Facing the inevitable...

Robin-11

Hey everybody,

So i am considering selling my entire Macross collection. Around 80 pieces, mostly Bandai dx, Yamato and Arcadia. What do you guys think would be the best way(I don’t deal with e-bay, sorry)? Do you think there might be somebody interested in buying the entire lot? Or maybe it would be better to sell it as separate lots(maybe one for each series, M+, Delta etc.). What are the best channels to explore? (besides the MWF, of course). Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.

I'm sorry to hear you're considering to sell for whatever reason, it's happened to many of us in the past.  6 years ago I needed to raise a large amount for a down payment on our dream house.  I sold our 2nd car locally, my model railroad collection locally and then my Valkyrie collection internationally here on Macross World to fellow collectors.  That gave me the funds I needed, and I subsequently rebuilt my collection to be even larger.  It was a bummer at the time, but it allowed me to really focus on and identify what I truly enjoy collecting the most.  Which is the super rare Macross resin kits, especially the transformable ones.  So don't feel bad, you can always collect again later.

Unfortunately, international shipping is pretty expensive for various reasons.  As someone said, much better to sell locally and do meet ups at safe places whenever possible, or my preference is to ship via cash on delivery.  It protects both parties, they don't pay until they get their package and you don't risk losing your item. 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, ChristopherB said:

I'm sorry to hear you're considering to sell for whatever reason, it's happened to many of us in the past.  6 years ago I needed to raise a large amount for a down payment on our dream house.  I sold our 2nd car locally, my model railroad collection locally and then my Valkyrie collection internationally here on Macross World to fellow collectors.  That gave me the funds I needed, and I subsequently rebuilt my collection to be even larger.  It was a bummer at the time, but it allowed me to really focus on and identify what I truly enjoy collecting the most.  Which is the super rare Macross resin kits, especially the transformable ones.  So don't feel bad, you can always collect again later.

Unfortunately, international shipping is pretty expensive for various reasons.  As someone said, much better to sell locally and do meet ups at safe places whenever possible, or my preference is to ship via cash on delivery.  It protects both parties, they don't pay until they get their package and you don't risk losing your item. 

Good luck!

Thank you for your symphaty. Last few years have been really tough for me and not only because of the pandemic. I find myself in need to let go of something in order to...surivive a bit better than what i am doing now. Luckily enough it's not something that i absolutely need to do from one day to another so i can take my time to organize things in the right way. I really admire your strength to start collecting from scratch again. It takes a lot of courage to do that. And a lot of patience. Considering i am almost 43 and i started collecting macross toys in the 90s to me it would be the end of an era. Which it's something i gladly accept. 

Anyway, i am under the impression that i probably should try and check the local marketplace here in my country or at least in continent(europe). Thanks for the advice, i will soon start to take a look at them. 

If you are not in a hurry, you can sell individually to people who really want what you have. I always feel like people buying in bulk are trying get deals to flip even if that might not be the case. I'm saying this because I hope you let people in this community including myself have a shot at what you may have😆.

Even though I really should be doing something similar to you and be selling instead of buying but that another issue.

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

If you are not in a hurry, you can sell individually to people who really want what you have. I always feel like people buying in bulk are trying get deals to flip even if that might not be the case. I'm saying this because I hope you let people in this community including myself have a shot at what you may have😆.

Even though I really should be doing something similar to you and be selling instead of buying but that another issue.

Ah ah, don't worry, i used to have the same problem too. Actually probably i still do for some of the lines i love the most. 

Anyway, i will definitely be trying to sell something here too, whether it's going to be the whole lot or just piece by piece ;) 

10 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

Ah ah, don't worry, i used to have the same problem too. Actually probably i still do for some of the lines i love the most. 

Anyway, i will definitely be trying to sell something here too, whether it's going to be the whole lot or just piece by piece ;) 

Cool, maybe you can post here as a heads up when you list because some of us never go to the market section unless something is pointed out.

17 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Cool, maybe you can post here as a heads up when you list because some of us never go to the market section unless something is pointed out.

Sure thing and thank you for the advice!

Actually i already made a post a couple of months ago with few things for sale... Nobody really seemed to care though. Maybe because i look new on the forum but i am really not. I am a user since 2007/2008 with the nickname of ryoma-01. Unfortunately i couldn't retrieve my password after the hacker attack on the server some months ago so i had to create a new account.

1 minute ago, jenius said:

The easiest way to do that is watch the wanted forum. When people say they want something, let them know you have it. Then, very gradually, you can shrink the collection and it's not a big burden all at once.

That's a great suggestion actually! Thank you!

Just throwing my two cents in. A lot of people in here already have quite a few pieces, and maybe they’re looking for just one in particular. If you tried to sell yours in groupings of like 10 let’s say, somebody might not want the other nine so they may just pass. It may not be ideal but selling one at a time may be better. 

11 hours ago, sjoebarry said:

Just throwing my two cents in. A lot of people in here already have quite a few pieces, and maybe they’re looking for just one in particular. If you tried to sell yours in groupings of like 10 let’s say, somebody might not want the other nine so they may just pass. It may not be ideal but selling one at a time may be better. 

You are right definitely right but it's even harder to let go one by one instead of everything together. It's like a stab in the heart every time i prepare a package. Also, i was hoping that someone would be interested in buying the entire lot since it might have a good reselling value. We will see!

1 hour ago, Robin-11 said:

You are right definitely right but it's even harder to let go one by one instead of everything together. It's like a stab in the heart every time i prepare a package. Also, i was hoping that someone would be interested in buying the entire lot since it might have a good reselling value. We will see!

Have you considered one of the Macross FB groups? 

I've seen some posts from users here on those platforms.

5 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

As a toy collector in this day & age I've come to several avenues of practice to get around the tight noose of bloated tax's.

Ebay, Mercari & Likes will report you for selling that exceeds $600 and send you an I-99, last year by the time I paid Fed 30% tax ,state, local + hit for shipping I only got 31cents for every dollar on things I was only breaking even on. like others have pointe out bypass Ebay if you can.

Post also on the biggest three TF forums too, sometimes those guys will buy anything  resembling Jetfire or that just Transforms

Sell on CL & FB and offer to also ship for a small fee, take cash local and to ship only take a personnel check after it clears or a Gift through Paypal (not a business payment) or use something like Cash App.

Sell a few on Ebay just offer to take payments by personnel check then once cleared (ask bank how long to hold after cleared to be safe) you can ship while also offering a 10% discount for those who pay by check while also letting them know they will not have to pay state states a 10% further discount + free shipping for a total of 20%plus off there order, once they contact you for check mailing address mark the sale as payment pending then after the transaction is over just wait two weeks then cancel order by inputting you could not find there address or something else that does not strike your account or there's. 

Any fast sales of your entire collection at once could be a challenge if your not willing to piece it all out over a few months.

For the I-99 thing, for future tax dealings, make sure you remove the basis on the goods you sell- your income is not the sales amount but the actual money you made. So if you paid $250 for something and sell it on ebay for $300, you may get an I-99 for $300, but you only made $50 in income due to your $250 basis in there.

Not that I do tax economics for a living or anything. 😁

On 6/24/2023 at 2:06 PM, dtwn said:

Have you considered one of the Macross FB groups? 

I've seen some posts from users here on those platforms.

yes, i am aware of them and actually did already use their pages for some transactions. Thank you. The problem though is that i have the feeling people do not feel comfortable to buy toys that are expensive without the protection of ebay or other similar platforms. Also the fact that i am located in Italy doesn't help. There aren't many Macross fans around here or in Europe in general and we all know how much shipping cost can affect the final price of a macross toy. 

• 2 weeks later...

So in the end i decided to start selling only part of my Macross (and mospeada) collection. For now. As suggested by someone, i am posting the link to the topic. I hope you can find some good deals. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!