BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

I just read Dirk's article. I didn't get the impression that he wanted to be Starbuck again. It seems to also go a bit deeper in that he sees the new Galactica a a reflection of the changes in our society which he finds unfavorable. They've taken a charachter he obviously spent alot of time and effort bringing to life and ruined it in his eyes. I have to say I wasn't thrilled to find out Starbuck was a chick either but I've gotten over it.

Here's a link with the article for the curious:

http://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/home/ar...ticle.php?nid=1

Ahhhh, 20 episodes a season is more like it. And summer isn't far off at all, I thought it'd be off till late Fall. Also great they kept the whole cast, if only everone can keep their ego's in check, this show could have a really great run.

And once and for all, I like the female Starbuck, Katee Sackhoff plays the role very well. Let's be honest, the original series is a campy, hokey kind of show. That's why it never got much attention till now. The whole 're-imagining' is what's crucial, in the original, you have an interesting premise, but done in a real cheesy simplistic way. Now, not only do you have vastly better special effects, but it is 'tolerable' to have more mature/believable sub-plots.

The least believable thing about the new BSG, by the way, is the relationship between Boomer and the mechanic dude. He's homely looking AND lower in rank? Come on! :lol:

Regarding Hatch, he was bad-mouthing the whole new show. I don't know why they gave him a role, I mean you put out bad karma, you ought to get it in return.

The least believable thing about the new BSG, by the way, is the relationship between Boomer and the mechanic dude. He's homely looking AND lower in rank? Come on! :lol:

Hey, it happens. I had a buddy in the Corps who married an officer in the Air Force. While the Corps frowns on officers fraternizing with enlisted men as does the other military branches, it's apparently okay to do so if they are in another branch of the service.

As for Boomer and the Chief... Hey, he's the chief. He's a senior enlisted man. And everyone knows that it's the senior non-comms who basically run the show as to how well the troops work. So of course some young flighty hot chick pilot is going to find him sexy, no matter how ugly he is and how pissed off we get because it ain't us hittin' it.

And by the way, to correct something:

post-26-1109228830_thumb.jpg

Great article Opus. WHile I agreed with him in some point, some of his thinking is out of date. I'm sure a lot of guys here would disagree. People tend to write about the bleaker world because theres a lot more of it available to us on TV and in the news. I don't believe BSG was hokey for back then but I can see where people just don't find comfort in the same ideologies as before. And as for having a female Starbuck just because the suits have won, I don't buy that either. I seem to find that the writers on this show have a lot more freedom than shows on network TV, where the suits really have the writer's balls in a vice. Female leads are more acceptable and even trendy now. AS long as it's written well, I'm ok by it.

Regarding Hatch, he was bad-mouthing the whole new show. I don't know why they gave him a role, I mean you put out bad karma, you ought to get it in return.

I don't remember him bad mouthing the show... maybe in an interview I never read, but I remember he was just disappointed that the show he intended never got off the ground. They never really took him seriously. He's been working on it for a long time, even before when Singer had the project. As for having him on the show, it makes sense to have someone that'll bring in the old fans and he seemed the only one interested in the job, or any job for that matter.

Hatch's tone in the mini series lowdown (on the DVD) was that they were messing with a sci fi "classic" in changing the tone and characters and that he wasn't exactly pleased...but he did have an open mind in wanting to see what was actually done...I know he didn't agree with Starbuck and Boomer being changed to women, saying somewhat that women shouldn't be in those roles because those characters weren't women( well, they are the same character in name only since this is a re-imagining).

His tone is somewhat changed, being now on the show; he is still trying to get some kind of continuation project going, banking on the success of the new show allowing him to bring to "a close" the original series. Galactica 1980 is considered non canon by everyone.

As for Dirk's take...while his basic message is somewhat true...the new show isn't a case of change for the sake of change and it turns out crappy but you'll like it because it's on TV...it actually is superior. So...while normally, re-doing things turns out crappy...in this case...it's really not.

Stardoe :lol:

Dirk Benedict is the man. That said for that article, he's on in some places, but miss in others.

While "Stardoe" isn't as entertaining a character as the Real original Starbuck, it's still a good character. It's just not the same character in anything other than name.

I would have much preferred gritty sequel than gritty remake, but this show is still pretty good. So far.

Wow, Great episode last night! Definate Abu Garb (spelling) referenses. I have a theory I've been suspecting, espesially after last night. I think Roslyn is a Cylon. I don't now anything about what really happens, these are just my thoughts so I hope no one gets pissed :p this is why I think she is one though.

1. In the mini-series she has that incredibly STUPID decision of staying put when a cylon missile is coming at them. She offers no alternate course of action, Lee thankfully saves the day out of dumb luck. Moore recently explained this situation, though as a weak point in the script that he really would've liked to have fixed in some way. That was the part of the mini I really hated because She came off as such an IDIOT!!! :D

2. In Episode "33" when #6 wants Baltar to repent his sins and the Olympic carrier is closing on the fleet, it's Roslyns decision to destroy it. She makes her decision only after he repents. Could be a coinsidence or maby not. ;)

3. Last night Leobin says he or the human Cylons , can't remember which, can see the future, Roslyn, after watching the whole episode, clearly "saw" the future.

4. SHE HAS CANCER!!!! How are they gonna write themselves out of that!!! Maybe the Cylons made themselves too Human or she is just an older model and more suseptible to human illnesses, I don't know but this is something pretty big for a major cast member to have at the start of a series.

5. This goes with the last one as well....Other people have stated that it was pretty stupid for an otherwise intelegent woman to go 5 years without a medical or breast exam...again she maybe an older model cylon an doesn't want people taking too close a look at her and possibly discover her identity.

6. Leobin seems to have cnfirmed what Adama tells Starbuck before she leaves to interogate him. That he(Leobin) has a mission to accomplish and to be carefull with him, that he wants to put distrust in our minds. After all he goes through He still gets to Roslyn, wispers "Adama is a Cylon" to her and that's it, mission accomplished. He either succeeds in putting distrust in the colonials leaders or maybe it was an activation code for the sleeper part of Roslyn...possibly both.

These are just my thoughts and theories, just curious what you all think

Chris

After saying all of that. I hope they don't start making all major cast members Cylons. Boomer was good enough, now lets just leave the remaining 8 cylon models to be "other" people.

Chris

They could really run this "who is a Cylon?" thing into the ground. So far it seems the only things the BSG and the fleet are on the run from are themselves. Lets hit some planets, lets find some other humans or species, and lets see some goddamn Basestars.

Wow, Great episode last night! Definate Abu Garb (spelling) referenses.

While I would admit that the United States has done its fair share to aggravate the sensibilities of those within its military penal system, PoW or otherwise, I find your remarks about Battlestar Galactica's use of so-called Abu Ghraib interrogation techniques somewhat irresponsible. The US military drills into each recruit's head from day one to abide by the code of conduct and the laws of war when regarding the capture of enemy combatants. But when an incidence of mistreatment surfaces and becomes mainstream, everyone seems to point the finger at the US, when there are other countries much worse than we are. God, if I had been captured, I sure would have rather had womens' underwear put on my head, pranced around naked, and dragged by a leash for all to see. It sure beats having my body placed feet first into a wood chipper, or having bamboo splinters rammed up underneath my fingernails, or crammed into a 4' x 4' x 4' cage and left out in the sun to bake. If anything, Battlestar Galactica's references to interrogation techniques are more common to what the former Soviet KGB, or any of its Bloc nations would have done to prisoners.

And another thing, a lot of us have not seen most of the episodes listed here. Don't go blurting out things like "Adama is a Cylon". Good thing I did watch last night. So please add a spoiler tag to your message to keep one from accidentally reading what he doesn't know.

As for last night's episode, I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the witch-hunt episode, which I feel has been the weakest one to date, IMO. The series is shaping up to be a good one, and I have to admit, that while I did not care for it when the pilot first aired, I have turned around and become a fan.

I dunno. Last night's episode wasnt all that excitinga nd the seeing previews of the next episode with Col. Tigh's wife, I am having a hard time believing his wife is a lot younger and damn sexy. Then again, there are dirty old men. :rolleyes: Overall, IMO I am slowly feeling the boredom of BSG after the witch hunt episode. Yes I see the implications but I grow weary of this who's who or better yet who is a Cylon. Frankly it is getting old. I am waiting to dee how the next episode turns out.

******SPOILER*****

******SPOILER*****

******SPOILER*****

******SPOILER*****

******SPOILER*****

I liked it when Baltar was seeing on the computer that Boomer was in the "red" on the Cylon detector and Six was telling the possiblitles that Boomer would kill him to keep her identity if he told her (Boomer). He was nervously trying to change it on the computer. It was decision of Baltar not to tell her and lie to her about but the question remains will he reveal it to Adama?

Also it doesnt make sense that if Adama is Cylon. Almost all the cylons seem to "lost" their families. Obviously Adama has a son. Recall Baltar inquiring into Boomer's past. It seems these Cylons get placed very conveniently but the next episode will seem to contradict it with Col. Tigh's wife which I am having a hard time in believing.

First, I enjoyed the last episode, BUT, was I the only one to be pissed off at the opening sequence? It starts with the opening theme and shots of Caprica and the Cylon attack, but then they switch to scenes of THAT episode now airing, so you see what amounts to spoilers about what's about to happen in the episode BEFORE you can watch it. :angry:

SPOILERS, sort of;

They show the Cylon prisoner attacking Starbuck, they show the Cyclon about to be sucked out the airlock... why the hell show that BEFORE the episode airs????????????? This is the one really objectionable thing about the new BSG, I haver to remember to flip away from now on when the opening starts. :( What are they thinking!?!

Edited by Major Johnathan

Regarding the torture thing, the creators mentioned that this show was influenced by the 'mood' after 9-11. I would object to the Abu Graib comparison too, it's more a general refrence to the dilemma of having an utterly ruthless enemy that does not have the slightest concern about YOUR laws or YOUR morals or YOUR rights, they simply want you dead and out of the way.

I think it's fair to say the writers are making the Cylons into a kind of terrorist style force with the power to back up their philosophy. Meaning not just the terrorist method, but the power (fleets and weapons) to achieve their goals. They even have the Cylons resorting to suicide bombing, sabotage, false threats and real threats to create fear,confusion,mistrust and paranoia.

Wow, Great episode last night! Definate Abu Garb (spelling) referenses.

While I would admit that the United States has done its fair share to aggravate the sensibilities of those within its military penal system, PoW or otherwise, I find your remarks about Battlestar Galactica's use of so-called Abu Ghraib interrogation techniques somewhat irresponsible. The US military drills into each recruit's head from day one to abide by the code of conduct and the laws of war when regarding the capture of enemy combatants. But when an incidence of mistreatment surfaces and becomes mainstream, everyone seems to point the finger at the US, when there are other countries much worse than we are. God, if I had been captured, I sure would have rather had womens' underwear put on my head, pranced around naked, and dragged by a leash for all to see. It sure beats having my body placed feet first into a wood chipper, or having bamboo splinters rammed up underneath my fingernails, or crammed into a 4' x 4' x 4' cage and left out in the sun to bake. If anything, Battlestar Galactica's references to interrogation techniques are more common to what the former Soviet KGB, or any of its Bloc nations would have done to prisoners.

And another thing, a lot of us have not seen most of the episodes listed here. Don't go blurting out things like "Adama is a Cylon". Good thing I did watch last night. So please add a spoiler tag to your message to keep one from accidentally reading what he doesn't know.

As for last night's episode, I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the witch-hunt episode, which I feel has been the weakest one to date, IMO. The series is shaping up to be a good one, and I have to admit, that while I did not care for it when the pilot first aired, I have turned around and become a fan.

Sorry if I "BLURTED" out anything. I'm not trying to spoil anything for anyone....I know how it feels. However, I was discussing an episode that already aired and "we" meaning the people of this forum have been discussing the episodes as they air here.

Secondly, RDM has already stated that there is a link to this episode and what happened in Iraq. Not trying to get political so CHILL! I was in the service also. I'm not knocking our service or the colonial methods seen in the episode. I was mearly pointing out how themes in the show are being drawn from real life events, NOT specific actions. I agree with you on how the world and/or the Media views the US and our actions, and your feelings on tecniques that were used as opposed to what has happened to our service men and women in the past. Please do not call me irresponsible when you don't know all the facts about me or my statement, THAT would be irresponsible ;) Enough political talk and back on topic

Chris

They show the Cylon prisoner attacking Starbuck, they show the Cyclon about to be sucked out the airlock... why the hell show that BEFORE the episode airs????????????? This is the one really objectionable thing about the new BSG, I haver to remember to flip away from now on when the opening starts. :( What are they thinking!?!

One other show did the same irritating thing. The first season of Space: 1999 would show clips from that week's episode during the opening theme, kind of giving the viewer a preview of what was to come. As a ten year-old kid watching the show when it came on, I thought it was cool, but when I got the series on DVD it kind of annoyed me. I do not know if anyone here is a fan of that particular show from the 70's as I am, but when I saw the first episode of Battlestar Galactica's new season, I kind of put the two together.

They show the Cylon prisoner attacking Starbuck, they show the Cyclon about to be sucked out the airlock... why the hell show that BEFORE the episode airs?????????????  This is the one really objectionable thing about the new BSG, I haver to remember to flip away from now on when the opening starts.  :(  What are they thinking!?!

One other show did the same irritating thing. The first season of Space: 1999 would show clips from that week's episode during the opening theme, kind of giving the viewer a preview of what was to come. As a ten year-old kid watching the show when it came on, I thought it was cool, but when I got the series on DVD it kind of annoyed me. I do not know if anyone here is a fan of that particular show from the 70's as I am, but when I saw the first episode of Battlestar Galactica's new season, I kind of put the two together.

I remember that as well, someone in another forum had asked Moore about that in an interview. I'm pretty sure he said he was gonna keep doing it.

Chris

Here Ya' go. Quote from a RDM BLOG on sci-fi. :)

"What made you decide to show glimpses of the current episode at the end of the opening credits? Oh, and could you please stop doing that? (:"

This is a trick that "Space: 1999" used to do and I proudly stole it from them. And, no, I won't. Nice try, though.

Here Ya' go. Quote from a RDM BLOG on sci-fi. :)

"What made you decide to show glimpses of the current episode at the end of the opening credits? Oh, and could you please stop doing that? (:"

This is a trick that "Space: 1999" used to do and I proudly stole it from them. And, no, I won't. Nice try, though.

That still doesn't answer 'why?', what's the point of showing spoilers in your own opening. I just don't see the logic and it does irritate a lot of fans (I'd bet).

Speaking of which, because the first season already aired in Britain, I keep bumping into other spoilers from interviews the Brit's have done... not to whine too much, but that sucks too. Why can't they air it world wide at the same time? Then spoilers aren't awash all over the internet. :unsure:

I think he just remembered it from when it was done on Space 1999 and liked it :unsure: I agree about the spoilers all over the place I hate it also.........sorry about earlier didn't think it was a big deal since it aired here finally....my bad :huh: . At least they won't do it for season 2....looks like the US gets it first this time with a summer premier!!!!!

Chris

Yes, the UK won't get it first for the 2nd season. The clips are interesting...and they usually are so brief anyways. Besides, it's just like the previews for the episode...you see things but most are not major spoilers(though the airlock one was the worst offender). As one of the people who hate spoilers, I thought that I would hate the clips when I first saw them at each episode, but it hasn't bothered me at all.

I just wanted to double check, now is the video game here suppose to be a prequal of the TV series out now? or is it just another add on to the old 80's series?

I don't think it is really part of either universe. I was under the impression that it was on it's own with links to both universes. But, I guess it does "lean" a little more to the new one.

Chris

I just wanted to double check, now is the video game here suppose to be a prequal of the TV series out now? or is it just another add on to the old 80's series?

Yeah it nods to both with elements of both as prequels to both...more so to the new show with most obvious being:

we created the cylons

for 40 years after the end of the game there isnothing heard from the Cylons

while throughout the game, the "old" Galactica design is used, at the end of the game, they show a transition of the old design, retrofitted into the new design

and the old....some lizard creature in charge of the cylons, Vipers can light speed/jump(well in the new show they cannot), the old King Tut Viper helmets, etc.

It's an odd hodge podge with both...you can pretend it's either...whatever floats your boat.

Edited by Gaijin

Here Ya' go. Quote from a RDM BLOG on sci-fi.  :)

That still doesn't answer 'why?', what's the point of showing spoilers in your own opening. I just don't see the logic and it does irritate a lot of fans (I'd bet).

Speaking of which, because the first season already aired in Britain, I keep bumping into other spoilers from interviews the Brit's have done... not to whine too much, but that sucks too. Why can't they air it world wide at the same time? Then spoilers aren't awash all over the internet. :unsure:

I think it amounts to a preview. Every episode they flash some previews in the begining...I would guess to hook me in. I understand your frustration, but I hate previews in general for things I really want to see. I purposely avoided previews for LOTR's and Star Wars because I want to be suprised.