are the 1/48s out of print?

rewooh

Is this true?

I emailed a local anime store and asked them how much it would cost to specail order them.

and they replied that these seletions were out of print and would take a long time to get..and advised me to order them off the interent because ti would be my best decision.

is that true?

They're most likely just out of production for the time being. There just isn't enough demand for Yamato to be churning them out 24-7. When they get a large enough order, they'll set the molds back up again and pump them out accordingly.

Even though you posted this explanation, there's going to be somebody who will say, "Oh my God! They're no longer making Valkyries," "Yamato is out of business!" ;)

Toys are made in production runs, it may take 3 to 6 weeks to set up a run, then the run will only last for a few days producing thousands of 1/48s, then they break it down and make something else... If demand stays up there may or may not be reason to do another production run.

"out of production" is a term a lot of distribution companies use when they can't forsee getting any new product for a long time. It's a known fact that the VF-1J Max and Milia sets will be coming along soon though. As for others, I assumed the Hikaru VF-1J set might still be in production, but I could be wrong. Any 1/48 older than that is pretty much a done deal.

They're most likely just out of production for the time being. There just isn't enough demand for Yamato to be churning them out 24-7. When they get a large enough order, they'll set the molds back up again and pump them out accordingly.

Even though you posted this explanation, there's going to be somebody who will say, "Oh my God! They're no longer making Valkyries," "Yamato is out of business!" ;)

hey now! I was just asking a question. I thought Macross was like Star Wars to Japan. :huh: I just have 1/48 yammies on the brain... Why else would I have 15 of them. And more is on the way! B))

hey now! I was just asking a question. I thought Macross was like Star Wars to Japan. :huh: I just have 1/48 yammies on the brain... Why else would I have 15 of them. And more is on the way! B))

Maybe you missed the ;) at the end of my sentence. :)

It always makes me laugh the way so many people think toy factories churn out toys endlessly day after day.

As Agent One said, a production run (depending on size) takes only a few weeks to complete. By the time the toys arrive in the stores, the production run is already over.

Graham

It always makes me laugh the way so many people think toy factories churn out toys endlessly day after day.

As Agent One said, a production run (depending on size) takes only a few weeks to complete. By the time the toys arrive in the stores, the production run is already over.

Graham

Toybiz, Mattel and Hasbro have continous production but smaller companied only do short runs.

Graham

Toybiz, Mattel and Hasbro have continous production but smaller companied only do short runs.

No toy company no matter how large will have a never-ending production run. For the smaller companies, the production run may be in the thousands or tens of thousands, for the larger companies the production run may be significantly larger, say in the hundreds of thousands or even millions (rare these days), but this is still a finite number. Once the quantity ordered has been completed, the factory switches to another product until demand is such that a second production run is called for.

Graham

Every now and then, Bandai reissues golden oldie kits from the 80's, seemingly at random. Most recently, I've seen minty fresh kits of SPT Layzner gracing the shelves in stores. Sometimes, these old kits are reissued just prior to new versions like the recent HG Dunbines and L-Gaims and MG Patlabors. Super old 1/60 Gundam MSV kits recently went on clearance too.

There will be more 1/48's out in the future (i.e. Max and Millia VF-1J's). If you are interested in any of the previous 1/48's, look around at the various online stores or even ebay. The only 1/48 that is hard to find is the low-viz.

Well, I guess the only toy out there being produced 24/7 365 days a year are Barbie dolls. Apparently they sell one of these things every second somewhere around the world!

Ooopppss, how many times have I told myself not to show my girlie side in public.....Macross, Macross, Macross that my toy!

I thought Macross was like Star Wars to Japan. :huh:

No, no way. That'll be Gundam. Macross has nothing more than a cult status over there. In fact, anime in general with the exception of prime time TV anime and Ghibli films is a cult thing even in Japan.

Good luck finding anybody who's heard of Shoji Kawamori.

Well, I guess the only toy out there being produced 24/7 365 days a year are Barbie dolls. Apparently they sell one of these things every second somewhere around the world!

Ooopppss, how many times have I told myself not to show my girlie side in public.....Macross, Macross, Macross that my toy!

you've been hanging out with Red Comet, haven't you? :p

Maybe you missed the ;) at the end of my sentence. :)

Naw. Just getting on the sensitive side. :p

Don't forget Yamato has many other product lines, not only Macross. Even if they did stop producing Macross toys, I don't think they would go out of business.

Anyway, I'm sure we will continue to see Macross products from Yamato, although even I don't really have a clear idea of what's in the pipeline apart from lots of Macross Zero stuff.

As for the 1/48 VF-1 toys, well at the moment most asian retailers still have a fair amount of stock, so it's pointless putting the older 1/48 toys back into production at this time if no stores are going to buy them. It doesn't make good financial sense for Yamato to fill their warehouse full of 1/48s when there are no customers. I'm sure once the stock starts to thin-out Yamato will start getting requests from their distributors for more 1/48 toys and once they recieve enough orders they will pump out another production run.

Anyway, it's not like 1/48 toys are especially difficult to find right now (except for the Low-Vis). I mean it's only a few months ago that the VF-1S Hikaru and VF-1J Hikaru came out, plus we had the reissues of the VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S Focker quite recently as well. Not to mention the VF-1J Super Max is coming at the end of this month and the VF-1J Super Miria in April.

It's not a good idea for Yamato to over-saturate the market with 1/48 VF-1 toys. Frankly speaking after the Max and Miria come out, it would probably be a good idea for them to wait at least 1 or 2 years before producing anymore 1/48 VF-1 toys in order to increase the scarcity of the toys and give sufficient time for demand to build.

Graham

Frankly speaking after the Max and Miria come out, it would probably be a good idea for them to wait at least 1 or 2 years before producing anymore 1/48 VF-1 toys in order to increase the scarcity of the toys and give sufficient time for demand to build.

Graham

Good, because it will be 1 to 2 years before I can afford to get the Max and Millia 1/48s! :D

Frankly speaking after the Max and Miria come out, it would probably be a good idea for them to  wait at least 1 or 2 years before producing anymore 1/48 VF-1 toys in order to increase the scarcity of the toys and give sufficient time for demand to build.

Graham

Good, because it will be 1 to 2 years before I can afford to get the Max and Millia 1/48s! :D

Same....hoping that they don't become rare like them 1/48s. Problem with Yammies is that, they can get hard to find, depending on where you are. I'm sure Hong Kong won't be a problem though....

Same....hoping that they don't become rare like them 1/48s. Problem with Yammies is that, they can get hard to find, depending on where you are. I'm sure Hong Kong won't be a problem though....

I don't think the M&Ms will be a "limited edition," which means they shouldn't be difficult to find, like the low-vis. Unless you're posting up from Antarctica, I don't see the difficulty in getting any of the other 1/48s produced.

many here seem to forget that more than one member on this board runs a shop or small business out of the Hong Kong area..... if you're still looking for one of the older runs, put it up in the "wanted" section.. you might find someone still packing (although, the low-viz seems like a pretty dried up well at the moment)

Question -- How's the availability for the VF-11B Fast Pack version over in Japan right now?

I haven't got an FP one yet, and I was waiting until I go over there next month to do so. I just hope it's not become too hard to find yet.

Edited by Renato

Anyway,  I'm sure we will continue to see Macross products from Yamato, although even I don't really have a clear idea of what's in the pipeline apart from lots of Macross Zero stuff.

I thought the 1/60 monster was coming out as well?

As for the 1/48 VF-1 toys, well at the moment most asian retailers still have a fair amount of stock, so it's pointless putting the older 1/48 toys back into production at this time if no stores are going to buy them. It doesn't make good financial sense for Yamato to fill their warehouse full of 1/48s when there are no customers. I'm sure once the stock starts to thin-out Yamato will start getting requests from their distributors for more 1/48 toys and once they recieve enough orders they will pump out another production run.

Great. I can start building my air force. And finally start on the customs I been wanting to do. :)

It's not a good idea for Yamato to over-saturate the market with 1/48 VF-1 toys. Frankly speaking after the Max and Miria come out, it would probably be a good idea for them to  wait at least 1 or 2 years before producing anymore 1/48 VF-1 toys in order to increase the scarcity of the toys and give sufficient time for demand to build.

That means possibly VF-1A CF? Or even better yet, the two seaters VFs... Ok, I wont start that rumor but one can dream. ;)

Question -- How's the availability for the VF-11B Fast Pack version over in Japan right now?

I haven't got an FP one yet, and I was waiting until I go over there next month to do so. I just hope it's not become too hard to find yet.

I can't speak for Japan, but the VF-11B FP is still very easy to find here in Hong Kong. In fact during the recent MW HK Shopathon Kanto Hobby had them on sale and Guppy bought one for about HK$200 (£15) IIRC.

Graham