Was the VF-1D ever deployed in combat?

omg

Hopefully someone with facts will step up to answer this; so far I've been unable to find evidence in The Compendium about what exact role did the VF-1D have in the Space War I.

The reason I'm doubtful is because in the begining of the TV series they seem to have been used for training purposes. However, later on in DYRL we are introduced to the VT-1 "Super Ostrich" plane which just accomplishes that same task, albeit in space.

Were any VF-1D's in some obscure squadron? I'd like to see if I can paint a couple of model kits I have differently from the horribly drab and played-out beige/orange theme we've all seen to death so far. I have been unable to find any online refference or any other modeler who's attempted to use different paint layouts and decals, which is rather odd for such a purty two-seater valk...

post-2-1071899623_thumb.jpg

Hopefully someone with facts will step up to answer this; so far I've been unable to find evidence in The Compendium about what exact role did the VF-1D have in the Space War I.

The reason I'm doubtful is because in the begining of the TV series they seem to have been used for training purposes. However, later on in DYRL we are introduced to the VT-1 "Super Ostrich" plane which just accomplishes that same task, albeit in space.

Were any VF-1D's in some obscure squadron? I'd like to see if I can paint a couple of model kits I have differently from the horribly drab and played-out beige/orange theme we've all seen to death so far. I have been unable to find any online refference or any other modeler who's attempted to use different paint layouts and decals, which is rather odd for such a purty two-seater valk...

The VF-1D was deployed in combat, but was never seen in anything other than the orange/beige colour scheme.

Max and Millia flew in a Max scheme Blue D model in their wedding episode.

I'm figuring they used the D models in SDF Macross kind of like how F-16D's are used. The F-16D models are used for training, for incentive flights, and such, and they can be flown alone or with someone in the back to assist, also in combat of course.

In M0 it seems they were using VF-0D models for the pilots coming off of flying F-14's, using the back seat as a RIO just like normal for them. It would stand to reason some of those surviving pilot pairs would use D model VF-1's in Space War 1 as well.

Edited by Anubis

The reason I'm doubtful is because in the begining of the TV series they seem to have been used for training purposes.

#1 all-time misconception about the VF-1D: [rant] THE VF-1D IS NOT A FREAKIN TRAINER PEOPLE. WHERE THE HELL DOES IT SAY IT IS A TRAINER?????? Get it out of your heads that the VF-1D is a trainer! [/rant]

VF-1D: Two-seater version. Two RÖV-20 laser guns and two TV camera eye systems.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_.../vf1/index.html

However, later on in DYRL we are introduced to the VT-1 "Super Ostrich" plane which just accomplishes that same task, albeit in space.

The VT-1 is a trainer.

VT-1: Two-seater trainer version,

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_.../vf1/index.html

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/glossar...y/index.html#VT

Were any VF-1D's in some obscure squadron?

Don't know. There's another VF-1D on guard-duty in episode 7.

Armed-recon perhaps? General-purpose 2-seater fighter perhaps?

I'd like to see if I can paint a couple of model kits I have differently from the horribly drab and played-out beige/orange theme we've all seen to death so far. I have been unable to find any online refference or any other modeler who's attempted to use different paint layouts and decals, which is rather odd for such a purty two-seater valk...

You could always try experimenting with colors? Try modeling it after Shin's VF-0D or the cannon fodder VF-0D?

(Courtesy of Bandai)

VF0D_fighter.jpg

#1 all-time misconception about the VF-1D: [rant] THE VF-1D IS NOT A FREAKIN TRAINER PEOPLE. WHERE THE HELL DOES IT SAY IT IS A TRAINER?????? Get it out of your heads that the VF-1D is a trainer! [/rant]

Thanks for clearing that up. I said "seemed" because Roy introduced HIikaru to a test flight in the first episode, oh well, no need to die from a heart attack there mate.

Max and Millia flew in a Max scheme Blue D model in their wedding episode.

This is a good idea. After watching that episode closely I also noticed there were Ds present in the nuptial reception comitee-crossfire valkyrie thingy, in plain vanilla CF colors.

You could always try experimenting with colors? Try modeling it after Shin's VF-0D or the cannon fodder VF-0D?

This is also a very good idea. Thanks a lot guys!

So, gleaning something else from this thread....

They repainted an entire VF-1D so Max and Millia could fly it for ten seconds after their wedding....

They repainted an entire VF-0D so a chick like Shin could have his own custom color scheme...

Max goes through two color schemes in the series.

They repaint a VF-1J and give it to Max's main squeeze in the series.

So, I'm guessing the budget for cosmetic modifications must be pretty huge, strange considering the amount of attrition that the space forces suffered during SW 1.

They probably use one of those new "paintless" techniques to come up with those new schemes. Just print out your new paint scheme on a giant printer and tick it on.

Hey, even Kakizaki got his own paint scheme in the series.

Slightly back on topic, inspired by the Revell box, I'm once again going to campaign for a Valk in the "jungle camo" scheme often featured on AF jets during the Vietnam War. At least, when I get the space/tools/skills, I hope to do one.

I believe his VF-1A was destroy in the lift inside the Zentraedi ship.

So he needed a new plane anyway.

Well, they repainted the VF-1D blue for the wedding, yes. It was the first wedding between aliens and humans, and I believe that's it's not a big problem.

Important "speaking" characters all have their own paint themes. It's easier for us to recognize them. If all of them had used cannon Fodder, it would have been impossible to understand the story.

About the VT-1 :

- the head doesn't have lasers - only some kind of radar

- it doesn't have a pod gun

- boosters don't contain micro-missiles - only fuel

The only way to use it as a weapon is to change every thing and add missiles under the wings. I suppose you can use "super" boosters on the VT-1. But MAYBE NOT because it's completely new kind of boosters. It contains extra-fuel for extended trainings.

Edited by Göönk

About the VT-1 :

- the head doesn't have lasers - only some kind of radar

- it doesn't have a pod gun

- boosters don't contain micro-missiles - only fuel

The only way to use it as a weapon is to change every thing and add missiles under the wings. I suppose you can use "super" boosters on the VT-1. But MAYBE NOT because it's completely new kind of boosters. It contains extra-fuel for extended trainings.

True, no head laserguns and no Micromissles in the boosters or armunits

too bad the compendium doesn't mention any hardpoints to attach weaponry on the wings,

but give it a gunpod and it can shoot, it has the tracking and targetting systems for it

I believe his VF-1A was destroy in the lift inside the Zentraedi ship.

So he needed a new plane anyway.

That was long before he hooked up with MIllia. He got a new 1A when he returned to the Macross--it was the one he fought her in.

They probably use one of those new "paintless" techniques to come up with those new schemes. Just print out your new paint scheme on a giant printer and tick it on.

Or some sort of "programmable" paint. The pilot just has to create a color scheme and feed it into the computer, which realigns the pigments as needed.

Intended for stealth purposes(adaptive camoflauge), but the pilots keep defeating the purpose by wiring it up in bright primary colors.

The worst part is there's similar products being developed now.

Only for "smart" paper instead of fighterplane skin.

They probably use one of those new "paintless" techniques to come up with those new schemes.  Just print out your new paint scheme on a giant printer and tick it on.

Or some sort of "programmable" paint. The pilot just has to create a color scheme and feed it into the computer, which realigns the pigments as needed.

Intended for stealth purposes(adaptive camoflauge), but the pilots keep defeating the purpose by wiring it up in bright primary colors.

They're already working on such a system. What I was refering to is different though. It's basically big vinyl apliques that you stick on the plane instead of paint. The idea is that if you ever need to repaint or repair a plane all you do is peel off the old apliques and stick new ones on. Over the long run this actually saves weight (older airplanse can gain several hundred pounds just from new layers of paint over the years). The other advantage is you can come up with new paint schemes out in the field then just print them out on a giant printer and stick them on the plane.

So, gleaning something else from this thread....

They repainted an entire VF-1D so Max and Millia could fly it for ten seconds after their wedding....

They repainted an entire VF-0D so a chick like Shin could have his own custom color scheme...

Max goes through two color schemes in the series.

So, I'm guessing the budget for cosmetic modifications must be pretty huge, strange considering the amount of attrition that the space forces suffered during SW 1.

Pilot Morale?

vinnie

They probably use one of those new "paintless" techniques to come up with those new schemes.  Just print out your new paint scheme on a giant printer and tick it on.

They're already working on such a system. What I was refering to is different though. It's basically big vinyl apliques that you stick on the plane instead of paint. The idea is that if you ever need to repaint or repair a plane all you do is peel off the old apliques and stick new ones on. Over the long run this actually saves weight (older airplanse can gain several hundred pounds just from new layers of paint over the years). The other advantage is you can come up with new paint schemes out in the field then just print them out on a giant printer and stick them on the plane.

Another approach.

Likely far more practical, too. :)

guess its differnt than the mining equipment we get. though most of the trucks and slids are larger than most houses its taken apart peice by peice, sand blasted, painted and put back together. i wonder how strong a glue is needed so it wount peel when going super sonic and theres air bubbles like on the decals we put on the trucks when somebody messes up abit. coarse not telling how to get rid of them, trade secret.

If you look for different paint schemes Hasegawa provides alternative decals for a different paint scheme (lo viz VF-EX) with it's VF-1D kit

I know what the compendium says about the VF-1D, but there are some hints that indicates it was intended to use it as a trainer as it's primary role:

Consider the VF-1D VT-102:

a- Color scheme: orange is clearly a non-fighting color. I think the original idea was to paint it as the US Navy trainers of the '70s (white and red/orange)

b- The T in VT-102 means something???

c- In Macross Perfect Memory book (i.e. canon info) there is a detail of the canopy that shows both the name of the instructor (Capt. Dagger ? ) and "student" seat.

Of course after the war started all resources were commited to the war effort including trainers (most modern trainers have a combat role too)

It was used in combat: in Mars, in Macross City (remember Hikaru shooting ?? ), in the battle after the wedding, It was used as an Elint fighter as the VEFR-1...

What's to say that they just didn't stick the cockpit section and head unit of a VF-1D on Max's VF-1A? We know from the beggining of the tv series that the cockpit section is removable. Seems it would be easier to just repaint these two components than an entire fighter.

What's to say that they just didn't stick the cockpit section and head unit of a VF-1D on Max's VF-1A? We know from the beggining of the tv series that the cockpit section is removable. Seems it would be easier to just repaint these two components than an entire fighter.

There was a thread about this a while ago, and I think the outcome was that VF-1D cockpits weren't compatible with VF-1A/J/S chestplates. For starters, the conexion point is more to the back of the plane in the VF-D, and the fuselage bulkheads in those points aren't likely to coincide.

Doesn't work. The fuselage is completely different on a VF-1D, the nose and the fuselage would have no way of mating.

It's obvious from the first episode that the VF-1D was, indeed, used in combat.

Sometime ago someone compared the functions of the VF-1D with that of the VF-14 Tomcat. That the secondary pilot is there for the purposes of radar operation and other things. And also that the VT-1 was the training aircraft.

/end TSSM

(Note: TSSM = "Trying to Sound Smart Mode")

I would say it's more analagous to an F-16D or F/A-18D. It does in fact serve a training prupose, in that it's used to familiarize pilots to flying that particular aircraft not actually teach them how to fly, but it also can be put into combat, and is particularly useful in situations where a second set of eyes come in handy. The VT-1 on the other hand looks to be an actualy trainer. It's primary purpose is to teach pilots how to fly and operate a variable fighter, equivelent to a T-45 Goshawk or T-38 Talon.