Bublegum Crisis being re-released

areaseven

Despite her name, Priss is too much of an "ape-woman"

OMG!! Take that back!!!

This is my 4th fav series of all time and in a way I've come to despise the 2040 version.

Nope, I'm not taking it back :p That "ape-woman" crack came straight from Nene in part 8 when Linna and Priss were giving her a hard time during training excercises.

BTW, did any of you get a chance to read Adam Warren's Grand Mal? If you hate what he did with the Dirty Pair, you'd probably want to steer clear of it. Warren didn't take too many liberties with his take on BGC, but he does add a little more detail about Sylia and her origin. Overall I thought the story is kinda stale (rogue vengeful android, yadda yadda), and his drawings are too clean and simplistic.

Out of interest, how do you BGC fanatics rate Bubblegum Crash? :huh: I gotta know since I just picked up the Manga UK DVD for like ten bucks.

Out of 10, I'd give it a 6. Crash wasn't horrible, but I think the attempt to bring Largo back fell flat. And the old suits looked better than the ones Crash introduced. Dig that theme song though!

BTW, did any of you get a chance to read Adam Warren's Grand Mal? If you hate what he did with the Dirty Pair, you'd probably want to steer clear of it. Warren didn't take too many liberties with his take on BGC, but he does add a little more detail about Sylia and her origin. Overall I thought the story is kinda stale (rogue vengeful android, yadda yadda), and his drawings are too clean and simplistic.

Grand Mal is utter trash. I don't mind his art style so much, it's okay for what it is. But he managed to mess up Priss' character reeeeeeeeeally bad. The general storyline was really... eh, whats the point? I was not impressed. Better off picking up AD police or AD Police 25:00 if you want a BGC comic fix.

BGC was the first anime I started with, and the only one I've bought on VHS, then Laserdisc, and then DVD. The music and hardsuit designs are what sucked me in, and the characters kept me there. I also love the AD Police series prequels, and even the less well rated BGCrash! show...

Besides, it has Oomori Kinuko in it, and I'm a big Silk fan....

I have to say, though, I love the hardsuit designs for Crash... like them better than Crisis, though the Mark II Suits in Crisis come very close...

As to the 2040 series, I rather liked it. It's not as strong as the first show in any aspect, but I didn't hate it. I did like the music, though A7 is dead on the konya wa Hurricane remake....

I've never been a big fan of Priss. In fact it delighted me whenever something really bad happened to her in the series.

I really wish more episodes would have been made, it truly is a classic show now with a classic art style and excellent music.

Speaking of Kenichi Sonoda, what's he been up to these days? It seems that he hasn't done much after Gunsmith Cats was made into a 3-episode OAV (he should've made it at least a 13-episode TV series instead).

Isn't the GSC manga still running? Personally, I never cared for GSC. Sonoda's a good artist, but I don't think his writing skills are up to par.

Isn't the GSC manga still running? Personally, I never cared for GSC. Sonoda's a good artist, but I don't think his writing skills are up to par.

When a manga artist has The Blues Brothers and the original Gone in 60 Seconds as his favorite movies, don't expect a great story from him.

It's basically huge robots, guns and tits. Great!!! :-)

I think the proper description for EXaXXion is "Huge Robots, Big Guns and holy-mother-of-god-sized tits". :) :)

Honestly, any bigger and his female characters in EXaXXion won't need life vests while in water. "Personal Floatation Devices", indeed!

It's basically huge robots, guns and tits. Great!!! :-)

I think the proper description for EXaXXion is "Huge Robots, Big Guns and holy-mother-of-god-sized tits". :) :)

Honestly, any bigger and his female characters in EXaXXion won't need life vests while in water. "Personal Floatation Devices", indeed!

Are you telling me they're larger than those of Masami Obari's chicks?

There's at least one person who's absolutely obsessed with Sylia.......MACKY!

My favoite part would have to be just about everything, with the music standing out (I probably watch hurricane live more than the OVA's).

Still haven't seen Crash, though it's on my plate for next year.

2040 had a ton of potential, but was hampered by ADV's influence trying to make it an Evangelion clone. The invasion of A.D. Police headquarters was cool though. I'd say while not the best, I enjoyed it. I hope they bring back the orignal styled hardsuits for 2041 though.

Well, you're not missing much.

- The animation quality of Crash is inferior to eps. 5-6 of BGC.

- Due to her commitment as a rock singer, Kinuko Omori stepped down as the voice of Priss. She was replaced by J-Pop singer Ryoko Tachikawa. As a result, Priss' character gets screwed up and she betrays us by becoming an idol singer.

- No GENOM here. Not even an explanation of what happened to the corporation.

Of all the animated incarnations of BGC, Crash is the weakest. At least it's still better than Adam Warren's poor attempt at doing a BGC comic.

- Due to her commitment as a rock singer, Kinuko Omori stepped down as the voice of Priss. She was replaced by J-Pop singer Ryoko Tachikawa. As a result, Priss' character gets screwed up and she betrays us by becoming an idol singer.

Of all the animated incarnations of BGC, Crash is the weakest. At least it's still better than Adam Warren's poor attempt at doing a BGC comic.

You forgot to mention the fact that Crash is mostly over the top silliness and has none of Crisis' edginess.

What happened to Genom was this. At the end of the vision episode, the american boomer designer was arrested and turned states evidence that Genom was making illeagal combat boomers. Rosenquaritz(SP?) the head of genom was arrested, while the company for the most part was broken up and sold to several other companies, Notably the comapny that was designing the new A.I. in bubble gum crash. Genom still exists but in a form nowhere the mega corp it was. This was one of the reasons Nene thought the nightsabers were breaking up. Linna was a stockbroker, Priss got her singing contract, Sylia got her revenge and was now focusing on her clothes/lingerie shop.

Thanks guys for the feedback on Bubblegum Crash! I just need to get around to buying the original Crisis DVD releases. Thing is, i'm not really sure about it seeing as a lot people said it was a flawed release (horrid menus, VHS quality video etc...)

As far as Kenichi Sonoda goes, didn't he do Riding Bean after GSC? :unsure:

Riding Bean was pre-GSC. That's why Rally in the RB anime looks a lot different from the Rally we all know now. When Artmic closed the ownership of the characters in the Riding Bean OVA was under dispute. Sonoda changed her look and put out the manga. I guess after it was settled, he was able to use Bean in the stories.

The BGC DVD's aren't as bad as some are saying. The video isn't majorly flawed, and my only real gripe with the set is that M2K used the dub video masters (and as such, the english ending credits). If they'd have used the raw ones, the set would be in better shape. Suffice it to say, there's a reason AnimEigo is authoring disc's themselves now.

As for Crash, I own Macross II, Orguss 02, & Megazone 23 Prt III, so owning Crash won't kill me :)

I've never seen that manga, but there is enough info there to be an interesting read.

Sonoda's current work is Canon God EXaXXion... currently up to book 7 or 8 in Japan, but only at book 2 in English. It's basically huge robots, guns and tits. Great!!! :-)

Book 6 only just came out last month in Japan. Books 7 and 8 are a good bit off, I should say.... they tend to be released one a year....

Been following that one since 1998....

• 3 months later...

This nice little tidbit was mentioned in Right Stuf's weekly update e-mail:

***  Packaging Crisis  ***

If you've been looking for the Bubblegum Crisis DVD Set and individual

DVDs and

haven't found them, don't worry - they're not being discontinued. We

recieved word

from AnimEigo that due to an expired sublicense with M2K - AnimEigo

will be

redesigning the packaging and giving Bubblegum Crisis a newer, fresher

look. You

can expect to see its release sometime in mid 2004, we'll be sure to

update you

when this wonderful series is available for order once again!

Hopefully this includes a remaster. From the wording it kind of looks that way. New packaging and a fresher look.

We can hope at least.