Am I missing out???

MotleyBoa

I just need to know if I'm really missing out by not getting any of the 1/48's. My problem is, I have more than one hobby, and Yamoto pumps all this stuff out so darn fast!!! It just seems to get so expensive! When they first started with the Macross plus valks, I was buying 6 of each. That stopped REAL fast. Then I was getting 2 of each with the VF-1's came out...after that...I was like...forget this, I'll get one of each, and just not open it. Now, I still get 1 of each, but I even WAIT long till thier prices go down on eBay...cause they usually do!

I'm still missing some stuff like the VE-1 and the VT-1 as far as the 1/60's go, but there's all the 1/48 stuff out there now, and I GOTTA know....should I be making the effort to get them! Forget about the fact that I don't open them, I'm just figuring my collection is incomplete without them!

Now I see this Q-Rau...omg...I need that too!

Man, I gotta get a move on and sell more snakes! :-P

Thanks!

-Alex

Get just one. Consider it the centerpiece/masterpiece of your collection. I too have all the 1/60's except the VE & VT and I just bought a 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S. But I only plan on buying one more 1/48 (a low viz if I can get ahold of one at a decent price). Also, it sounds like you have MISB-syndrome. I have it too, all my 1/60's are still MISB except for the ones I have duplicates of. The 1/48's do not come sealed from the factory so you can never have a MISB 1/48 anyway....so I went ahead and opened mine.

I would suggest that you buy one 1/48 and decide for yourself because, personally, I think you're missing out. You might become addicted though, so you may also be missing out on a lot of frivilous spending. ;) I'd say pick your favorite Valk, and get two of those (one in box and one to open) or maybe two different paint schemes of your favorite version (e.g. VF-1S Roy and VF-1S Hikaru) and open one. If you get one though, you'll soon be in danger of caving and buying all of them.

Edited by Draykov

Man, you're definitely missing out. I also happen to have all the 1/60s, and now I've got all the 1/48's except for the vf-1a hikaru and the max. I'm getting all the 1/48's for battroid display, and the 1/60's for fighter/gerwalk display. Whew..... gets expensive though, since I also have a die-cast fetish like the Bandai SOC line, and other die-cast goodies. Of course if I keep this up, I'll never be able to buy a house to put these toys in. :ph34r:

Man, you're definitely missing out. I also happen to have all the 1/60s, and now I've got all the 1/48's except for the vf-1a hikaru and the max. I'm getting all the 1/48's for battroid display, and the 1/60's for fighter/gerwalk display. Whew..... gets expensive though, since I also have a die-cast fetish like the Bandai SOC line, and other die-cast goodies. Of course if I keep this up, I'll never be able to buy a house to put these toys in. :ph34r:

you can always build a house with all those empty boxes of toys!

but yah, this hobby gets expensive...especially if you like to have a life too. I could only afford to do one or the other...but I've been choosing a life more lately...so not too many new toys to show off. :(

definitely get at least one 1/48 with strike armor. even if you spend $200...you won't regret it if you're a toy fan.

Are you missing out? Most definitely! As soon as I saw the 1/48s come out, I was collecting the 1/60. For a price on the 1/48, I was like no way. But I was debating to get it or continue with the 1/60. Took a good 3 months for this debate partially b/c I didnt have time due to my 6 softball teams I was on and a deadline at work for the summer. I decided to get the low vis and I havent been the same since. :lol:

Like others with a tight budget, I had to pick and choose one that I wanted (and I was glad I did.... really small haul for christmas this year) and get it myself. Although it is tempting to go back and buy the others, this one shall serve as the centerpiece of my collection for now. Maybe at some point in the future I will get another, but I'm getting fast pack armor before that.

You're definately missing out! Pick one up!

For Example: You *KNOW* these are hot items when people don't want to part with their damaged ones! I was willing (and advertised) for AGES that I would buy anyone's damaged 1/48 if there was something they didn't like about it...... few people were willing to do it and those that offered wanted near-brand new prices on them. Should give you some idea!

Edited by Skull Leader

IMO if youa re not going to open a toy you shouldn't buy it. You can only really appreciate the 1/488 when it is open and transformed back and forth in all it's glory.

Are you missing out? If you aren't opening and enjoying your toys then absolutely.

Amen, brother, amen!

If you are a MISB freak (sorry for that expression), you should buy two 1/48's: one to open and one to play with. You won't get the best out of the 1/48's until you open them, that's for sure. Inside the box, they won't look much better than the 1/60's, because you will never get a chance to appreciate the immense detail that went into this toy. You just HAVE TO transform this babe! It's great!

And then you may still buy another to keep MISB (or rather MIB, as these are not sealed).

Be cautious about the "Backpack Hinge", and you will have lots of fun with these toys! Really, I've transformed mine as often as like 50 time till now, and I don't have any stress marks. Just treat them with some care, and they will reward you for it.

Just my two cents, of course.

-- Pointer

You're missing out.

There, now that I've said it, you must accept it and move forward with life.

I'd reccommend checking ebay and the Macrossworld For Sale section for a good deal. Somebody snagged a VF-1S for 99 shipped today.

But you definitely NEED at least one 1/48. It's totally worth it. Oh yeah, and you also NEED at least one set of FAST packs. Because they rock. Completely. Now go breed snakes or knock off a few 7/11's or whatever you need to do.

Same situation here...

I have ALL the 1/72's, 1/60's but no 1/48's.

I KNOW I'll prolly buy the whole 1/48 line if I get one so I probably have to restrain myself.

however I was thinking about getting a LOW vis as my Center piece since there isn't a 1/60 version but when I finally got interested enough to get one it turned out to be way too expensive. ack...

I know what youre going through dude~ Personally I'm itching like CRAZY to get one.

Anyway if you're crazy about completing collections like I am, don't.

If you can control it and stick with just one, treat yourself...

Q: Have you had the opportunity to handle and check out the 1/48 for yourself? It matters!

Q: Do you really like the overall proportions of the 1/48 better than the other versions available out there?

Q: Can you live with the potential pitfalls of certain parts going loose or cracking on a $120+ toy?

A: Yes/Yes/Yes? Go for it! :-)

It was Yes/No/No for me, so I decided to forego the whole shebang. The 1/60s still look the best to me, especially the VF-1Js.

Q: Have you had the opportunity to handle and check out the 1/48 for yourself? It matters!

Q: Do you really like the overall proportions of the 1/48 better than the other versions available out there?

Q: Can you live with the potential pitfalls of certain parts going loose or cracking on a $120+ toy?

It was no,no,no for me not too long ago.

But when I got to see it with my own eyes... It changed to: yes,yes,no.

Regarding Q#3: I'd be upset even with 1/60's cracking and loosening up.

As for the overall proportions:

I love how the nose of the 1/48 fighter mode is a bit beefier rather than the narrow rendition of the 1/60.

And in battroid mode, the kneecap area (kneeguards) are much more accurate than the no kneeguards of the 1/60. I dunno... Gosh... here I go again.... convincing myself to get one...

In times like this I recite my mantras:

"2X More expensive, but not 2X better."

"$170 with fastpacks? Good Lord that's a lot of money!"

"Not enough closet space, Not enough $$"

Gad, I think I should start a "You can live without 1/48" support group.

Definitely get at least 1 of these... years from now, you'll only regret it.

I got the hikaru 1a when it first came out.. I haven't had any breakages, leakages or yellowing or any of the myriad problems people complain about... I transform it at least once a week... as long as you're careful and respectful of the thing it will do just fine.

And definitely get the fast pack for this thing... the fast packs are a thing of beauty. You won't be sorry.

Well, maybe you'll be sorry because you'll want to get another one... and then another one... sigh.

I'd advise you to buy at least one 1/48. I don't think you will regret it.

I'd recommend starting with either the Hikaru VF-1J Super or the Hikaru VF-1S and a FAST Pack set.

Graham

Why recommend the hikaru VF-1S? I chose the low viz cuz that's the one that is completely different from all others. I've already got the fast pack and am just waiting on monkey nugget for my low viz. Do you have any idea if they will make the ostrich and elint in 1/48?

BTW, alex is no stranger to macrossworld, macross or collecting.

Edited by phatslappy

I'd advise you to buy at least one 1/48. I don't think you will regret it.

I'd recommend starting with either the Hikaru VF-1J Super or the Hikaru VF-1S and a FAST Pack set.

Graham

This is what I did. Figured with a 1J and a seperate fast pack set, you get it all... everything, you get:

The 1/48

Extra hands AND orginal hands

Strike Set

Super Set

With the 1J super set.. no strike cannon... weak....

Now if only they had swappable heads, you'd own all the VF-1's

:Dat

Man, I forgot how awesome everyone is on these forums. It's been so long since I posted.

Everyone says the SAME thing...not one said...eh, you can pass.

GREAT!!!! Now I gotta get them all!!! I can not get just one!!! What kind of a macross fan would I be?!?!

Now I just gotta figure out what I'm missing. I don't even know all the ones out. A little research I'm sure will tell me.

I'm thinking I should go ahead and get the low vis first since they might be gone soon?

To address the MISB thing. Ya, I do like MISB stuff, but I've always managed to get doubles cause I know they need to be opened to appreciate them. I currently have 5 1/60's on display, and 1 of each sealed. I also *HAD* 2 of every origianl Bandai and 2 of every original Takatoku...but I decided to sell a set to pay for a snake :-P

(If you havn't figured it out, I have a snake business...I breed rare and expensive snakes)

So anyways...

Ok...I'll make an effort to get what I'm missing now.

I'm sure my tab will be around $1K!!!! :o

But as you guys said...Treat myself.

I do buy killer snakes for a ton of doe, but I consider them part of my business and an investment. Valks are the only thing I buy that is just for fun and for the love of the hobby.

Thanks to all for the help. I REALLY appreciate it!

I'll make an effort to post more on this forum!

phatslappy - you're the man. Long time bro! :-D

To address the MISB thing. Ya, I do like MISB stuff, but I've always managed to get doubles cause I know they need to be opened to appreciate them. I currently have 5 1/60's on display, and 1 of each sealed. I also *HAD* 2 of every origianl Bandai and 2 of every original Takatoku...but I decided to sell a set to pay for a snake :-P

(If you havn't figured it out, I have a snake business...I breed rare and expensive snakes)

So anyways...

Ok...I'll make an effort to get what I'm missing now.

I'm sure my tab will be around $1K!!!! :o

But as you guys said...Treat myself.

Why do I get the feeling we just gave this guy his first crackpipe?

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about being the ultimate collector. Just pick one of them out and buy one, open it, and see what you think. I'd pick the one you like best, don't worry about collector value... if you don't dig it, then sell it on the forums and go back to your reptile friends and buy them some new rats or something.

Either way, enjoy yourself and try to not to go bankrupt!

Now go to the TF forums and ask them if you should get the MPC Prime!!!

:p

:lol:;)

Nice one mate :D

I personally think the 1/48s are the ultimate VF-1 toys and as such there isn´t a need to get every single one since they based on the same design , unless you don´t have decided on what´s you favourite VF-1 variant. I personally love the 1J , but as I already have the 1/60 version (soon to recieve a GBP B)) ) I don´t feel the need to get another 1J toy , I hate having several versions of the same thing , it takes away its uniqueness , this is why I prefer having something else , perhaps more original like the Hikaru 1S which I don´t own yet or maybe doing my own customs like a Roy 1A.

I wouldn´t recommend the 1/48s as a fulltime hobby since they take much of your budget and room space , I guess I´m immune to valkholism since I don´t feel the need to get every 1/48 , of course if you have no problems at all then you should get them all ;)

why do I get the feeling we just gave this guy his first crackpipe?

Twice as sweet a sugar

twice as pure as salt

and if you get hooked baby

It's nobody elses fault

so don't do it

Atheletes rejected

govenors corrected

gangsters thugs and smugglers

Are thoroughly respected

the money gets divided

the women get excited

Now I'm broke and it's no joke it's hard as hell to fight it don't buy it

:ph34r:

Edited by >EXO<

Why do I get the feeling we just gave this guy his first crackpipe?

LOL. NAh, no worries. I don't have an addictive personallity. :p

I've been like this for um....about 8 years now with Macross toys. Just in the past few years I do more lingering than anything else because I'm so busy with other things. By "being like this", I mean I like to have one of each. heh

I know what you guys mean about having so many Vf-a's and J's. They do all start to kinda be the same, but they're still a little different :-P I felt that way with the 1/60's. At least with the ones I have open. I should sell some of them, and get dup Ostrich and Elint since they're so different.

I was super lucky today to get a couple inquiries on some baby snakes I still have from 2003, so if they buy, I'll treat my self. :lol:

Hey...what the hell! Maybe you guys want one!!! :D

Macross Bad...mm,k :p