Vf 31 j bubbles

Methrash

Damn, that sucks! Makes me scared to open mine.

On the other hand, I opened my 31F...it's fantastic! One of the shoulder joints is super tight on that double hinge but other than that, it's all good! Really impressed with the overal build and transformation smoothness. Definitely a top Valk design.

3 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Have never seen that before on any of my releases.

You said that you removed the protective film a few months ago, and these just recently appeared?

-b.

No, they appeared when I removed the protectors, but I thought they would disappear with time

I've seen that before on my dx but forgot which one. Some times the protective film leaves some residue after peeling.

But its never much of a problem. Try wiping with a hot/Warm towel with a dab of handsoap or dish washing liquid. Warmth and detergent works wonders to de-grease sticky residue. Sometimes i do that with gunpla sprues freshky opened to get rid of injection molding residue.

Would warn you tho to be careful near the tail, as i see you have an aether decal there, you dont want to overly rub on it.

10 minutes ago, Methrash said:

No, they appeared when I removed the protectors, but I thought they would disappear with time

Ah, sorry man. Hopefully the suggestions offered will help.

1 minute ago, seti88 said:

I've seen that before on my dx but forgot which one. Some times the protective film leaves some residue after peeling.

But its never much of a problem. Try wiping with a hot/Warm towel with a dab of handsoap or dish washing liquid. Warmth and detergent works wonders to de-grease sticky residue. Sometimes i do that with gunpla sprues freshky opened to get rid of injection molding residue.

Would warn you tho to be careful near the tail, as i see you have an aether decal there, you dont want to overly rub on it.

This.

Good luck!

-b.

4 hours ago, seti88 said:

I tried the hot water and handsoap. Didn't work :(

Wow, that's crazy!

The problem here is that everything that isn't white is paint.  And from experience in intentionally stripping some of my Bandai valks, it's stuff that will dissolve with alcohol and/or ammonia based cleaners (like windex).  Those also work well in getting rid of leftover adhesive.

Can you see any bubbles on the white (unpainted) parts? If you're wanting to experiment a bit, you could try a cotton swab dipped in windex to see if that removes it on the plastic.  If that works, you may be able to dilute the windex with water and very lightly rub the affected, painted areas to see if it'll come off.

Be careful though, the paint is usually pretty thick on these toys but it's not consistent.  Removing a layer may not be a problem but you don't want to go too deep. And definitely be cautious around the tampo markings, as they're a lot thinner and also paint (not decals).

3 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Wow, that's crazy!

The problem here is that everything that isn't white is paint.  And from experience in intentionally stripping some of my Bandai valks, it's stuff that will dissolve with alcohol and/or ammonia based cleaners (like windex).  Those also work well in getting rid of leftover adhesive.

Can you see any bubbles on the white (unpainted) parts? If you're wanting to experiment a bit, you could try a cotton swab dipped in windex to see if that removes it on the plastic.  If that works, you may be able to dilute the windex with water and very lightly rub the affected, painted areas to see if it'll come off.

Be careful though, the paint is usually pretty thick on these toys but it's not consistent.  Removing a layer may not be a problem but you don't want to go too deep. And definitely be cautious around the tampo markings, as they're a lot thinner and also paint (not decals).

Hi, no bubbles on the white. Only in the grey and blue parts. 

4 hours ago, Methrash said:

I tried the hot water and handsoap. Didn't work :(

Did you gently clean it repeatedly over time? 

If your marks seem quite stubborn maybe you might want to try stuff with microbeads like toothpaste or even facial wash. 

Toothpaste esp is used to polish plane canopies to make them clear. Gotta be gentle here tho cos u don't want to over rub and create a bald spot.

Hope it helps somewhat..

P/s I would watch if cleaning it discolours the paint so my advise is if it doesn't come off just let it be. else you may have cleaned the spot but end up with a overly polished area compared to the rest...

Edited by seti88

Ditto with Seti.  The fact that it's only on the painted surfaces suggests the adhesive reacted with the paint and that it's not actually left behind as much as it's "etched" the painted on parts.  The toothpaste polish method is probably the safest way to try to deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...