Yamato 1/60 VF-X

Graham

Arrgh, they did not paint the verniers in or the lasers on the side of the intake. That kinda sucks because in the promo shots they were painted in. :(

vf-x.gif

It is because the VF-X has no verniers... Although the mold still has it.

Awesome, so which part of the paint scheme on valkyrie is painted on? The darker gray or lighter gray? Or combination in various parts?

I am not home now, so this is from memory: either (some of) the dark grey is painted, or it is different on various parts. :wacko:

vf-x.gif

It is because the VF-X has no verniers... Although the mold still has it.

I am not home now, so this is from memory: either (some of) the dark grey is painted, or it is different on various parts. :wacko:

Hah! I should have looked at the line art lol.

Arrgh, they are not lasers!

Graham

Glad someone other than me spotted that. They are reverse thrusters - same as the nose ones (though, if VFMF:VF-1 is anything to go by, the nose reverse thrusters were replaced by cameras at some point.) NO LASERS.

FAIL! :p

I was not sure what they were exactly, I guess I really never caught them firing in reverse when all the thruster would go off when they maneuvered :unsure:

PEW PEW PEW!

don't feel bad, they were animated as guns of some sort in SDF: Macross more than once.

don't feel bad, they were animated as guns of some sort in SDF: Macross more than once.

That is the series I am currently finishing off currently on ep 30 or so. I swear I saw them shoot before, but it would be hard to go through all the episodes just to find a screen shot.

I do understand though that SDF Macross does have a lot of animation errors.

Edited by Loop

• 2 weeks later...

No need to transform it, not meant to in the 1st place. Looks good!

plus, no head module!! BOY, would BATTROID look awkward!

and i thought the VT-1 and VE-1 had bizarre BATTROIDs...

hope the thing MSRP's for $100 or less for all that...

Yes, the VFX does have the VF-1A head sculpt.

OK, i take that back. so, it's a 1A with no head laser?

pictures

so i take that back as well! Damn It!! :rolleyes: @ myself...

Edited by Shaorin

plus, no head module!! BOY, would BATTROID look awkward!

and i thought the VT-1 and VE-1 had bizarre BATTROIDs...

hope the thing MSRP's for $100 or less for all that...

OK, i take that back. so, it's a 1A with no head laser?

A complete head, but you have to remove the head to mount that belly plate/cover.

4652269800_1bb40fb32c_b.jpg

Edited by Vi-RS

A complete head, but you have to remove the head to mount that belly plate/cover.

thanks! i had thought so... :)

damn... i can remember, as if it was just yesterday, ten+ years ago,

when the very concept of a fringe popularity VF-1 variant such as this

ever seeing a mass production model release was considered a lofty fan dream

at best. hell, we were even paying downright obscene sums of money for the best 1/55 chunkies back then,

the choices for a fan were so limited!!

My God, everyone should remember this whenever ire is leveled at YAMATO and their customary foul ups;

no one, but NO ONE has ever done more for MACROSS fans than YAMATO have,

and, much like SONY and PHILIPS with their new Compact Disc format back in 1982,

YAMATO were (and still are) trail blazers, going where no one has gone before (forgive the cliche')

in defining cutting edge engineering of high precision scale models of subjects whose past efforts

in three dimensional rendition had taken so many compromises in design by way of perceived "necessity"

that they could only be seen by discriminating eyes as child's toys.

naturally, when exploring undiscovered country, as YAMATO have been doing for a decade now,

there are bound to be some stumbles along the way.

(the earliest Compact Disc players, for instance, are notorious for their distinctly bad sound quality

when compared to examples only a couple/three years newer)

still, in hind sight, with trophies of masterful bleeding-edge engineering,

such as the 1/60v.II VF-1 in hand, i, for one can deeply appreciate all that YAMATO has done

for MACROSS fans, and, while i emphasize with those that have been burned with defective products,

don't you all feel it was money nevertheless very well spent in support of a company

that has managed to bend over backwards to achieve MACROSS fan's loftiest dreams,

and promises to take said fans places they never dared even imagine in the days ahead?

i cannot say how everyone else feels, but for me, my 1/60v.II VF-1J Hik. T.V.

is a most beautiful reality check on a daily basis.

with a tear and a salute, i commend YAMATO corp's remarkable efforts...

Edited by Shaorin

*snip*

My God, everyone should remember this whenever ire is leveled at YAMATO and their customary foul ups;

*snip*

Bad quality control hurts sales, thereby hurting Yamato. It's gotten better through the years with the occasional hiccup here and there. Graham can sometimes chime in on our behalf, so I don't think anyone should stop giving constructive criticism. We all know your love for your V2 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru Custom that hasn't suffered a shoulder breakage whatsoever but imagine someone who loved theirs just as much and received a breakage. Even if a fan were in Japan and could get parts quickly by Yamato, a breakage is a breakage and disappointing.

Again though, quality control has gotten better, let's hope it's consistent and gets even better in the future. They are going where other manufacturers don't out of necessity; with a low birth rate, Yamato's target audience is the older collector, upping their ante on collector's toys is the only way for them to really go.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Bad quality control hurts sales, thereby hurting Yamato. It's gotten better through the years with the occasional hiccup here and there. Graham can sometimes chime in on our behalf, so I don't think anyone should stop giving constructive criticism. We all know your love for your V2 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru Custom that hasn't suffered a shoulder breakage whatsoever but imagine someone who loved theirs just as much and received a breakage. Even if a fan were in Japan and could get parts quickly by Yamato, a breakage is a breakage and disappointing.

Again though, quality control has gotten better, let's hope it's consistent and gets even better in the future. They are going where other manufacturers don't out of necessity; with a low birth rate, Yamato's target audience is the older collector, upping their ante on collector's toys is the only way for them to really go.

I'm sorry but with the cock up that bandai's much anticipated foray into transforming valkyries has been, I think it's well past time to pull the yamato QC bandwagon over to the side of the road and take a big swig of reality.

These things are hard to engineer and manufacture. If even Bandai, sporting a simplified and dumbed down version couldn't get it right on the first try (or apparently the second) with all their experience and resources then it's understandable that Yamato, being a much smaller company, doing much more challenging designs would also have issues.

I'm sorry but with the cock up that bandai's much anticipated foray into transforming valkyries has been, I think it's well past time to pull the yamato QC bandwagon over to the side of the road and take a big swig of reality.

These things are hard to engineer and manufacture. If even Bandai, sporting a simplified and dumbed down version couldn't get it right on the first try (or apparently the second) with all their experience and resources then it's understandable that Yamato, being a much smaller company, doing much more challenging designs would also have issues.

This isn't about Bandai. They have screwups of their own and anyone reading my posts already knows I won't be buying another DX VF-25 until it is either redesigned or a new one built from scratch is made.

Yamato makes some good Valkyrie toys but the quality control problems mar otherwise great releases. We had what, 3-4 releases before Yamato told the factory workers to switch to smooth pins on the V2 1/60 VF-1, something that may have not happened had fans here had not spoken up, and had Graham not forwarded their concerns to Yamato. Before that, Graham hadn't experienced the shoulder breakages and IIRC he was surprised at how many requests he got for shoulder hinge replacements. Even then someone at the factory level decided that the VT-1 should have the knurled hinges. The fact that mere pins could lead to breakage of important parts on the toy could be avoided via more play-testing before final production. Yamato has been making Macross toys for what, over the past 10 years(going by initial prototypes for Toycom's 1/72 Macross Plus line)? I get that their ambition is harder to translate when it comes to complicated designs and that they will run into problems. Yet more play-testing before final production to work out all the kinks before release won't hurt them. Less broken toys to replace/repair for them, the cheaper, and the better it is for them.

This isn't about Bandai. They have screwups of their own and anyone reading my posts already knows I won't be buying another DX VF-25 until it is either redesigned or a new one built from scratch is made.

Yamato makes some good Valkyrie toys but the quality control problems mar otherwise great releases. We had what, 3-4 releases before Yamato told the factory workers to switch to smooth pins on the V2 1/60 VF-1, something that may have not happened had fans here had not spoken up, and had Graham not forwarded their concerns to Yamato. Before that, Graham hadn't experienced the shoulder breakages and IIRC he was surprised at how many requests he got for shoulder hinge replacements. Even then someone at the factory level decided that the VT-1 should have the knurled hinges. The fact that mere pins could lead to breakage of important parts on the toy could be avoided via more play-testing before final production. Yamato has been making Macross toys for what, over the past 10 years(going by initial prototypes for Toycom's 1/72 Macross Plus line)? I get that their ambition is harder to translate when it comes to complicated designs and that they will run into problems. Yet more play-testing before final production to work out all the kinks before release won't hurt them. Less broken toys to replace/repair for them, the cheaper, and the better it is for them.

First, the shoulder pin problem wasn't immediate and it didn't affect every valk, let alone every shoulder. I have several knurled pin releases and only one has an issue and even then it's only in one shoulder and that happened months later after dozens of transformations.

Which brings us to Two. We don't know how far ahead yamato's production queue is. We were already well into the second or third release when problems with the shoulders started to surface. And by that time they may have already manufactured and boxed the next release or two after that. Even Hasbro doesn't go back and yank an entire product line to fix a manufacturing or design defect.

And then there's the whole issue of how responsive the manufacturers in China are to changes in procedure or materials. Considering that th re-release of Alternity Convoy's leg panels still aren't manufactured correctly, I'm assuming not that much.

All I know is that I have more than a dozen of the ver 2.0 vf-1s and half of those are knurled pin. I've had shoulder issue. All of my DX toys have issues with self atrophying joints and the 25 alone has more cracks than all of my yamatos combined.

Edited by eugimon

The shoulder pin problem WAS immediate... some of the Valks Yamato sent to reviewers had the pins break in transit or during the review. Even when I saw it in Japan, before it was released, I was told there was concern about the shoulders.

Edit - The initial versions were labeled as pre-production and Yamato stated they were still working out some issues and the first release might not be 100% the same. So, when it was released we were all optimistic that the shoulder issues were resolved... they weren't. I think Yamato later claimed ignorance...

EDIT II - why is this conversation happening in this thread instead of the "NEED NEW SHOULDERS!" thread? I'm sure the shoulders on these toys are fine now.

Edited by jenius

The shoulder pin problem WAS immediate... some of the Valks Yamato sent to reviewers had the pins break in transit or during the review. Even when I saw it in Japan, before it was released, I was told there was concern about the shoulders.

Edit - The initial versions were labeled as pre-production and Yamato stated they were still working out some issues and the first release might not be 100% the same. So, when it was released we were all optimistic that the shoulder issues were resolved... they weren't. I think Yamato later claimed ignorance...

EDIT II - why is this conversation happening in this thread instead of the "NEED NEW SHOULDERS!" thread? I'm sure the shoulders on these toys are fine now.

Wide spread reports of breaks weren't immediate. I remember when sh!t really hit the fan people were checking their 1a releases. Part of this was just how quickly yamato was rolling out new releases but we were at least two releases in when it became apparent just how bad it was getting.

And we're talking about this here because we can't have a single yamato thread without talking about this. EVERY yamato toy thread gets derailed with QC issues.

no one, but NO ONE has ever done more for MACROSS fans than YAMATO have,

I quite agree with you. Yamato has completed my dream of collecting the whole line of VF-1 valks. Now we even have the VF-X and Virgin Road! I believe that Yamato know that they may not make good money in making certain models, but they for some reason (to serve the M public? To keep the factories running? To keep products going out of the door?) they manage to complete the project (except the obscure Dark Bird and HQ Guard maybe).

Yamato, you still owe me the Phalanx and Spartan.

Shaorin, on 22 December 2010 - 02:49 AM, said:

no one, but NO ONE has ever done more for MACROSS fans than YAMATO have

I quite agree with you. Yamato has completed my dream of collecting the whole line of VF-1 valks. Now we even have the VF-X and Virgin Road! I believe that Yamato know that they may not make good money in making certain models, but they for some reason ....they manage to complete the project (except the obscure Dark Bird and HQ Guard maybe).

Yamato, you still owe me the Phalanx and Spartan.

What they said.

That is the series I am currently finishing off currently on ep 30 or so. I swear I saw them shoot before, but it would be hard to go through all the episodes just to find a screen shot.

I do understand though that SDF Macross does have a lot of animation errors.

Max and Millia's wedding ep. (Virgin Road), he uses them to disable the battle pods when she says she doesn't want to kill any more.

After that just about the rest of the fight scene for the ep., every shot is using them too.