1/20 ZOIDS GOREM ROCKS!

I picked up the WAVE/TOMY reissue of the Gorem last weekend and finally found time to put it together. Originally sold as 1/24 scale, the reissue is marked as 1/20 scale because it better reflects the size of the pilot figure. The fitting of the parts is excellent, with only the seam on the curvy cockpit halves being a bit more evident.

01.jpg

The Gorem is about 22cm tall to the 1/20 Kaiyodo Powered Suit's 10cm. Too bad there aren't a whole lot of 1/20 scale toys out there, unless you want to get more of the Zoids 24 reissues. :-)

02.jpg

The level of detailing on the Gorem is really good. The cockpit has a nicely molded seat, headrest and control panels. The figure fits inside easily and there's even a slot to hold his submachine gun. This is almost on par with the 1/24 Votoms, except of course, this is more of a toy than a model.

03.jpg

The toy-ness is evident when you put in a C-size battery and turn the switch on. The 'eye' lights up and the gatling gun starts up, impelled via an ingenious flexible rotating spring cord. The walking motion is smooth but I find that the legs don't grip tiled floors very well. The gatling gun can also be positioned on top of the back engine block for purely AA action.

04.jpg

The large red LED also lights up the cockpit instrument panel. The red glow is very evident thru the white plastic shell. I plan to paint the inside walls opaque.

05.jpg

Lastly, what fun is a battery-op toy? Especially to more 'adult' collectors? Well, for the Gorem, its great design was the first draw for me. I didn't realize until quite recently that the Gorem and several other 1/24 Zoids were designed by Kow Yokoyama of SF3D fame. If you tweak the positions of the gears just right, it can balance on 3 limbs, leaving one free for some improvised static poses... I LIKE!

Now I've got to get some paint for this beauty. :-)

Ah, crap - why'd you have to give it such a glowing review? I was going to try and avoid this one (and the Deathpion reissue - something about a fear the GF has of lobsters), but now that you've given such high praise to it, I am very very tempted!!!

Actually, the only thing that's 'glowing' is the LED eye! :-)

The Gorem was one Zoid that I really struggled over whether to buy back when it first came out. I had gone thru a 'Zoids phase' when I was younger and managed to collect quite a few like Red Horn and Gordos. Then as I got older, battery-op toys became boring and fell out of favor. When the original Zoids 24 series came out, I was intrigued once again by the different styling and cool designs. But since I didn't have much spending money, I had to pass. Now that the reissues are here, I'm really glad to finally have one. I'm still debating whether to get the Deathspion as well... I like the Gorem best because its gorilla design still resembled a humanoid robotic form.

After the shots were taken, I took the Gorem apart and started to sand and prep the parts for painting. It's now in pieces all over my desk!

Wish I had the display room to put the Gorem and Deathpion reissues I picked up. These are definitely the coolest of the older Zoids, IMHO. By the way, is the Deathpion molded in a different color than the original? I can't tell since I haven't opened the box for the reissue yet.

That Golem's cool. (I've seen it spelled both ways) I've been thinking about picking a larger sized Zoid from HLJ, and a couple extra weapons.

I've been looking at the Liger Zero Pheonix. I'm sucker for animal like mecha, and that one looks like it could be detailed and weathered to look like something that's been hrough a couple of wars. The Energy Liger looks pretty nice too, but I'm not a huge fan of the color red. Either way, I'd probably customize it, somehow.

drifand,

would you mind if i ask how much did you pay for the toy?

thanks

d

Well, I paid about US$55 for mine from a local dealer in Singapore. Japanese online dealer Amenbo lists it for 4500 yen (MSRP is 5000 yen) before shipping.

Next time I hit town I'll also be looking for some Zoids optional weapons packs... Gorem deserves a lot more than just ONE gatling gun and some smoke dischargers! :-)

Edited by drifand

drifand,

would you mind if i ask how much did you pay for the toy?

thanks

d

Well, I paid about US$55 for mine from a local dealer in Singapore. Japanese online dealer Amenbo lists it for 4500 yen (MSRP is 5000 yen) before shipping.

Next time I hit town I'll also be looking for some Zoids optional weapons packs... Gorem deserves a lot more than just ONE gatling gun and some smoke dischargers! :-)

thanks...you made me want zoids again... please post pix of the weapons when you get them...

• 2 weeks later...

Weapons added! Plus a small but neat mod... mostly made from various kitbashed Zoids Customize Parts sets.

07.jpg

Here it is, decked out with a CP07 Cannon Unit on its back, and a jerry rigged radar dish from CP13 Field Weasel Unit. The attachment points for the cannon are the two 'handles' meant for the pilot figure to grasp when standing on the rear platform. The width is just nice, but the handles are a bit too thin for a good grip... thicken with putty/tape/etc for a better fit.

08.jpg

Close-up of the cannon in forward firing position. Since there isn't any space for traditional ammo rounds, I figure this piece has to be a direct-fire beam weapon. Pilot can observe his hits directly thru the top hatch. Radar dish has been brutally sanded to remove 3 coarse mold-ejection marks.

09.jpg

Back view, with cannon and radar in stowed position. Without any other 'handles', the pilot figure won't be able to stand on the rear platform anymore... no big loss.

10.jpg

Other changes are under the hood. Notice the gadget below the 'grill' under the eye? That's a folding armature made from bits and pieces from other Zoids CP sets. I even cut out a rounded groove on the top of the chestplate to accommodate the extending cylinder.

11.jpg

A closer look with the chestplate removed. Easy to understand, yes? The double linkage is very firm and when folded out acts as a prop to hold the chestplate open for 'maintenance access'. The white rod is from a piece of Tamiya Plastic Beam (3mm).

12.jpg

Here it is, with the chestplate back in place and held open by the armature underneath. Neat!

13.jpg

Finally, I added some detail to the exposed battery cover by gluing two spare 'piston arms' from another CP set to the sides of the cover. Not very noticeable, but I like to know it's there instead of the giant 'PUSH' instruction printed there.

That's all the mods I think I want to do for this baby. Now starting putty work!

Nice mods! Saw your original msg on ToyBox & was pleasantly surprised to see you post on it here too!

Gorem is the coolest of the 1/20 scale Zoids, IMHO. Spread the word! Besides, it's better to shell out 50 bucks now, instead the crazzy-ass 200 + the originals were goin' for very recently. Anyone that picks this model/ toy up will NOT be disappointed. It's easy to build & looks F'n cool when completed. I picked up Deathpion some time ago, & it is mighty fine as well! I've had the reissues for awhile, but haven't had a chance to do 'em up like I'd like to. These biggie scale Zoids just beg to be given the extra special paint & modeling treatment.

It'll be fun to see how you finish him up, Drifand!

PS - Are the 1/20 Zoids REALLY Yow's designs or did he just do the cover art?

Edited by Amped

Hi Amped,

Over on TBDX, there was some discussion about Kow's exact involvement in the Zoids 24 series too. But since nobody there is a real Zoids expert, we don't know for sure either. I did buy the hardcover Maschingen Krieger Encyclopedia last year, and in the back section there's a small article about the Zoids 24 series featuring a very cool grunged-up Gorem in Kow's SF3D style. It had a bubble canopy instead of the grilled eye, plus powered-suit style hip armor flaps on the hind legs. I can't read Japanese very well, but it does seem to mention that Kow was involved in concept design, packaging and production.

As for the package painting, those were by the great Yoshiyuki Takani, who also did numerous illustrations for Macross, Gundam and many others.

When is that Crabcannon Zoid that looks like a Masamune Shirow tank design coming out?

Look no further than Toys R' Us where that model i.e Cannon Spider is on clearence for $4.00 also the rest of their Zoids stock is on clearence.

Heh, I noticed Drifand replaced the Kaiyodo Powered Suit's "Hair Dryer" hand flamer with what I'm guessing is an MSiA GP-01 beam rifle.

I love the Kaiyodo Powered Suit toy (currently own 5). I've also been looking for a better looking hand weapon for my Powered Suits. Oh well, I sold all my MSiA toys last year, so can't use their guns.

Graham

Heh, I noticed Drifand replaced the Kaiyodo Powered Suit's "Hair Dryer" hand flamer with what I'm guessing is an MSiA GP-01 beam rifle.

I love the Kaiyodo Powered Suit toy (currently own 5). I've also been looking for a better looking hand weapon for my Powered Suits. Oh well, I sold all my MSiA toys last year, so can't use their guns.

Graham

Ya, that's what I did :-)

I could live with the whole lot being lefties, but to arm them with such an unimpressive 'hairdryer' was unforgivable! Why not go thru the FIX figures? I'm sure they each have several spare rifles etc... I liked the FIX GP01's rifle because of the swiveling handle. I can use the left hand to grasp it and fake a 'right-handed' pose.

So Graham, what's your fav? The olive, tan or winter scheme?

So Graham, what's your fav? The olive, tan or winter scheme?

I'd have to say that the olive color scheme is my favorite, although I love them all. I've noticed the build quality on the boxed versions seems to be slightly better than the blister pack versions. In fact one of my tan suits came with the left elbow joint glued imobile. Luckily I managed to fix it.

I don't have the blister pack olive version. I have three of the Japanese 'large box' olive version. Is there a difference? Kanto Hobby had the boxed version reduced to HK$59 recently, so I snapped them all up :lol:

I've also got one white and two tan.....whoops, guess that means I have 6 not 5. I'm planning on buying one more white as well soon. Now I just need some good bug figures for them to fight.

I just wish Kaiyodo would buy the license to make toys of the Studio Nue designed Powered Suits from the 1988 anime. Although the design is very close, I slightly prefer the anime design.

Hmm.....wonder how the Powered Suits would look with the gun from this MSiA?

Graham

Zoids are great fodder for modding. Lots of random "scf-fi" parts.

Nice Gorem review, Drifand. Nice Gorem besides.

That over-the-shoulder cannon on that powered suit has always reminded of something else, and I finally figured out what it is: the cannon on the old Orguss transforming kit; minus the "shield" part. Very similar shape and detail.

That over-the-shoulder cannon on that powered suit has always reminded of something else, and I finally figured out what it is: the cannon on the old Orguss transforming kit; minus the "shield" part. Very similar shape and detail.

IMO the rear part of the over the shoulder cannon on the Powered Suit toy resembles the rear part of the Double Strike Cannon on the VF-1.

Graham

• 2 years later...

Well, to cut a long story short: I SCREWED UP BIG TIME!!!

I messed up my customizing work on the Gorem - my putty work was a mess and I ruined not just the smoke dischargers, but also the cockpit's interior walls. :-(

But that's all in the past now. Late in 2006, I found another Gorem kit for sale, but this time at a hefty mark-up. I didn't hesitate though and bought my Second Chance.

This time I just wanted to play it safe and paint it up as close to the standards of a Dual Model Zwei Scopedog, ie. a very nicely detailed toy. Strange how fate works: during storage, somehow I lost the parts for the BFG. So instead I had to scavange gun parts from elsewhere.

- New twin cannon from Command Wolf + radar dish, custom mount with swivel joint.

- Filled out cannon hollows with artcard, Tamiya rods and foam rubber sheets.

- Extra armor for the forearms as well as the sides of the new cannon.

- Scratch built 2 new sets of smoke dischargers from Tamiya cylinder rods because I didn't want to deal with the hollows again.

- Scratch built internal chest cannon detail.

- Added a neon orange cutout behind the face grill for static display purposes.

- Covered cockpit walls with foam rubber for detailing and to block stray lights.

- Used aluminum tape for the front hydraulic pistons instead of paint.

- Covered rear feet hollows, added foam rubber pads for all feet.

- Applied minimum decals.

- Added weathering with Gundam Markers.

- Sealed it all in with a Gunze MR SUPER CLEAR (Flat).

All done! :-)

IPB Image

Hey buddy, heard you got the ol' Gorilla fixed up. Show me what's new?

IPB Image

Sure thing! First up is the extra reactive armor for the upperarms. Too many units have been targeted at this weak point for too long!

IPB Image

And as you can see here... that 'chest cannon' isn't just a prop anymore! We actually got the armorers to refit a large caliber MG right into the chest.

IPB Image

For your station, you now have a rapidfire twin 80mm laser cannon with synthetic aperture radar guidance. On the move, the radar will synchronize with your helmet's built-in display for easier fire-control.

IPB Image

And for the drivers, we now have additional blast protection padding installed!

IPB Image

OK, systems checked! Let's rumble!

IPB Image

Power Arm Attack!

IPB Image

I'm tracking two enemy Zoids in flight...

IPB Image

Double Kong Attack!!

IPB Image

Through the white frontiers, Gorem leads the way!

Edited by drifand

OK, here's Gorem VS Scopedog deathmatch!

IPB Image

Two titans from TOMY and TAKARA have entered the battlefield... The Scopedog has speed and agility while Gorem holds steady with its mighty limbs!

IPB Image

Scopedog fires off a massive Arm Punch that throws off Gorem's backrider, BUT the attack is partially countered by Gorem's Power Hand. Uh oh! Looks like Chirico's 'dog may be thrown off balance...

IPB Image

Even the strongest armor is no match in the face of Gorem's onslaught.

IPB Image

Chirico makes his escape and lives to warn his TAKARA mates of the advance of the TOMY giant... But is it already TOO LATE?

Edited by drifand