I just don't see how it's SOOO much better than the GX-57. Am I missing something here?

It's pretty much the same features with a slightly newer mold (which I do prefer).

100% anime accuracy sculpt including paint coloring? .

Accurate hangar gimmick identical to the 1/1000 2199 model? (Other than the fact that you can't remove the hangar wheel, but you CAN turn the wheel, though)

Fighters are actually in scale with the Yamato unlike the GX-57? (They're actually more in scale with my 1/500 2199 model)

Lighting effects are more accurate to anime, bridge tower lights power off during wave motion gun build up and firing, then come back on once the firing is complete.

(I think) there's also the constant lights on feature when you turn the main power switch on, the sounds of the engine powering up and lighting up the bridge. Bridge lights stay on, and engine lights also stay on and flicker <----Major selling point for me, if true.

Stands for the fighters that allow them to fly in formation beside the Yamato? http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35927&page=57#entry1098415

No shitty tiger stripe weathering that DOESN'T BELONG ON THE HULL OR WAS NEVER IN THE ANIME TO BEGIN WITH? Really, if you like that, great, but I later decided that it just didn't look right and removed mine from my model. I would just rather NOT have to do that outright, and if I WANT weathering, I can always send mine to a modeler that is willing to do it. (For a price, of course) ;)

*Shrugs*

Hey, if you're happy with your GX-57, then I'm honestly happy for you, brother. Me? I'm going to be selling mine here on the forums later this week once I'm done taking pics for my review.

Myself not that fuzzy, got another copy of the 1st 1/500 kit and will build it with the 1/700 lighting kit.

Can't afford to pay because new release because it has x% more accuracy nor do I want as said money can be used elsewhere. It is all fictional after all.

Just my view, ducks and runs.

Finally put it all together and got the batteries in (harder than I thought it'd be, was afraid I was gonna break something or chip some paint).

As long as the ship is switched on, the bridge lights and the engine will stay lit. During the Wave Motion Gun firing sequence, the bridge lights will dim and go out after a certain point. They'll come on again after the gun has discharged.

I'm really happy with this version of the Yamato, but I plan on keeping my GX-57 as well. The GX-64's music selections don't quite strike the same chords with me as the classics on the previous model. In particular, the female vocalist's solo track is not included with the new release. That said, I do prefer the GX-64's sculpt over the GX-57.

It'll be nice to have two beautiful Yamatos on my shelf, representing where we've been.. and where we are now. :)

Edit:

Just discovered that the LEDs will turn themselves off after a few minutes of inactivity. Also, the speaker on the GX-57 is a bit louder.

Edited by Drad

It looks so nice... I've even seemed to have pieced enough tiny white decals/dry transfers from my box to apply those markings. Now its ether winter boots or this? If Nippon Yasan goes below 20,000Y then I'll bite (I know AmiAmi is already there, but they don't declare a lower value or gift, so its an extra $50 bucks in customs on top of the shipping)

Well, I don't know if they will or not, but from what I've seen and heard, once word gets out about this, I think they're going to start selling out. It's up to you, but if I was in your shoes, I'd get this if you can. True, if it sells out enough, Bandai MIGHT rerelease it like they did with the GX-57, but I wouldn't take that chance with this.

With your mad modelling skills (I've seen your work), you could REALLY take this thing to a whole other level, and the best part is, 99% of the work is already done, assembly, paint (It's already the right hull color), and lighting. All you'd need to do is add weathering and decal detailing.

Well, due to the one inch snow we had (Yes, one measly freaking inch :rolleyes: ) and the fact that the temps haven't made it out of the 20's until today, mine will come in the mail either Friday or Saturday. USPS was closed yesterday and is working in limited capacity today. This is what happens when you live in a state that doesn't have much in the way of salt/sand crews, kids. :angry:

Edited by Kyp Durron

Hahaha... I'm in Toronto, we've had our 18th straight day of "Extreme Cold Weather Alert" - last week we had a -20c day with -34c (-29.2F) with the windchill! So no sympathies here. When you get it, can you make sure to take a picture of the top of the rear deck just in front of the engine cone, I'd love to see if they've included any of the panel and slotted details in this area under the catapult. And can you confirm the overall length, I'm getting 42.5cm / 425mm in most places (I think some places must quote the box size) as the case I want to put it in is 44cm / 440mm which will be a tight fit.

Part of me is worried that Bandai will pull a renewal on this toy, remember how they put out the initial 1/500 Yamato (based on the 2199 version) just 2yrs ago - which seems very much detail-wise like this GX-64. Now they have the new and improved 1/500 Yamato kit (also based on the 2199 version) - I would love that kit detail on this toy in 2yrs time. Ah, I'm just trying to justify it... :unsure:

There are definitely some panel lines in front of the engine cone, and under and around the catapults. I'd take a pic, but I don't have anything except my crappy phone camera.

Edited by Drad

Part of me is worried that Bandai will pull a renewal on this toy, remember how they put out the initial 1/500 Yamato (based on the 2199 version) just 2yrs ago - which seems very much detail-wise like this GX-64. Now they have the new and improved 1/500 Yamato kit (also based on the 2199 version) - I would love that kit detail on this toy in 2yrs time. Ah, I'm just trying to justify it... :unsure:

I can just about tell you for a fact, there ain't going to be a renewal, the GX-57 would have been it, but then the 2199 series came out and all, so they felt they had to make one of the 2199 version.

BTW, long story short, my package came to the post office and stated on the tracking ready for pick up, I did, I've I've spent the last two hours being blown away by this thing. wm cheng, I swear to you, get this sonofabitch, because it's a better quality model than the GX-57, I'm NOT KIDDING.

I'll post a few pics in the next 30 minutes, but I'm telling you, when word gets out, this thing is going to sell out. I think the only reason it hasn't is because people already have the GX-57, and are hesitant to take the plunge. And I can understand that, but I've always liked the 2199 sculpt much more than the GX-57's sculpt.

I don't normally try to convince people to spend money, but I will be putting up my GX-57 this weekend for only $120 because I took the stupid tiger stripe weathering off mine and panel lined the hull with a Grey Gundam marker. (Looks much better)

That, and this thing makes it look like crap, IMHO.

Edited by Kyp Durron

I'm awaiting your pictures with baited breath! Yeah, I hated the GX-57 sculpt, where did they come up with that "wide-mouthed" wave motion gun port?! I thought their 1/500 scale 2199 model was it 2yrs ago too, but now we have a much improved 1/500 scale model. Why do you think there will be no other 2199 renewal toy? Is there going to be another 2199 series - Comet Empire? The "renewal" toy GX-71 could come out to celebrate that series... unless you know something... I'd love to know as I don't follow this series as much.

I just simply don't see them coming out with the same sculpt, but more hull detail, that's what the new 1/500 is for, IMO. And the reason they did that? Well, when I got the 1/1000 kit, I was ASTONISHED at the increased level of detail on such a much smaller scale that made the original 1/500 look bland. Bandai knew it too and decided to come out with a 1/500 with the expected detail.

That, and you have to remember, the 2010 "1/500" kit was 1/500 alright....but to the original anime Yamato's 263 meter length! Not the 2199's 333 meters. Oops....

The new 1/500 kit is much larger than the first 1/500 because it's 1/500 is scaled to the 333 meter 2199 like it should have been in the first place.

Going to sift through some of the quick pics I took be right back! ;)

Side View :

post-4560-0-86428500-1391126425_thumb.jpg

Deck panel lining details :

post-4560-0-15210100-1391126489_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-23523700-1391126494_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-27721500-1391126539_thumb.jpg

Catapult detail, yes the catapult deck rooms and windows are molded in nicely :)

post-4560-0-85100400-1391126604_thumb.jpg

GX 57's AA guns vs GX-64's AA guns :

post-4560-0-98657700-1391126665_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-30837800-1391126697_thumb.jpg

I think we know who the winner is here, right? :p

GX-57's Bridge vs GX-64's Bridge :

post-4560-0-11436400-1391127014_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-29494800-1391127031_thumb.jpg

Gee Wally, I wonder who won that one? :lol:

And unlike the GX-57, the GX 64's guns can be positioned perfectly level for a straight broadside :

post-4560-0-43720300-1391127294_thumb.jpg

Another thing I like is the detachable wings, they are grey hull colored on the top, and red on the bottom with the bottom half of the hull, very nice effect and I think also accurate to the anime.

The fighters attach to the stand via small pegs (there's also the same pegs on the catapult arms and hangar bay bottom door), I can litterally turn the empty stand over and shake it and they will not come off. The fighters also have their own clear wire stands so they can be positioned in flight around the Yamato, which is a really nice touch.

When you turn the Yamato on, you hear the computer radar systems come online and the bridge lights and engines come on and stay on for a few minutes before going out due to inactivity.

The turrets can be rotated either way via a wheel intergrated into the hull's observation deck on the starboard side I think this was a feature the BPX-01 Yamato had as well :

post-4560-0-00545200-1391131688_thumb.jpg

QC wise, I am VERY happy and that's saying something, as I'm damned picky. Bandai hit this motherf*cker out of the park, best Yamato release ever, and THE DEFINITIVE Yamato as this bad boy is 100% accurate to the anime. They used the anime's CGI files, and the 2199 series director oversaw this model's production and it shows, IMHO.

Bottom line, as Maddox might say, buy this now or go to HELL. :lol:

ANY pics you guys want/need let me know.

Edited by Kyp Durron

Whoa!!! I almost bit the bullet, but shipping from Nippon Yasan was going to be 7,500Y via EMS or 7,300 Eco Registered SAL (isn't that a bit high?!) - I was expecting 4,500Y to be the top end - that's over 30,000Y before I get hit with customs & duties. Ami Ami won't calculate the shipping until after you order it... I don't want to commit and be surprised like NY. Where did you guys order it and how much was shipping / to where?

HLJ is 3,860Y for EMS - but their at 26,000Y so that puts them at 30,000Y or just slightly under also.

Edited by wm cheng

Nippon Yasan is 1530 yen more without shipping than Ami-Ami.

Payment method: PayPal
Shipping method: EMS to United States
Shipping fee: 4560
Store Credit: -81
TOTAL: 25449 JPY
Paid: -25449

^What I paid via AmiAmi.

25449 Japanese Yen equals
247.6697 US Dollar
Edited by Kyp Durron

Thanks,

I've e-mailed AmiAmi about the shipping fees (I hate that they don't give you an shipping cost before you order it) - I hope they get back to me with the same 4,560 (which is less than 7,500 from NY). So it looks like NY is actually 4,470Y more assuming I get the same shipping rate as you did from Ami Ami. I even checked Amazon.com which as it for $224.30usd, but they charge $20.66 shipping + $30.06 import fees which comes out to $275.02usd which works out to $310cdn (again within a few dollars of the NY with the outrageous shipping fees) and all this is before my $50 customs and duties that Canada will slap on (although all my stuff from NY has snuck though without it, but they are the only store).

Man! Just when I thought I was convinced... the price goes up - argh!

Whoa!!! I almost bit the bullet, but shipping from Nippon Yasan was going to be 7,500Y via EMS or 7,300 Eco Registered SAL (isn't that a bit high?!) - I was expecting 4,500Y to be the top end - that's over 30,000Y before I get hit with customs & duties. Ami Ami won't calculate the shipping until after you order it... I don't want to commit and be surprised like NY. Where did you guys order it and how much was shipping / to where?

HLJ is 3,860Y for EMS - but their at 26,000Y so that puts them at 30,000Y or just slightly under also.

Are you in a rush to get it? Stick it on the boat...it'll take 3 months to get to you but it's 4400Y.

Normally I'm not in a rush, but 4400Y is usually what I pay for EMS on something like this - not 3 months?! AmiAmi gave Kyp EMS for 4560... I think NY is tying to hose me here - unless there something special about sending it to Canada (other than our great customs/duties/taxes).

ANY pics you guys want/need let me know.

Can I get a front and rear 3/4 view? 3/4 top down, 3/4 side, and 3/4 bottom up. With the whole ship in frame if possible.

One thing I like about the 1/500 kit and GX-64 (basically the 2199 Yamato form) is the shape of the bow and wave motion gun. As well as the mid-section bulge. It just looks right in every way.

One thing I like about the 1/500 kit and GX-64 (basically the 2199 Yamato form) is the shape of the bow and wave motion gun. As well as the mid-section bulge. It just looks right in every way.

I agree with you on that, definitely. I've read that the designers who worked on Yamato toys and models in the past have said that the Yamato's proportions and lines are difficult to capture in three dimensions with respect to the animation. With this 2199 version, I think they've finally done it. Did it take a while? Yeah. Decades.

But it's finally here. :)

Edited by Drad

If you look up pics of the 1/700 special DVD box model by Bandai, you'll see A LOT of similarities between it, and the 2199 version.

video128.JPG

Look at the first illustration, the 2199 version also follows that design philosophy, so it will look good from the 3/4 views. ;)

Edited by Kyp Durron