All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

While i do think Dishonored was mechanically good, I was kind of irritated that the game practically punishes you for trying to play "good". It's been awhile since I played it, but I seem to remember a lot of the new abilities, especially late-game, being better ways to kill. I also seem to remember a few situations that werena convoluted pain to do without killing. Worst of all, I found the ending to be pretty dull, so I checked out the neutral and evil endings on YouTube. Now, I'm sure everyone has their own opinions, but I thought the evil ending was the most interesting, and I remember being pretty frustrated. So I guess my vote is 3. Witcher 2 and Fall of Cybertron are both good choices. Dragon Age... well, I say this as a big fan of Bioware games in general and the first two DA games specifically (yes, even 3, whose story and characters carried the game despite the repetitive environments), but I didn't care for Inquisition. It's the only Bioware game that I quit playing (and I've finished all of them twice, except ME3 which I only finished once). Inquisition just felt tedious to me.

While i do think Dishonored was mechanically good, I was kind of irritated that the game practically punishes you for trying to play "good". It's been awhile since I played it, but I seem to remember a lot of the new abilities, especially late-game, being better ways to kill. I also seem to remember a few situations that werena convoluted pain to do without killing. Worst of all, I found the ending to be pretty dull, so I checked out the neutral and evil endings on YouTube. Now, I'm sure everyone has their own opinions, but I thought the evil ending was the most interesting, and I remember being pretty frustrated. So I guess my vote is 3. Witcher 2 and Fall of Cybertron are both good choices. Dragon Age... well, I say this as a big fan of Bioware games in general and the first two DA games specifically (yes, even 3, whose story and characters carried the game despite the repetitive environments), but I didn't care for Inquisition. It's the only Bioware game that I quit playing (and I've finished all of them twice, except ME3 which I only finished once). Inquisition just felt tedious to me.

I think the game has multiple problems. Where I think Dishonored succeeds is world building. The whole setting is presented nicely mostly flows besides the main story. Also it provides a lot of ways how to infiltrate the base and the blink mechanic is mighty nice.

Also having the beating heart of the empress with you as your companion is very macabre; I love it. What is kinda disappointing is the whole resolution with the plague and the hinted story that the whales might be more than "just" animals. The bit with the plague was very anticlimactic. I thought it was a punishment of the Outsider for killing the whales but not the Royal Spymaster brought them into the city.

I agree that many of the skills are not setup for a stealth run. However in most games that offer stealth gameplay I've made the experience that you need very little to succeed. In MGS2 I only used the tranquilizer gun in Deus Ex: Human Revolution I had major problems with the bosses because I never shot a gun before and so on. What Dishonored offers is actually pretty good and makes the game too easy (at least in the default difficulty). See through walls, freeze time,

I agree that TF:FoC is the way to go. I assume it won't take that long to complete the story mission so I will have plenty of time for the Witcher around Christmas.

Guest davidwhangchoi

for any pokemon fans

Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire (3DS) - $24.99 each at Target

http://slickdeals.net/f/8369225-pokemon-omega-ruby-or-alpha-sapphire-3ds-24-99?v=1

even sweeter!

add the code BFGuest to get an additional 20% off. (coupon may expired 12am PST)

i ended up paying 42 for both after tax w/ the new coupon.

deal is still up, still a great price without the coupon

Update: just picked up my copies

post-14069-0-13306600-1450137434_thumb.jpeg

Edited by davidwhangchoi

won a PS4 at our office raffle last night.

so i went to mall this afternoon to grab some games.

i was a bit disappointed that i gravitated more towards remastered/PS3 to PS4 ports.

few of the current lineup of PS4 games caught my fancy and so ended up picking Metro and Uncharted collections.

guess folks like me who don't do MMOs and prefer to be offline are being left behind.

i haven't been keeping up with the news so i was mistakenly excited that i could pick up a new Tombraider, Tekken, Uncharted, Ace Combat, Force Unleashed, BioShock, etc..

seems i wasn't too late to the party after all.

Guest davidwhangchoi

won a PS4 at our office raffle last night.

so i went to mall this afternoon to grab some games.

i was a bit disappointed that i gravitated more towards remastered/PS3 to PS4 ports.

few of the current lineup of PS4 games caught my fancy and so ended up picking Metro and Uncharted collections.

guess folks like me who don't do MMOs and prefer to be offline are being left behind.

i haven't been keeping up with the news so i was mistakenly excited that i could pick up a new Tombraider, Tekken, Uncharted, Ace Combat, Force Unleashed, BioShock, etc..

seems i wasn't too late to the party after all.

check out bloodborne and until dawn(try to find it for under 20 bucks). if you didn't own a ps3, uncharted is a great buy as well as Last of Us.

in other news:

ゲームソフト「メタルギア」シリーズで知られる著名ゲームクリエーターの小島秀夫氏が、15日付でコナミデジタルエンタテインメントを退社した。新会社を設立し てゲーム制作を続け、ソニー・コンピュータエンタテインメント(SCE)のゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)」向けなどで販売するとみられる。

Kojima Hideo, a famous video game creator known for the Metal Gear series has left Konami Digital Entertainment as of December 15th. He will form a new company where he will continue developing video games, with plans to release on platforms such as Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE)'s PlayStation.

コナミ時代の部下と新会社を設立する。代表作「メタルギア」シリーズの版権はコナミ側に残るため、新作の開発に着手する。最新作についてはSCEと最終交渉し ており、PS向けに優先販売するとみられる。

He is forming the new company with people who worked under him at Konami. The rights to the Metal Gear series, for which he is most known, remain at Konami, so he will begin working on an all new title. Final negotiations with SCE are underway for this new game to debut on PlayStation.

小島氏は「マリオ」で知られる任天堂の宮本茂氏と並ぶ世界的なゲーム開発者。緻密なストーリー作りや映画の手法も取り入れた映像表現で評価が高い。今年9月に 発売したゲームソフト「メタルギアソリッド5」は世界で500万本を超える大ヒットを記録した。

Kojima is a world famous video game developer on the same level as Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario. He is highly praised for his elaborate stories and use of movie techniques to create impressive visual imagery. Metal Gear Solid V was released this September and became a massive hit, selling over 5 million copies around the world. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157339

Guest davidwhangchoi

Breaking New on Kojima 5 minutes ago:

update:

press release

Originally Posted by PR

Sony Computer Entertainment Enters Into An Agreement With Kojima Productions

The First Software Title Created by the Newly Formed Kojima Productions will be Console Exclusive to PlayStation®4 System

TOKYO, Dec. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that it has signed an agreement with Kojima Productions, a newly formed studio by the acclaimed game designer Hideo Kojima, to develop its first software title as a console exclusive to the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system.

"PlayStation®'s history is one of game innovation and great new franchises," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "Hideo Kojima has been a huge part of that history, and we are therefore delighted that he has chosen to bring his brand new project to life in partnership with PlayStation. We look forward to working with him on an exciting new game and warmly welcome him to the PlayStation family."

"I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio, and I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years," said Hideo Kojima, Game Designer, Kojima Productions. "I cannot wait to deliver, with PlayStation, a game that will become a compelling franchise."

SCE will continue to expand the world of PS4 to deliver entertainment experiences that are only possible on PlayStation.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Kojima's next title will also be on PC as well. good news for those who may not have a PS4.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Kojima's next title will also be on PC as well. good news for those who may not have a PS4.

Or those of us that do, but would rather pay on PC.

Personally? I'm hoping it follows from P.T., minus Norman Reedus and the Silent Hill name.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Been busy on NeoGaf the last few nights but going back to normal gaming. Need to finish the main quest to Fallout 4. I've been stuck in an endless loop of the same side quests for a week for the brotherhood. clear out areas of bad guys and find same tech and doing the minutemen quests as well. (just to discover new areas on the map).

Guest davidwhangchoi

this is more of a collector's item than actual gaming.

Devil's Third is a Wii U game directed by Tomonobu Itagaki the infamous director of Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden:

the game released the past week and bc of the low expectation plus Nintendo trying to distance itself from the game. only 420 copies were ordered for inventory @ gamestop for the whole United States. it's sold out at bestbuy amazon and Gamstop. (rumor is Gamestop may be another shipment as they got with xenoblade/metroid prime trilogy)

instantly this has become a collectors item and prices are going 150-200.

being a goofball, i just ordered one randomly @ gamestop thinking i can always return it during the holiday return period if i change my mind. most gamestop retailers got only one copy per store. meaning they gut open the last copy for distplay. so ordering it online was the mot likely the only way to get one sealed.

here's a destuctroid article:

http://www.destructoid.com/is-itagaki-s-career-in-aaa-development-over--326312.phtml

came in the mail today, might be a piece of gaming history one day or just some landfill

post-14069-0-62472600-1450393835_thumb.jpeg

post-14069-0-60626600-1450393913_thumb.jpeg

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

if anyone likes the ace attorney series: there's a version w/ animals heheh (i think someone posted this it way back bc it sounds familiar)

Aviary Attorney

coming to steam dec 19th

also looks like New Kingdom Hearts Trailer is being revealed soon: people are screaming for Star Wars and Frozen to be in it.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

*sigh*

We finally get a non-Musou Gundam game coming out outside of Asia and it's for the Vita.

That said... I really liked the Vs series back in the PS2 days, but I genuinely do not get the love for the newer Extreme Vs series.

Well that's partially good news, I had a bunch of fun with Extreme vs and FB (even if I was terrible at them :lol: ). I doubt I'll be buying a vita just to play this but it's a good stepping point to get a possible PS4 release sent here in the future.

Guest davidwhangchoi

more FF7 goodness:

Regarding Voices…

Nomura: “Basically, it will be fully voiced. We still haven’t decided the voices of the characters that weren’t in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.”

So does that mean dating events will be fully voiced?

Kitase: “It would be impossible not to. (Laughs.) However, since it’s different from that time and social situation, we need implement the reproduction of original events carefully.”

Nomura: “Ah, the Honey Bee Inn… (Laughs.)”

Is the map open world?

Kitase: “We cant’ say anything yet, but we don’t plan on fussing about whether it’s a so-called open-world or sandbox. But since Nomura is more focused on the creation of the scenery, we want to express an environment character actions affect the scenery.”

Will there be mini-games?

Kitase: “We want to put the mini-games remain favorable among fans in as much as possible.”

Nomura: “There were a lot of things from big to small, but we need to consider a bit whether it’s necessary to create them all with the latest technology.”

Kitase: “The development staff is also thinking about what to do with the mini-games.”

How’s production going?

Kitase: “We’re at the stage where we can say we’re finally getting started. We have ideas regarding battles, too, but it will take time to drop them into the actual game.”

Final Fantasy VII‘s 20th anniversary is in 2017. Can we expect anything for its original release date on January 31?

Kitase: “I can’t say anything at the moment. (Laughs.)”

Nomura: “Personally, I’m waiting for Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 and World of Final Fantasy in 2016. I think when they’re completed, I’ll be able to release new information.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fan...KvUqjQpHlc6.99

You know, Gundam Build Fighters is exactly the kind of anime networks buy for Saturday mornings or weekday afternoons. Bandai should just shop Build Fighters around and bring over the upcoming PS4 Gundam Breaker instead.

That's too good of an idea, it would never work :p .

Guest davidwhangchoi

picked up Ys: VI for 5.99 and Trails FC for 9.99 from steam winter sale. nothing else seems like a good deal

maybe grandia II anniver ed for 9.99

and Way of the Samurai 4 12.49

I grabbed Pillars of Eternity for $17.99. There's a couple of games on my wishlist that are around half off, but I'll wait a couple of days. The sale's on until the 4th, and people might gift me Steam Wallet cards.

EDIT: I bought Sword Coast Legends over the weekend, and the Winter Sale price is the same, so I think it's worth mentioning. I was a huge fan of Neverwinter Nights back in the day (although I never finished... man that game was long!). Sword Coast Legends reminds me a lot of Neverwinter Nights. You have the same sort of top-down camera (although you can't change the angle in SCL, just the distance). It's still got the hot bar on the bottom, and it's got the same "click to move/interact/attack" gameplay.

Where SCL differs from NWN, and where I think a lot of the early complaints came from, is that NWN adhered to the D&D rules (3e). If you were familiar with the pen and paper game you already knew how to build and develop your character, from the initial point buy to allocating skill points to selecting feats to planning ahead for prestige classes. All the races and classes in the Player's Handbook were playable.

SCL goes in a little bit different direction. It's sort of a D&D lite mixed with more videogame elements. You still choose a race, class, and now a background, and you still start with a point buy. The game engine still takes those factors into account and still uses virtual dice rolls for calculating success/failures/hits/damage/etc. However, character progression doesn't follow the current 5e rules. Instead, at each level you get three ability points to spend These points can be used to buy abilities from different skill trees. As far as I can tell some of the abilities are derived from 5e class features, while some are new. On a similar note, abilities that might be per encounter or x per day are instead on cool down timers. To me, these changes are a two-edged sword; it's not a faithful translation of the tabletop rules the way NWN was, but I think it's more accessible to players who might not be familiar with the tabletop rules.

It's also a little disappointing that all the PHB classes and races aren't available. For classes, you can only pick from Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, and Wizard. I can see leaving out Sorcerer and Warlock- with the modified system there might not be as big a difference between them and Wizard as in the pen and paper game. But the lack of Bard, Druid, and Monk is a little inexcusable. For races, you can be Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, or Dwarf with the attendant subraces, but Gnomes, Dragonborn, Tieflings, and Half-Orcs are all missing.

Like NWN, SCL allows for custom adventure modules, extending the game's replayability.

When all is said and done, I am a bit disappointed that SCL is lacking some of the content from the pen and paper game. But the thing is, while I can't play as a dragonborn monk, a gnome druid, a tiefling bard, etc, I'm having a good time with the human fighter I rolled. At the end of the day, I think that's the most important thing- it's a fun game, and worth picking up if you can get it on a Steam sale.

Edited by mikeszekely

Guest davidwhangchoi

if you get extra in your wallet, 2-3 gms that i got that aren't well known but are really great:

1. Why I'm Dead at Sea
  2. Kentucky Route Zero
  3. The Legend of Heros: Trails in the Sky

i'm going to quote from neogaf:

Here's a game I'm currently playing on Steam that is way too overlooked for its own good:

header.jpg?t=1446262310

Why Am I Dead At Sea

I'm about 3 hours in right now, and it's been getting very gripping. This game obviously has some Earthbound inspiration, but to explain it briefly, you're a ghost on a ship who is brought to consciousness by a spiritually gifted passenger on the ship to help prevent some sort of terrible occurrence that he senses is approaching the residents of the ship. You can possess people, but only if you know them well and reach a level of understanding how they work. Come to completely understand a person, and you can take full control of them. Each person you possess has a different personality obviously and recognition/relationship with others to allow different dialogue stuff to talk about, but each also has a special ability, ranging from being able to see what's in peoples pockets to being able to tell the tone of the voice someone's voice is in for a line of dialogue (okay, aggravated, hiding something, etc.). Even your spirit self has a special ability to peek into the mindscapes and thoughts of others (which is actually done in a pretty cool way). Featuring multiple endings and branching story possibilities, the game has enjoyable characters, an interesting and twisting story, and actually delivers many unexpected feelings of a range of emotions throughout, and has a really good soundtrack.

And yet it's barely gotten over 1,000 in sales and most don't even know it exists. Deserves WAY more attention.

Here's some screens:

ss_5d592b958958bf262bd23011fc7c36c0f00a6
ss_9c43bdbedf4806f1af43adcbc58d6c66d5a3c
ss_69365d599f60a8c7027e4cb7b265f0a52755e
ss_8b176666e56ec736a9bc9699318e5cfc92813

Kentucky Route Zero

So long as you don't mind waiting another year or two, it's honestly one of the most refreshing and human experiences to come out on Steam. The drama is subdued, driven more by the characters and what they say, or don't say, which makes the choices feel more weighty than deciding if someone lives or dies. Despite this, the world it takes place in is anything but normal, and I'm always pleasantly surprised at what strange places the devs take us to. I won't spoil them though. The sense of awe in discovery is something I think should be saved for the game itself.

If you're a fan of magical realism, literary analysis and slowly paced films, KR0 is the best purchase you can make. Act 4 of 5 is due very soon, and what's already there is quite substantial to ponder over. I'd also recommend picking up the free interlude chapters, available on the official website. Limits & Demonstrations goes in between Act 1 and 2, The Entertainment slides on in nice and cuddly between Act 2 and 3, with Here and There Along the Echo being the current bookend leading us between Act 3 and the eventual Act 4.
Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

hey guys,

not sure if you're into indie games, Kentucky Route Zero, (sorry photos of it wouldn't load yesterday), highly recommend at least previewing it. i can't say enough good things about it. been playing it more than yakuza 5

here's a youtube clip:

more on the game below:

http://kentuckyroutezero.com

Guest davidwhangchoi

Message From Nintendo President 12.25.15

To shareholders and investors:

Since the launch of the Family Computer System (called Nintendo Entertainment System outside Japan) in 1983, Nintendo has been offering the world unique and original entertainment products under the development concept of hardware and software integration. In the field of home entertainment, the video game industry is one of the few industries established in Japan that spread around the world, and Nintendo has established itself as a well-known brand truly representing video game culture throughout the world.

With the belief in our mission to put smiles on people's faces around the world through products and services, we have followed our basic strategy of expanding the gaming population by offering products that can be enjoyed by everyone regardless of age, gender or gaming experience. We now want to take this mission a step further by increasing the number of people who have access to Nintendo’s intellectual property (Nintendo IP).

We are actively offering Nintendo IP in a variety of different ways so that not only current players of our video games but all consumers - including those who used to play but currently do not and even those who have never played our video games before - will also come in contact with Nintendo IP.

For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept and our unique software-led hardware-software integrated business will continue to constitute the core business for Nintendo. For the purpose of maximizing the population that interact with Nintendo IP, we will also enter into the smart device gaming business and aim to generate revenue and profit from it as well as to create synergy with the dedicated video game platform business.

As for other initiatives to use Nintendo IP actively, we launched a new product called amiibo - Nintendo characters that come in figure or card form that work with our video games. They have been well received by many of our consumers. Furthermore, our endeavors will not be limited to video games. We are planning to offer new attractions at theme parks by using Nintendo characters. We will also strive to further increase opportunities for consumers to come in contact with Nintendo characters in their daily lives, such as through visual content and merchandising.

Thus, we are now expanding how we leverage Nintendo IP in various ways beyond our traditional use of them predominantly within the dedicated video game platform business. Furthermore, in our attempt to establish a sustainable and continual relationship with our consumers, we are creating a new membership service called “My Nintendo” and a new account system, which should work as a bridge between our dedicated video game platforms and other devices, or even environments where our consumers can get in touch with Nintendo IP and, thus, will work as a mechanism to maximize the number of people that interact with Nintendo IP.

Nintendo will continue to flexibly transform itself by adapting to changing times while constantly valuing the spirit of originality based on the belief that the “true value of entertainment lies in its uniqueness” - and will continue to provide products and services that people will be surprised and delighted by.

Nintendo intends to make progress with the support and encouragement of its shareholders and investors.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Guys! There is SOMETHING REALLY WRONG with Steam RIGHT NOW!!!:

When you go into 'Account Information' via Steam Client, it leads you to other peoples pages.

I looked at it and there is another guys page named 'minkey314' and it has saved credit card information, which is not mine. I can see his mail address clearly. Also if that random guy has money in Steam Wallet, I think you can spend it too. Mine has $0 at all.

I think big security issue is happening right now. You can check it with Steam Client. I am not gonna upload a screenshot because I dont want to spoil that guys e-mail address or other info.

This is so messed up...

other people are reporting seeing other accounts and can use their steam money.

i only used paypal but this is still disturbing.

call your credit card company if you have it saved on steam

fyi: If you use paypal like I do for steam payments, you can go into your paypal account settings, then click preapproved payments, and find the one for Valve, and then cancel it.

update: Valve finally pulled the plugged as of 4:25pm EST...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have my wife check our statement later, but so far there doesn't seem like there was any unusual activity on my credit card, and I spent all the Steam Wallet credit I had myself.

EDIT: Not sure how bad the issues really was. People could definitely see other people's account info pages, but that doesn't have your whole credit card number. And despite some people reporting they had stuff added to their cart that they themselves hadn't added and rampant speculation that people could spend other people's Steam Wallet balances, I've yet to hear anyone actually say that someone else spent their Wallet balance or used their card. Valve's official word:

We believe no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information and no additional action is required by users.

Edited by mikeszekely

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have my wife check our statement later, but so far there doesn't seem like there was any unusual activity on my credit card, and I spent all the Steam Wallet credit I had myself.

EDIT: Not sure how bad the issues really was. People could definitely see other people's account info pages, but that doesn't have your whole credit card number. And despite some people reporting they had stuff added to their cart that they themselves hadn't added and rampant speculation that people could spend other people's Steam Wallet balances, I've yet to hear anyone actually say that someone else spent their Wallet balance or used their card. Valve's official word:

during the fiasco, i was able to see 5 different accounts w/ all their phone numbers and e-mail addresses and steam wallet amounts before they plugged it up a few people checked out. check out reddit. a guy has screen grab of his funds being withdrawn. looks like for some, they weren't able to check out.

anyways be safe and delete any sensitive info on file w/ steam. keep track of any suspicious activity.

Basically people on GAF were seeing each others account and corresponding to delete info. what happened was when you log in to try to access your personal info and try to delete it another account shows up.

and you can control delete change their info,

alot of people including myself were trying to change their own personal info:

when you log in you see your own account but when you try and delete any of your info, once you click delete you're taken to someone else's account and you realize you're no longer altering your own stuff but someone else's account after trying to press delete to your own account.

i

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

been re-playin 999 and vlr at night before going to bed, some teaser for the third game dropped on the 22nd that got me to pick back up the titles to refresh myself.