This is the worst movie of all time. WARNING: This movie is so horrible your brain might explode or you may lose the will to live.

Also. There are sequels. Dude got a million dollars to make more of this...

Watch at your own peril. If possible find the rifftrax (same dudes from MST3K) to go with it...its the only way to make it bearable

Edited by r_hunter85

• 2 weeks later...

Although it is referenced in the very thread title, and on it's own I would not call it the WORST movie ever made, since I just recently watched some of it I HAVE to nominate it, yes of course I refer to "Highland II". I forgot just how turly wretched this turd of a movie was, and for it to so utterly trash the mythology of the first one (for some scifi rubbish no less) is shameful.

I don't know how many years it will take for me to forget the hawkman/hoverboard "fight" scene this time around...

Although it is referenced in the very thread title, and on its own I would not call it the WORST movie ever made, since I just recently watched some of it I HAVE to nominate it, yes of course I refer to "Highlander II". I forgot just how truly wretched this turd of a movie was, and for it to so utterly trash the mythology of the first one (for some scifi rubbish no less) is shameful.

I don't know how many years it will take for me to forget the hawkman/hoverboard "fight" scene this time around...

Which version did you watch?

Which version did you watch?

Directors cut or something like that. Not the theatrical version. I only skipped through, found the part of it where McCloud turns young again and "fights" the flying guy. Turned it off.

I put "fights" in quotes since that is one of the most pathetic fights scenes ever. The sword fights in the first one were great and then we get this flying junk...

I had the misfortune of watching the theatrical release of Highlander II: The Quickening when it first came out in theaters. Because of this, I'll never watch any attempt at correcting it, whether it's Mulcahy's 1995 "Renegade Version" or Panzer/Davis' 2004 "Special Edition".

This line sums up all live-action Highlander movies released after the first.

The original doesn't even hold up for me for me anymore. In the right hands, a remake could quite easily prove to be a superior realization of the idea.

Alright, I'll play too. I don't know if this stinker from the early '90s has been brought up before -- haven't gone through the whole thread... reviewing so many horrid movie suggestions could make one suicidal, but how about Freejack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2jlaE_8zcMU

Edited by mechaninac

Alright, I'll play too. I don't know if this stinker from the early '90s has been brought up before -- haven't gone through the whole thread... reviewing so many horrid movie suggestions could make one suicidal, but how about Freejack.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but if it was released in 1992, why does it look like it was produced in 1985?

Woah woah woah. Stinker?

I agree with the stinker label. There have only been three Sci-Fi movies I saw in the theatre that had me feeling like I'd been mugged out of my time and money: one was Waterworld, another was Freejack, and the third was Starship Troopers. Got fooled into all three by a friend of mine who had endless enthusiasm commensurate with his horrible taste in flicks.

I agree with the stinker label. There have only been three Sci-Fi movies I saw in the theatre that had me feeling like I'd been mugged out of my time and money: one was Waterworld, another was Freejack, and the third was Starship Troopers. Got fooled into all three by a friend of mine who had endless enthusiasm commensurate with his horrible taste in flicks.

It's not a sci-fi movie, and it's not the novel (which is a shame). It's part social commentary and part camp. If you watch and take it seriously, you are watching it wrong. It's not on the same level of Robocop, mind you. But it's still good fun.

It's not a sci-fi movie, and it's not the novel (which is a shame). It's part social commentary and part camp. If you watch and take it seriously, you are watching it wrong. It's not on the same level of Robocop, mind you. But it's still good fun.

post-237-0-01501300-1376099834_thumb.jpg

Edited by areaseven

I'll give Starship Troopers props for the SFX work, miniatures and CG, and most of the designs and execution -- the massive capital ships really sell the idea that they're ponderous behemoths; but, in my view, the movie was almost all camp, excruciatingly bad, cringe worthy camp, and the social commentary was sophomoric and ham-fisted at best... Yes Mr. Verhoven, we get the Fascism allegory, no need to beat us over the head with it... Ultimately, ST committed the biggest sin any movie can perpetrate against me: it bored me to tears.

Taste in movies, or distaste for that matter, is a very personal thing, so I won't attempt to dissuade anyone from enjoying what they like; by the same token, if I think something is lame after I've given it one or more fair chances, no amount of explanation, parsing, pseudo-erudite analysis, or cajoling will change my opinion.

Agreed. It's not sci-fi, but science fiction (in the sense of telling a story set in the future about the implications of something because telling it in the present or past would make too many people upset about it).

But yeah, lots of social commentary.

Yes Mr. Verhoven, we get the Fascism allegory,

That's not the *actual* social commentary. ;)

Edited by sketchley

I'll give Starship Troopers props for the SFX work, miniatures and CG, and most of the designs and execution -- the massive capital ships really sell the idea that they're ponderous behemoths; but, in my view, the movie was almost all camp, excruciatingly bad, cringe worthy camp, and the social commentary was sophomoric and ham-fisted at best... Yes Mr. Verhoven, we get the Fascism allegory, no need to beat us over the head with it... Ultimately, ST committed the biggest sin any movie can perpetrate against me: it bored me to tears.

Taste in movies, or distaste for that matter, is a very personal thing, so I won't attempt to dissuade anyone from enjoying what they like; by the same token, if I think something is lame after I've given it one or more fair chances, no amount of explanation, parsing, pseudo-erudite analysis, or cajoling will change my opinion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers

Fascism is one of the major complaints critics had against Robert Heinlein's novel. So it's no surprise that theme got carried over into the movie. Many of his novels, covered touchy subjects Stranger In A Strange Land comes to mind.

...That's not the *actual* social commentary. ;)

And here we go with pseudo-erudite "analysis", or in this case a winking suggestion that something was over someone else's head... and if that someone else would only "get it" that person would understand just how "awesome111!!!" it, whatever it may be, is. :rolleyes:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers

Fascism is one of the major complaints critics had against Robert Heinlein's novel. So it's no surprise that theme got carried over into the movie. Many of his novels, covered touchy subjects Stranger In A Strange Land comes to mind.

That's one of my beefs with the movie: Verhoven's take on Starship Troopers was the critic's take on the novel, which actually misrepresents the overriding theme of citizenship and Heinlein's view that only those who served could send men to war because civilians couldn't understand the true ramifications and sacrifices of war. The fascism angle is pure caricature, and in the movie's case, very over-the-top.

Edited by mechaninac

Heinlein is one of my favorite authors. I highly recommend The novel of Starship Troopers. Stranger in a Strange land, and my favorite Red Planet (no relation to the Val Kilmer movie)

And here we go with pseudo-erudite "analysis", or in this case a winking suggestion that something was over someone else's head... and if that someone else would only "get it" that person would understand just how "awesome111!!!" it, whatever it may be, is. :rolleyes:

Actually, I can't go into it =at all= as this forum has a no politics discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...