• 1 month later...

I was trying to go through this topic, but it became too difficult due to all the YouTube video embedings that were slowing my computer down. Most of the nominees listed in this thread I either have not seen or were passable at worst. Some I admit have problems such as quirky dialogue, over or under exposed lightning, poor framing, questionable conviction in acting, inconsistent story-boarding between shots, sound editing and mixing overlapping inappropriately, being a product of the time, computer effects being easy to spot for monsters or stunts (or just existing at all which I find a silly reason to diminish quality), miscasting, having a bland tone to someone familiar with the genre, or simply being a sequel or remake. I understand the frustration in some, but I have to be honest, very few movies have more than two or three of these problems, especially Hollywood, and those that have more are brief enough that I can forgive them in the overall run. What I don't understand is if your going to call something the worst it needs more quintessential merits behind it, not just a low Rotten Tomato score; some of the films here list as high as over 50% yet somehow universally despised? How does that work if more than half of the critics had some form of praise for the product?

For me a worst sci-fi motion picture requires it to be very fundamentally broken and I cannot count something like aging badly or being bland, for some people this might be their first exposure or they unironically enjoy that minutia when going to cinemas. I cannot even say with a straight face whitewashing bugs me that much, the Nostalgia Critic did an editorial on that and if the actors can work the role I will at least give them a chance to use it well. With that said my nomination for this topic is Species 4 aka Species The Awakening. My reasons are blunt, but effective: Constant shaky camera movements which cause disorientation at times they should not, under exposed lighting making it hard to tell things apart, the sound is mixed poorly, the music is forgettable, framing is generic, the pacing moves at a sluggish pace, and as a sequel it is an atrocious slap in the face to the first three. I will admit, Species was never exactly highbrow, but the first two were still very competently made and the third still retained some of the charm while giving the story a fitting conclusion. The only sequels even comparable to this are the later Return of The Living Dead ones and I blame that more on continuity errors than the films' competence(s?).

Edited by Windstorm

Another sequel nobody asked for. Even the title foreshadows the audience reaction.

Not surprisingly, it's by the same actor/director team that insulted Japanese culture with their 2003 film.

"C"

"You are not gonna remember this movie in T-minus 10 minutes (Yep, already forgot)."

"44% and 50%"

"1 Star. Nobody needs to see this."

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 37% - "Monotonously formulaic, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is one action thriller sequel whose title also serves as a warning."

Metacritic Score: 47 out of 100

Edited by areaseven

Ouija: Origin of Evil opens today in North American theaters, but it has already received a lot of praise (81% on Rotten Tomatoes and 65 out of 100 on Metacritic). It makes everyone forget that this happened.

"Dogshit"

"D+"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 7% - "Slowly, steadily, although no one seems to be moving it in that direction, the Ouija planchette points to NO."

Metacritic Score: 38 out of 100

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...