Firefly

JELEINEN

Great show... but what can you expect from Whedon and company?

Haven't got the DVD's yet... but I got a Best Buy Gift Certificate and a full tank of gas... Hmmmmm..  :D

yep, rumor is Whedon is gonna take over writing New X-Men after Grant Morrison's run is over....should be sweet....

Sounds good. How was the Fray comic mini-series that he did for Dark Horse? I thought about picking it up since I am a big Buffy fan! (ah shut up! ... you people know you are closet Buffy fans! :p )

Personally, I didn't like Firefly too much, the whole sci-fi western thing doesn't do much for me in general, but I was thrilled last year to see two new sci fi shows in the Fox lineup, until they cancelled both of them <_<

You know that comment on irony I made in my first post in this thread? I'll let you in on a little secret: most mainstream SF are really westerns. It's why we call them "space operas." The term comes from "saddle opera," which was used to describe western stories in pulps and dime novels. Firefly just happened to actually look like a western.

True, but what I hated about Firefly is the idea that these guys can be zooming about the galaxy in starships, visiting high tech space stations etc, and then they land on a planet, where the entire cast is dressed in rejects from the costume department of the Outlaw Josey Wales.

I just do not believe (and yes, Sci Fi is all about suspension of disbelief) that an advanced society would have that much of a dichotomy going on.

Alot of the same elements are there in Star Wars, and yeah, Star Wars is also a Space Western in alot of ways, but at least the backwoods planet of Tatooine had a high tech bar, and people dressed in their own period's clothing.

Personally, I didn't like Firefly too much, the whole sci-fi western thing doesn't do much for me in general, but I was thrilled last year to see two new sci fi shows in the Fox lineup, until they cancelled both of them <_<

You know that comment on irony I made in my first post in this thread? I'll let you in on a little secret: most mainstream SF are really westerns. It's why we call them "space operas." The term comes from "saddle opera," which was used to describe western stories in pulps and dime novels. Firefly just happened to actually look like a western.

True, but what I hated about Firefly is the idea that these guys can be zooming about the galaxy in starships, visiting high tech space stations etc, and then they land on a planet, where the entire cast is dressed in rejects from the costume department of the Outlaw Josey Wales.

I just do not believe (and yes, Sci Fi is all about suspension of disbelief) that an advanced society would have that much of a dichotomy going on.

Alot of the same elements are there in Star Wars, and yeah, Star Wars is also a Space Western in alot of ways, but at least the backwoods planet of Tatooine had a high tech bar, and people dressed in their own period's clothing.

Huh.... I have to disagree with that, MM.

We easily have that much of a dichotomy in our society today - even if it isn't the "advanced society" of SciFi...

Go visit the rich areas of any major city in the U.S. - then drive to projects. Hell, contrast any american city to the third world... you'll notice a very heavy lack of technological advancement in poor African countries.

Seems to me that believing in a more equal society requires more suspension of disbelief. I always hated future utopian visions, personally... not realistic at all.

But, all that being said - Firefly is still a kick ass show. ;)

Come on. There's a bigger dichotomy right now on this very planet, at this very moment. There are people literally living in the stone age, while you and I live in a post-industrial society that can send people to the moon. If you can't suspend disbelief for the technology differences seen the show (which are logically and easily explained), I wonder how you deal with reality.

Come on. There's a bigger dichotomy right now on this very planet, at this very moment. There are people literally living in the stone age, while you and I live in a post-industrial society that can send people to the moon. If you can't suspend disbelief for the technology differences seen the show (which are logically and easily explained), I wonder how you deal with reality.

True

However, we did not deposit those stone age people into their current locations by modern means. How do these backwards assed cowboys get to these planets in Firefly? Do they teleport there?, are the moved there by Magic?. No, they are transported by spacecraft, modern spacecraft. I just find it hard to believe that you would go to all the trouble of moving to another planet via interstallar spacecraft, only to live in a freaking log cabin.

Yes, there is the element of choice to be taken into consideration, perhaps everyone in the Firefly universe was some kind of back to nature religious whacko or something.

Either way, the show didn't appeal to me for that reason, and it obviously appealed to every one else here FOR that reason, so let's just agree to disagree.