PLAMAX 1/72 VF-1 Valkyrie

TMBounty_Hunter

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

Definitely a case where the decal department is separate from the box cover department. 

I’m gonna have to check my fighter kit for the movie version and see what that one says 

So, the decals and box for the 1A/S fighter have it as Ichijo. While the tv version has the decals for Ichijyo. Now I’m curious about what they’re gonna do about a Hikaru battroid for the movie 

3 hours ago, Big s said:

So, the decals and box for the 1A/S fighter have it as Ichijo. While the tv version has the decals for Ichijyo. Now I’m curious about what they’re gonna do about a Hikaru battroid for the movie 

Rick 🤣

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Build it!!

I’m gonna try and get all the parts trimmed out and do some test fitting cause I’m curious about mobility and stability. Also to see where any seams that needs work. I’m super curious about this one and want to see what it can do

1 hour ago, Big s said:

I’m gonna try and get all the parts trimmed out and do some test fitting cause I’m curious about mobility and stability. Also to see where any seams that needs work. I’m super curious about this one and want to see what it can do

Cool ! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think. I'm keeping mine in private warehouse until the Max Queed and YF-19 come in. So I won't even get mine shipped till July. 

13 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Cool ! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think. I'm keeping mine in private warehouse until the Max Queed and YF-19 come in. So I won't even get mine shipped till July. 

Lot’s of good stuff coming up. I’ll definitely share some pics. 

Is it built yet?

Is it built yet?

Is it built yet? 

😁

For me, that box cover is already worth it. That pose forever embedded in me since I watched the first episode as a kid. 

13 hours ago, Big s said:

Interested to see how it comes out. And how much motion it has. 

6 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Is it built yet?

Is it built yet?

Is it built yet? 

😁

For me, that box cover is already worth it. That pose forever embedded in me since I watched the first episode as a kid. 

Nope, sorry. Starting it tonight. Gonna start with the legs since that’s where I’m most curious about 

1 hour ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

So this is the first side-by-side with the Hasegawa that I see and the vertical chonkiness is interesting. The person is also using a old Bandai head on the PLAMAX

I'm disturbed that my first thought is "dang, I sure do like the hasegawa".

I think I like seeing more of the jet intake vents at the top of the leg (hasegawa) vs less (max factory).

7 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I think I like seeing more of the jet intake vents at the top of the leg (hasegawa) vs less (max factory).

You’ve just been programmed over the years. Normal service will resume shortly. 

10 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

So this is the first side-by-side with the Hasegawa that I see and the vertical chonkiness is interesting. The person is also using a old Bandai head on the PLAMAX

I'm actually still preferring the 'slimmer' Hasegawa version. But love what you love, right!?

2 hours ago, Thom said:

I'm actually still preferring the 'slimmer' Hasegawa version. But love what you love, right!?

It made me immediately think “TV vs. Movie.” I think DYRL’s more sophisticated animation and attention to detail made the Battroids look taller and slimmer, which is what I see in Hasegawa model. More realistic looking, if you will. The Plamax definitely has the feel of the SDFM artwork. I like them both, and I plan to add a few Plamax models to my collection, but the Hasegawa model just looks more believable to me.

Finished the legsIMG_2642.jpeg.f27d984956d508f93b0a12d5a6ef0677.jpegIMG_2643.jpeg.6c0a2fe5b0fca48b3290a8cbc6ab2545.jpegdefinitely need glue since some parts are very loose. The knees are pretty good with the poly caps, but the feet are a bit loose and may need a bit of thickening at the ball, but there’s not too much back and forth or side to side movement out of them.IMG_2644.jpeg.ac816a16b18c8762a6282370be00c7b7.jpegIMG_2645.jpeg.188fcfd3007b4e66a6c6b2e76f87c1f3.jpegIMG_2646.jpeg.6bbff1662e5be498dc9350353e9b079f.jpegThe knee gets a bit of a decent bend due to the double jointIMG_2647.jpeg.e6829c284086c59a74ccf093355b7819.jpegIMG_2648.jpeg.5a0d1e1b0163cd8f68f1985285f634ff.jpegthe only seams on the entire leg is at the top around the intakes and they’re done in a way that a lazy person could just leave them alone and it will barely be noticeable 

IMG_2650.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

On 5/18/2024 at 6:57 PM, KOG Water Dragon said:

Comparing apples with bananas here. One designed to look stylized like in the show. The other designed with plausible functionality. 🤷‍♂️

@Big s - Cheers for the HQ detailed pics. I'm so sold on these, will pick up the 1J to build during my summer. Definitely need some Regults in the same stylization to recreate some memorable scenes. Maybe some Zentradi troops too. 

It's also great to see that the seams don't need a lot of work, as from the online reviews I've seen, Max Factory was a bit behind this compared to others. 

How do the joints fair up? Is the quality of the polycaps good?

49 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Comparing apples with bananas here. One designed to look stylized like in the show. The other designed with plausible functionality. 🤷‍♂️

@Big s - Cheers for the HQ detailed pics. I'm so sold on these, will pick up the 1J to build during my summer. Definitely need some Regults in the same stylization to recreate some memorable scenes. Maybe some Zentradi troops too. 

It's also great to see that the seams don't need a lot of work, as from the online reviews I've seen, Max Factory was a bit behind this compared to others. 

How do the joints fair up? Is the quality of the polycaps good?

The polycaps are thick and durable, but a little on the loose side. The ones at the knee seem fine, but the ball joints at the feet and hips don’t hold weight very well as is. They don’t pop off or anything, just sag without much pressure. It’s not a problem that can’t be fixed. Just thicken the ball pegs with a coat of super glue and they should be fine. I haven’t built much else yet though and can’t say for sure on the arms or body yet.

As far as Regults, the hasegawa are very poseable and surprisingly look very anime compared to their Valkyrie kits. I’d say they look pretty good paired with the plamax kits. I think Hasegawa wanted something that looked like it was constructed by aliens to set them apart from earth made mecha like they’re Valkyrie offerings.

By the way Wave Destroid kits will probably look better with the Plamax kits as well 

Something I forgot to mention is that there’s a few parts that definitely need glue, there are some parts to take caution with like the white armor around the lower legs. Those panels are pretty loose and I have a feeling they’re designed to be removable for extra add ons like super parts, so those you may want to leave a little loose just in case you want to eventually add something on instead of buying an additional kit. The little circles around the ankles will probably be fine to glue in place though, those things just plop off too easily 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

So overall, it's still not quite there to a Bandai kit where it can be built straight out of the box with just a bunch of side cutters. 

It’s almost there, but some parts will pop off if not glued. But it’s only gonna take a drop here and there and the ball joints will need thickening to really give it strength, but that just takes a little super glue over the ball peg and it should be fine with minimal effort.

one thing that is easier is that the plastic is a bit softer than the Bandai kits and is far easier to clean it the nubs

Edited by Big s

Haven’t had the opportunity to go through the parts as much as I’d like to, but two things have caught my attention. 
1. there doesn’t appear to be the clip to attach the gun pod to the right forearm that is shown in the D battroid model.
2. there’s no parts for the head forward/seat up that the D is displayed with, or is shown in the show w/the GPB1 configuration. Not unexpected, but still a bit of a bummer. 

8gPUBqn.png

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GMK said:

Haven’t had the opportunity to go through the parts as much as I’d like to, but two things have caught my attention. 
1. there doesn’t appear to be the clip to attach the gun pod to the right forearm that is shown in the D battroid model.
2. there’s no parts for the head forward/seat up that the D is displayed with, or is shown in the show w/the GPB1 configuration. Not unexpected, but still a bit of a bummer. 

8gPUBqn.png

The clip is a part that needs a hole drilled into the side of the arm, but is included with the d type. The head forward parts are not included, but might be able to be swapped in for this and modded for a single seat. They were kind of later developed parts and might be something that they include on future releases.

Edited by Big s

2 hours ago, Big s said:

The clip is a part that needs a hole drilled into the side of the arm, but is included with the d type. The head forward parts are not included, but might be able to be swapped in for this and modded for a single seat. They were kind of later developed parts and might be something that they include on future releases.

They'll most likely add it to the eventual Armour version...