Ace Combat 5

Well here's the big things that are "incorrect" from a flight-dynamics standpoint:

1. Pulling a 6G+ turn doesn't bleed speed. Not any.

2. Your stalling speed is your stalling speed. Thus, an F-14 can roll 90 degrees and do sustained 360 turns like that, at 130kts.

3. Thrust/weight ratio seems "inflated". Most any plane can sustain vertical flight, even an F-117.

4. You can reach max speed at sea level, or thereabouts.

5. Acceleration is much faster than real life (see above).

Mission 21---great place to try out jammer planes. :)

Anyways, the SP scheme for the Tornado ECR is quite cool, dark blue with white. It's got stripes that only "line up" when the wings are swept back. Kind of reminds me of the prototype scheme, but in reverse colors. Also, that was the first time I had a Tornado mission where you get to land---and the thrust reversers deploy! Never expected that. And I do think it decelerated faster than most other planes.

Ace Combat 5 sucks!!!!!!!

The only thing cool about it is the graphics.

Totally unrealistic. It's definitely made for the mainstream kids and not for the hardcore fighter enthusiast.

How the hell can a fighter have 50 air-to-air missiles?

How the hell can you concentrate on flying with those annoying idiots constantly squaking on the radio? Shut the hell up already.

What a waste of $45.

I will never listen your hype ever again.

I think I'll reinstall Falcon 4.0 and play a real combat aircraft game.

You wouldn't happen to be amazingly biased towards the F-15 in real life would you?

And if you didn't know it was unrealistic after several hundred replies and the entire internet and every gaming magazine's reviews, that's your own fault.

PS---The upcoming Knights of the Old Republic 2 is also not a realistic sim of swordfighting. Just FYI.

Totally unrealistic. It's definitely made for the mainstream kids and not for the hardcore fighter enthusiast.

How the hell can you concentrate on flying with those annoying idiots constantly squaking on the radio? Shut the hell up already.

What a waste of $45.

It's a video game...relax.

What a waste of $45.

You went as far as to register a handle just to tell us how wrong we are? Get a life or go back to "lurking" then. Most of us love the game as it is an ARCADE STYLE game. It was never meant to be a simulator, only have very realistic looking aircraft models (which it does)

What a waste of $45.

You know I had a witty and totaly smart ass response to this but don't think the mods would appreciate it. So I'm just going to shut up...

Sigh..........poor me. Had the game for about two weeks now, but only found time to play it for like 3 minutes so far :(

5 month old baby + mother visiting from UK + stressed out wife = no free time for Graham <_< .

The sad thing is work is so quiet at the moment that I have nothing to do most of the time, but I can't exactly bring my PS2 to the office.

Graham

Poor Graham. While I spent the night trying to level up the A-10. It's gun has longer range than the pipper indicates---the pipper comes "in range" at the same range as all the other planes, but if you just fire away you'll notice the A-10 has much longer range. But since there's no pipper until you close to "M61A1" range, it's hard to aim. Hard to tell if it's more powerful or not.

So close to X-02, just need YA-10B and S-32.

BTW--I highly recommend the Su-35 for Mission 23 on Expert. The Typhoons get vicious. Su-37 isn't useful at all there. Still trying to beat Mission 24 on Expert. Will try F-14D and MiG-31M next, Super Flankers just aren't putting in enough power/speed.

What a waste of $45.

WHat? You mean you didn't like how F-15 Eagles are in the game? Gee...I wonder who YOU ARE?~!

Someone before me said "relax, it's a game". ANd in Jane's survey sims your wingman talk WAY more than they do in this game. ANd FAlcon 4.0 has massive radio chatter as well. So your point has no relevance.

DAvid the A-10 gun is more powerful than other plane's gun.

Is the SU-35 actually better than the 37 in the game>? And anyone else think the S-32 looks weird?

What a waste of $45.

45 bucks? Where did you get your copy from? Anyone know which store is selling this game cheap?

Probably pre-ordered it...

Actually yes, there is a way to get it for $45.00.

-Get the free Holiday Buyers Guide from Gamepro magazine at Bestbuy in their media dept.

-Open up the back page.

-Clip out the instant $5.00 coupon, located at the bottom right corner of the page..

-Get your game.

-Purchase the game and save $5.00.

Dr. Gero... since your is used and you already played it, can I buy yours for $25.00? :p

Other than that, I gotta remind myself that they don't make real live Lightsabers other than what I can find at most "Toy Stores".

Actually yes, there is a way to get it for $45.00.

-Get the free Holiday Buyers Guide from Gamepro magazine at Bestbuy in their media dept.

-Open up the back page.

-Clip out the instant $5.00 coupon, located at the bottom right corner of the page..

-Get your game.

-Purchase the game and save $5.00.

Dr. Gero... since your is used and you already played it, can I buy yours for $25.00? :p

Thanks for the tip, I stopped buying from Best (sic) Buy after the local stores discontinued their Gamer's Gift Card program, along with the $5.00-off coupon that comes with it.

Dr. Gero, I'll offer 10 bucks for your used copy. :p

No, the Su-37 is noticeably more agile than the Su-35. However, the Su-35 has XLAA's (look like AA-9's actually, which shouldn't be--should be AA-12's) which are *very* useful in Mission 23, as the Typhoons get much nastier than before, and all the agility in the world won't let you lock a QAAM on to them. Once I came really close to beating the mission without taking any of the Typhoons out, but was "zapped from above" with no warning.

... Dr. Gero... since your is used and you already played it, can I buy yours for $25.00?  :p

Thanks for the tip, I stopped buying from Best (sic) Buy after the local stores discontinued their Gamer's Gift Card program, along with the $5.00-off coupon that comes with it.

Dr. Gero, I'll offer 10 bucks for your used copy. :p

Okay that's it, trying not to get outbid, I'll give you $5.00... and no one better go lower than me.

Edited by Dangaioh

No, the Su-37 is noticeably more agile than the Su-35. However, the Su-35 has XLAA's (look like AA-9's actually, which shouldn't be--should be AA-12's) which are *very* useful in Mission 23, as the Typhoons get much nastier than before, and all the agility in the world won't let you lock a QAAM on to them. Once I came really close to beating the mission without taking any of the Typhoons out, but was "zapped from above" with no warning.

Actually, SARM(?) missles are God in that level (and in all difficulties). Fly a MIG-31 or F-15 and your set, hell you can go with the SU-47 if you want to pack more in. I just sat there at low speed with my place angled and guided the missile in, no problemo.

Gotta ask--in *Expert* difficulty? I swear, Mission 24 is the only one that really gets harder as you up the difficulty. Happened on Hard, now on Expert. I am SO going to use the X-02 or ADF-01 for Ace mode when I get to it.

Finally beat it after a dozen attempts with a new strategy--QAAM's. XMAA/XLAA will lock on to ANY target they find, which just wastes them. You need the ENGINES dead, FAST. Almost beat it with YF-23, eventually won with Su-37. (Those two have the highest number of QAAM's in the game). SAAM's I think would do more damage, but holding still for even a few secs is fairly lethal on Expert for the second part.

::edit:: Whoops, That NOS Guy was talking about 23, I'm currently talking about 24. I have to go through 23 again anyways to find an Ace to bag, will try that method.

Edited by David Hingtgen

::edit:: Whoops, That NOS Guy was talking about 23, I'm currently talking about 24. I have to go through 23 again anyways to find an Ace to bag, will try that method.

It's cool.

The ace in that level is a MIG-31 called "Sword Killer", not really hard.

As for 24, that mission is F$^%*() hard just about everytime, XLAA's usually do the trick for me. I just give my wingmen -22's or -23's and I take the Typhoon so I can concentrate on the Arkbird while they take care of the UCAVs.

I'm having a blast with this game, although I wish I'd gotten the bundle instead of just the game. But I couldn't justify the extra price when I had to buy a PS2, a memory card AND the game all at the same time.

Thanks to this thread I now know that I need to go the B route to get the Sukhoi, but where the heck is the Rafale? Can I unlock it by playing a particular mission in free mode?

EDIT: OH! and the YF-23 too, if anyone knows :D

Edited by Wumzi

Rafale is 16A I think. YF-23, don't know.

Anyways---if you go through and beat every mission, and then shoot down whatever you don't own, it will become available. Simply going through the "other" mission doesn't seem to work. I.E., if you go through campaign with all "A", then go to Free Mission to do the "B" missions, it won't unlock them. Nor will going through in campaign. You have to also shoot them down AFTER they would have unlocked had you gone through that mission the first time. I didn't have the YF-23 until Mission 23 on my 2nd play-through, because Mission 22 is the first time I shot down a YF-23 after having played all the B missions.

Didn't get a good look this time either--I took 88% damage from its AA guns when I tried!

Think I'll set it to "very easy" and use the Falken, then I can probably get a good look.

Update: Now I have all planes, and most schemes. X-02 SP scheme is black/yellow Tiger, very similar to the famous Tiger Meet Belgian F-16. Despite owning the Falken and winning Expert, I didn't get the Falken's 3rd scheme. I haven't FLOWN the Falken, but I've gotten several SP schemes of planes I've never flown.

PS--unlike every other 3rd scheme, the X-02's will unlock WITHOUT you owning it. The moment the X-02 was available, the 3rd scheme was there because I had won on Hard already. I didn't have to go win on Hard again.

PPS---S-32 3rd scheme is really cool. Also has full Belkan markings, not Wardog. Black/white/yellow, looks like a snake. Got Yellow Su-37, haven't used it yet.

Didn't get a good look this time either--I took 88% damage from its AA guns when I tried!

Think I'll set it to "very easy" and use the Falken, then I can probably get a good look.

Update: Now I have all planes, and most schemes. X-02 SP scheme is black/yellow Tiger, very similar to the famous Tiger Meet Belgian F-16. Despite owning the Falken and winning Expert, I didn't get the Falken's 3rd scheme. I haven't FLOWN the Falken, but I've gotten several SP schemes of planes I've never flown.

PS--unlike every other 3rd scheme, the X-02's will unlock WITHOUT you owning it. The moment the X-02 was available, the 3rd scheme was there because I had won on Hard already. I didn't have to go win on Hard again.

PPS---S-32 3rd scheme is really cool. Also has full Belkan markings, not Wardog. Black/white/yellow, looks like a snake. Got Yellow Su-37, haven't used it yet.

David, as far as I know, you must beat the game on ACE to get the Falken's SP color.

Well, I just finished mission 6 on Ace, so I'm on my way. Anyone who doesn't like the laser for anti-air just has bad aim. :) Can usually get 2, sometimes 3 or even 4 planes down per shot. It's most useful against B-2's and other "much harder to hit than they should be" planes that also take lots of missiles or like 200 bullets to take down. I actually ran out of enemies, spent the last minute or two just circling around waiting for the mission to end. Still, the X-02 looks a lot more like a plane. ADF-01 (I'll call it that forever) looks too much like it should be in KOTOR. :)

PS--big question. Can I do a NORMAL "New Game" (not SP New Game) and yet still keep all my planes for "the future"? As in, if I load my game like always, then start a new game--do I permanently lose my planes, or are they just "disabled" for that one campaign? Because I would like to have a "fresh start" game again, it's always fun to earn stuff. But I don't want to have to get another 275 kills (that's what it took) for the A-10, etc...

If not, I'll just copy my save to another card, and start totally over again. Man, I wish KOTOR 2 would come out next week, not next month. (Metroid Prime 2 I expect will take only like 2 or 3 days to beat, maybe 4).

What a waste of $45.

It's a video game...relax.

Relax?

You guys have been hyping this stupid game for months and it turn's out to be a freaking disappointment.

Never again will I waste money because of you "experts"

I could have bought Halo2, Transformers, or Star Wars III for that $45 bucks.

What a waste of $45.

You went as far as to register a handle just to tell us how wrong we are? Get a life or go back to "lurking" then. Most of us love the game as it is an ARCADE STYLE game. It was never meant to be a simulator, only have very realistic looking aircraft models (which it does)

Uhhh... yeah..as oppose to you replying to me and YOU posting here all the time. Do I need to get a life? by the way, since you like ARCADE fighter games, I suggest you buy the old "AFTERBURNER". That's better than this stinker.

Edited by Dr. Gero

What a waste of $45.

Uhhh... yeah..as oppose to you replying to me and YOU posting here all the time. Do I need to get a life? by the way, since you like ARCADE fighter games, I suggest you buy the old "AFTERBURNER". That's better than this stinker.

Whoa he actualy responded. Here I was thinking he was just another one-post-wonder.

Well everyone is entitled to their opinions. So go on man ignore all these guys who love this game a voice your opinion. After all we're all free to voice our opinions.

Edited by Druna Skass

I'll say it again--if you didn't know that this was an ARCADE-STYLE game set in THE FUTURE with FICTIONAL NATIONS at war with FICTIONAL SQUADRONS, it's your own fault. Ace Combat is well-known and well-liked with nearly a half-dozen games now. This is not some obscure series nobody knows what it's like. Anybody could have told you what it's like, or any magazine, or a demo, or the previous games.

PS---the really big tip-off that it's not going to be a realistic sim is the fact that a PS2 only has like 12 buttons. Not a keyboard+throttle+joystick and 500-page manual. Has there EVER been an even half-assed realistic sim-style game on any console ever? Why expect one now? Not until we get an 85-button controller.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Well, I just finished mission 6 on Ace, so I'm on my way. Anyone who doesn't like the laser for anti-air just has bad aim. :) Can usually get 2, sometimes 3 or even 4 planes down per shot. It's most useful against B-2's and other "much harder to hit than they should be" planes that also take lots of missiles or like 200 bullets to take down. I actually ran out of enemies, spent the last minute or two just circling around waiting for the mission to end. Still, the X-02 looks a lot more like a plane. ADF-01 (I'll call it that forever) looks too much like it should be in KOTOR. :)

PS--big question. Can I do a NORMAL "New Game" (not SP New Game) and yet still keep all my planes for "the future"? As in, if I load my game like always, then start a new game--do I permanently lose my planes, or are they just "disabled" for that one campaign? Because I would like to have a "fresh start" game again, it's always fun to earn stuff. But I don't want to have to get another 275 kills (that's what it took) for the A-10, etc...

If not, I'll just copy my save to another card, and start totally over again. Man, I wish KOTOR 2 would come out next week, not next month. (Metroid Prime 2 I expect will take only like 2 or 3 days to beat, maybe 4).

Alright, David! Another guy who owns all three systems! Except I'm not really interested in the new Metroid (scanning everything gets real old, real fast) right now, and my Cube is kinda collecting dust. Now Halo 2 online is where it's at! I hate playing strangers online, but I had a kick-ass time playing CTF with two bros and a stranger against four strangers.

Anyway, I think you're alright to start a new game. Don't load your old stuff, though. Just pick Campaign, then New Game instead of load, and then save it to a different file.