Firefly

JELEINEN

I got my Firefly DVD collection last week and man am I lovin' it. Not only did the series have a lot of potential, but the fourteen episodes that we got were well made and a lot of fun to watch. It's too bad Fox just screwed the show over every which way. Anyone familiar with the history of SF probably sees the irony in them not thinking a western in space could be mainstream enough. I really hope the rumored movie becomes a reality.

The series gets a lot of love on some of the gaming boards I frequent. Anyone else in these parts a fan of it?

I downloaded and watched all the eps after a friend suggested it, and I am mad at myself for missing it while it was on the air. I am looking forward to getting my dvd set too - now, instead of that craptacular Tremors series Sci-Fi is running, why couldn't they have picked this series up. Such potential wasted...

Hehe, I LOVED this show (hence the avatar) even got Dad into it (he used to avoid Buffy/Angel like the plague, but has since enjoyed those as well) It was something truly different, and like all Fox sci-fi shows, got killed before it was even aired what with all the changes to episode order and the Fri timeslot of death, but we Browncoats can watch the dvds and look forward to a movie hopefully in the not-too distant future "You can't take the sky from (us)" :D

That show was cooool! The episodes I saw, I loved.

Networks drop shows all too quickly. These shows spring to mind ...

Family Guy

Futurama

Invader Zim

etc...

its probably because they are too afraid to try anything remotely new. if it isn't a Friends/Sienfeld clone, or a Dawsons creek teen drama, most won't touch it. the bastards. <_<

Firefly was cool, along with John Doe. Its completly beyond me how a show like Fastlane could outlive those 2. <_<

You seem to forget the kind of crowd Fox draws. <_<

Vostok 7

American Idol, The Simple Life, Joe Millionare, anyone??

Fox seems to love going after the lowest denominator in searching out sources for entertainment.

Fox seems to love going after the lowest denominator in searching out sources for entertainment.

Lowest Common Denominator = $$$

And every station does it for the most part...

I mean I watched a show on the Discovery Channel called "BIG THINGS" etc...

Plus they have all those stupid ass reality shows... like people redecorating their damn house or getting married...

*yawn*

Hell, even Anime is getting more commercial. Sucks, but its part of living in today's world.

Plus they have all those stupid ass reality shows... like people redecorating their damn house or getting married...

*yawn*

Hell, even Anime is getting more commercial. Sucks, but its part of living in today's world.

agreed....speaking of which, did you ever finish the Dune books?

Great show... I was supremely pissed when Fox yanked it. Losing it and Farscape have pretty much caused me to swear off of anything that's not a cartoon or a documentary. And ended my history with network television... and Scifi Channel, for that matter....

*yawn*

agreed....speaking of which, did you ever finish the Dune books?

I'm on Heretics of Dune now. MAN God Emperor was everything that I had hoped it would be. I'm trying to pace myself with the last 2 books though in anticipation of Dune 7 in 2005.

Great books though, Herbert's style totally grabs me.

As for Firefly, I remember hearing rumors that the ship looked like a horse... but I didn't see the resemblance. Anyone else care to take a stab at that rumor?

As for Firefly, I remember hearing rumors that the ship looked like a horse... but I didn't see the resemblance. Anyone else care to take a stab at that rumor?

According to the bonus material on the DVD set, the front part was meant to be somewhat bird-like, while the body was designed to be bug-like.

I'm on Heretics of Dune now. MAN God Emperor was everything that I had hoped it would be. I'm trying to pace myself with the last 2 books though in anticipation of Dune 7 in 2005.

Great books though, Herbert's style totally grabs me.

Awesome. glad you're liking them!! Heretics and Chapterhouse are great, and they won't disappoint! i hope that 7 won't either.....i hear they're using Frank's original notes for the basic layout, so it should be great!!

Joss is and has been trying to get it to the theaters. Universal purchased the rights from Fox, so it will most likely be under them. All the cast members have agreed to do it if it gets the final green light. Joss has already wrote a script. Chances are good that we'll see it on the big screen.

While some are skeptical that a cancelled TV show could turn into a great movie, remember he turned the Buffy movie that the suits ruined into a hit TV show that was what he wanted the movie to be. Who says he can't do it the other way around?

BTW, the DVD set is awesome! Firefly fans pick it up ASAP! It was up to number 11 in the Amazon DVD sales rank the other day. Not too shabby for a TV show that Fox thinks no one wanted. Maybe they will back paddle like they are doing with Family Guy.

Joss is and has been trying to get it to the theaters. Universal purchased the rights from Fox, so it will most likely be under them. All the cast members have agreed to do it if it gets the final green light. Joss has already wrote a script. Chances are good that we'll see it on the big screen.

While some are skeptical that a cancelled TV show could turn into a great movie, remember he turned the Buffy movie that the suits ruined into a hit TV show that was what he wanted the movie to be. Who says he can't do it the other way around?

BTW, the DVD set is awesome! Firefly fans pick it up ASAP! It was up to number 11 in the Amazon DVD sales rank the other day. Not too shabby for a TV show that Fox thinks no one wanted. Maybe they will back paddle like they are doing with Family Guy.

Considering the sales of the Babylon 5 season box sets might give us a new and decent series..... thats great news for Firefly. :)

Great show... but what can you expect from Whedon and company?

Haven't got the DVD's yet... but I got a Best Buy Gift Certificate and a full tank of gas... Hmmmmm.. :D

yep, rumor is Whedon is gonna take over writing New X-Men after Grant Morrison's run is over....should be sweet....

Nice, sucks that Firefly got a DVD set, and there are no plans to do one for John Doe which was as good a series IMHO.

Personally, I didn't like Firefly too much, the whole sci-fi western thing doesn't do much for me in general, but I was thrilled last year to see two new sci fi shows in the Fox lineup, until they cancelled both of them <_>

*Remembered when Fox showed nothing but shows such as Martin, In Living Color, Living Single, etc.....*

I never got into Firefly. Now, Dark Angel? That was a show that was mistreated. I'm thankful for the DVDs and for Jessica Alba for dropping that punk like a bad habit.

Bought this the other day....

Kinda bums me out that there's no plans for a John Doe set... I really liked that show. It and Firefly were the first network shows since The X-Files that I actually made a point of watching.

Personally, I didn't like Firefly too much, the whole sci-fi western thing doesn't do much for me in general, but I was thrilled last year to see two new sci fi shows in the Fox lineup, until they cancelled both of them <_<

You know that comment on irony I made in my first post in this thread? I'll let you in on a little secret: most mainstream SF are really westerns. It's why we call them "space operas." The term comes from "saddle opera," which was used to describe western stories in pulps and dime novels. Firefly just happened to actually look like a western.

A script is already written? Last interview I read w/ Whedon (12/1 at CFQ) was that he was still working on writing it....new news?