What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Just finished rewatching "GaoGaiGar" and started up "Betterman" for the first time, in between bouts of "Samurai Jack". Rewatched ALL of "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" before that.

Not sure what I'll watch next. I never got far in "Eureka 7" so maybe I'll sit down with that.

Mai Hime is not your typical high school anime. Here is a plot of the story:

High school girls discover secret powers.

High school gets attacked by monsters.

High schools girls use secret powers to slay monsters.

Girls became good friends and form group (Hime Rangers) to protect the school......

.......Then the plot gets a sad and tragic twist......

Girls discover they must battle each other for a "grand prize."

If a girl loses the battle or her life, then the one she love dies as well.

In the end, there can be only ONE hime!

Body count and destruction goes up in the second half the series.

I was watching Gundam AGE till about the end of the second generation. Has it got better/picked up from there, and is it worth the revisit?

The third generation has a Kira "Jesus" Yamato gundam pilot who has a no kill policy and prefers to talk opponents out of fighting him. Or at least that's how some people see him. :p

I started Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne . I was expecting a generic circa 2012 fan service show with some mech a elements but thus far I'm surprised as to how well the show balances mech, comedy, and other contemporary tropes.

... and Madoka Kyouno is just such a good upbeat and upstanding girl !

MARU! :p

Edited by grss1982

Watching Death Note on DVD and Kokoro Connect online. So far so good.

The last 2 chapters of Muv Luv Total Eclipse have been pretty bad.

A lot of fanservice of the T&A variety and not much else. The whole 'deserted island' thing never really works for me

• 2 weeks later...

Shuffle....a good anime but got weird in the second half. What started as a light-hearted romantic comedy turns into a dramatic tragedy then back to a comedy. A rollercoaster ride alright...

I'm on the second disk of "Speed Grapher", from the name I was not expecting much but the show is pretty decent. I'm hoping it does not lose focus or have a stupid ending, but good so far.

(not anime, but TCM had a Akira Kurisawa film festival I taped a while back, they were all great - currently finishing up Seven Samurai, the movie just keeps getting better every time I see it)

Started watching Arakawa Under the Bridge. Incredibly random sense of humour. Reminds me a bit of Bakemonogatari (well it is made by Shaft and a lot of the seeiyus are the same).

Muv Luv Total Eclipse finally had some combat yesterday

The railgun they tested was pretty sweet and sure seems like an effective weapon against the BETA

I was mildly interested in Muv Luv , but the pacing is not good. Some episodes spend way too much time trying to set up a romance between the male character and the other one. The fact that they decided to replace her, who was shown to be a relative bad-ass, with a self-hating half Japanese guy with a superiority complex just makes me care even less about this show.

I was mildly interested in Muv Luv , but the pacing is not good. Some episodes spend way too much time trying to set up a romance between the male character and the other one. The fact that they decided to replace her, who was shown to be a relative bad-ass, with a self-hating half Japanese guy with a superiority complex just makes me care even less about this show.

The series did have a couple of episodes were the jingoism, national stereotyping were getting a bit too bad for my taste too, but they have toned it down a notch and the last episodes have been back to focusing on the combat/mecha side of things more. As a plus, I've also read that the creator of Muv Luv had the director replaced, so as from episode 10 there is a new guy in charge. Which will hopefully help with the pacing issues you've mentioned.

Here's a breakdown of recent anime I have watched...

Princess Monoke- This is actually the third time I have watched it. The first time was years ago during its theatrical release. To be honest I knew it was something special, but it also left me a little disturbed. It was a time when I was just being my immersion into anime and I wasn't expecting the level of violence, and some of imagry shook me. Man there was so much I missed and didn't understand back then! Originally I was so focused on wondering if the main character can cure his curse I never noticed all the subplots and symbolism. I think I finally understand the films true message. Its not about nature and enviromentalism its about not being quick to judge, see a problem from all sides, and people will do bad things if they are for the right reasons. I'm kicking myself for not rewatching it much sooner. This really is a classic.

Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind- Another Ghibli classic, this is the first time watching and I loved it. I swear if you told me this anime was made back in the 80s I wouldn't have believed you. The animation level and detail is so far beyond anything else of its time! I'm a little disappointed at the end with how the giant warrior was used after being so built up through the whole film. That's only a minor gripe of an otherwise perfect film.

Canaan- to be honest its what I've come to call a T.A.B. anime. Typical Anime Bulls***. You know those series that create a great premise and everything is awesome for about 8 episodes? Then they reach that moment when they run out of episodes to tell the story and characters start acting retarded, people get killed in the dumbest/pointless ways possible, and the enemy starts spouting phylosphical mumbo jumbo about how they did everything for whatever reason that makes little sense. That is what Canaan is.

Freezing- Three episodes in and I want to kill the main guy. Seriously all he has done so far is cause Satellizer to lose her tournament, get her into more trouble forcing her to fight while recovering from injury, nearly sexually assaulted/raped, and above all else he keeps grabbing her arm trying to force his apology on her. This is after he was repeatedly warned not to touch her, not by just the school president, other students, but even by Satellizer herself! But he's like "Yeah b****, I grabbed your arm! Now accept my apology! You remind me of my sister! Do Me!" Dude just leave the poor girl alone you're destroying her life... :(

Freezing- Three episodes in and I want to kill the main guy. Seriously all he has done so far is cause Satellizer to lose her tournament, get her into more trouble forcing her to fight while recovering from injury, nearly sexually assaulted/raped, and above all else he keeps grabbing her arm trying to force his apology on her. This is after he was repeatedly warned not to touch her, not by just the school president, other students, but even by Satellizer herself! But he's like "Yeah b****, I grabbed your arm! Now accept my apology! You remind me of my sister! Do Me!" Dude just leave the poor girl alone you're destroying her life... :(

That Kazuya boy just did not get Satellizer's hints to stop touching her. It does get better later on, but there is an overdose of fan service that almost gets in the way of the story. The fights do get more vicious later on with girl dramas. The real battle for survival comes in the last 2 episodes when those Nova things show up all over the place.

I've seen Macross, Voltron, and Aquarion. I heard Codename G-something was good but I don't know where to find it. Can anyone recommend a site to watch Gundam on?

Edited by Benson13

Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind- Another Ghibli classic, this is the first time watching and I loved it. I swear if you told me this anime was made back in the 80s I wouldn't have believed you. The animation level and detail is so far beyond anything else of its time! I'm a little disappointed at the end with how the giant warrior was used after being so built up through the whole film. That's only a minor gripe of an otherwise perfect film.

Read the manga. It addresses your disappointment with the God Warrior. Also, for many other reasons, as great as the movie is, it's not as great as the manga.

Edited by Gubaba

I've seen Macross, Voltron, and Aquarion. I heard Codename G-something was good but I don't know where to find it. Can anyone recommend a site to watch Gundam on?

I'm only going to recommend some titles that are availble in the States or that I own.

GaoGaiGar- really one of the best super robot shows of all time.

Daiguard- a super robot with real world physics piloted by office workers.

Gravion and Gravion Zwei- a fun little show coproduced by ADV back in the day. Worth watching for the cameos made by the wrestler The Rock.

Godannar- a fanservice heavy show with a very unique take on giant robots

MazinKaiser- awesome show and a final conclusion to mazinger and Z original series.

MazinKaiser SKL- a newer Mazinkaiser that is more or less the 90s death metal equivilent to the original kaisers 80s hair band feel(odd analogy I know, but you'll understand after you watch.

Kishin Corps- a hidden gem I recently found. Set in an alternate WWII era it has an awesome retro feel with some raiders of the lost ark thrown in!

Vandread- great story, but you might find its CGI dated(cutting edge at the time).

Armored Trooper Votoms- another classic with a hard sci-fi story.

Full Metal Panic- mecha mercenaries meets typical highschool life.

Martian Sucessor Nadiesco- great show with homages to getter robo and macross.

Giant Robo: The day the Earth Stood Still- a true classic that gets overlooked alot

Edited by renegadeleader1

You can catch Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam on ANN's website for free. I think Crunchyroll has a couple of other Gundam series too.

Finished Freezing. Like Sekirei it sucks knowing there isn't going to be a continuation anytime soon. Overall I had to say I liked it.

Now onto Toward The Terra.

The first couple of episodes of Toward the Terra are a bit sluggish. The series gets better after episode 3 or so. Just saying so you don't get discouraged early on.

Dunno, this seems about right:

http://muvluv.wikia....uction_Launcher

but I watched a fansub that called it a radiation gun, so might be a confused fan translator in the one you watched.

Thats still not right. A rail-gun fires a metal slug and cant be swept like an energy cannon from Gundam. Its basically a high-energy bolt action rifle. Not a laser gun like in Total Eclipse.

I agree, the animation effects make it look like a beam. But this is normal for depicting railguns in anime. for example in gundam seed the freedom gundam had hip mounted railguns that shot beams.

Thats still not right. A rail-gun fires a metal slug and cant be swept like an energy cannon from Gundam. Its basically a high-energy bolt action rifle. Not a laser gun like in Total Eclipse.

Yeah it wasn't really a railgun was it. When I watched that scene in Muv Luv all I could think of was a Macross Cannon :D

Started on Bleach season 3. Not bad, but not great. IMO, the first season was still the best.

Also watching Baka Test season 2, and loving every moment of it.

For some strange reason, Chrome Shelled Regios doesn't seem so bad after watching it a second time.

If all these seem to be somewhat old anime, it's because I've only got time to watch them on cable TV.