Macross 7

Roy's Blues

How about those jets that turn into robots? What's up with THAT?

Or that big battleship that turns into a huge-ass robot with naval ships for arms?

Well, as bad as the reason was in the original Macross, atleast they had a reason. Macross 7 does't have any real reason for transformation. And don't tell me for targeting, that's pretty lame.

On the ground, being able to point the main cannon at the sky would be useful, as they did for a while. I would wonder about weight balance though.

Well, as bad as the reason was in the original Macross, atleast they had a reason. Macross 7 does't have any real reason for transformation. And don't tell me for targeting, that's pretty lame.

In the end I liked having the original ship transform, haven't seen it done before and looked bad-ass in the end. Though I can't say the New Macross classes look anything near as good as the original did.

I guess one reason for making the New Macross classes transform is for tradition's sake, can't call it a Macross-class if it can't do that. I never said it had a good reason for doing that.

We don't know for what, in story, reason the new Macross Battle vessel transforms. You certainly don't know that it doesn't have a "real" (in story) reason for it. Maybe the SDF showed them that the main weapons work better. Maybe the main weapon can be made more powerful/damaging at the cost of a radiation or something that necessitates it being held away from the crew areas of the ship.

The real life reasons are because both anime are replete with transforming mecha and that's the ultimate.

Battle 7 makes alot more sense than SDF. It's a pure military ship with no civilian housing, etc. Yes, having articulated fingers, etc isn't realistic, but it's quite so for a much smaller valkyrie as well. Realism and transforming hominid/jet mecha are almost (if not) an oxymoron anyways.

To me, it's all about suspension of disbelief. The original SDF Macross showed us very specifically why the Valkyries were designed to transform (to combat the Zentradi) and they did so in a reasonably realistic manner. They showed us why the Macross had to transform (to counteract the loss of the fold system in order to fire the main gun) and once it did so it was largely static with the noteable exception of the Daedalus punch. It was only anthromorphic in appearance, and if you could get past the notion of it transforming in the first place then it was smooth sailing for the remainder of the series.

The Battle-7, however, is capable of transformation "just because." Because of this, along with it's fingers and the inevitable "gun" it carries, it's reduced to being another mecha, albeit on a ridiculous scale. I can accept "Metroplex" in Transformers but he has no place in a comparitively serious SF series like Macross. Thus, Battle-7 breaks that tenuous barrier between plausible and over-the-top silliness.

We don't know for what, in story, reason the new Macross Battle vessel transforms. You certainly don't know that it doesn't have a "real" (in story) reason for it. Maybe the SDF showed them that the main weapons work better. Maybe the main weapon can be made more powerful/damaging at the cost of a radiation or something that necessitates it being held away from the crew areas of the ship.

The real life reasons are because both anime are replete with transforming mecha and that's the ultimate.

Battle 7 makes alot more sense than SDF. It's a pure military ship with no civilian housing, etc. Yes, having articulated fingers, etc isn't realistic, but it's quite so for a much smaller valkyrie as well. Realism and transforming hominid/jet mecha are almost (if not) an oxymoron anyways.

:huh:

You don't make sense. The SDF-1 was a pure military ship in both it's original Supervision Army role and the UN-Spacy role.

The "Macross City" part was just hastily incorporated into it when it folded to Pluto.

How does that make less sense than Battle-7?