I dropped my 1/48 today :(

fifbeat

I was adjusting some stuff on my shelves, then did something unexplainable and the damn thing fell :( It broke into a bunch of pieces just like that episode in Robotech when Rick drops his little model plane when he hears of the good news involving Roy...

It broke into all possible pieces that are removable. This is about 5 or 6 feet onto my carpet floor.

Miraculously, the only thing that really "broke" were the hinges that held the tail wing-board together. I was able to patch that up with a little glue.

My conclusion: These frakking things are built pretty damn good.

Final thoughts: I'm one clumsy prick.

Has any one else see their VF's take a crash landing... or am I the only idiot in this forum?

:blink:

Edited by fifbeat

sucks when a toy falls from that high...lucky for you, you've got carpet...wood floors in my house. only thing that's ever fallen from a great height are my 2 saint seiya myth figures...armor ALL over the place. luckily no pieces got lost and didn't see any damage.

btw, watch the language...not everybody likes that...not me tho...you can say f- all you want for all i care. :D

I was adjusting some stuff on my shelves, then did something unexplainable and the damn thing fell :( It broke into a bunch of pieces just like that episode in Robotech when Rick drops his little model plane when he hears of the good news involving Roy...

It broke into all possible pieces that are removable. This is about 5 or 6 feet onto my carpet floor.

Miraculously, the only thing that really "broke" were the hinges that held the tail wing-board together. I was able to patch that up with a little glue.

My conclusion: These frakking things are built pretty damn good.

Final thoughts: I'm one clumsy prick.

Has any one else see their VF's take a crash landing... or am I the only idiot in this forum?

:blink:

I'm glad you could fix it; good to hear! Does it still transform properly (assuming the glue has had time to dry)?

Dropped a 1/48 in Battroid mode once. Both hip-block-ball-joint-housing-thingies broke. After using every expletive I could think of (which followed a few moments of dumbfounded silence,) I sold it to Fulcy for cheap... Not sure if he announced the project he had it earmarked for, so I'll keep that on the down-low, but I'll be glad to see it completed so I can know that it died for a good cause!!!

oye...

The part that broke was VERY crucial. I might not be able to transform it (unless I'm really really careful -- but even that's pushing it; considering the pressure the little plastic piece takes.

Right now (as pictured) it's glued-in fine, but the moment I try to transform it, I'm sure it will come apart. Anyone have any ideas?

(if you still can't see in the picture, it's bastically one of the two 'holes' that the tiny metal bar pokes into.

P1010002.gif

Edited by fifbeat

oye...

The part that broke was VERY crucial. I might not be able to transform it (unless I'm really really careful -- but even that's pushing it; considering the pressure the little plastic piece takes.

Right now (as pictured) it's glued-in fine, but the moment I try to transform it, I'm sure it will come apart. Anyone have any ideas?

(if you still can't see in the picture, it's bastically one of the two 'holes' that the tiny metal bar pokes into.

P1010002.gif

Oh crap, the dreaded hinge!

Has anyone tried epoxy on this area?

My one complaint about the 1/48 is the backpack... I don't think it sites high enough in battroid and too far back in gerwalk ( the line art makes it look right behind the canopy ) and oh yeah, that part is fragile... :(

Well i have have a story too.

My VF-1A DYRL Hikaru (1st version) took a dive from the top of the reol, it was in GerwalkMode. Like it was said by others, the thing went into a million pieces, looked like the coolest Valk crash ive ever seen, but damm i screamed like a girl when i saw it took the dive :lol: Kinda looked like Isamu´s VF-11B when he tried to save Guld and ended up crashing.

But everything was fine, except the backpack hinge, i ended up ordering another VF-1A Hikaru from Kevin Lam after that incident. Ever since that, all of my Valks have been in a display case. If they are out, they are in their boxes. But its true, the 1/48s are pretty sturdy and can take a punisment, but beware of the backpack hinge, and for g...sake dont drop your LOW VIZ.

-Jin :D

Yeah, that backpack hinge is notorious. That whole piece should be a separate one that's more easily replacable... AND it should be built like an analogous piece on the Takara MP-1 Convoy (the kidney/lower back area in robot mode). Each hinge itself is probably 3 or 4 times as thick as on the Yammie and one of the mating halves is die-cast. It feels nice and solid...

Yeah, that backpack hinge is notorious. That whole piece should be a separate one that's more easily replacable...

I always felt Yamato should have gone with the type of double hinge they use on the 1/60's. That hinge is SO fragile even moreso with Fast Packs on. :(

I always felt Yamato should have gone with the type of double hinge they use on the 1/60's. That hinge is SO fragile even moreso with Fast Packs on. :(

I'm just glad I had read the forums here and at Twin Moons before I got my 1/48 or I might have assumed the backpack hinge worked just like the one on my 1/60 where you are supposed to force it up until it clicks.

As it is I knew the backpack hinge was a possible trouble spot and I've been real careful with mine in that area.

I had two Low Viz in Gerwalk with FPs that fell from about 4 feet....absolutely nothing bad happened to them. Most of the armor came off, but no biggie. Yamato did a great job with the 1/48s.

Now my 1/60s on the other hand....

Seems like if I breathe near them, something falls off. :)

At least I can put my 1/60's back together. The 1/48 backpack comes off, it's gonna be stuck in another mode... or be an expensive "battle-damaged" gimp-valk. ;)

The 1/60 has the same problems with the backpack. The hinge has a spot where it's so thin it can easily break. It's where my Max 1A broke. <_<

My 1/48s on the other hand are still intact after dropping 2 of them off the shelf.

Anyone have any ideas?

well since you already tryed glue (never recomended) it may be too late to try some more buff stuff like epoxy.

i have some stuff called JB Weld, that when it dries, is something like a metal to metal weld in strength. you can get it any any car shop like auto zone or pep-boys.

i've used it on a few things and had good results, everhthing from fixing little plastic bits to large muscle car parts. it dries solid as a rock.

i've also tried model glue (cement) and super glue, with destructive results, model glue doesn't destroy plastic, but isn't very strong, super glue melts more plastic than it bonds, and when it dries it becomes SUPER BRITTLE.

My low-vis in Gerwalk crouch with FPs fell forward as the left ankle gave way to the weight of the pose (and I thought Gerwalk was the sturdiest of forms). It fell forward off the shelf about 5.5 feet up and crashed down 2 feet onto the top of the drawers and then rolled over and continued down to the floor 3.5 feet down. Bits went flying everywhere and my heart just dropped to the bottom of my stomach.

Quickly gathered the bits up and examined the thing over. The only thing that was wrong was the backpack latch holder thingy popped out of its sockets and nothing was actually broken (one of the missile housing of the FP was scratched slightly). Was able to pop the latch back in and breathed a sigh of relief. :)

Geez! where are you guys putting your 1/48's?!!!

Right next to the edge for their first flight? :lol:

I display mine at the rear of each shelf, since they're usually taller than the other toys.

I'd hate to think of myh 1/48's crashing to the ground! :ph34r: