re the Bandai versions any good?

BFG-1 Gigan

the 1/55's I'm talking about, I only have the Yamato 1/60 DYRL Skull leader, and the Yamato 1/60 Super Miria along with some of the Robotech Superdeformers, so i was thinking about picking up a Bandai model(The VF-1A Brown I was seriously considering, because it's usualy the cheapest) are they any good? I know that the Bandai models were used for Transformers G1 Jetfire, but I did heare that jetfire was very delicate, so I'm wondering if I should get a Bandai or save up my money for another 1/60.

(I'd get a 1/48 but their price range is a bit too high for a figure that's not the size of a small child(I have Brave Maximus and I spent well over a hundred for him))

I'd have to say that even with all of Yamato's bells and whistles I still love my chunkys the most. The only thing I've ever had break on me is a tailfin hinge on a Jetfire that I thorougly abused as a kid. It took 20 years to actually break.

Well a common problem I heard is that they have a tendency to be decapitated due to some sort of pins they have in their neck, is that true?

It also left a Valk's decapitated body lying on the floor next to his own severed head. A head which at this time has no name.

I know his name.

There can be only one!

I have something to say! It's better to burn out, than to fade away!

Graham

The 1/55's are undoubtedly alot sturdier than any Yamato (even the 1/48). They are hideous IMO, though. Yes, I've had my hands on reissues.

For all the scorn they get, I think the MPCs are the best midpoint between the accurate sculpts of the Yamto and sturdiness/playability of the Bandai. They don't feel like they're gonna break and are far more posable than the Bandai while not quite matching the beauty and accuracy of the Yamato. If Toynami would pull their head out of their ass and half the MSRP, they could make alot more sales.

Looking at my Hasbro 20th anniversary Optimus Prime, I kinda wish Bandai would put the same attention to detail for Macross. I know Bandai could match Takara/Hasbro and they'd likely be able to pump out enough volume to be able to beat Yamato on price while matching accuracy...

The chunky monkey will always hold a special place in my heart! There is just a coolness about them that doesn't exist in any other Macross toys, even the 1/48s.

I haven't given up hope in Bandai reissuing the VE-1 and VT-1. :D

Joe P.

It also left a Valk's decapitated body lying on the floor next to his own severed head. A head which at this time has no name.

I know his name.

There can be only one!

Graham

Heh heh... great to see other Queen fans on the board.... just look at my sig...

Gigan, the chunky monkeys are about the toughest toys you'll find, especially for Macross. I'm sure you can break them, but you'll have to be actively trying....

Bandai Valks make great "play" toys.... the Yamatos are just too damn fragile for that. The 1/48s do it much better than the 1/60s, though...

You need to put a sledge hammer to a chuncky money if you want to break the thing.

Well if you read the "Child proofing" your collection thread... I bet the average 4yo could probably do it without foreign objects :D

I agree my 1/55 bandai is a tank

I love my Bandai CF. It's been growing on me the more I leave it on my desk. I bought it intending to put it away, too. Now, it's getting Fast Packs and may substitute a while for the missing 1/48 CF I've wanted.

If I ever have any kids, they'll get that and the Skull 001 Bandai I have tucked away.

The 1/55 design? The Diecast masterpiece Chunky Monkey? Delicate...

Nope... in fact -

He is the strongest of all the immortals. He's the *PERFECT* warrior. If he wins the Prize mortal man would suffer an eternity of darkness.

How do you fight such a savage?

With heart, faith and steel. In the end there can be only one.

;)

Bandai's rule. Nothing is built better. What might be delicate on it are the some of the fast pack armor pieces. Like the backpack piece or the leg clips. If your buying a reissue 1A avoid the DYRL white and red valk. I've yet to see one where the chest piece lock correctly in fighter mode. THe 1A cannon fodder is great!

Have fun with your new toy.

You can still find all of these easy enough

VF-1S

VF-1S w/ Fast Packs

VF-1J Hikaru

VF-1A Hikaru DYRL colors

VF-1A CF

Tam and Kevin both have some on sale.

There should still be some floating around in the sale forum too somewhere.

Well a common problem I heard is that they have a tendency to be decapitated due to some sort of pins they have in their neck, is that true?

LOL....not true. The 1/55 is a very tough toy.

Graham

my old vf1j's arm broke of rather easily. they can be fragile in soem areas. wel I had th eoirignal vf1j not th ebandai reissue.

Graham

my old vf1j's arm broke of rather easily. they can be fragile in soem areas. wel I had th eoirignal vf1j not th ebandai reissue.

Well didn't his mom tell him that he will go blind... or his arm will fall off if he keeps doing that? :D

Graham

Well didn't his mom tell him that he will go blind... or his arm will fall off if he keeps doing that? :D

Yeah. But that did nto stop you either so you should not be talking. lol. j./k serisoly the arm at teh sholder wehre itis attached othe bodey god loose then snapped off.

Graham

Yeah. But that did nto stop you either so you should not be talking. lol. j./k serisoly the arm at teh sholder wehre itis attached othe bodey god loose then snapped off.

Ya I have the same problem... my doctor told me years ago that I would need shoulder surgery. How does your Valk cope with the hairy palms?? ;):D:rolleyes::lol:B))

Ok where should I get the Bandais from, I was thinking of Bigbadtoystore.com because of their flat shipping rate and reliable service, but then there is imageanime.com has more of a selection, but their shipping isn't a flat rate.

You can keep an eye on HLJ, they have sales on the chuncky monkey fairly often.

The most commonly broken part I see on 1/55ths are the shoulder joints. The myth behind Jetfires fraility mostly comes from the fact that he was one of the most complex transforming toy placed in the TFer line, and little kids (and really stupid adults) forced joints in ways they were not meant to be forced.

yep - any transformer-aged kid would utterly destroy a yammie in frustration. and fun. a chunk monk jetfire might be tougher than the normal TFs to transform, but it's the easiest of all the macross-related toys, and yes it's built like a tank. look in the selling thread here at MW, you may find someone willing to unload a cannon fodder for you so you wont have to turn to ebay or whatever. make sure to check the blacklisted seller list tho!

Edited by JValk

(I'd get a 1/48 but their price range is a bit too high for a figure that's not the size of a small child(I have Brave Maximus and I spent well over a hundred for him))

Oh, and while the 1/48 is pricy you should at least have one of them.

I know his name.

There can be only one!

Graham

Highlander was a great movie.

The forehead guy!

(aka Christopher Lambert)

Ok where should I get the Bandais from, I was thinking of Bigbadtoystore.com because of their flat shipping rate and reliable service, but then there is imageanime.com has more of a selection, but their shipping isn't a flat rate.

You can keep an eye on HLJ, they have sales on the chuncky monkey fairly often.

Not much of a sale considering the shipping you'd ending up paying. Get it from BBTS. Their service is great. If anything goes wrong, it won't be a hassle to get your problem fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my VF-1A from Tisinc99.com they sent it fast and it was as cheap as anywhere else. I got my VF-1S super valk from imageanime and I gotta say, the box was totally bashed, torn, it looked like they used it as a seat cusion. I am not exagerating. I was absolutely disheartened when i got it out of its box! I know it didn't happen during shipping too because the box it came in was in great shape, large enough to hold it, and it was full of peanuts to hold it steady. It was the first, and last item I think I can order from them.