Was the VF-1D ever deployed in combat?

omg

It's obvious from the first episode that the VF-1D was, indeed, used in combat.

:blink: (Stunned.) You're absolutely right. I'd never thought of it that way for some reason, but if the VF-1D wasn't intended for combat, why would Misa have ordered Hikaru to take off?

Or better yet, why does it come with a armed gunpod?

What's to say that they just didn't stick the cockpit section and head unit of a VF-1D on Max's VF-1A? We know from the beggining of the tv series that the cockpit section is removable. Seems it would be easier to just repaint these two components than an entire fighter.

Yes, me and another member got into this pretty heavilly. the TIAS books had schematics for it and everything. They clearly listed it as a VF-1D. The torsos are completely different on the two aircraft and cockpits could not be exchanged.

It's obvious from the first episode that the VF-1D was, indeed, used in combat.

:blink: (Stunned.) You're absolutely right. I'd never thought of it that way for some reason, but if the VF-1D wasn't intended for combat, why would Misa have ordered Hikaru to take off?

I said that well before!!! :D:D But seems nobody reads my posts :(:(

Quoting myself (this same thread december 22):

It was used in combat: in Mars, in Macross City (remember Hikaru shooting ?? ), in the battle after the wedding, It was used as an Elint fighter as the VEFR-1...

The VF-1 is a fighter. Before the war I'm sure it was used for advanced training but later was used just as another VF.

Edited by Gerwalker

Here's an idea for you.. Try an Angelbirds VF-1D. :D No, seriously....

Today, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds both have a number 7 aircraft, and possibly more. They're used when one of the aircraft is in for repairs, I imagine, cause they can easily repaint the tail numbers to replace another aircraft. But they also serve another purpose: publicity. I have oodles of beautiful photos of both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds in flight, some from within the cockpit. Now, trust me, you're not going to have a free hand to snap photos when your canopy is a few inches away from smacking into someone's wingtip. That's where the two-seaters come in. The back seater can be there to take photos of the group in flight. They don't usually perform with the group unless another aircraft breaks down, but they probably hang around quite a bit at practices and photo-shoots, taking up-close and personal shots of the planes. I actually have a photo of the Blue Angels from a distance, showing the main group in formation, planes 1-4.. however, in this shot, number 4 is actually a two-seater Hornet! You also often see the extra planes at airshows. Sometimes, they'll leave one aircraft parked as a display for the crowd to look at up close, or it may be parked off in the distance as a flyable backup in case of a problem. At one airshow I've been to, they actually switched aircraft mid-show when one plane had a hydraulic problem. He landed, then a few minutes later, took off in a two seater F-18, and they continued the show. It was actually a better show than usual, cause the soloists did some extra stuff to stall for time while the planes were switched.

So, it really makes sense that any flight demonstration team would probably have one or two two-seater planes. Besides, you've gotta have that extra seat to pull the obligatory publicity stunt, and give some contest-winner, or VIP a ride.icon8.gif:D