Ace Combat 5

alright... I've been thinking it for a while, and I'll just come out and say it.... This game series needs an A-7 Corsair II and an F-8 Crusader! (therein could be the evolution chain: F-8 (air to air), A-7 (Air to Ground), F-8 Super Crusader (Air to Air))

whew... there, I said it :) I know I talked about a flashback campaign and everything... bump that, I just wanna see a friggin Crusader in AC at some point :)

27 Free Flight---you sure? It was really easy to do it in free flight due to lack of closing shutters. Man, it'll be a while before I can go through and get Su-37 Yellow, I don't even have the Su-35 yet.

Yep. I took the F/A-22, and I was going though it at a fairly relaxed pace... until near the end. The shutters started coming down faster and faster... I BARELY made it out the last one.

I'm thinking about selling my copy of AC5 and buying the one with the flight stick. Since I know it works on AC4 and the PC (does it work with AFDS?), it's looking like it might be worth the extra money.

Yup. Surprisingly, one of the few planes in the game (besides the X-02 and ADF-01) that don't really exist. Yet. Of course I'd much rather see the FB-23 go into production. :)

My hints/tips for leveling up planes:

16B is the fastest way for any attack plane. Heck, probably the fastest way for a fighter, too. Sheer number of targets, and little resistance. Can fill 35-40% of the bar, depending on the plane.

2 is the quickest-to-complete mission, if you just need like 10 kills or less to fill the meter.

Still have to get MiG-21,31, A-10, Mirage, and the entire Flanker family evolved. Gave up trying to level up planes in campaign, as the MiG-21 and Mirage are just not going to make it on Expert past the first few levels.

I just got the growler and am VASTLY dissapointed at how the ECCMP pod workws. WHat the hell? 5, 6 sexond bursts? To me its a BS weapon and didn't do much. It should have just been supplemental and ALWAYS on with CBU's as the special weapon. The F-4X is awesome, its in the grey 2 tone phantom scheme. The flanker and falcon are SLOW to evolve!!!! And so is the A-6. Try going up against the rhinfaxi in the A-6. What a freaking eye opener!!

I was actually doing A-6 against Scinfaxi on Expert. Not fun. Almost won, but too much effort. Switched to Rafale B and won in like 1 min against it. Got 99% of my A-6's kills in Free Mission.

For all jammer planes---I think they should be wingman-only. I mean, your wingmen don't get many kills anyway, may as well have them jam for you. :)

A-7F is the Crusaderised Corsair supposedly developed for the ANG. Most probably caused the collapsed of LTV Aircraft.

The irony about the A-7F was that it was intended to replace the A-10 Warthog when the A-10 was built to replace the original A-7's to begin with!

Yup. Surprisingly, one of the few planes in the game (besides the X-02 and ADF-01) that don't really exist. Yet. Of course I'd much rather see the FB-23 go into production.

The huge difference, though, is that the X-02 and the Falken are Namco's ideas, while the FB-22 is a serious concept. Personally, I'd rather see more real concepts like the FB-22, X-32 (yeah, it's ugly, but it'd still be cool to have around), X-36 (another JSF design that was beat out by the X-32 and the X-35 that was, I think, the basis for one of the planes in Ace Combat 3), and X-44 as opposed to purely fictional planes.

I'm not much fond of purely experimental planes designed with the goal of exploring one aspect of flight, like most of them are. Speed, roll, high-alpha, high-altitude, vectoring, etc. Very few are anything close to a "practial" warplane. X-29's one, and only because it's made from F-5/20 parts. X-31 maybe, due to so many parts from other planes. X-32/35 are mis-named, to this day I think nobody knows why they're X instead of Y. (And then they went and screwed up the F-numbering, X-35 should have been Y-35 to become F-24)

YF-17 of course would ROCK, and be way cooler than the EA-18G.

Heck, why not upgraded F-104's? They served into the 80's. No worse than an upgraded MiG-21. And a Viggen!

I'm not much fond of purely experimental planes designed with the goal of exploring one aspect of flight, like most of them are.  Speed, roll, high-alpha, high-altitude, vectoring, etc.  Very few are anything close to a "practial" warplane.  X-29's one, and only because it's made from F-5/20 parts.  X-31 maybe, due to so many parts from other planes.  X-32/35 are mis-named, to this day I think nobody knows why they're X instead of Y.  (And then they went and screwed up the F-numbering, X-35 should have been Y-35 to become F-24)   

YF-17 of course would ROCK, and be way cooler than the EA-18G. 

Heck, why not upgraded F-104's?  They served into the 80's.  No worse than an upgraded MiG-21.  And a Viggen!

I'll take a Viggen, and a Draken too, while you're at it.

I agree, most X-planes are designed to test one particular aspect... but I'd still prefer to fly some of them than a purely fictional (and ugly to boot) plane like the Falken or half of AC3's roster.

Oh, and from what I undestand, it was DARPA who designated the JSF designs as X-planes instead of YF's once they got involved with the project back when everyone was still having trouble figuring out how to build a plane that was both supersonic and STOVL. And, to my knowledge, they did it to emphasize that DARPA was going to make their final decision without a fly-off.

Edited by mikeszekely

Guys, I need help.

I was unlocking the planes as I played all these times and today I just realized that I don't have the F-15!

I have been trying and still no luck. I was wondering if you guys know the correct way to obtain that jet.

I already have the F-22 from the arcade mode.

Thanks in advance.

Guys, I need help.

I was unlocking the planes as I played all these times and today I just realized that I don't have the F-15!

I have been trying and still no luck. I was wondering if you guys know the correct way to obtain that jet.

I already have the F-22 from the arcade mode.

Thanks in advance.

You gotta do the "A" path on the first branching missions. (wish I remembered the mission numbers) If you've beaten the game you should be able to just go to free mission and select them.

Edited by Shmitty

I've beaten the game twice so far. Does that means I just need to play the A branch missions to obtain the 15s?

At two points in the game, during the radio chatter, Chopper will ask you if you listened to "that song" or remark that "'that songs' would be perfect right now." If you say yes, the will call the song "Face of the Coin." If you say no, he will call the song "Back of the Coin." After those missions, you're next mission is decided by a coin toss... heads, you go A, tails, you go B. The coin toss isn't random... it's determined by how you answered Chopper, and what the song was. "Face of the Coin" is heads, and therefore A, and "Back of the Coin" is tails, or B.

Sounds like, when you played through, you took the B route. So, after your 12th mission, you unlocked the Su-27. Had you taken the A route, you would have unlocked the F-15C instead.

Anyway, the mission where Chopper asks about the song (and he does it really obviously at the beginning of the mission) are 10 and 15.

Hey guys, one of the color schems of the X-02 is a TIGER meet scheme!!! Certainly better than the fruity fairy flower power petal phantom F-4G colors!! F/A-18E yuk color is similar to grey/black/white flanker colors. JSF yuk is similar. Is there an F-14D yuk color scheme in the game of just SP color? F-14A yuk is Iranian color scheme and F-14B yuk is kieth ferris color scheme. I think the yuk colors for the F-14A/B are VERY fitting and well done. Oh and F/A-18C yuk looks like the malaysian F/A-18D only lighter.

All planes have OS, RZ, and ONE of the following:

YK, BL, SP.

All planes have only 3 colors. If you've got SP, then don't bother looking for a YK one to shoot down to get his color, etc.

I really wanted a "fleet" F-14D color. Especially Bounty Hunters. If the A and B can obviously be the Jolly Rogers, I wanted the D to look like a famous squadron roo.

I also wanted the F-15S/MTD to have its "real" colors as well--the X-29 does.

All planes have OS, RZ, and ONE of the following:

YK, BL, SP.

YK is Yuke, BL is Belkan, and SP... special? I know that the F/A-22's third color is supposed to be the same as the ISAF color in Ace Combat 4, and the Su-37 is supposed to be a Yellow, right?

On a controller related note...

Since this controller is obviously some variant of the Saitek X45, and we know the controller to be backwards compatible with AC4, and compatible (with drivers) for certain PC games....

Has anyone tried the Saitek X45 with the PS/2 or more notably, with this game?.

I have been drooling over the X45 forever, and if I could buy that, and use it with my PS/2, then I would definitely do so.

Actually, it's the spitting image of the X36.

Are we really sure it works with Ace Combat 4? I'm seriously thinking of selling my copy of Ace Combat 5 and buying the bundle. The flight stick is just too damn cool...

Of course, it seems Saitek is coming out with a new one...

I doubt the X52 works with either of the Ace Combat games, though.

Still plodding along in this game, will have to say one thing that I just recently encountered playing AC5. On the desert mission I was tailing a Vulcan or whatever the bomber besides the B52 is and it dove towards the ground, flew into the ground and then flew back out of the ground like it wasnt even there. Amused the hell out of me, would have to be the first time I have seen that in any of these games.

Rob :ph34r:

The stick works with AC4 but, the vibration feature does not.

The Flightstick is great...how I'll ever play Ace Combat with a pad again I don't know.

Sweet. I already downloaded the drivers for PC for it... I am so getting the joystick bundle tomorrow.

I got the drivers for the stick, but man, the interface provided with those drivers is spartan at the very best.

I wonder if there are any better interfaces available with this stick? I wonder if the Saitek X36 drivers would work with it?

I'm gonna snag a copy of Mechwarrior 4 tonight on my way home, and try the stick with it on my PC.

I'd like to know more about the flightstick, how's the drivers for windows, or simpler yet, where are they, who makes the flightstick and how is playing Ace Combat 5. A summary review would be appreciated since that bundle costs as much as a brand new PS2 system, so i'd like to know that it's good before i shell that amount :ph34r: , thanks B))