Steampowered

Radd

Mea Culpa for this blatant self advertising, but since this is pretty much my favourite forum to post in and yet I still never seem to share my artwork around here, I figured I'd show off just this once.

http://steampowered.net

I've got a webcomic going now, once a week, just uploaded page 3 a few minutes ago. Because you guys are so great, here's page 4 for once you finish the publicly posted pages:

http://steampowered.net/temp/comictemp4.html

Aside from what's posted as the web comic page (wich also serves as my professional site) I've got art stashed away at http://radd.twu.net wich has all my fan art, commissioned artwork I've done, and some older pieces. Whenever I get around to finishing some of that Macross fanart I've been working on, that's where it will wind up (VF-4 fans, look forward to it!).

In addition to all this, there's a comic anthology being published over the summer that I'm doing a 20 page black and white story for. If that sells well enough, then they're going to print bi-monthly and sell through comic book stores. I'm not certain what I'm able to reveal about it just yet, so I'll leave it at that.

:blink:AWSOME WORK!

I wish I could draw like that, very expressive character designs...very cool style :D

Let us know when the book is coming out, and where to get it (through Diamond?)

I've been working at developing a comic too...ironicly also steampunk basied...

http://www.deviantart.com/view/6658323/

Thats a rather old concept piece showing a mecha and early character design (real styleized, almost Peter Chung like) :p

Anyway awsome stuff, looking forword to the book...and your site has been bookmarked :D

Very, very professional, Radd. Your designs and coloring are excellent... but I find the speech bubbles/lettering a bit distracting...

Looking forward to reading more.

BTW - Page 5 is nice too. ;)

Edited by Blaine23

Many thanks for all the compliments, it's very much appreciated. I'll do my best to keep it updated weekly without missing deadlines (as you can see I'm already a couple weeks ahead of myself, and I already have another page all layed out, just needs colours). I'm having a lot of fun with it, and it's kept me drawing more than I otherwise would be.

MSW, I think Steampunk is already gearing up to be the next big thing. I just hope I can make a name for myself before it becomes to cliche. I've been a big fan of the genre for over 10 years, it would stink to miss out on it finally becoming popular.

Chewie, I believe in the good neighbor policy. If they don't bother me, I won't bother them, but if they try and sue me, well, it would just be neighborly of me to point out that they don't have a leg to stand on. I've had the website for well over a year now, so I don't think there's any problem.

Blaine23, yup the word bubbles do kind of suck for the first four pages. I think I found my groove with page 5, and I'll hopefully continue to improve. This is the first time I've put serious effort into a comic, I normally just do quick, sketchy doodles.

Wow, my girlfriend just won Reverend Horton Heat tickets for tomorrow night! Woo!

Edited by Radd

• 3 months later...

A sneak peak at some future Steampowered pages. Just because.

Page 19

Page 20

I'm also planning to redesign the site in the not so distant future. I want to make the site itself more visually appealing. It's looking a bit too plain to my eyes.

The art is amazing. I'm very impressed.

The story... Sorry, Radd, but the silly deconstruction of a genre has been done by every other web comic I've ever seen. What's wrong with a real story? I'm not impuning your talent as an artist or a writer here, but I simply find your choice in subject to be over done and not really that funny.

I wasn't actually aware I was deconstructing a genre with the webcomic. It's just a silly little pieceI wrote back in highschool that a lot of people I've shown it to seemed to like.

Why did I use something I wrote 7 years ago for the webcomic? A couple reasons. The first reason is, there's 4 year's worth of material already written, it just needs to be redrawn. I don't have to think of a new idea until that's done with. That frees me up to work on other things, wich brings me to the second reason. The new story I've been writing is being published. This new story is much more coherent, and has an actual theme and plot, as well as character developement and all that other fun stuff.

I've already done a short piece for Otazine, as mentioned above, and I'll more than likely do a second. Depending on how well Otazine does I'll either continue publishing through that, or shop the idea around to companies like Antarctic Press, Radio Comics, or even some larger scale operations.

By that time hopefully I'll have improved my drawing skills further, gotten a helluva lot faster, and improved my comic layouts as well s my use of word balloons and narration boxes. Right now my layouts are pretty simplistic. I'd like to get away from that by the time I have a full colour book on the shelves.

However, as things go with the webcomic, I'm also trying to write in entirely new sections to the already existing story, and polish some parts up a bit here and there. As the opportunity presents itself in the original material, I'm also going to try and better develope some themes and ideas that, while already present in the old comic, aren't that well defined. We'll see how that goes, but that's mostly book two wich I won't get to for a while yet.

• 2 weeks later...

wip.jpg

Work in progress for page 25. A little bit in this first book, and much more in book 2, I plan to push the whole Bavarian Army of Destruction, and their plans to take over the world.

Yeah, Hubert, I've been sneaking in references here and there. The Deathshadow is one of the ships floating in the background of one of the pages, as well as a MOSPEADA ship, a Zentradi ship, the Hyperion from LotGH, and I think a few others. The main ship that gets zoiped is heavily Matsumoto inspired, but not really from anything.

By the time I get to book 2, there will be enough pages that, hopefully, people will forgive it for not being a joke a week strip.

Very nice! Have yet to get to the first comic, but it'll be a fun read! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow mate! that is great, Victorian era-sih Steampunk is my favorite genre ever.... I love it... relaly nice looking work, are you drawing and inking and writing by yourself? Fantastic looking work, love all the little cameos. I'm not big on reading web comics (hurts my eyes) but I would sign right up for this if it gets published. Keep it up.

• 2 months later...

04-16-05.jpg

Woot! 50 pages!

Also, I'm doing Otazine again this year, so if any of you are hitting up Otakon be sure to check it out (this year both the writing and the art are much better than the webcomic). The Otazine comic shares many of same characters as the webcomic, but is less comedic and has much more of a plot.

Here's a sneak peek at my Otazine submission for this year:

page8_textless.jpg

Finally, May 1st is the one year mark for the webcomic. I've already gone back and redone all the word balloons as well as made some improvements to some of the artwork so I can have the first 46 pages printed up to sell as books at conventions. I also plan to redo the website so it will look much better, more professional (at least I hope it will). I've already sent the files off the printer, wich any luck I should have the books in hand in time for AnimeCentral in May.