Australian SDF:Macross DVD box art

Cyclone

Cyclone by any chance does this contain all the removed scenes and dialogue

that was removed when turned into robotech???

More correctly is this the version of macross

that actually had english voice actors?

Though not as great as the original voice actors.

I know some time back a version was floating around of Macross

in English and got to see the english version when I

was work rostered to the Fillippine Islands up in Manila around '85

This is Super Dimensional Fortress Macross not Robotech, it's being made using Animegio's masters, which Madman got from Harmony Gold. So it's as uncut as Animeigo's release was.

Hard box with room for 3 DVD cases, Madman going for 2 discs style cases.

The recipe cards have been replaced with a trio of booklets, first with episode synopis fun facts, second with lyrics, third character profiles. Cases will have Animegio style vectored art covers.

The clincher, and the main reason why I'll pick this up, is the price tag of $150Aus, incredibly low compared to the US release. That and the fact it's present a March 2004 release :)

If it wasn't PAL format, I'd recommend US people import it...

Cyc

So there are only 6 DVDs? Dual-layer, then?

And are we sure it's the Animeigo master? There's some doubt whether HG used the Animeigo master in the latest RT release.

$150 AUD is about $118 USD...not a bad price, but then there's shipping. The Animeigo minibox sets are about the same price now if you shop with pricegrabber.com or similar comparison shopping site.

BTW, some multiregion DVD players can convert PAL discs to NTSC. Mine does, albeit with some slight vertical compression of the image...which is easily corrected by adjusting my TV set.

Hong Kong just got in their REAL Macross SDF-1 TV Boxed sets or so I'm told. Its 10 DVDs, 2 box set, but with Japanes and Chinese subtitles only with Japanese only audio tracks.

Cost is 660 HKD = 86 USD.

This is good for Chinese reading Macross fans. Even the bootleggers said that was the original deal, and not a bootleg. :D

I might have to pick this up and run it with on a PC supporting external subs. Anybody have Animeigo's english subtitles handy?

So there are only 6 DVDs? Dual-layer, then?

And are we sure it's the Animeigo master? There's some doubt whether HG used the Animeigo master in the latest RT release.

Nope, he said they're using 2 disc cases (and since there are 9 disc's....?)

If it weren't for the cool holographic card I use as a box set lid, I'd be a bit jealous.

3 case slots + 2 discs per case = 6 Dual layer discs, 3 episodes per layer.

Madman have confirmed that they do have the Animeigo masters. IMO RT Remastered does use the same masters, just the compression ruins it, with further degration from editing.

And yes I'll probably buy, mostly because Macross will be Madman's first non-bilingual subbed only release, so if it bombs other sub only shows might not make it out...such as some show called Mospeada, slated for release later this year ~_^

Cyc

Cyclone.

Mate!!

Where can I get a hold of this??

Well, it's not out yet with March 16th being the tentative release date, but I'm assuming that the usual places that get the whole range of Madman titles such as EB, HMV and JB Hi-Fi will carry it. Many of the local online stores are offering pre-orders for it, with the usual discounts for doing so. Failing that, buy direct from Madman.

Cyc

:blink: Wow, somethings do eventually make it down here after all...

Still $150 is a big hit for a uni student that's going to be buying textbooks and paying amenities fees at the same time...

<_< wonder what I can do to make my parents get this for me...

On the issue of copyrights, who would Madman have to buy licenses from to release Macross in Australia? Studio Nu or HG? Why does it have to have a HG logo on it? Cause HG subbed it? Just wondering. I'm still abit confused over the whole copyright issue Ewilen posed.

Another question, does these DVDs have dubs? If so, are they the exact same "robotech dubs" or are they a whole different dubbing?

On the issue of copyrights, who would Madman have to buy licenses from to release Macross in Australia? Studio Nu or HG? Why does it have to have a HG logo on it? Cause HG subbed it? Just wondering. I'm still abit confused over the whole copyright issue Ewilen posed.

Another question, does these DVDs have dubs? If so, are they the exact same "robotech dubs" or are they a whole different dubbing?

Madman licensed SDF:Macross, and SDC:Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada direct from Harmony Gold, who provided Animeigo and ADV's masters (footage, subs, extras) to all three shows.

Remember that HG claim that they have Worldwide (excluding Japan) rights to SDF: Macross, just they refused to give Animegio more than Region 1 rights. Madman's success from selling Robotech, also licensed direct from HG, probably showed that they could handle the other shows.

NO DUB. NOT ROBOTECH. MACROSS. Animegio never created one, and Madman aren't interested in dubbing, making do with what they get from their US/Japanese licensors. Unfortunately this has sealed the deathnell of any chance of getting Madman to change the Mospeada names back to normal, as they seem to be disinclined to mess with the already complete in bmp form ADV subtrack :(

Cyc

On the issue of copyrights, who would Madman have to buy licenses from to release Macross in Australia? Studio Nu or HG?

HG.

Why does it have to have a HG logo on it? Cause HG subbed it? Just wondering. I'm still abit confused over the whole copyright issue Ewilen posed.

Because it was licensed from HG and they own the distribution rights to Macross outside of Japan.

These are exactly the same thing as the R1 Animeigo set, just on six disks instead of nine and in the PAL format instead of NTSC.

Briefly, the general understanding is that Harmony Gold owns the exclusive right to distribute SDF Macross (the original TV series) outside of Japan. They purchased the right from Tatsunoko Productions, who in turn obtained it from Big West and Studio Nue as part of a contract during the original series' production in 1982.

However, it appears that TP has directly licensed the series in Korea, which might mean that HG's license is a bit more restricted than we've generally assumed. Or possibly TP bought some of the rights back from HG.

Anyway, the reason the Australian release has a HG logo on it is because HG licensed it to Madman for release in Australia. I assume it has the same subs as the Animeigo release--and if so, that probably means that HG obtained the right to use the Animeigo translation as part of Animeigo's contract to distribute SDF Macross in North America.

I'm guessing there aren't any dubs but Cyc will probably have a definitive answer.

Be nice, a MW member designed those covers afterall (though Garoquel, seriously, you should have sent higher quality image stock for them to use at the printers).

As for the recipe cards, AnimEigo is the only company that regularly releases liner notes, don't knock it.

Remember that HG claim that they have Worldwide (excluding Japan) rights to SDF: Macross, just they refused to give Animegio more than Region 1 rights. Madman's success from selling Robotech, also licensed direct from HG, probably showed that they could handle the other shows.

I never knew this...those b***ards.....they have worldwide distribution rights?! Damn! Makes you wonder how much they actually paid for the licenses.

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is dropping in Australia!?!?!?!? When and where do I camp out???

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o

March 17th 2004, the same day as the rest of Madman's 20+ March releases. RRP $149.95 Aus.

Cyc

Edited by Cyclone

:blink: Wow, somethings do eventually make it down here after all...

Still $150 is a big hit for a uni student that's going to be buying textbooks and paying amenities fees at the same time...

<_< wonder what I can do to make my parents get this for me...

Your handle is blasphemous... CROM is my god, and he lives in the Earth.

The clincher, and the main reason why I'll pick this up, is the price tag of $150Aus, incredibly low compared to the US release. That and the fact it's present a March 2004 release :)

If it wasn't PAL format, I'd recommend US people import it...

As i live in eurpoe and have a pal tv i think ill be getting it, know any good isites by nay chance

Hybridchild