All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

So Best Buy apparently has the PSTV for twenty bucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ps-tv-hardware-vte1001-multi/6731028.p?id=1219238018522

If anyone needs another box hanging from their television, well, the price is right.

i brought a pstv bundle with a dual shock 3 and 8 mb card last year with lego and slycooper for 50. just opened it up, still downloading some games.

Ugh. I bought one at full price when they were first released, figuring that I could use a box for Netflix in the bedroom, and that the fact that it could play some Vita games and stream from the PS4 was just cake.

Well, despite the fact that there's a Vita Netflix app, here we are like a year (or is it two?) after the fact, and the stupid thing still doesn't do Netflix. In fact, Sony's all but abandoned support for the Vita. PS4 to PSTV streaming turned out to be crap. Two of the Vita games I own aren't playable on the PSTV. Plus more and more obscure JPRGs that were becoming the only thing worth owning a Vita for are starting to turn up in Steam.

I guess, if you know what you're getting into, there are probably worse ways to spend $20 (especially with Persona 4 on sale). But it's easily the worst $100 I've ever spent.

Steam sale!

Yeah... I'm hoping their Christmas sale is better. Most of the stuff with really good discounts is stuff I already own, and there's a lot of stuff I want but they're only 20-30% off. So far I just picked up Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete, Republic Commando, and Battlefront II. I might pick up MGR: Revengeance later.

not sure if anyone cares but

Contra Shattered Soldier PS2 classic is on sale for $1.50 on PSN (for ps plus users), grabbed it with persona golden as a dollar fifty is nothing and i never played the ps2 contra.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/contra-shattered-soldier-(ps2-classic)/cid=UP9000-NPUD20306_00-0000000000000000

I love Shin Contra; it's a real ball buster too. I still play my original game CD on my PS3...

I decided to order an Nvidia Shield today. I'd previously had the original Shield, which was a pretty neat if niche device, and the Shield Tablet, which I thought was actually kind of junk. I've wanted a dedicated Netflix/Amazon Prime/Google Play box in my bedroom anyway, the Shield's been getting pretty good reviews, and $149 and a free remote works for me. I'll let you know how I like it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I decided to order an Nvidia Shield today. I'd previously had the original Shield, which was a pretty neat if niche device, and the Shield Tablet, which I thought was actually kind of junk. I've wanted a dedicated Netflix/Amazon Prime/Google Play box in my bedroom anyway, the Shield's been getting pretty good reviews, and $149 and a free remote works for me. I'll let you know how I like it.

what improvements does the new shield have. appletv forth gen 64gb was on sale today for 150, kinda curious how it apple will do as a game machine.

what improvements does the new shield have. appletv forth gen 64gb was on sale today for 150, kinda curious how it apple will do as a game machine.

Well, the new Shield isn't a handheld like the original, nor is it a tablet. It's a console with Android TV. It's running Nvidia's Tegra X1 processor, and the benchmarks put it at roughly double the K1 that was in the Shield Tablet.

I sort of feel like comparing it to an Apple TV is kind of an apples to oranges (no pun intended) comparison, despite Google marketing their Nexus Player Android TV box as a sort of Apple TV competitor. Apple TV strikes me as a media player that's dipping its toes into gaming while the Shield, like the PS3/4/Xbox 360/One is a game console that doubles as a media player. I mean, the Apple TV comes with a Siri remote, the Shield comes with a controller. In addition to regular Android gaming, Nvidia has their own store of Tegra apps that are, for the most part, PC ports. Plus, if you have an Nvidia GPU, you can stream from your PC to a Shield (which worked great for me on the original Shield and terrible on the Shield Tablet). I hear Nvidia's also running a subscription service, similar to PlayStation Now, where you can play PC games from the cloud. I think a few month trial is included, so I'll probably try it out and report back. Meanwhile, I don't even think Apple has a first-party controller for the Apple TV.

As for media well... I guess it depends on what you're into. While I've had three iPads, I was never heavy into Apple's ecosystem. I mostly use platform-agnostic stuff like playing my own mp3 and mp4 files, watching stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime, or listening to Pandora. For me, at least, there isn't a compelling reason to go with an Apple TV over any other streaming box (like a Roku) aside from the promise of games. And to be honest, since Jobs died Apple's been more imitator than innovator, and to me they've lost a lot of their appeal. My current iPad, the first iPad Air, will probably be the last Apple product I buy.

Meanwhile, I've been using Android phones since Verizon was pushing the original Droid hard to make up for not having an iPhone. I'm not saying it's perfect, but one advantage that Android has had is that it's a little more open than Apple's stuff. Android's a good platform for retro gaming, with emulators for everything from the original NES to the PSP.

I mean, to each his own, I guess, but I personally wouldn't pay $150 for a 64GB Apple TV that only comes with a remote. I did pay $150 for a 16GB Shield that comes with a solid controller and got the remote for free, though. And if 16GB isn't enough, the Shield supports microSD cards.

On a related subject, I've been eyeing the Steam Controller and PC-to-TV box. Anyone have any opinions on them? My main concern is that my TV will have a slow response time. Does anyone know if these kinds of devices are able to compensate for that?

I haven't tried with a Steam OS unit or the cheap Steam Link, nor have I tried the Steam controller. I did, awhile back, try streaming from my gaming PC to a Mac mini hooked up to my living room TV with an Xbox 360 controller. I doubt the problem with be your TV's response time; for streaming setups it's usually network issues (speed, congestion, interference, etc). That said, I was able to play racing games (GRID 2) and action games (Arkham Origins and Tomb Raider) with no discernible issues. I won't say, especially if you're sensitive toward that sort of thing, that you'll never notice lag but it wasn't enough to screw with my rhythm in Akrham Origins. I'd say that I've found Steam's in-home streaming to be among the better streaming solutions.

EDIT: Forgot to put in a link to Maximum PC's review of the Shield... so here you go, David!

Edited by mikeszekely

Guest davidwhangchoi

i took a look at the link, it seems interesting. i think apple has such a large user base so apple tv game development may take off. the apple remote is considered it's controller :p

yeah, if my gpu's were nvidia (which i wanted but they were OOS) it'll be more appealing. yeah, let us know once you get it, i'm curious about the streaming capabilities.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

anyone buy any good games black friday?

i picked up that scary movie game "Until Dawn" for ps4 for 15.99 (after GCU discounts)

nvidia shield looks like it's a hot item, i see a lot of interest in it on slickdeals. they had it on sale at bestbuy, newegg and gamestop for black friday.

anyone buy any good games black friday?

i picked up that scary movie game "Until Dawn" for ps4 for 15.99 (after GCU discounts)

nvidia shield looks like it's a hot item, i see a lot of interest in it on slickdeals. they had it on sale at bestbuy, newegg and gamestop for black friday.

Nothing for consoles, but I picked up MGS: Revengeance and Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete on Steam, plus I re-bought Battlefront II, Republic Commando, and the original Mass Effect just to have digital versions in my Steam/Origin libraries.

The problem with the Shield deal is that Nvidia is still promoting it, and I think it's still in Gamestop and Best Buy's Cyber Monday adds, but all three of the US retailers running this deal are totally out of the remotes. So you can either buy a Shield and not get a remote, or you can buy the Shield and get the remote for free but not get the $50 off from another retailer like Amazon.

Plus, it doesn't look like brick and mortar stores are carrying much inventory. None of the Gamestops in my area have any Shield stuff at all. Best Buy had a whole pile of the 500GB Shield (and controllers), but it doesn't look like they actually stock the cheaper 16GB Shield in stores in the first place. And again, no remotes.

Well, I got my order in on Saturday morning at Gamestop, and I'd say it was within an hour or two that I got an email saying my order would be delayed, which I don't really care about. I can live with the delay; I'm just hoping they don't outright cancel my order.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i got back my copy of yakuza 3,4 and dead souls that i lent out. i'm going to play them till 5 comes out. well, i suspect they'll announce something at the PSX conference coming up. i hope the release is a tie in with an announcement to another yakuza title coming to the west.

Kojima not being allowed to attend the game awards is just bizarre to me, it's not like Konami owns the award show..... right?

It has to do with the contract he signed to work for Konami and lawyers getting involved. Its likely he has some clause in there that says he can't personally accept awards from anyone for work done for Konami without their permission. I've seen stranger stuff written into contracts.

I can understand that Kojima wouldn't be able to accept the reward but this was a public event, it's not like they can stop him from going altogether. He's on "extended vacation" anyways so why not show up and have some fun. Ehh maybe he wanted to make Konami look worse by not going (mission accomplished!).

Guest davidwhangchoi

i got back my copy of yakuza 3,4 and dead souls that i lent out. i'm going to play them till 5 comes out. well, i suspect they'll announce something at the PSX conference coming up. i hope the release is a tie in with an announcement to another yakuza title coming to the west.

YEAAAAAAAAAH Yakuza 0 is coming to the west for PS4 :wub:

lBPI5ez.gif

official trailer

and Yakuza 5 is finally announced coming out dec 8th :lol:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

final announcement closing the PSX show

Paragon, moba game by epic exclusive to PS4 and PC

:rolleyes: Because the world needs another moba, amirite?

Honestly, if anyone here is excited for this game, awesome. I sincerely hope you enjoy it. But moba is pretty much my absolute least-favorite genre.

Well, a lot of what I liked at PSX was stuff that was already known. The only surprise that I'm genuinely psyched for is Ace Combat 7.