So.... world is still here! Reflection on Best of 2012.

Ghost Train

Topic.

It's about 3:37 AM in Kiribati of December 22nd 2012, most of Asia will cross the date line soon as well.

The grays from Zeta Reticuli have not invaded, and thus the UN was not forced to activate the X-COM project. All the super volcanos are still pretty quiet, and Nibiru is nowhere to be seen (I mean we would have most certainly felt the "gravitational effects" of another planet on a collision course by now!)

So ... what did you all enjoy in 2012? Toys, animes, movies, models, games?

For me Bandai and Yamato delivered big time on some pretty awesome stuff most noticeably the VF-17 and up and coming VF-4. Bandai ups its game with the VF-171, and the usual Gundam fare. Thank you so much for the GM Sniper HGUC's!!! Let's keep those relatively obscure MSV's coming along.

The only movie I saw was Prometheus.

Games-wise I'm still having a blast with X-Com, definitely my GOTY.

Your thoughts? What are you anxiously waiting for in 2013?

Edited by Ghost Train

Are we talking on a personal level or as an anime-based community? Plenty of ground breaking movies like Dark Knight Rises, Avengers and the Hobbit, to name a few. Then there was Yamato 2199, which has to be one of the greatest reboots in ANY genre, as far as I'm concerned. Not into games or music anymore so I can't comment on that; I spent most of the year working so the year kinda passed me by. Remind me of what I missed, guys!

LOL. You need to get out more. Make that your new years resolution......

On that note I still celebrate Inception; easily one of my personal favorites of all time...

The Mayan calendar was just a timer and was a dream, there world did not end but the real world did. This is another dream.

Armaception.

Hey as long as I can see the next Star Trek I'm OK with that, lol...

I took one out of a girl who was up for 3 years ...

Amiga work, which gave me the ball ... But it did not happen

Dude, you've GOT to find a better translation software, because that post made you sound like a psycho Jack the Ripper-style copycat killer.

Seriously, you took what out of a girl?!

Edited by GU-11

Uh....lol, I think he means he has a friend that's a girl he's known for three years at work, and he knew the ball was in his court but it didn't happen, so he killed her and pulled the knife out.

Did I miss anything?

Okay, that makes more sense.

Personally, I was thinking maybe he was a surgeon who operated on some girl who had a ball inside her for three years. And once he took it out, she wanted him to have the ball as a keepsake or something, but he didn't accept it.

LOL. You need to get out more. Make that your new years resolution......

I'll give it a shot, when you suffer from extreme Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (the level requiring medication) some things and places are off-limits - public restrooms, dark room full of strangers (i.e. ye old cinema) B)) . I do a lot of streaming, normally a few months after a flick is released... for Star Trek I might make an exception next year.

UPDATE: ...December 22, 2012 now.

24232104.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train

Dude, you've GOT to find a better translation software, because that post made you sound like a psycho Jack the Ripper-style copycat killer.

Seriously, you took what out of a girl?!

Sorry guy^^

I was sad about it^^

I don't write correctly.

Sorry guy^^

I was sad about it^^

I don't write correctly.

That, and getting colloquialisms and slang to translate properly almost allways leads to epic fail...

Just so everyone gets it: "give ball" (dar bola) means 'to pay attention to someone in a flirtatious way'.

That, and getting colloquialisms and slang to translate properly almost allways leads to epic fail...

Just so everyone gets it: "give ball" (dar bola) means 'to pay attention to someone in a flirtatious way'.

Old Nash has nothing to be ashamed of. He may have just created the greatest english slang of 2013!

"Hey man I'm going to the club tonight to give ball to the ladies!"

what was good in my neck of the woods? Fro all the good (and craptastic) movies that came out, all will agree Avengers ruled, and Prometheus... not so much. DDO came out with new content (and i grind for the Monster Manual Kills, TUVM), MWO pretty much became the 3rd word, of every 3 words that comes out of my future step son's mouth, and i pretty much dropped STO (for lack of time to play as opposed to general disinterest. im sure its still cool for some). Mostly im happy that my future minions are doing well in school (especially my youngest, who has some form of autism and has been potty trained since last february. Oh how i how YOU get to change a few diapers for humility's sake. Derp.). Ive been engaged to my fiance for slightly over a year and im still here, all the chaos that kids do aside.

my country of course is not well, but ill leave the politics (and all the profanity I generate in angry as a result from exposure of) out of this. I just hope all of your xmas tides (or paganistic overtures to orcus, if that applies LOL) is merry.

oh yeah, Yamato 2199 and STID. im looking forward to buy one eventually and seeing who the hell is bad guy is (finally) next year...

Edited by TehPW

So ... what did you all enjoy in 2012? Toys, animes, movies, models, games?

I spent most of 2012 working on my first tv series, "Alien Dawn", as a lead artist. Hands down the best part of 2012 for me.

Your thoughts? What are you anxiously waiting for in 2013?

Well, the show I worked on airs on Nicktoons starting in February, 2013, so have to say I'm looking forward to that!

Other than that, the Yamato VF-4G is hands down the best toy to happen this year. I'm willing to say that even though it's not in my hands yet. I've been waiting for a VF-4 toy ever since I first glimpsed a picture of it on the net in the late 90's. Behind the DYRL Macross, it has been my most wanted toy. Now I'll finally have both!

Like AreaSeven said, lots of great movies this year. Loved Avengers, Looper, Wreck-it Ralph and more. "Cabin in the Woods" was a very pleasant surprise, if you haven't seen it, GO WATCH IT! Hardly the best movie this year (That was probably Looper, for me), but a lot of fun.

Worst of 2012? The disappointment I had with Prometheus is my personal pick.

I still need to see Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall and some other movies.

On a personal note it was a great year. However, speaking about genre entertainment it was phenomenal.

About film, as I've mentioned several times before in other threads, the 2012 year was about one of the best years for film I've ever had the pleasure of living through. Almost every time I went to the theatre I saw a film I instantly knew I was going to be purchasing on Blu-Ray. So many movies worth watching again and more importantly, so many true surprises. I wish every year in film could be like 2012. I'd die happy :)

Some of my fav films of the year: The Raid, Looper, Dredd, Chronicle, Seven Psychopaths, The Avengers, Skyfall

About video games, again a year filled with amazing work. I defninitely felt my tastes leaning toward many retro-gaming titles this year, but modern gaming had no shortage of representation in this year's best of work. one of the things I appreciated most about gaming in 2012 was the wide variety and difference in gaming experience between the titles I enjoyed. They would range all over, from shooters, to strategy, to platforming, to some games that almost defied categorization of any kind. Truly been spoiled yet again this year :)

Some of my fav games of the year: X-COM: Enemy Unknown, Battlefield 3, Journey, Mark of the Ninja, Fez

About television, all the usual suspects are there. I'll not go too far into each since I've already praised them all numerous times in other threads. Needless to say, so much good stuff it's scary.

Some of my fav shows of the year: Justified, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire,

About books, I don't read a lot of genre stuff. Mostly books that people here would find "boring" like The Price of Inequality by Joseph Stiglitz and that sort of thing. I did read World War Z by Max Brooks and it was phenomenal.

All around, a great year and one of the best for entertainment in a long time.