The next alternator, mazda rx-8

Mr.Sci-Fi

Very cool, now do you guys remember the name of the transfomer that turned into a ford race car? you know he had Martini written on him.

I wanna see a Focus Rally transformer! and Bumblebee as the new bug.

Only other racers I remember are Jazz, Wheeljack, and Mirage. Mirage was an F-1 racer and Jazz I think was a porsche rally car. Might be Wheeljack, but I'm not sure.

Very cool, now do you guys remember the name of the transfomer that turned into a ford race car? you know he had Martini written on him.

I wanna see a Focus Rally transformer! and Bumblebee as the new bug.

Jazz had Martinii on him but he's a Porsche 935 turbo. ;)

I'm hoping for Cliffjumper. All the mini-autobots got screwed by having crappy little toys, yet they managed to pull down a lot of screen time in the cartoon. So it'd be nice to see him, Brawn and (God I can't believe I'm saying this) Bumblebee get decent Alternator configurations. I'd love to see Jazz, but not like this... he should be a Porsche, just as Sideswipe should have been a Lam -> a fact all the more driven home in Japan where his name is Lambor.

In a side note I was sad to read a while back in the interview with the Japanese lead designer that many car companies had turned them down (especially when he mentioned Europe). I bet Volkswagen was the one he was thinking of.

Edited by LePoseur

on the TF2005 boards they are suggesting he might be Overdrive

but if its gotta be red it'll probably be cliffjumper. If they can talk Mazda into a white one it'll be Jazz

OMG, I had him.

Chalk another MIA transformer to my list..

we really need to see some decepticons in this line ... this is starting to get ridiculous ... I think auto makers just don't want to licence their cars to evil groups, that's just bad marketing :)

Yeah since they already have a Subaru WRX on the Autobots, they should make a Land EVO8 for the Decepticons. wouldn't that be just right? :D

I wonder if Caterpillar would liscense some stuff so we could have Constucticons. Hell, I could deal with Samsung construction stuff if need be.

Nice!. Only concern is they seem to be using a pretty standard transformation template for most of the alternators. Now thats not to say that previous transforming robot lines, including macross and transformers are not guilty of the same crime, but I just hope we see more variety.

Exactly! I'm so happy that we're getting a Mazda Binaltech but they should try and MOD the transformation template a bit. How many of the Binaltech's already have the head stored under the hood. :blink:

Amazing, awesome :o I really gonna burn all my bucks ( oops Euros ) on the Master Piece and Binaltech line :lol:

Hey, Yellowlightman, do you have a rotary? I'm just wondering, you seem to be a fan of the engine. For that matter, so am I. I seriously considered an FC3s, but decided that there was just too much uncertianty in buying a 15 year old car with no knowledge of whether the rotary was properly treated.

Yeah, I've got an 1986 RX-7 Sport. If you wanna talk about buying advice you can PM me, they can be a bit daunting to buy at first but there aren't many cars with the looks and handling for the price. Turbos are overrated and have way more crap to deal with.

I agree with F360 that a LanEVo would be cool, but seeing as how miserably Mitsubishi is doing in the WRC (they took a break this year since in 2002 they did horribly) I dunno if thats a possibility. I'd say a Peugeot or Citreon might be cool (a hatch might offer soem different transforming possibilities) but those companies are virtually unknown outside of Europe.

Nice, another BT to add to my list. It's really nice to see that Mazda themselves are showing off their collabo with Hasbro(+Takara). I just wonder why RX-7 fans like the RX-8, the 8's characteristics are not what the 7's were known for. The RX-7, and the Miata, both have the ability to rotate and still be corrected with ease. Making them true sports cars. If the RX-8 sells well Mazda will release a new RX-7, and the differences will be obvious. Don't think that I'm a RX hater, I used to drive a 83 RX-7 and currently drive a Miata. But I really don't dig four door sports cars. It seems like Mazda actually wants to have its cars associated with Transformers so I'm wishing for a Miata next. I think that would make a good alt mode for Bumblebee since VW doesn't want anything to do with Transformers.

In a side note I was sad to read a while back in the interview with the Japanese lead designer that many car companies had turned them down (especially when he mentioned Europe). I bet Volkswagen was the one he was thinking of.

That's lame usually car companies are always jumping at promotions, maybe they feared being turned into a decepticon.

Nice, another BT to add to my list. It's really nice to see that Mazda themselves are showing off their collabo with Hasbro(+Takara). I just wonder why RX-7 fans like the RX-8, the 8's characteristics are not what the 7's were known for. The RX-7, and the Miata, both have the ability to rotate and still be corrected with ease. Making them true sports cars. If the RX-8 sells well Mazda will release a new RX-7, and the differences will be obvious.

I think you misunderstand the RX-8's purpose. The RX-8 is not a replacement for the RX-7, it's not supposed to compete with or replace the 7, it's an entirely new car with it's own reasonings behind it. Remember that before the RX-7 was every released they had the RX-100, the RX-2, the RX-3 and so on. RX doesn't automatically say it's a full-on sports car, it only means it's a rotary car.

The RX-7 was best known for it's rotary engine and it's handling. While no slouch, until the Turbo IIs in 1987 (but really not until the third generation twin turbos in 93) the RX-7 wasn't considered a powerful car. The RX-7 only entered into near-supercar status in 1993, and until then it was just a little car that handled well and could beat the pants off more expensive cars with more horsepower on the track and in the corners.

The RX-8 handles really well. It's not designed for straight line speed (but then again never was the RX-7... not even the third generation twin turbo). The RX-7 is a sports car, not a muscle car. That means it's designed to handle. The RX-8 is probably the best handling car in the sub $30k range, and in that respect lives up to the RX-7's heritage.

The 4-door issue drives home how the RX-8 isn't supposed to be considered a replacement for the RX-7. It's a cross over sports coupe, for people that want something with the looks and handling of a coupe but the practicality of a sedan. Hell, my RX-7 had four seats originally (I've since taken them out), does that make it less of a sports car? Hell no.

Most people look unfavorably on the RX-8 because they compare it to the RX-7, especially the third generation. You need to realize the RX-8 isn't a RX-7 replacement, it's just another RX model that happens to handle really well and still be practical. It's designed for a different crowd than the RX-7, and should be treated as such. RX-7 owners like it because it's new (less crap to break), because it's pracitical enough to use as a daily driver (something the RX-7 isn't so good at if you have kids), because the engine is more fuel efficient than the old 13b, and because it's a new RX car.

That's lame usually car companies are always jumping at promotions, maybe they feared being turned into a decepticon.

Here's a repost of that part of the ToyBoxEX interview from MW's own 20th Anni Prime thread.

Kobayashi: Unfortunately, it's never that easy... (wry smile) First, we hit a difficult wall trying to obtain licensing. Originally we started development with a certain well-known German sports car, and even Hasbro said "This is amazing!" and we smoothly progressed to the second prototype stage, but that automobile company simply refused to consent to the licensing of the vehicle. We had no choice but to scrap that and start with a certain well-known American sports car, but we couldn't get the OK for that, either. Most car companies came back to us and said "having these car panels that separate apart conveys an image of being broken, and it seems inauspicious." (wry smile) But, among the different places we went to, it was Subaru and Dodge that gave us positive feedback and said "It's a fun toy with a lot of imagination!".

here's a cut and paste link to the whole thing too.

(http://www.toyboxex.com/phorum/read.php?f=3&i=178&t=178)

Need I say though that the above excuses are incredibly LAME. Any company that said no is missing an awesome chance for exposure to a specific market and the chance to turn many people (adult fans and kids alike) into potential customers (sure maybe not the same model, but at least the brand).

As for Decepticons, with all the problems the flight simulator industry has had with using fighter designs - be they even largely or totally governmentally subsidized - I can't see any company letting it's design be used to become an enemy fighter. Of course, they could, and really just should, create highly detailed fantasy versions heavily based off real designs rather than not having any Decepticons at all.

Need I say though that the above excuses are incredibly LAME. Any company that said no is missing an awesome chance for exposure to a specific market and the chance to turn many people (adult fans and kids alike) into potential customers (sure maybe not the same model, but at least the brand).

Reminds me of most car companies' refusal to let they're cars show any damage in video games. It creates a "negative image" for people to see their cars getting beat up, or so they say. God forbid that it happens in... real life.

"Originally we started development with a certain well-known German sports car, and even Hasbro said "This is amazing!" and we smoothly progressed to the second prototype stage..."

Dangnabbit, I want to see that! If they made it to the second prototype stage they were pretty far along indeed. I hope some pics of that TF that was not meant to be surface someday. :(

I can't see any company letting it's design be used to become an enemy fighter.

They should ask MIG for 3 reasons. one; everyone thinks of them as enemy fighters anyway, Two; they need the money and Three wouldnt StarScream look cool as a MiIG 29!?!

Hybridchild

BEST suggestion I've seen yet. MiG and even Sukhoi, perhaps? That would be so cool!

This alternator line is getting interesting. I don't like the RX8 but the transformation looks cool and I like the idea of using real cars for transformers. If they keep up this trend and cover a wide array of cars, that will be awesome. Now, all is needed is real jets for the bad guys and that series will be the best ever.

I thought the deal was that it was a car-only line, no jets, no radios, nothing but cars ...

Although MiG-29 starscream would kick ass

That is true but with the sucess of the line they very well can adapt to the demand.

I bet these car companies that refused a toy will come grovaling back on their knee's asking for one. Hasbro should revisit them and jab them with the fact that their competitor has an awesome toy and will get a lot of publicity with it.

Edited by Mr.Sci-Fi

Nice, another BT to add to my list. It's really nice to see that Mazda themselves are showing off their collabo with Hasbro(+Takara). I just wonder why RX-7 fans like the RX-8, the 8's characteristics are not what the 7's were known for. The RX-7, and the Miata, both have the ability to rotate and still be corrected with ease. Making them true sports cars. If the RX-8 sells well Mazda will release a new RX-7, and the differences will be obvious. Don't think that I'm a RX hater, I used to drive a 83 RX-7 and currently drive a Miata. But I really don't dig four door sports cars. It seems like Mazda actually wants to have its cars associated with Transformers so I'm wishing for a Miata next. I think that would make a good alt mode for Bumblebee since VW doesn't want anything to do with Transformers.

So Quinn what do you think of the MAzdaspeed MX-5? I kinda like it. I went to the LA Auto show and I am so pissed!!! I saw a JDM full hard top coupe, not the hard shell for the convertables. it is a full time hard top. Now why didnt Mazda take that body and chassis for their MX5 turbo? that would kick so much ass!!!!

Edited by Solscud007

They should ask MIG for 3 reasons. one; everyone thinks of them as enemy fighters anyway, Two; they need the money and Three wouldnt StarScream look cool as a MiIG 29!?!

Hybridchild

BEST suggestion I've seen yet. MiG and even Sukhoi, perhaps? That would be so cool!

Everyone thinks Starscream should be a mig ;) Personally I'd like to see some one make a really good transformer based on an A-10, or perhaps even an Blackbird.

Although BT is supposed to be a car only line, that does not leave out the posibility that they may make a whole new brandname line for military vehicles.

Hybridchild

Everyone thinks Starscream should be a mig ;) Personally I'd like to see some one make a really good transformer based on an A-10, or perhaps even an Blackbird.

Although BT is supposed to be a car only line, that does not leave out the posibility that they may make a whole new brandname line for military vehicles.

OK all this talk about Starscream ! then what about Jetfire or Thundercracker, it would be nice to have more jet fighter variations like the alternator cars.

Despite already having the kickass MP Convoy, I'd still like to see an Alternator Prime as well.  I wonder if they have plans for optimus in this line?  Probably not, but who knows?

I hope they do, mpop is great but he has nowhere next the detail as an alternator does.

Depends on which mode your referring to. In Truck mode,yeah the prime is lacking a little in detail. However in bot mode he rivals many SOC's.

Cool! Especially to see the animation, that really makes it! :)

On another note, even though this is probably waaay early to say and we're just looking at a computer model, I wish it had the interior detail that Smokescreen had. It seems lacking in the RX-8. You know, the detailed dash, the seats.

It doesn't seem like there'd be any reason to not be able to pull it off on the RX-8 as well.

Hopefully they do it for the final production toy. :)

Hybridchild

An A-10 would be cool but the body might be too thin, as for the Blacck bird it would just look like a VF-4

Hybridchild