Arch Enemy RX-78 is out

Nice. Any pics of the Gelgoog anywhere?

Already have a MG Gundam 1.5, but a good Gelgoog I might be game for.

I had been told by someone at Bandai a few months back that the RX-78 and Char's Gelgoog wouldn't be hitting stores until April or so. It was just two weeks ago I saw that Target was carrying the Arch Enemy Wing Custom and Tallgeese III. Hopefully this is true. B))

I saw 4 of the AE RX-78's on the shelves at the local target last wednesday. (Waldorf, in southern Maryland) Looked nice. Old school styling. Nothing to get too excited about. I think they had just put them out when I got there, as they were moving quite a few boxes through the isles. No sign of the Gelgoog though....

Last picture.

I picked one up just an hour ago. Of all 4 they had on the shelf of Target, 3 had messy paintjob for the eyes and none of them had a perfectly symmetrical V-fin. The quality is about as shoddy as the 4.5" U.S. Gundam figures, and nowhere as good as the first 2 Arch Enemy releases (Wing Zero Custom and Tallgeese III).

The proportions are rather blocky and the arms shorter and thicker than the MG version. The biggest surprise/bonus is that it comes with a transforming Core Fighter. There are some parts that require assembly.

Edit in:

No sign of Char's Gelgoog, either it's a one-per-case rarity or it hasn't been released yet. I noticed there were at least 3 Wing Zero Customs for each Tallgeese III at Target, damn Bandai for stuffing more Gundams than non-Gundams in an assortment case.

post-26-1074399678_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Last picture.

I picked one up just an hour ago. Of all 4 they had on the shelf of Target, 3 had messy paintjob for the eyes and none of them had a perfectly symmetrical V-fin. The quality is about as shoddy as the 4.5" U.S. Gundam figures, and nowhere as good as the first 2 Arch Enemy releases (Wing Zero Custom and Tallgeese III).

The proportions are rather blocky and the arms shorter and thicker than the MG version. The biggest surprise/bonus is that it comes with a transforming Core Fighter. There are some parts that require assembly.

Edit in:

No sign of Char's Gelgoog, either it's a one-per-case rarity or it hasn't been released yet. I noticed there were at least 3 Wing Zero Customs for each Tallgeese III at Target, damn Bandai for stuffing more Gundams than non-Gundams in an assortment case.

I was hoping that would not happen.

When you mentioned the price was $19.99 I was shocked.

The fist series were $25-$29 at every store I saw them in. I was hoping that the lower price point on these did not come at the expense of quality.

What about the materials? Is it the same heavy pvc they used in the first series?

I picked one up yesterday at Target, and I have to say its MUCH better than the Wing Zero Custom, much more plastic and less of the rubbery stuff. The best feature is the core fighter which you have to build, but with around a dozen parts, but most importantly, nothing has to come off for it to transform! The articulation is amazing, it can actually bend forward from the hips, the knees are very nice, backpack cover comes off to show details, same with legs. Neck has 2 points of so it can look upwards. Overall my favorite RX-78 figure, its very posable and holds a pose well, much better than the MSIA figure... comes with 2 shields, one with a place to hold the beamsaber. its got a great clip to hold the hyperbazooka. The drawbacks are: some pieces do fall off, beam sabers being the worst, ankle guards, rocket nozzels on backpack. It comes with about 4 pairs of first, which are difficult to get around handles, and none of them can firmly hold a beam saber. But all in all I like this better than my MG 1.5, and I am a fan of the oldschool style design. All in all worth $20! Cant wait to see the gelgoog!

I visited 2 Targets last night and only 1 had them in stock.

While the first 2 AEs (W0C and Tallgeese 3) were $29.99 at TRU, when I saw them at Target recently they were $19.99 each. Either TRU was overcharging on those about a year ago or Bandai/Target decided to price them down.

I haven't taken any of the AEs out of the box yet so I don't know about the change in materials, but the first 2 AEs looked like prepainted, pre-assembled 1/100 HG models while the RX-78 looked like a scaled up 4.5" figure, complete with crooked V-fins and uneven paintjob on the vital areas such as eyes. They even used soft rubbery instead of hard plastic for the beam rifle which comes bent/deformed due to the way it was taped to the tray.

Overall, I'd say the first 2 AEs were great deals for $19.99 while the RX-78 was... you get what you pay for.

I finally got my hands on three of these guys this evening. :D

Some of the ones I saw had their "V" antennas slightly warped, but most of them were fairly straight (I went to two different Targets).

It's great that Bandai gave THE original RX-78-2 the Arch Enemy treatment. I know that Char's Gelgoog is next, but I do hope that a Zaku II gets this treatment someday. B))