All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

The more I see and read about that game the more I love it. The Evil Within will probably be the first game to make me consider an upgrade to a next gen console, hopefully it'll have a fancy bundle with a PS4. Hmm, maybe I'll dig up a gamecube and play REmake in the meantime.

They might have. What I do recall them saying is that they more or less didn't care about making the game playable with lesser hardware, that they figured people who wanted to play it would upgrade. Seemed like, even then, they were making excuses for shoddy PC development.

When a 780 ti staggers on ultra settings on a game that doesn't look nearly as good as other titles (Witcher 2, Crysis, Metro LL), it's clearly an issue on the code end of things, and (hopefully) not a hardware performance deficiency. Still, I'd feel the pain if I spent 800 dollars an a GPU and couldn't keep things running 60 fps at ultra.

I just finished Wolfenstein: New Order. Very good game and was a blast to play. Its also very much a throwback FPS with an extensive single player campaign that reminded me alot of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.

I have some thoughts on the story, but won't go into them as I really don't want to spoil it. Needless to say it will be very interesting to see where the story goes from here.

So... I picked up Mario Kart 8.

Pros: It looks fantastic. You can change the view on the Gamepad, allowing it to mirror the TV when your wife wants to watch whatever's grabbed her fancy (mine just discovered some show where Gordon Ramsey yells at aspiring chefs), or if the TV's all yours you can use it to display the map. There's new items, including a sound box thingy that, if timed properly, will destroy an incoming blue shell. Tons of characters and vehicle customizations. And if Mario Kart 8 doesn't seem worth the price of admission on it's own, if you register it and your Wii U on Club Nintendo you can pick from one of 4 or 5 games to receive as a free download. I took Windwaker HD, since I was on the fence about whether or not to buy it in the first place. It was a no-brainer freebie for me.

Cons: What character you pick, what vehicle you pick, what wheels you pick, and what glider you pick all affect your overall performance in different ways... but the game doesn't give you any indication of what that might be. Veteran players probably remember that lighter characters are slower but have better acceleration, and heavier characters are the opposite, but if you want to know the advantages of the standard kart over the standard bike (let alone the advantages of the standard bike vs the sports bike), how slim wheels are different than wooden ones, or why you might want to go with the parafoil over the standard glider, it's off to the internet. Also, the Gamepad doesn't feel very comfortable for this game... does anyone have any opinions on the Pro controller for the Wii U?

Mixed: The new anti-grav sections don't really feel like they added anything more than the underwater sections or the glider sections did before. Most of the classic tracks have been altered to include underwater/antigrav/glider areas, which can really change how you play that track (why avoid traffic on Toad'd Turnpike when you can drive along the wall?). Classic tracks from Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart Wii don't feel all that classic. You have to have a Wii U to play this game. I mean, Nintendo makes great games, and that's why I keep buying their hardware, but when every game I own for their home console has either "Mario" or "Zelda" in the title, it's hard not to wish that they'd go the Sega route and release software for other consoles.

On the whole, I'd say it's worth buying if you already have a Wii U, but I wouldn't buy a Wii U to play it.

I have a wii u, but every mario kart I've played in the past has been a strictly "party" or "get together" game. Does MK8 have an interesting and/or worthwhile single player mode? I don't want to get it just for it to end up collecting dust till friends come over.

I have a wii u, but every mario kart I've played in the past has been a strictly "party" or "get together" game. Does MK8 have an interesting and/or worthwhile single player mode? I don't want to get it just for it to end up collecting dust till friends come over.

Just unlockables. There's at least 14 locked characters, and I've got 8 of them from winning all the 50cc cups (don't know if it's necessary to get 3 stars on them all, but I did anyway). Plus, you can collect coins while driving, and they go toward a cumulative total that unlocks vehicles, wheels, and gliders at certain increments. For me, that's enough to keep me playing for a few days solo, but your mileage may vary.

i'm thinking of getting a wii u but not for mariokart but for xeno...X... whatever the name is.

Do you like Nintendo's regular 1st party fare (Mario, Zelda, etc)? If not, you might be buying a console for just that game.

Seriously, I've had a Wii U almost since launch, and until today I only had New Super Mario U and Super Mario 3D World. I picked up Mario Kart 8, registered it with Club Nintendo, and downloaded Windwaker HD.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Do you like Nintendo's regular 1st party fare (Mario, Zelda, etc)? If not, you might be buying a console for just that game.

Seriously, I've had a Wii U almost since launch, and until today I only had New Super Mario U and Super Mario 3D World. I picked up Mario Kart 8, registered it with Club Nintendo, and downloaded Windwaker HD.

i love nintendo games but for single player only.

so the great games in the past like super smash, mario party were for people coming over. i owned mario kart for the ds lite and never got into it as much as i remember it being a friends come over game like golden eye for the n64. so i couldn't get into it and traded it in for another ds game.

i love the zelda, metroid (non first person) star fox franchises and mario but i sorta got sick of mario for a bit. but i don't think i could live without nintendo first party games for long. so i keep peeking over at wii u news. i'm just waiting for a few more titles before taking the plunge (i owned every Nintendo system at one point with the exception to the gameboy micro and virtua boy) in the meantime the 3ds is holding me down.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

i love nintendo games but for single player only.

so the great games in the past like super smash, mario party were for people coming over. i owned mario kart for the ds lite and never got into it as much as i remember it being a friends come over game like golden eye for the n64. so i couldn't get into it and traded it in for another ds game.

i love the zelda, metroid (non first person) star fox franchises and mario but i sorta got sick of mario for a bit. but i don't think i could live without nintendo first party games for long. so i keep peeking over at wii u news. i'm just waiting for a few more titles before taking the plunge (i owned every Nintendo system at one point with the exception to the gameboy micro and virtua boy) in the meantime the 3ds is holding me down.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. Back when the console wars was Nintendo vs. Sega, I was very much in the Nintendo camp. I've owned every Nintendo system except the Virtual Boy (I actually did own a Gameboy Micro), while I my first non-Nintendo system was the first PlayStation. I love Nintendo's franchises, and I keep buying their hardware for those franchises. Thing is, I'm getting tired of buying their hardware just for their franchises. The Wii and the Wii U were both underpowered, gimmicky devices, and Nintendo's online strategies are still a joke. At the end of the day, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a lot happier with it if Mario Kart 8 were on, say, the PlayStation 4 instead on a separate piece of hardware with a large, uncomfortable controller that I only buy software for twice a year.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. Back when the console wars was Nintendo vs. Sega, I was very much in the Nintendo camp. I've owned every Nintendo system except the Virtual Boy (I actually did own a Gameboy Micro), while I my first non-Nintendo system was the first PlayStation. I love Nintendo's franchises, and I keep buying their hardware for those franchises. Thing is, I'm getting tired of buying their hardware just for their franchises. The Wii and the Wii U were both underpowered, gimmicky devices, and Nintendo's online strategies are still a joke. At the end of the day, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a lot happier with it if Mario Kart 8 were on, say, the PlayStation 4 instead on a separate piece of hardware with a large, uncomfortable controller that I only buy software for twice a year.

Truth. I own a Wii that never say ANY playing time and didn't even get unpacked after my move. I wish Nintendo had more of a presence, (sadly) even if just software on a different system.

*never was much of a portable gamer after the original Game Boy - regardless of maker

-b.

I wish Nintendo had more of a presence, (sadly) even if just software on a different system.

Exactly! Nintendo makes great games. I don't think anyone wants to argue that point. But it's becoming increasingly frustrating that those games are married to underpowered hardware with more gimmicks. Because gimmicks lead to less third-party support, and less third-party support leads to fewer non-Nintendo reasons to buy the hardware in the first place.

Honestly, if were Microsoft, I'd have bought Nintendo by now. Great exclusives to sell the Xbox One in the West, use Nintendo's influence and branding to sell Microsoft hardware in Japan.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Oooo i was loyal to Sega until they started screwing me over with the Sega CD then 32x, then Saturn right after... i was like..................... ok, sega whatever, so i skipped the 32x and saturn but got a psone. then n64.

but i was yet still loyal to support the dreamcast which i thought all the games were great (sega made a great collaboration w capcom for code veronica.) too bad it was underpowered and the ps2 just destroyed it. (Nintendo please look at history), then i got a gamecube bc resident evil was coming to it exclusive. 4, zero and one remake were amazing. i got the wii with backwards compatibility and got a wave controller just to play gamecube stuff as xenoblade.

now wii u i'm lookin at you.

*never was much of a portable gamer after the original Game Boy - regardless of maker

-b.

you should give the 3ds a try at least play some of the regular ds titles. it's like nintendo's glory years resurrected on the portable.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I literally bought a wii U for Zelda U. My Wii saw literally zero play time after I purchased a PS3, but it was worth the $250 for Twilight Princess alone. I was in middle school at the time the wii came out, and never before had I been that engrossed in a video game.

Just, the world, the story, and gameplay. Something about it was just so engrossing. The only Zelda I had played before that was wind waker, and the darker, more adult Twilight Princess just appealed so much more. This might be why I didn't enjoy skyward sword as much, since it returned to that "contrasty happy-go-lucky" Hyrule.

If Zelda U looks anything like that promo they were playing during the Wii U's initial launch, it will have been worth it for that alone.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i started to bust out my gamecube games and wavebird controller and playing resident evil remake again on the wii. going to try and beat it. i have a gamecube and found the gameboy player attachment but i yet to use it on my hdtv. damn those original gamecube component cables are expensive.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

The Halo arcade game and some other game are free on the XBone if you have gold. Dark Souls is free on the 360 if you want to smash your face in with a spiked board.

Guest davidwhangchoi

E3 is just around the corner, I wonder what other surprises Nintendo has in store.

i hope Nintendo makes a comeback.

Nintendo isn't going to technically have an event at E3, just like last year. Apparently they're doing the same thing they did last year by having live demos available the week of E3 for people to try out, along with a Nintendo Direct type event, but other than that, once again there won't be a big presentation like Sony and Microsoft. I still love Nintendo games, I just think the Wii-U is pretty stupid personally, everyone complained about the X1 being bundled with useless hardware in the form of Kinect, but I always felt the same way about the Wii-U gamepad, how many games use it for anything genuinely interesting, like something besides a map or inventory? I heard Pikmin 3 used the gamepad for some cool stuff, but overall I just feel the Wii-U is pretty much obsolete save for one or two titles I can't get already on my 2DS. The Wii sold like ice water in Hell due to it suddenly becoming the must have system for casual gamers everywhere, it's gimmicky controllers were fun for many people who don't usually play games, it was kind of a new experience, and for people that were actually into gaming, there were some excellent titles that used the Wii-motes and chucks for some cool stuff, but the gamepad just isn't the same gold mine. And the name, the stupid ass name, anytime I go to get some new games or or anything game related I usually here it, the confusion of casual gamers asking about upgrading their Wiis to a Wii-U, anytime anyone asks about a Wii-U game the cashier has to explain the difference in the consoles, usually leading to complaints, same thing occasionally happens with the DS, 3DS, and now to confuse people more the 2DS. I love Nintendo's game, I grew up on them, I will play them till I die, but I can't deny that they do some incredibly stupid crap, and make some really bizarre choices, as I said I love my 2DS, but I still don't see the Wii-U as interesting. I'm hoping Nintendo finally announces their Zelda for Wii-U at E3, they really need to sell some units, the fact that the Wii-U also gets virtually zero third party support doesn't really help it either, I'll get a Wii-U, one day, I just personally feel that right now a 3DS or 2DS can satiate your Nintendo fix.

Guest davidwhangchoi

well i bit of positive 3ds news, even if it's not for everyone. the original ace attorney trilogy is coming to 3ds via eshop with updated visuals.

i just love anything Ace Attorney :) Please Nintendo have a some great announcement coming up!!!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782680/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trilogy-hd-3ds-north-america

well i bit of positive 3ds news, even if it's not for everyone. the original ace attorney trilogy is coming to 3ds via eshop with updated visuals.

i just love anything Ace Attorney :) Please Nintendo have a some great announcement coming up!!!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782680/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trilogy-hd-3ds-north-america

Yeah, but I wish they were coming out with a physical media copy. I hate how Nintendo ties downloads to hardware instead of your Nintendo Network ID.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah, but I wish they were coming out with a physical media copy. I hate how Nintendo ties downloads to hardware instead of your Nintendo Network ID.

i did my first data transfer today from my zelda oot 3ds to my blk 3ds xl. after the process i was instructed to use the 2gb SD card from the "source" 3ds (zelda) and to take out the "target" 4gb sd card (one in the XL) so now i'm stuck with the 2gb sd card in my 3ds xl. kinda hassle to try to figure out how to get back to using the 4gb card after the data transfer. PSN is much easier to transfer systems...

hmm gotta figure this out...

update: i figured it out/ after transferring from 3ds to 3ds xl you can just copy the sd card to the desk top and move it over to the 4gb sd card. whew! glad it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Any games you guys have been thinking about picking up, but haven't yet? Target's running a deal right now where if you reserve a game, you get $15 off of a game $39.99 and up. Target's reservation cards cost $1, so even if you don't want the game and never pick it up, you're still saving $14. Of course, if you do decide to pick up the game you reserved, you get a $5 gift card if you pick it up within a week of the release, so it's a pretty good deal either way.