Gundam 25th Anniversary Surprise

They announced a while ago they were doing a Zeta compilation trilogy. It's nice to see it's well on it's way if it's ready enough to be mazazine highlighted.

I really wish Bandai went with just doing a whole new movie with fresh animation. With all the advances in CG (like in the Gundam Evolove episodes) they should've blended CD and traditonal animation much like in Mac-0 or Blue Sub 6....It'd bring a younger audience that'd look to the original series after watching the movie (or OVA)...In a way this sounds much like how Bandai got a large following once the 3 Gundam movies were released. I guess Bandai is trying to get people more into the older Gundam shows. I just really hope they don't make it into some kind of pansy anime (Zeta was very dark and not a "pansy" anime). I just hope Bandai doesn't totally botch up the series <_<

I really wish Bandai went with just doing a whole new movie with fresh animation. With all the advances in CG (like in the Gundam Evolove episodes) they should've blended CD and traditonal animation much like in Mac-0 or Blue Sub 6....It'd bring a younger audience that'd look to the original series after watching the movie (or OVA)...In a way this sounds much like how Bandai got a large following once the 3 Gundam movies were released. I guess Bandai is trying to get people more into the older Gundam shows. I just really hope they don't make it into some kind of pansy anime (Zeta was very dark and not a "pansy" anime). I just hope Bandai doesn't totally botch up the series  <_<

They should quit all this Seed and G-Saviour crap, and animate Gundam Sentinel. They finally have the CG technology to do those mobile suits justice.

Edited by fulcy

I hope the movies are at least animated. Not looking for something the level of Gundam SEED but something the level of the animation that is in the games such as Journy to Jaburo and Zeonic Front(the special movie in it detailing/overviewing the OYW from the Zeon side). Really good examples of MSG with updated animation, this what I wish the Zeta movies will look like.

I really wish Bandai went with just doing a whole new movie with fresh animation. With all the advances in CG (like in the Gundam Evolove episodes) they should've blended CD and traditonal animation much like in Mac-0 or Blue Sub 6....It'd bring a younger audience that'd look to the original series after watching the movie (or OVA)...In a way this sounds much like how Bandai got a large following once the 3 Gundam movies were released. I guess Bandai is trying to get people more into the older Gundam shows. I just really hope they don't make it into some kind of pansy anime (Zeta was very dark and not a "pansy" anime). I just hope Bandai doesn't totally botch up the series  <_<

They should quit all this Seed and G-Saviour crap, and animate Gundam Sentinel. They finally have the CG technology to do those mobile suits justice.

Amen Brother!

Talk about a complete waste of time project - a compilation of a 20 year old series that doesn't need redoing.

Funny how all the UC Gundam fans who endlessly railed on SEED for being "unoriginal", and bashed Bandai for being sell outs for doing something 'safe' to make money are fawning over this, the ultimate low risk pandering to the UC fanbase to make a quick buck.

Talk about a complete waste of time project - a compilation of a 20 year old series that doesn't need redoing.

Funny how all the UC Gundam fans who endlessly railed on SEED for being "unoriginal", and bashed Bandai for being sell outs for doing something 'safe' to make money are fawning over this, the ultimate low risk pandering to the UC fanbase to make a quick buck.

It might not necessarily be a waste of time. The three MSG compilation movies had a considerable chunk of new animation. Heaven knows how much we'll get to see in Zeta.

Besides, I welcome this movie compilation. I dread long series, and the three MSG movies were the welcome change I wanted. As much as I would like to see Zeta in all its full glory, I'd rather watch three compilation movies with new footage than watch 49 episodes of crappy fansubs or cheap Hong Kong bootlegs.

I'll take a rehash of a good, solid series over a new POS like G-Saviour any day.

Original does not equal good.

Bandai obviously realized they've alienated a lot of old school fans with Seed and are trying to recapture some of the core audience that are leaving Gundam for good.

G-savior does not deserve to be mentioned with Gundam. Someday it will become a coaster, for now it resides on the shelf as a reminder of the dark side of live action anime-based movies.

G-savior does not deserve to be mentioned with Gundam. Someday it will become a coaster, for now it resides on the shelf as a reminder of the dark side of live action anime-based movies.

Yeah, I understand that. I remember when I saw it as Best Buy with like a half-off sticker or somthing like that, anyway, it was gundam and it looked interesting, so I bought it. I took it home, popped it into the DVD player, and was quickly, and rudely disapointed.

Zeta Gundam deserves a redo because it has a solid storyline and great mech designs.

It will be good if they make the battle scene in 3DCG but I don't mind modern day 2D animation either.

The only thing I worry about is the production crew. If Zeta movie is a new thing, will the same people who did the TV Zeta do the Zeta movie?

IMHO I feel that the mech designs in Zeta are still "fresh" and really deserve the CG treatment much like the Gundam Evolve episodes I stated earlier, or at least a good 2D as ogami stated. This anime deserves to be redone as much as any other anime of it's calibur. In a perfect world Bandai would've gone more with what the fans wanted than what THEY wanted.

IMHO I feel that the mech designs in Zeta are still "fresh" and really deserve the CG treatment much like the Gundam Evolve episodes I stated earlier, or at least a good 2D as ogami stated. This anime deserves to be redone as much as any other anime of it's calibur. In a perfect world Bandai would've gone more with what the fans wanted than what THEY wanted.

I hope Bandai is taking this project seriously...

How seriously do they have to take it?  It's a compilation movie...

Just some editing to be done.

No no really knows for sure it is a compilation movie or new movie. It can be anything...

Edited by ogami

Found on http://aeug.blogspot.com/

Ending well over a year of rumors, leaks, and speculation, monthly magazine Newtype's radio CM officially announced the Zeta compilation.

Translation of the 40 sec CM (beginning part) - "Now on sale, the June issue of Newtype is a must see for Gundam fans. Finally, finally the Zeta compilation is official. Created as part of Gundam's 25th Anniversary, let Newtype bring you this scoop."

The use of the word compilation leads me to the conclusion that this will indeed be a compilation movie.

Found on http://aeug.blogspot.com/
Ending well over a year of rumors, leaks, and speculation, monthly magazine Newtype's radio CM officially announced the Zeta compilation.

Translation of the 40 sec CM (beginning part) - "Now on sale, the June issue of Newtype is a must see for Gundam fans. Finally, finally the Zeta compilation is official. Created as part of Gundam's 25th Anniversary, let Newtype bring you this scoop."

The use of the word compilation leads me to the conclusion that this will indeed be a compilation movie.

Some of the Japanese website are saying that the movie is new...

whatever。。。 I am happy as long as Bandai doesn't screw it up. :D

While we're on the subject of Gundam I am slowly getting into the UC universe. I just finished watching Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory and Char's Counterattack (plus I've seen Gundam F91 a long time ago).

Should I watch Mobile Suit Gundam, 8th MS Team, Gundam 080, or Zeta Gundam next? I was suprised at how good the quality of animation in Stardust Memory (although the story was a bit lacking) was, when I picked up Char's Counterattack I thought it'd be of the same quality.

D'OH. :p

Should I watch Mobile Suit Gundam, 8th MS Team, Gundam 080, or Zeta Gundam next? I was suprised at how good the quality of animation in Stardust Memory (although the story was a bit lacking) was, when I picked up Char's Counterattack I thought it'd be of the same quality.

Anybody who hasn't seen 0080 by now should just turn in their MSiA and join a different fandom.

While we're on the subject of Gundam I am slowly getting into the UC universe. I just finished watching Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory and Char's Counterattack (plus I've seen Gundam F91 a long time ago).

D'OH. :p

You should watch the shows you missed in that order. Go with the movies unless you're getting the HK boot of the full TV series of MSG - the R1 DVD is English only and was lacking an episode that was voted by Gundam Ace readers as one of the top 10 episodes of all time.

Bandai did Gundam a huge disservice by releasing CCA before Zeta is released. You miss out a lot on the dynamics between Amuro and Char without having seen Zeta beforehand.

CCA was released only about 2 years before 0083, I don't think the animation quality is significantly inferior. In fact, having re-watched 0083 recently, its animation quality is not as good as I remembered it.

watch the First Gundam Movie Trilogy. While the First Gundam series is good, the movies are the prefered canon and the timeline of events in the movies differ from the series. Also, the movies are used as canon in the sequel series (most notably 08th MS Team, Zeta Gundam).

Plus the movies replace/remove some of the more "super-robot"ish designs like the G-Armor (replaced with the Core Booster) and several of Zeon's mobile armor and mobile suit designs (most notibly Grabro and Gyan).

CCA was released only about 2 years before 0083, I don't think the animation quality is significantly inferior. In fact, having re-watched 0083 recently, its animation quality is not as good as I remembered it.

0083 has a much "cleaner" look to the animation; however I think it makes use of more "shortcuts" than CCA, which probably benefitted from a movie budget. CCA, to me, is one of the last of the "old school" big-budget anime films... :lol: