My Latest Project

B-52 GUNNER

At first it will be static then after I have it Built and Painted I'll think about R/C.

There is a group called the R2 Builders Club and the guys there make parts but sell them at cost.

It ain't cheap but it's cool.

The fact that there's a club devoted to making R2-D2 clones astounds me.

GobotFool Posted on Dec 24 2003, 02:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insanely cool. I have always wanted a full sized R2 unit. Do these guys do commissions?

Sorry to say the answer to that is NO!!!!!!!!!!!

They have a large resource of blueprints and some of the guys make parts like the dome, legs, skin, etc..

They range from $500.00 and up for all the parts and how much work you want to put into them. the less work the more expensive.

Alot of the guys are trying to make all aluminium droids.

Those range over $1000.00

GobotFool Posted on Dec 24 2003, 02:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insanely cool. I have always wanted a full sized R2 unit. Do these guys do commissions?

Sorry to say the answer to that is NO!!!!!!!!!!!

They have a large resource of blueprints and some of the guys make parts like the dome, legs, skin, etc..

They range from $500.00 and up for all the parts and how much work you want to put into them. the less work the more expensive.

Alot of the guys are trying to make all aluminium droids.

Those range over $1000.00

Oh well. I'll just oogle these pictures you posted.

:p Oh boy, I saw the group of astor mech droid builders at C2. As friend of mine told me who plans to buid one said, "These things are like hobby cars. You get the basic the vehicle and start buidling up. Once you think you're finished, you think of upgrades and you sink more money to into that thing. You build the R2, you want to add some of the accessories, now you mant to make him remote-controlled, etc."

:p Oh boy, I saw the group of astor mech droid builders at C2. As friend of mine told me who plans to buid one said, "These things are like hobby cars. You get the basic the vehicle and start buidling up. Once you think you're finished, you think of upgrades and you sink more money to into that thing. You build the R2, you want to add some of the accessories, now you mant to make him remote-controlled, etc."

And eventually it follows you while making tweeting noises and launching lightsabers at you through an air cannon..

oh man that's awesome!!! So after your done with everything, will you consider putting in a lightsaber replica so it can pop up on top of it's head when you need it? That would be an awesome addition to that custom!! So far so good! Keep up the good work, and hopefully you'll be done earlier! :p:D:lol:

That is too cool! But an expensive hobby I must say.

Good luck on your project!

I have a question. So to get the weathered / Used look do you just let them sit out in the rain?

Rob MN

I think I heard of someone in the group using diluted water soluble brown paint and giving him a wash with it. It makes him look grundgy but it can still be washed off.

Someone even make restraining bolts.

oh man that's awesome!!! So after your done with everything, will you consider putting in a lightsaber replica so it can pop up on top of it's head when you need it? That would be an awesome addition to that custom!! So far so good! Keep up the good work, and hopefully you'll be done earlier! :p:D:lol:

People have talked about doing that but it's a matter of getting that pie piece to open the right way.

It slides back, but in Empire Strikes Back it flips open from the front when he pukes out that swamp water.

The light saber would have to be made out of foam rubber with a solid plastic core.

It needs to be light weight but also keep it's shape.

I'd hate to see someone fire a metal one and accidently blast a hole in the ceiling. B))

The light saber would have to be made out of foam rubber with a solid plastic core.

It needs to be light weight but also keep it's shape.

I'd hate to see someone fire a metal one and accidently blast a hole in the ceiling. B))

But I'd pay good money to see someone blast a WORKING one out.

Especially if it didn't go straight up, so it spun in the air.

This all assumes I'm a safe distance away.

By the way BoBe-Patt, What's your avatar from and what is he saying?

It's ARNOLD SWARTENAGGERRRR? And it is a clip from a Japanese Genki Drinke Commercial.

Sorry Bobe...couldn't resist answering because for once I actually know the answer :lol:

Rob MN

What was he saying though? Reading his lips it looked like "S.O.B."... :D

I just finished cutting the inner Dome door openings.

It took me over 2 hours of work with a Dremel but I finished it.

Next I will weld hinges on the inside before I cut the tabs holding the doors in place.

Here's a photo of my progress.

post-26-1072969441_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well, It's been 8 months since my last update on this project and I finally have some new info and photos to show you guys.

I ordered my skins for my R2 on Wednesday and they showed up on Friday.

Man was that fast!

The skins are laser cut aluminum and fit onto an 18" frame that I'll have to design.

I want to build a prototype out of Masonite and then after measurements have been taken off of it I'll build the real frame out of 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum plate.

Hopefully I can get all the doors to open :D

Here's a couple photos of my skins with my new dome.

I had a friend that needed my first dome for a full size X-Wing he picked up on Ebay so he gave me a new one.

I love friends like that.

Enjoy the new pics.

Scot

post-26-1094328448_thumb.jpg

The Dome is hand spun and laser cut.

A friend of mine spent over $30,000 getting the dome perfect and he sells them for $390.00 shipped in the US.

The skin is laser cut and roller on an 18" ID and is double layered .080 aluminum.

THey run $175.00 shipped in the US.

Next I need a frame, skirt, misc. parts and $$$LEGS$$$

Followed by a DUPONT white and a mixture of House of Kolor to get the Hypothetical R2 Blue B))

BIG BUCKS but if you buy the parts one at a time it doesn't hurt as much.

Scot