VF-1 in Blender

The Original Cobywan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The Original Cobywan said:

I took a break from this for a few weeks.  I think I'm satisfied with the proportions on this one.  For now anyway.

Here are some quick panel line breaks.

Paneling_001.png

Paneling_002.png

Paneling_003.png

Paneling_004.png

Hey! good job!

Panel lines are a PITA. How do you carve them? I manually cut them by hand in 3DS Max.

• 2 weeks later...

I got super frustrated trying to sort out how the canopy shield can deploy during transformation.  I decided to do something simpler and attach the aircraft to the ground in my renders.

If I didn't decide to learn mechanical rigging it would have been easy as pie. but......

Ouch my brain hurts.

Front Gear Rig.png

Landing Gear_001.png

Landing Gear_002.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 4:08 PM, The Original Cobywan said:

I've been using a non-destructive boolean modifier stack on the paneling until I feel it looks good enough for me.

Bools.png

Ah - only saw this now. Boolean works a lot better in Blender than it does in 3DS. When I use boolean in 3DS it usually kills my meshes in some way or another, so I have to be super careful when going that route.

And look at that print! Nice one - I bet the walls are a bit too thin. I had that with my VF-9 and had to redo the wall thickness on my meshes.

Really positive so far. You have the 1/48 Yamato long nosecone issue which comes with the territory. Are you going to be engineering all the joints and transformation mechanisms? I have lots of thoughts on engineering I've been wanting to work on in Fusion 360 but I never have any time :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, The Original Cobywan said:

Yeah.  It's not a quick set of skills to pick up.  I've been using Blender for 4 years now.  I only just recently become confident enough to try this subject.

I mean, it looks so good! Especially the modeling skill progression from the first pics to now... but you're now getting a granular level of detail that is just... wow! That VF-1J head was a double-take I couldn't believe how fine it was.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really struggling with my render settings and setup.  In an attempt to get a better sense of realism in the image I found a free Aircraft Carrier on Sketchfab to plant my model on.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/ofs-kestrel-d40d8d249ed94cb5a7c5c48a668f5e6b

p.s.  The cockpit interior is by Pablo Roldan.  Found for free online.  I will me building a TV version for this when I feel good about the rest.

flight deck_001d.png

Edited by The Original Cobywan