Star Wars Jump to Lightspeed

I got this off the Lucasarts site:

What will combat be like in Jump to Lightspeed?

In order to capture the frenetic feel of Star Wars® space battles, combat in Jump to Lightspeed is designed to be a fast-paced, real-time experience. Players will utilize "twitch" skills bolstered by special abilities gained through exploring RPG-style skill trees.

How does Jump to Lightspeed integrate with Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided?

Jump to Lightspeed integrates almost seamlessly with the ground game, An Empire Divided. Your ground character will be able to own a starship and learn new skills. The only significant difference is in the combat gameplay, which will focus much more on player skill (“twitch”) than character skill (“RPG”), though a character’s skills will still play an important role. Additionally, the content will be much more directed as players undertake more than 100 story-driven quests in order to advance.

Guess this means no more X-Wing games instead we're stuck having to pay to play after buying the game.

I really miss the X-Wing games

I don't but from what I've heard on Tv, and what I read on the net, the new expansion is supposed to be a lot like X-Wing in gameplay, that and Lucas Arts seems to be concentrating a lot on the newer stuff and less on the OT. I just figure the only thing close to X-WIng we're gonna get is Lightspeed.

Jump To Lightspeed is the sort of add-on that would almost make me play a MMORPG, even though I hate them with a passion. With all due respect to the game designers, when I imagine living in the Star Wars universe the last thing I'd want to do is be a fisherman, or a basket weaver. I understand that's the price you pay for having an actual player-based economy, and I'm sure that there's still people out there who'd be happy as a pig in sh*t just to run a restaurant on Bespin, but that's not what "Star Wars" is to me.

heh, its a shame that most of the people that played Galaxies have since left to play either Final Fantasy XI or City of Heros, not to mention the upcoming World of Warcraft...

looks like this is just a desperate bid to be back in the popularity game.

Ah, the X-Wing series. Yeah, LA decided after XWA there will be no more games of the type set in the original trilogy period. Reason being the major push of crappy games set in Ep.I in 1998.

There were hopes among us Larry Holland/Totally Games fans for an Imperial expansion pack for XWA, giving a revamp to what was done with TIE Fighter/Defender of the Empire.

I don't count the Rogue Squadron series of games into the X-Wing series. I remember trying out RS and was immediately turned off by the "bubble" where the battle takes place and sends me back 180 degrees without my command. Felt more like a rail shooter with a little lee-way. Next thing: Uninstall.

Yes, the wreath of the X-Wing series was cast into the water in 1998.

Tie Fighter remains one of the best games I have ever played.

Made me a firm Empire fan.

Hell yeah. The propaganda as an imperial pilot was the most fun. Damn I loved that game. If they remade TIE Fighter with a modern game engine, I'd go nuts :)

heh, its a shame that most of the people that played Galaxies have since left to play either Final Fantasy XI or City of Heros, not to mention the upcoming World of Warcraft...

looks like this is just a desperate bid to be back in the popularity game.

And as one of those people who left to play those other games (CoH rocks), albeit not altogether, I say it's NOT a "Desperate bid" at anything. We knew about a space expansion during beta. It's not like this is new information. And if we wanna get real technical we (we being the players who still play and are a bit more hard core than others) knew that it wouldn't be out until fall of this year. We waited, we're being rewarded. I see nothing desperate about it.

On another note, the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series were all pretty much great, but as Phyrox said, Alliance was the last. Alas, great games don't make companies big, it's the little tiny POS games that bring them money, so great licenses die hard.

Cold hard truth of the video game world.

IGN article from E3

The above link is straight to the 3rd page of an article regarding the Space Expansion for SWG.

It says that it will support joysticks which holds some hope for us X-Wing series fans. What still worries me, among lots of other SWG gamers from the official forums, is the "Basically, all you need to do is to click on enemy to start firing" from the 1st page of the same article. *shudders*

You can find some more news at the Official SWG Forums, but be warned: Though it can be informative as to what's current in SWG, it's the biggest flamefest on a forum that isn't a politically oriented forum. Digging through the legitimate posts can be discouraging. And this is coming from a new comer of 2 months.

One last thing: I would pay good money if TIE Fighter received an update with today's technology. To this day it is still one of the best game's I've ever played also.

"For the greater glory of the Empire, DESTROY EVERTHING!!!"

Edited to add: One last thing I forgot that bothered me from the article: No collission detection between starfighters. And something the developers said which caused some anguish: Regular TIEs with hyperdrives.

Edited by Warmaker

From what I have seen of JTL so far I will steer clear, sorry but I want another X-wing type game, not another freelancer, which this seems to be becoming. DOn't get me wrong Freelancer was fun, but there was no real flight to it, give me a stick, throttle and rudder pedals anyday over a freaking mouse to fly. As for XWA there is a project underway to try and revamp the game, they have done a great job so far, the XWAU, X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project: http://www.xwaupgrade.com they are always looking for more modelers and texture artists as well. There are other related projects as well, one guy is converting all the Tie-Fighter missions to XWA, which when combined with the XWAU should be beauty. Fan missions, campaigns, new ships etc... always being made and inserted into the game as well, the community is pretty active becuase the game is so moddable, if it is more than a bit dated now. Also is it just me or does every screenshot from JTL show the Ties with only a single engine? COrrect me if I am wrong but TIE stands for Twin Ion Engine, and all cannonical evidence points to a twin engined fighter, not single engined, just what is Lucasarts thinking?

Yeah, I'm aware of the XWAUpgrade. I know of many of the members since the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter days. The project has been very slow, but the quality is undeniable. In fact, it seemed the upgrade was going to die off several times but they've been dedicated and churned out some very beautiful stuff. They've done practically all the Alliance & Imperial fighters done and we've seen a couple starships. The Imperial Star Destroyer is a beauty to behold.

I'm wishing the guy whose doing the TIE Fighter conversion my best wishes. There's already a icon pack to replace those PANSY Rebel icons, Imperial hangars (from inside an ISD), and an Imperial Concourse (TIE Fighter CD), so we are getting closer from leaving the Rebel lovefest that XWA is :p

It's a shame fans have to do something like this for the dead X-Wing series.

Fighting for my life against 6 A-wings in a Tie Bomber is part of the fun of tie fighter. (I won that fight of course.)

Actualy using that manuverability to your advantage in a Tie Interceptor was great. Then you got the new limited run uber-ties and it was gravy as you layed waste to x-wings en masse.

The game gave you all the training you needed to be an ace. It's a benchmark that all space sims should have looked to. It and WC3.

X-wing Alliance I didn't care for. The BS family plot missions killed the enjoyment for me.

I miss that golden era. Shame Wing Commander has faded to nothing as well. Prophecy was pretty good, but it needed it's sequels to beef up the story and new designs. What came through that gate in WCP was supposed to be a Nephilim scout party with older designs (that's what I remember reading at least).

Back to star wars space sims, if it's not better than Tie Fighter, I'm not touching it.

What this space add on sounds like is comparable to the arcade game.

The gamecube games didn't do much for me either.

COrrect me if I am wrong but TIE stands for Twin Ion Engine, and all cannonical evidence points to a twin engined fighter, not single engined, just what is Lucasarts thinking?

i was thinking that too. unless lucas changed twin to tiny ion engine.

nice ava anubis btw ;)

Hell yeah. The propaganda as an imperial pilot was the most fun. Damn I loved that game. If they remade TIE Fighter with a modern game engine, I'd go nuts :)

Not to mention how fun it was getting into The Inner Circle (IIRC). Now that was a video game series!

COrrect me if I am wrong but TIE stands for Twin Ion Engine, and all cannonical evidence points to a twin engined fighter, not single engined, just what is Lucasarts thinking?

i was thinking that too. unless lucas changed twin to tiny ion engine.

nice ava anubis btw ;)

twin ions perhaps?

I dunno, for some reason the sim games never grabbed me. I'll admit that I have never sat down and actually played them for more than 5 min though, but I hear they're awesome. I do like the Rogue Squadron series just because of the arcade feel that I am a fan of. Plus, it was a load of fun playing through co-op with my friend and blowing up both Death Stars in Rogue Leader(Rebel Strike).