Gunbuster 2 is on the way

Yay. So not only are they trying to continue a story that had such an excellent ending that it didn't need it, but they've also decided to invalidate what's gone on before? I really hate it when people say things like "such-and-such company has sold out," because they are companies and their job is to do things that make money. But, I feel that Gainax is demonstrating a lack of integrity with this project. I will not buy this show, nor will I even bother to watch it.

My first thought was, "oh God, please no", then I thoguht to myself, this is Gainax we are talking about. It might turn out to be bloody brilliant.

I hope you're right. :)

GunBuster was more of an homage than a parody. I really didn't think of it as a parody at all actually.

In that way, Gunbuster was meant to be "Macross-ish", which is something similar but also different in being a parody or a homage.

Btw, the design sucks.

FV

you think they will go witht he semi lesbian relation ship with the girls.

Who knows? It was rumored to have been that way with the original series, but as we all know Kazumi was definitely hot and heavy for the Coach as was Jung. Noriko, on the other hand, well... Let's just say she really appreciated her "older sister" to the point of maybe loving her. Then again, there was Smith...

(i might get shot for this....)

"what's Gunbuster??" *crickets chirp*.....*more crickets chirp*...

*sigh*

Gunbuster was GAINAX's second major project after the 1987 film Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honneamise. It was a parody of the classic anime Ace o Nerae!, the sci-fi novel Starship Troopers and the Super Robot genre. Released in 1988, the six-episode OAV series was directed by Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cutie Honey) with character designs by Haruhiko Mikimoto (Macross, Orguss) and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL), and mechanical designs by Kazutaka Miyatake (Macross, Dirty Pair) and Koichi Ohata (Macross II, Genocyber). Music was composed by Kohei Tanaka (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar).

Gunbuster first hit US shores on late 1989 on subtitled VHS format through U.S. Renditions. The series was last seen under licence by Manga Entertainment. So far, we have yet to see a Region 1 DVD release.

For more information, check out Noriko Takaya's page or my page.

Edited by areaseven

i'm sort of interested in the sequel, but won't hold any high hopes for it as from what i've seen so far it doesn't look like it's going to be the same style as the original.

If anyone is after a DVD release of Gunbuster (the original), there is an official UK Kiseki release that can be had for about £6 (+ shipping if you're outside the UK).

although it has an annoying edit for the bath scene (done to lower the rating it got), and some pretty poor subs.

I haven't seen it so can't vouch for the picture quality though.

If anyone is after a DVD release of Gunbuster (the original), there is an official UK Kiseki release that can be had for about £6 (+ shipping if you're outside the UK).

although it has an annoying edit for the bath scene (done to lower the rating it got), and some pretty poor subs.

I haven't seen it so can't vouch for the picture quality though.

Those poor subs are from the US Renditions version of Gunbuster released by their parent company, Nippon Shuppan Hanbai, USA. You'd figure that with a Japanese company handling the translations, you'd get a perfect translation, but that is not the case. By the way, Trish Ledoux, who handled the translations of episodes 3 through 6 is fluent in Japanese, and those later episodes are considered to be pretty close to the original. The first two are a disgrace.

As for the Kiseki release, the picture quality is pretty bad. My VHS copies have a better image quality than this DVD, and that ain't saying much since the DVD is a direct rip of the VHS edition.

I've found out a little more information about the new sequel's crew. It's rather minor, but interesting altogether.

Soundtrack: Kohei Tanaka

Editorial Supervision: Hideaki Anno

Well, It's great that they are getting Kohei Tanaka back to do the new soundtrack. I loved his background music for the original Gunbuster. However, I'm kind of surprised that Hideaki Anno would give his blessing to this travesty after seeing what these new designs are like. Maybe it'll turn out okay after all.

We'll see...

I've found out a little more information about the new sequel's crew. It's rather minor, but interesting altogether.
Soundtrack: Kohei Tanaka

Editorial Supervision: Hideaki Anno

Well, It's great that they are getting Kohei Tanaka back to do the new soundtrack. I loved his background music for the original Gunbuster. However, I'm kind of surprised that Hideaki Anno would give his blessing to this travesty after seeing what these new designs are like. Maybe it'll turn out okay after all.

We'll see...

Well...Anno's doing the live action cutie honey...so....I think Gunbuster 2 designs are pretty much nothing. I mean come on, he even did Ebichu, that horny hamster show. Character designs mean noting to Anno. He can Anno-fy anything.

However, I'm kind of surprised that Hideaki Anno would give his blessing to this travesty after seeing what these new designs are like.

After the wreck that was Evangelion and him dropping the ball on Kare Kano I'd hardly hold him as any sign of quality anyway.

Just because some people didn't like Eva doesn't qualify it as a wreck. Eva is one of the most popular anime of all time. Bound to have people who didn't like it...hardly a wreck though.

sorry to ask this, but in regards to the original Gunbuster, what is the one most of u have seen as such?

theres the kiseki which sounds like i should give it a miss cuz of the crappy pic quality and sound but with decent subtitles, but then theres another hk? one that has good picture but bad translations? has anyone seen that one to say to me"stick with kiseki, much better!''?

six of one, half dozen of the other, not sure which would be better to get :huh:

any help? :(

Thanks

sorry to ask this, but in regards to the original Gunbuster, what is the one most of u have seen as such?

theres the kiseki which sounds like i should give it a miss cuz of the crappy pic quality and sound but with decent subtitles, but then theres another hk? one that has good picture but bad translations? has anyone seen that one to say to me"stick with kiseki, much better!''?

six of one, half dozen of the other, not sure which would be better to get :huh:

any help? :(

Thanks

If you want a subtitled version that is uncut, try to find all 3 volumes on eBay. Sure, they'll be on VHS, but they're better than nothing. Either the Manga version or the US Renditions version will do. The Manga version is a rip of the original anyways. Otherwise, the Kiseki version will do as an alternative if you don't mind the bathing room scene being cut out of episode 2.

If you know the story pretty well, and can follow along without subs, then I highly recommend buying the original Japanese releases. You can get those at CD Japan, which is about the cheapest I've seen them anywhere brand new.

Here are the URL's:

Gunbuster Volume One

Gunbuster Volume Two

Gunbuster Volume Three

Ah, i see. I have no real understanding of the story as yet, but i dont know what is worse, bad pic or misleading story and bad translation! I have the gatchaman that was badly translated and... it *does* take away from the story ... quite a bit actually :(

The auction i was going to get was this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...4191974558&rd=1

cuz didn't really know if i would like it, and it was cheap :p

I dont think i can really get vhs cuz, apart from shiping costig a lot more, I may not even like it*but i really doubt it judging from whats being said bout it.. i now have to find a gunbuster kit of Noriko? somewhere heheh* :p:p

THanks for ur help mate :)

• 3 weeks later...

I did some BabelFishing on the keywords from the official website. Still doesn't make sense.

Topless - Free motion and the occurrence of energy which are not restricted to physical law the catalyst are done, "super ability" and, it is that owner. Principle is unclear.

Fraternity - Each school which possesses the topless () combination organization of student council such as space training school. Monopolizing the use of the topless and the bus tar machine, it does. Substantial anti- space monstrous beast interception unit.

Buster Machine - The large-sized machine weapon for the anti- space monstrous beast which can operate only the topless (the human model weapon). The various NBC are equipped in every fuselage.

Uchuu Kaijuu (Space Monsters) - From the Milky Way center the natural enemy of the mankind who invades. Inside solar system you loiter, attack the fleet.

The official website is now up.

http://www.top2.jp/

top2_title.gif

In addition to the new website, Gainax has released their own Aim for the Top! 2 site if anyone is interested: http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/top2/index.html.

Interesting to note is that Gainax posted just today that they are going to have monthly follow-ups to the new series until its release date of 09/24/04 in the Japanese edition of NewType. It seems that Gainax is still sticking to this release date also, even though I've heard it may be delayed. One other little bit of information is that the new Buster Machine is 50 meters tall, so I guess the original Gunbuster still holds the record of being the largest robot ever made at 250 meters.

Below is a small picture of character images from the July issue of NewType. If any one gets this issue, please post larger pics of these pages.

nt0610.jpg