Ace Combat 5

YES multiuple weapons!! Id like more vintage planes since it gives you a great sensation when you dump your old ass plane for a new brand spanking plane like a F-16 or so. (least it felt like that in AC2). I had no idea there was no shattered skies type mission, so Yes I would want a pure A2A battle as well.

I think we could use a few more wild weasels like the EF-111A raven and F-105G thunderchief. Me personally, I think namco only chooses to add an Su-35 as an homage to Ac2...when the SU-35 totally hauled ass.

I would gladly do away with the Su-35 for a vintage plane like the thunderchief and crusader. And the crusader never gets no love, it really should. Keep the SU-37, kick out the 35, and give me a vintafge plane!! (BTW capabilities for 35/337 are similar aside fact that the 37 is way better....so its kind of redundant having a 35 IMHO, especially when the modeling is almost the same).

skul leader, a hawkeye is A great idea!! I would also want the ability to refuel mid air more often and to land and rearm more often as well. This really should have had that.

DID anyhone notice that the AI is much better? SUper hornets are hard to shoot down in an F-14A!!! VERY hard toturn with them going slow.

With such an engaging storyline, perhaps Namco should expand on the current universe and make sequels based on that. But that's just my opinion.

Although it's never specified, it's certainly implied that all of the AC series (potentially barring AC1/Air Combat) are squels of each other (as opposed to being completely independent games under the same name). They use the same map, just not the same characters or the same places.

The only problem I see with taking it to another sequel is that they're starting to run out of room on the map :) Unless the next AC game were to include ALL of the previously-used nations, I'm not sure how that would work.

David, how about two entirely seperate campaigns? First campaign, you get one set of planes, and you fly one side of the war. Second campaign unlocks after you finish the first. You fly a different set of planes, and you fight on the other side of the same war.

Not sure I want too many "vintage" jets. One of my biggest gripes with AFDS is that you play the game with really old planes, and have to work your way up to the F-4 or F-5, let alone modern fighters. Plus, as I love planes like the F/A-22 and the YF-23, I hate to unlock them at the last minute and only get to fly them for a mission or two. I more or less am happy to start with F-4 or F-5, then gradually work my way up to the F/A-22 around early in the second half of the game. Then, include more X-planes and such, like the X-36, the Hi-Mat, the X-44, etc.

I just got DoA Ultimate today, so I'm gonna play with that tonight, then seriously try to finish Ace Combat 5 tomorrow.

Let me just say that it double convinces me of the capabilities of the PS2 to deliver such photo-realistic graphics using a non high-end graphic processor(aka Xbox).

While Ace Combat 5 does indeed look great and really push to demonstrate what the PS2 is really capable of graphically, one need only pop the new Dead or Alive Ultimate (DoA2U, since DoA1U is a straight-up Saturn port) and try the stage with the elephants to see how much more the Xbox is capable of.

Still, I like both systems a lot, as each one has specific games I like (although, if a game comes out on both systems, I tend to go Xbox, especially if the Xbox version supports Live). The only system I kind of question why I own is the Gamecube...

Everyone rants about the elephants (Oliphaunts) but I just don't see the big "wow" factor. New opera house is way better/impressive. Currently have 12 Ayane costumes unlocked (I like chicks with purple hair, see avatar).

In AC5 news, unlocked F-4G and X-29. Also realized it's mission 11A I love, not 12A. 11B--only got an "A", despite doing very very well. What, do you have to never miss with your bombs for an S? Shot down F-4G ace, have his color. Haven't used it yet, can't describe. Working towards F-14D now, know where the ace is. Found EA-6B ace. (It's a lot more fun to hunt them down than look it up in the guide).

Anyone know where a regular enemy X-29 is? I don't ever recall seeing one, and the standard X-29 colors are boring. (Same as F-5/F-20 default)

Jet acquisition: just go a LITTLE older. F-8 alone would make me happy. Also, I don't like the "bunch" method they always do--fly 3 missions, get nothing new. Fly the next mission, and now like half the planes all unlock together. I much prefer like 1 plane every mission--then you've always got something new, and can try them all out.

And I want more totally air, and some totally ground missions. I mean total ground, as in I could take an A-4 and rock, not get nailed by a Super Flanker squadron at the end.

Seriously what the hell is it with japan and flankers? Aside from 2 pilots from JASDF testflying some?

I mean yea its awesome looking but seriously the jet game companies have overkilled the concept of the flanker in the game. AFDS had every variant imaginable and up until now, the SU-37 was namco's posterboy Ace combat plane. (saves F-22 in AC2 intro, on AC2 cover, On AC3 cover, used by yellow squadron in AC4, Hard to kill in AC2(Su-37)....)

I would have rather they canned the SU-35 in the game and gave us an Su-33 instead. hey its significantly differnt than then SU-37 in shape too and mission capability.

So far I'm split, 2 Mig29's and 2 F-18s for my squad, and kickin ass too...but I'm timing out on the mission where I'm invading the Yuke territory....not sure why I can't knock this crap down there are just so many bunkers and for some reason I'm having difficulty switching targets out of Drones to bunkers and junk....after I finish off a bunker, wham I'm targeting a drone in the sky and it'll take like 10-15 seconds to disengage from that and back to a bunker....

None of the missions seem to tough...but they do present their own challenges. I love when I finish a mission and watch the replay. I love one scene when I was in the F-18 and I got a fighter on my tail and I performed a Split S to shake the guy off my exhaust and wha do I see right after that performance?! Edge appeared right than and just blew away the guy on my tail :o I was like "Oh wow that was nice" I was wondering why someone I was targeting who was behind me suddenly vanished....wasn't low to the deck or anything :ph34r: so now I know....and KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

Yes, only Malaysia has a mixed fleet of Hornets and Fulcrums. If I recall correctly, the 29 should be the SMK version while the Hornet is just the regular type. I have a good friend who works in a firm in Malaysia now who is actually doing aerodynamic testing for the 29. He mentioned something about avionic upgrades and possible enhancement to Alamos.

Again, if I'm wrong please correct me. :)

BTW, did anyone notice how hard it is to kill an AC-130?

AC-130 is tough to kill like it should be. And they are the highest-priority targets, they can kill friendly ground troops faster than even the A-10.

Some notes:

X-29 ace scheme is the "real" X-29 scheme.

Way too many Aces give sucky, bad schemes. F-4G scheme is so godawful it's an insult to Mr McDonnell. F-14D is kinda weird--not good, but better than the boring default NWASC style. Ever seen the F-15J cherry tree scheme? Like that, but in dark blue.

Anyone know if any plane has 4 schemes, or is the 3rd scheme an either/or for Yuke/Ace?

F-14D special is Phoenix, and the plane is rated higher in most every stat than the B. Nice, but got it about 20 missions after it'd been useful.

Shooting planes down in free mission will count for new schemes, can also acquire "special parts" in free mission. Kills in free mission only count like 1/5 as much as campaign though, for building up the kill bar.

AC-130 is tough to kill like it should be. And they are the highest-priority targets, they can kill friendly ground troops faster than even the A-10.

Some notes:

X-29 ace scheme is the "real" X-29 scheme.

Way too many Aces give sucky, bad schemes. F-4G scheme is so godawful it's an insult to Mr McDonnell. F-14D is kinda weird--not good, but better than the boring default NWASC style. Ever seen the F-15J cherry tree scheme? Like that, but in dark blue.

Anyone know if any plane has 4 schemes, or is the 3rd scheme an either/or for Yuke/Ace?

F-14D special is Phoenix, and the plane is rated higher in most every stat than the B. Nice, but got it about 20 missions after it'd been useful.

Shooting planes down in free mission will count for new schemes, can also acquire "special parts" in free mission. Kills in free mission only count like 1/5 as much as campaign though, for building up the kill bar.

Did you get all the special parts yet?

Getting all the planes besides the Falken (don't know if that's just unlock, or actually own at least one of each) unlocks the X-02 from AC4.

AC5 seems quite picky about OWNING planes before unlocking stuff.

Unlocked Falken, need a lot more cash to buy it. Unlocked F-4X. Basically a faster F-4 with CFT's and AMRAAM's. Mission 16B is more fun than 16A. Very close to upgrading F-16 and 22.

Let me just say DAMMIT!

I go start up my PS2, and it starts giving me error messages about my loading the data. Basically, my memory card got corrupted, and I had to reformat it. :angry:

Basically, it means I have to unlock everything in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 again, unlock everything in Macross and Z Gundam again, start over on Megaman X Command Mission when I only had maybe two chapters left, and start over on Ace Combat 5 when I was on the LAST DAMN MISSION. Everthing else that I was on there, no biggie. Hell, I don't even mind MvC, Macross, or Z Gundam that much, since I beat them... but it sucks to lose 20+ hours on an RPG and then have to start from scratch on a game that I was on the verge of beating. Well, I'll get back into Ace Combat, and alternate between in and DoA. If I buckle down, I can finish AC5 before Halo 2... but Megaman X Command Mission is going to have to wait until probably sometime in 2005 before I have time to seriously get back into that.

Unlocking the Falken is just about getting its 5 parts by destroying the red striped hangers. It'll run ya 826,000, but is worth every penny. My only problem with it is that the laser is piss poor when it comes to air combat, but on ground/naval targets, its absolute murder. Only a few more planes to go for the X-02!

Replaying, Mission 17 is a pure dogfight. But seems less intense than "Shattered Skies". Though it really depends on what you're flying.

Also had the FMV right after get stuck. Dunno why. Happened about 10 secs after I saved.

Yeah, well at least you don't have to start from scratch. :(

On the plus side, I found one of those Madcatz Retrocon controllers used for $9.99. Should make replaying the Megaman Anniversary Collection a blast.

Well I won't be playing AC5 for a while. My 1-week old new slim PS2 won't load anything at all, and won't even recognize PS2 discs. (will play SOME PSX discs) ****! Off to email/call Sony...

:o ,, what happen? it just went dead? I just got the new SLime PS2 also, maybe i should of brought the warranty :o

Debrief screen went "blurry"--like v-hold was slightly off. And it was like going at 1/2 speed. 20 secs later, froze at FMV. Then wouldn't load AC5, it went to browser screen and said no disc inserted. Wouldn't load anything. Wouldn't detect PS2 discs. Detected PSX discs, wouldn't load them (well, loaded FF Tactics, wouldn't load next 3 games). Didn't bother trying a DVD.

Already returned and exchanged at Best Buy. Hope this one lasts more than a week.

And it certainly wasn't an overheat issue, it'd only been on for 1 mission when it failed.

Checked serial #'s, tried to get a very different one from a different batch. Mine was 144xxxx, all the others at Best Buy were 136xxxx and 166xxxx. Picked up a 136xxxx one.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Well, I'm back up to 19. This time, I went the A route. David, I hated 12A. I don't know what you were thinking when you played that mission, but I was pretty annoyed whenever I'd race to a target, dodging missiles from guys in the jungle all the while, only to realize that I was approaching the target from the wrong angle. But I told you that 11B was fun! First time in an air combat game where you get to participate in a car chase...

Anyway, two quick questions, for anyone still reading this thread:

1 - Anyone know where I can find some pics of the squadron emblems in AC4 and 5? Specifically, the Mobius emblem, and the Razgriz emblem?

2 - Ace Combat 5 allows you to fly the MiG-1.44... what's the differnce between the 1.44 and the 1.42 (aka MiG-35)?

mike--I said earlier I got them confused--it's 11A that's fun (the airport), not 12A. But I still like 12A better than 11B and 12B. 11B's boring IMHO. 12A at least you get to fight. Yeesh, 19 already? I'm only on 17 for my second run. Though I didn't play anymore after I got my replacement PS2 yesterday.

Emblems---nowhere that I know. The promo DVD only has very small pics. Best way to see Mobius emblem is to play Arcade mode in AC5, decent look at it there.

MiG: Apparently, it's project 1.42, the plane is 1.44.

Edited by David Hingtgen

1 - Anyone know where I can find some pics of the squadron emblems in AC4 and 5?  Specifically, the Mobius emblem, and the Razgriz emblem?

Heres a whole buncha emblems from AC4.

Enjoy:

*edit* Yeah, thats the biggest I have them.

post-26-1099264068.jpg

Edited by Shmitty

That's all I unlocked on my first run. F-14B seems to be the most commonly unlocked plane, for the first run-through. Though I seem to be one of the few to have had the F-20 unlocked already, the first time you could buy/select planes.

Spent the last hour trying out some Free Missions, but having trouble---"normal" doesn't give much exp for kills, and early missions on Hard don't have enough targets. But trying to take on later missions with a Tornado on hard--not worth the effort. Yeah I could use the later planes, but most of them don't evolve so there's no point. Ironically, I have yet to actually USE the YF-23, since the time is better spent evolving the Rafale, etc.

All in all---I do think the best way to "evolve" planes is to simply keep replaying campaign mode. Currently at mission 21 in campaign, 2nd run, Hard.

Edited by David Hingtgen

1 - Anyone know where I can find some pics of the squadron emblems in AC4 and 5?  Specifically, the Mobius emblem, and the Razgriz emblem?

Heres a whole buncha emblems from AC4.

Enjoy:

*edit* Yeah, thats the biggest I have them.

Thanks for the pix, Schmitty!

David, I'll grant you that 12A is better than 12B... but not by much. Either path you take, 12's gotta be my least favorite mission. But anyway, once I committed to playing again, I was breezing through... the flip side, though, is that I've hardly played DoA since I got it! Just two extra costumes for Ein, Hayabusa, Ayane, and Leifang, three for Kasumi, and one for Leon.

As for the if 1.44 is the plane in the 1.42 project, then I'd guess it's the same plane either way, and I guess now it's officially the MiG-35, and it seems people are calling it Flanker again. It's cool to see a new design from MiG... as powerful as the MiG-31 was, it was butt ugly. The only other MiG that I've liked as far as apperance goes is is the 29. Plus, with the Flankers and the Berkut, it seems like Suhkoi has been getting all the attention as far as Russian planes goes.

officially MIG-35? I duno man that designation was for the canard and TVC equipped MIG-29 with avionics upgrade. But was never made. I guess that rumor for the MIG1.44 being the MIG-35 was startted a few years ago but I forgot where. Where are peolpe calling the MIG1.44 the flanker? THey look massively different.

Sukhoi is geting all the love, they have the contract for russia's next gen air superiority fighter.(NOT the berkut its just a concept plane)

THis game OWNS. HAd no idea the BOMBcat's LGB could destroy MULTIPLE targets if close togethere. Saw it annihlate 3 tanks in a row.

BTW on replay mode the best view is "all". it adds several views NOT viewable in the other selectable views. set it to "all" when watching a mid air refueling replay. IT freezes up upon contact but afterwqards is all good. ITs AWESOME. Carrier and normal runway landings look a bit "weird" though.

F-4G RULES!!! And the F-14B is the BEST CAS plane I have used in any ace combat yet~~~!!!!(aside fom tornado GR`1).

I'm still mad they rated teh super hornets speeds stats HIGHER than the F-14A's. It just aint right!!

Anyone notice that SU-47 and SHORNET AI in the game will turn circles around you? THey actually fight they way they are supposed to!@!! And I took down some suckers in the 8492 mission. Muhhahhahhhaha.

I don't know why, but the 8492 mission--I either do well early, then bug out after the 2nd wave comes, or die in like 5 secs. Of course, I've never taken anything better than the Super Hornet against them. Actually did best with F-14B. I've yet to kill everything. I'm embarrassed actually, by not being able to do very well in a giant dogfight.

BTW--anyone else think AMRAAM's suck against "good" opponents? They never hit. Sparrow's better IMHO, if the AI is better than average. And if you want to see missiles miss, end of mission 23. Yeesh.

Edited by David Hingtgen