In SDFM, the Breetai fleet has an advisor/archivist, Exedol Folmo. Does the Lap Lamiz fleet have a similar character, perhaps unnamed? I don't remember seeing such a lady, but I might have failed to notice. and one fan art at http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/507752 does feature her (as well as some other named Zentradi I fail to recognize).

Dramatically, the Exedol character was an exposition generator and occasional comic relief. In order for certain elements of the SDF Macross story to function, such a character was required. So because Lap Lamiz and Millia were used for different dramatic purposes, there was no need for this expository side kick. If there was one, I can't recall the character ever being notable.

In-universe, we did see other Meltrandi characters floating around the bridge of the ship commanded by Lap Lamiz. One of them could be an Adviser/Archivist but I don't recall it was ever explicitly stated. In Macross 7 Encore, Chlore also had some Meltrandi minions on her bridge. Could be just crew, but one of them had this unique outfit that might have signified some sort of special rank like an Adviser/Archivist.

Dramatically, the Exedol character was an exposition generator and occasional comic relief. In order for certain elements of the SDF Macross story to function, such a character was required. So because Lap Lamiz and Millia were used for different dramatic purposes, there was no need for this expository side kick. If there was one, I can't recall the character ever being notable.

This would be the best answer. Tranquil was the advisor to Chlore's fleet. She showed up because she served a story-purpose. Did Lap Lamiz have one? Probably. Was there a story purpose for the character? Likely no. So there was no need to waste screen space for a character.

This would be the best answer. Tranquil was the advisor to Chlore's fleet. She showed up because she served a story-purpose. Did Lap Lamiz have one? Probably. Was there a story purpose for the character? Likely no. So there was no need to waste screen space for a character.

Didn't Chlore refer to Tranquil as "advisor?" I'll have to check...

Wow, sometimes I don't even remember the content of my own website. The profile I wrote for the Meltran Medium Scale Gunboat "Chlore Fleet Command Ship" identifies Chlore's subordinate by the name Tranquil and as an adviser :)

i'm not sure who or where to ask about this (didnt want to start a topic to only get it locked for being stupid or something) but oddly i had a thought about the VF-2JA Icarus while waiting to pick up my son at the bus stop, specifically its wings.

Now i understand how normal aviation wings basically function (everything is the same save the PN's*) but how would the VF-2JA Icarus's slats and flaps function, mechanically speaking? is it really just a silly innovation amonst many of Macross II's faults? has anything been described about this?

* your planes make may differ from this

So I just rewatched Macross Plus after maybe 10 years. I didn't understand what the heck was up between Isamu and Guld and Myung before, and I still don't now.

Were either of the guys dating Myung in the flashbacks? All we really get is a scene of Myung crying on Isamu, followed by Guld busting in, punching Isamu, and ripping open Myung's shirt.

I mean, there's plenty to speculate on, but it's all just made up, at least in my English version.

Was Myung dating Guld, he upset her, and then the flashback scene is her finding solace in Isamu and Guld catching them? And it's all because of some Zentraedi rage?

Is something lost in the English translation, or is the backstory just purposely not filled in?

all three grew up as the Mickey Mouse bunch. really likely 4 since the one girl with huge hair was also a close friend of Myung's. they got into high school and Myung started to get the hots of Isamu (but Isamu wasnt yet into it, his lover was Aviation first and foremost. Guld, being of the 1st generation microns still had major anger issues, quick to rage and judge. (he already thought that Isamu was a irresposible jerk). and the Kicker: Guld did have feelings for Myung, too. so seeing them in a percieved intemate moment, Guld Rage-Quit and beat the snot out of Isamu and also almost assaulted Myung. it isnt shown (only stated that he blocked that memory out) but ill guess that Guld leaves the apartment in shame, and Isamu and Myung DO NOT PRESS charges, since they understand his temper because of his race, as male Zentradi. eventually Myung departs to mend her broken heart though a musical career. Isamu joins the Armed Forces (i dont know if he followed RL pathways through college to earn his commisiion or in the Macross Fictional universe, its much easier to earn a commision into the Officer Ranks as a pilot) and starts a long career of Epic fails... apparently they need all the bodies they can get, considering the number of events that in RL would have gotten Isamu resigning his commision and doing time in Levenworth probably.

can i stop now?

Is it true that Macross Frontier is going to be re-broadcast in October?

Yes, as part of the marketing for the new BD box set. The series, as well as a new special with interviews of the cast (The Grace Report) will air and the 2 movies and 5 episodes (voted on by fans) will also be replayed at the cinema as a Macross Movie Festival. Nothing that hasn't been done before really apart from the fan voted episode screening. The Grace Report will be included in the new box set.

all three grew up as the Mickey Mouse bunch. really likely 4 since the one girl with huge hair was also a close friend of Myung's. they got into high school and Myung started to get the hots of Isamu (but Isamu wasnt yet into it, his lover was Aviation first and foremost. Guld, being of the 1st generation microns still had major anger issues, quick to rage and judge. (he already thought that Isamu was a irresposible jerk). and the Kicker: Guld did have feelings for Myung, too. so seeing them in a percieved intemate moment, Guld Rage-Quit and beat the snot out of Isamu and also almost assaulted Myung. it isnt shown (only stated that he blocked that memory out) but ill guess that Guld leaves the apartment in shame, and Isamu and Myung DO NOT PRESS charges, since they understand his temper because of his race, as male Zentradi. eventually Myung departs to mend her broken heart though a musical career. Isamu joins the Armed Forces (i dont know if he followed RL pathways through college to earn his commisiion or in the Macross Fictional universe, its much easier to earn a commision into the Officer Ranks as a pilot) and starts a long career of Epic fails... apparently they need all the bodies they can get, considering the number of events that in RL would have gotten Isamu resigning his commision and doing time in Levenworth probably.

can i stop now?

Thanks for the reply!

Next question:

"Elint Seeker."

Okay, so I see a flood of these weird looking things on ebay lately. What show are they from and were they a normal ship used in a show/ova/movie? They sorta look like Misa Hayase's radar ship from before she was captured by Breetai & Co., but I don't think that transformed.

Edited by Robowang

The VE-1 ELINT Seeker is an electronic warfare version of the VF-1 Valkyrie that appeared in the 1984 film The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?. My website has a profile on the craft that can be found here:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/ve-1-elintseeker-valkyrie.htm

Hope that helps :)

The VE-1 Elintseeker is a recon/ECM VF-1, one of them appeared very briefly in the DYRL movie.

There is also a similar looking SDF Macross series version, the VEFR-1 "Funny Chinese" without the FAST Packs and modified wings and tailfins that appeared briefly in Episode 27.

Both were shown only in fighter mode, I believe.

Ah, interesting! So they essentially made a toy which was half unused design? That's kinda neat. Elint Seeker is basically the equivilent of a Star Wars "random background character" figure. Except crazy elaborate and expensive. I'll have to see if I can spot one in DYRL next time I watch :)

The VE-1 ELINT Seeker is an electronic warfare version of the VF-1 Valkyrie that appeared in the 1984 film The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?. My website has a profile on the craft that can be found here:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/ve-1-elintseeker-valkyrie.htm

Hope that helps :)

Sweet Jesus that's elaborate. Is all that info from some kind of translated guide? My eyes can't even pick one of those numbers to focus on :)

Robowang

The information on my website is taken from Egan Loo's incredible Macross Compendium (I reference his website at the bottom of most of the profiles on my website). Most of the information is official.

Wow, it is IMPRESSIVELY elaborate.

Another question:

About how old are Max and Millia during the Macross 7 show? They don't seem to be drawn it, but wouldn't Max at least have to be in his 60s?

Also, I read somewhere that they are divorced in Macross 7. What's up with that?

Wow, it is IMPRESSIVELY elaborate.

Another question:

About how old are Max and Millia during the Macross 7 show? They don't seem to be drawn it, but wouldn't Max at least have to be in his 60s?

Also, I read somewhere that they are divorced in Macross 7. What's up with that?

Thank you. I try hard to make the M3 as complete as one part-time amateur person such as myself can, lol :)

The age of Max and Milia in Macross 7 is treated rather tongue-in-cheek by the creative staff. Kawamori himself once said something silly about how Max doesn't age like the rest of us because of his genius :) The two are drawn older than they appeared in the original series, but yes, they look FAR younger than they should be for 2045.

As for the Max and Milia relationship, it's probably best you either watch the Macross 7 series or read spoiler reviews of the show. The MAHQ has detailed episode by episode reviews of the all the Macross shows.

Thank you. I try hard to make the M3 as complete as one part-time amateur person such as myself can, lol :)

The age of Max and Milia in Macross 7 is treated rather tongue-in-cheek by the creative staff. Kawamori himself once said something silly about how Max doesn't age like the rest of us because of his genius :) The two are drawn older than they appeared in the original series, but yes, they look FAR younger than they should be for 2045.

As for the Max and Milia relationship, it's probably best you either watch the Macross 7 series or read spoiler reviews of the show. The MAHQ has detailed episode by episode reviews of the all the Macross shows.

It'll be a while, but I did just find a torrent for Macross 7 with subtitles, so maybe I'll get around to it in a few months.

Okay, here's one more: can anyone list the specific reasons one's personal cannon couldn't be the following: DYRL or SDF Macross, Flashback, Plus, followed by Macross II. Like, what in particular (dates, characters, whatnot) simply can't be retconned into making it work, or what would have to be blatantly ignored to make that work? Heck, I suppose 7 could be thrown in there between Plus and II as well. I know nothing about Frontier. And, well, I didn't enjoy Zero much, so I guess I just left it off, though it would obviously go at the beginning.

Personal canon (one "n") can be anything you want; it's personal :) But if you're asking for an opinion, I can't think of anything objectionable about your list. Just an FYI, to my knowledge there has never been any official declaration of canon for the Macross intellectual property.

The age of Max and Milia in Macross 7 is treated rather tongue-in-cheek by the creative staff. Kawamori himself once said something silly about how Max doesn't age like the rest of us because of his genius :)

I've always loved this, is like the ultimate get out jail free card for Max, he can do and get away with anything...because he's a genius, like Batman, because he's the Goddamn Batman! :lol::lol:

BTW, how long to Zentradi live?

are you interviewing the franchise for a date or something

I totally am. The franchise is still hot, but it's getting older. I need to get my shot in before everything hits the floor.

Personal canon (one "n") can be anything you want; it's personal :) But if you're asking for an opinion, I can't think of anything objectionable about your list. Just an FYI, to my knowledge there has never been any official declaration of canon for the Macross intellectual property.

I guess I should reword my question because I reread it and I sound like a rambling idiot.

Is there any occurence, date given, character death, or other factoid that would technically prevent Macross II from happening after Macross Plus or Macross 7 other than it being disavowed by the Macross creators?

In a broad sense not really but in terms of the amount of cultural and technological progress it doesn't really fit nicely with the rest of Macross.

And to be honest the only reason it gets any leeway the way you describe it is because it was set in the rather arbitrary year of 2092 whereas the last Macross series is in 2059 (or 2060 if you include Macross 30). So if at any point in the near future they do make a sequel that takes place close to or around then, Macross II is basically out of luck.

Edited by VF5SS

I tend to mentally slot M:II in around 2020. Last gasp of the destroids, not much defenses around earth, small defensive fleet, salvaged 'Macross Cannon' ships, new and untested VFs, inexperienced pilots all point to an event shortly after SW1. It can also be the trigger for the massive military build up going forwards in the timeline.

You have to handwave the destruction of the Macross or just replace it with a SDFN class in M:+ and onward.

Actually, looking at the construction of the railguns on the shoulder pods, it looks like an SDFN in M+ anyway.