FNG's thoughts on Macross

Wastegate13

Wat? :huh: Big West endorses ALL OF MACROSS. They own the rights to the franchise, nothing gets produced with the Macross name on it in Japan without Big Wests approval.

Oh sorry, yeah I guess it does. I guess I meant the branch of the continuity that was done by Big West without Kawamoris involvement, Macross II. Macross II is better than Zero, Plus, 7 and Frontier combined.

You know I knew that 7 fared better in Japan but I honestly didn't expect it to be the second most popular Macross title. Then again it does explain how something like Gundam Seed was so damn successful over there.

It's near impossible to compare the popularity of 7 and Frontier, as conditions for anime have changed so much in the mean time. One could agrue in favor of any of the three TV series, imo it's sufficient to say all were pretty succesfull in their time. For example if you look at a recent Newtype pole on most popular characters of the last three decades. Minmay, Basara and Sheryl all made the top 3 of their respective decade.

Gundam Seed has more in common with Frontier then 7. Both use a strong focus on teen drama to apeal to a modern, less tech oriented anime audience. While 7 often draws events furter into the absurd, Frontier may be the less accessible title of the two as character behaviour is much more governed by current anime tropes and archetypes.

Oh sorry, yeah I guess it does. I guess I meant the branch of the continuity that was done by Big West without Kawamoris involvement, Macross II. Macross II is better than Zero, Plus, 7 and Frontier combined.

That's just personal opinion. While MII has it's fans it's certainly not a very popular Macross show. On suki it's actually used as an example to explain the term kuro-rekishi ("dark history") used for unmentionably bad shows. Again an opinion ofc.

Edited by Bri

Fair enough. I just didnt enjoy Plus at all either really. It didnt feel like a Macross show and thats because it wasn`t, it was just a generic OVA script picked off the shelf by Kawamori, given the Macross name and shoved awkwardly into Macross continuity.

Calling "Plus" a generic OVA seems somewhat harsh considering the overall quality (animation, design, music) of the show.

Yes, it wasn't originally meant to be Macross, and Kawamori had to rework it to fit into Macross, but overall I think he did a beautiful job of it and I don't think Plus feels "shoved awkwardly" into the continuity at all.

It sounds to me like you're not a Macross fan at all, but one of the extremely rare breed of Macross II only fans. Now go hang out with Oihan.

It sounds to me like you're not a Macross fan at all, but one of the extremely rare breed of Macross II only fans. Now go hang out with Oihan.

? Of course I love the original show, DYRL, FB2012 and all related material as well. I think this group of shows goes together with MII much more neatly than Kawamori`s vision which seems to be just trend of the week with the name Macross slapped on it.

IMHO Kawamori was better as a mechanical designer than a director or planner.

? Of course I love the original show, DYRL, FB2012 and all related material as well. I think this group of shows goes together with MII much more neatly than Kawamori`s vision which seems to be just trend of the week with the name Macross slapped on it.

Except for irony of irony's. Macross II doesn't really fit in with anything, until Frontier! smile.gif But let me ask you this. Are you a general anime fan, or are you in it pretty much just for Macross?

Edited by Keith

Except for irony of irony's. Macross II doesn't really fit in with anything, until Frontier! smile.gif But let me ask you this. Are you a general anime fan, or are you in it pretty much just for Macross?

Macross is special for me because I grew up with Robotech, trips to Chinatown, Jetfire and bootleg toys so its nostalgia plus a very good war show. I`m a fan of all epic war stories.

As far as other anime goes I used to be into anything I could get my hands on but as I`ve aged I`ve realised that most stuff gets worse and worse and I`ve learned to focus on the era I love best, gritty `80s war shows with bad ass mecha and characters that die.

Macross is special for me because I grew up with Robotech, trips to Chinatown, Jetfire and bootleg toys so its nostalgia plus a very good war show. I`m a fan of all epic war stories.

As far as other anime goes I used to be into anything I could get my hands on but as I`ve aged I`ve realised that most stuff gets worse and worse and I`ve learned to focus on the era I love best, gritty `80s war shows with bad ass mecha and characters that die.

The biggest difference between the two era's, is animation budget. Really, things aren't "that" different now. But you've answered my question, and proved my point.

Macross II is better than Zero, Plus, 7 and Frontier combined.

'kay... that's certainly a rare view, and admittedly not one that has a whole lot of relevance to the OP's particular line of inquiry. Of course, the same can be said for this entire love/hate thing we've got going with regard to the Macross 7 series right now.

Yes, it wasn't originally meant to be Macross, and Kawamori had to rework it to fit into Macross, but overall I think he did a beautiful job of it and I don't think Plus feels "shoved awkwardly" into the continuity at all.

Nor do I... at least, not from a modern viewpoint. On the other hand, if you look at it in terms of the direction Big West was taking with Macross in Kawamori's absence and the current state of the continuity back then, then the addition of Macross Plus is about as awkward as it gets. To make it fit, they had to rewrite the continuity (again) to remove eighty years worth of history and make all of the removed material a parallel universe. It doesn't feel like an awkward addition to the continuity now because it has the support of the shows that came after it. That said, you both have a point.

'kay... that logic doesn't exactly work. You're implying:

Macross II fans ≠ Macross fans

even though

Macross II ∈ Macross

It does, actually... it fits quite well with DYRL (by intent, it's a sequel) and the canon games and other continuity materials created to bridge the gap between the two. Still, this is a big departure from what the OP wanted to know.

'kay... that's certainly a rare view, and admittedly not one that has a whole lot of relevance to the OP's particular line of inquiry. Of course, the same can be said for this entire love/hate thing we've got going with regard to the Macross 7 series right now.

Nor do I... at least, not from a modern viewpoint. On the other hand, if you look at it in terms of the direction Big West was taking with Macross in Kawamori's absence and the current state of the continuity back then, then the addition of Macross Plus is about as awkward as it gets. To make it fit, they had to rewrite the continuity (again) to remove eighty years worth of history and make all of the removed material a parallel universe. It doesn't feel like an awkward addition to the continuity now because it has the support of the shows that came after it. That said, you both have a point.

'kay... that logic doesn't exactly work. You're implying:

Macross II fans ≠ Macross fans

even though

Macross II ∈ Macross

It does, actually... it fits quite well with DYRL (by intent, it's a sequel) and the canon games and other continuity materials created to bridge the gap between the two. Still, this is a big departure from what the OP wanted to know.

I consider a Macross fan to be an all encompassing Macross series fan. As for Macross II, the Macross ship design, lack of outbranching colonization, etc, all contradicts both Macross & DYRL. Frontier however opens up new possibilities.

The biggest difference between the two era's, is animation budget. Really, things aren't "that" different now. But you've answered my question, and proved my point.

What was your point? and things are very different now, Japans economy is in stagnation, less risks are taken than in the boomtimes of the `80s and there is less creativity/creative freedom. Animation houses rely on sure sell moe paedophile fantasies more and more.

I consider a Macross fan to be an all encompassing Macross series fan.

So you have to like every series they come up with to be a Macross fan? Really? You have some pretty strong opinions there yourself buddy.

As for Macross II, the Macross ship design, lack of outbranching colonization, etc, all contradicts both Macross & DYRL. .

No it doesn`t, colonisation of space happened in Macross II continuity, just not on the scale of 7 and Frontier. Megaroad and its lost crew are not only part of Kawamori canon, but MII aswell. I find it a much more believable version of history that as humanity repopulated and space fleets were lost in deep space and as the Earth was under renewed Zentraudi attack that the fortification of Earth was more of a priority.

Edited by Million Star

I consider a Macross fan to be an all encompassing Macross series fan.

By that standard, none of us are Macross fans then... not even you.

You don't have to like every Macross show to be a Macross fan... you only need to like one. It's not like they're all set in separate universes or something.

As for Macross II, the Macross ship design, lack of outbranching colonization, etc, all contradicts both Macross & DYRL. Frontier however opens up new possibilities.

Now, this is a discussion that really belongs in a thread of its own... you're voicing a misconception that's fairly common among western Macross fans. To be brief, as to not derail this thread much more than it already has been, the guy you got into this argument with (Million Star) has the name of one of that universe's colony ships for his screen name. :p

Oh - how this brings back the old debates about Zero... I protest against the word "magic" when referencing events in Zero. Just because you don't understand the science behind something, doesn't make it "magic." From the point of view of pre-scientific peoples, it could be argued that cars are magic - I tend to look at the events of Zero in that way: we're dealing with super advanced bio-technology and our minds are just incapable of grasping certain things.

Pete

You know I started thinking about this in almost the same way yesterday and it just may be swaying my viewpoint. The only small niggle I have over it is the events in Zero are completely ignored by SDF:M. All this craziness going on with UN forces and their opposition as witnesses and it just gets forgotten in a few years? That's the problem with retconning material, even if you have a wonderful explanation it still feels like you're rewriting history because you quite literally are.

Anyhow, I appreciate all the insight you guys have tossed out and I actually think I'm starting to change my mind on the subject. I'm going to give Mac7 a go over the next few days and then re-watch Zero before I move on to Frontier. DYRL is currently playing on my new PS3 and looks amazing by the way.

The only small niggle I have over it is the events in Zero are completely ignored by SDF:M. All this craziness going on with UN forces and their opposition as witnesses and it just gets forgotten in a few years?

No, not forgotten... just classified. The whole affair's been declassified by 2059, and the inhabitants of the titular colony ship in Macross Frontier even film a historical drama about it.

That's the problem with retconning material, even if you have a wonderful explanation it still feels like you're rewriting history because you quite literally are.

It is... but it's self-contained enough that it doesn't really affect anything that came after (chronologically).

Okay...do you really know what you're saying here? Kawamori helped plan SDFM TV. He co-directed DYRL. He didn't write or direct any of Macross 7.

(Incidentally, the had writer and script supervisor for Macross 7, Sukehiro Tomita, was also the writer for a bunch of episodes of SDFM TV, and he also wrote DYRL and Macross II. So before you start bashing one Macross series with a different Macross series, it might be a good idea to find out who did what in each one. So people show up in surprising places.)

Let me rephrase. If you're someone who excludes 90% of the canon Macross series, you're probably not so much a Macross fan. If you're someone who prefers a Macross series who wasn't done by the dominant creative force in Macross (and Kawamori has essentially taken over the franchise as the collective group moved on after DYRL), then you're probably "not" a Macross fan.

Now, this is a discussion that really belongs in a thread of its own... you're voicing a misconception that's fairly common among western Macross fans. To be brief, as to not derail this thread much more than it already has been, the guy you got into this argument with (Million Star) has the name of one of that universe's colony ships for his screen name. tongue.gif

Since this topic isn't tied in with any specific series, it's still on target. Macross II's connection with the various games of its area are pretty fast & loose. That period of Macross was essentially a free for all period with little in the way of attempting to string together canon. What does the OVA itself show? No colony fleets, nothing really branching out of the SOL system at all for that matter. After 80 some years, Earth's reconstruction was still fairly localized to rebuild Zentradi ship hulks (from what's shown), with the better part of the fleet we see also appearing to be rebuild Zentradi ship hulks (the canon ships). Valkyrie production was pretty stagnate, and again, the design of the OVA's version of the Macross contradicted both TV & DYRL canon.

The way Macross II was presented at it's time of creation, it's no wonder it had its budget severely cut. The only plus's it had going for it, were the Mikimoto designs, and the soundtrack. With Frontier's opening up of the Macross universe to include fold faults, long distance colonies that are suedo out of normal contact due to these very same fold faults (and actually explained as such), the Macross design going into mass production (which would allow for such a different design as the one shown in Macross II), the N.U.N.S., and privately funded colony fleets, that produce their own specialized Valkyrie runs (which would allow for the VF-2 series, and Metal Siren), we finally have a pluasable situation in which II can fit in with the rest of the series canon, should Kawamori decide to firmly adopt it.

Let me rephrase. If you're someone who excludes 90% of the canon Macross series, you're probably not so much a Macross fan.

That, I can largely agree with... however...

That period of Macross was essentially a free for all period with little in the way of attempting to string together canon.

As this still isn't a Macross II thread in any way, I'm not going to spend time delving into every little thing that's wrong with what you're saying here. If you take the supplementary materials away from any Macross series, you're left with pretty tenuous connections to the other shows and borderline-nonexistent connections to the games, so citing it as a specific fault in Macross II doesn't hold water. For your other complaints, there are explanations in the canon materials, if you had the patience to look for them or the wherewithal to remember the last several times I explained them. If you need it explained to you again, feel free to send me a private message.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Gonna have to disagree with you again there. Plus, 7, Zero, & Frontier have the lions share of their connectiosn in the animation itself. The suppliments for all of the above are more fun asides, like how DYRL was shot, or why Exedor's head is so big.

Okay...do you really know what you're saying here? Kawamori helped plan SDFM TV. He co-directed DYRL. He didn't write or direct any of Macross 7.

(Incidentally, the had writer and script supervisor for Macross 7, Sukehiro Tomita, was also the writer for a bunch of episodes of SDFM TV, and he also wrote DYRL and Macross II. So before you start bashing one Macross series with a different Macross series, it might be a good idea to find out who did what in each one. So people show up in surprising places.)

Okay, you got me, I haven`t checked my facts, but basically what I meant to say was that Kawamori had less autonomous control over the final product in the earlier shows than in everything since 7. I think Kawamori (whether designing, writing or directing) is best when he has limits on his control or is just part of a team, rather than the boss. Its basically the Lucas syndrome, who I believe had limited creative control for episodes IV-VI but complete unquestioned freedom for episodes I-III which turned out to be a very bad thing.

Actually, from what I understand (the making of Star Wars DVD that comes with my original SW trilogy DVD set) - Lucas had 100% creative control over the first three films because he independently financed them. No studio was interested in A New Hope so he financed the project himself - and therefore had full control...unless I'm totally forgeting something?....

Pete

Actually, from what I understand (the making of Star Wars DVD that comes with my original SW trilogy DVD set) - Lucas had 100% creative control over the first three films because he independently financed them. No studio was interested in A New Hope so he financed the project himself - and therefore had full control...unless I'm totally forgeting something?....

Pete

No, he had producers and 20th Century Fox looking over his shoulder for a New Hope. He was a salaried writer and director of the project only. He did create the idea but he did not finance it himself at all.

Episode I-III however he had the executive producer role and final say on everything.

Too much control by one person can be a bad thing, Just ask the people of Stalinist Russia or Nazi Germany. Or some fans of Macross :lol:

Okay, you got me, I haven`t checked my facts, but basically what I meant to say was that Kawamori had less autonomous control over the final product in the earlier shows than in everything since 7. I think Kawamori (whether designing, writing or directing) is best when he has limits on his control or is just part of a team, rather than the boss. Its basically the Lucas syndrome, who I believe had limited creative control for episodes IV-VI but complete unquestioned freedom for episodes I-III which turned out to be a very bad thing.

Are you sure he had completely autonomous control for Plus, Zero and Frontier (I'm excluding 7 because, again, he came up with the idea and designed the Valks, but I don't think he had much involvement with the actual production)? At the very least, are you sure he had less freedom than he did when he was directing DYRL?

The only people I ever hear comparing Kawamori to Lucas are people who haven't the first clue about the production of any Macross series. They latch onto the name "Kawamori" and throw everything from Marijuana references to control freak assertions at it...none of this has any basis in fact, and the more you investigate, the more you find out how EVERY Macross series is a collaborative effort.

That said...yes, Zero and Frontier were done by Kawamori's own studio. But I'm not sure he was quite as "hands on" as you're portraying him.

That said...yes, Zero and Frontier were done by Kawamori's own studio. But I'm not sure he was quite as "hands on" as you're portraying him.

well, we know that a good chunk of Frontier was written/rewritten by Hiroshi Ohnogi right. :lol:

Hello folks. I haven't posted here in a long time. I was long time Macross fan throughout the nineties and early part of the 2000's. I moved, didn't have access to alt.fan.macross anymore (that was my biggest connection to Macross fans; incidentally, I was probably the first regular there...), and fell out of the loop. I tried jumping back on the bandwagon, first with Zero, then with Frontier, but I didn't stick around for long. It's not really a knock on either series (actually, I disliked Zero, but that's beside the point), but maybe it was just that life and being a "hard core" Macross and anime fan got in the way of each other at times, and I unfortunately picked life. :p

I was talking on the phone with my sister about 6 weeks ago, and in passing she asked me about some differences between Robotech and SDFM. I started explaining some of the differences, and I decided to make a Dailymotion video (YouTube region blocked my stuff, grrr....) to show her side-by-side the differences she was asking about. And then I started feeling like a college otaku again. That was a lot of fun for me, and thus I felt really compelled to lurk this forum again.

So why bring up this mostly irrelevant story? Keith was laying out (BTW, Keith, I remember you well from AFM days... I see you're no less passionate than ever, and good for you, no sarcasm) some criteria of what makes a Macross fan. Well, I was as big a Macross fan as any 7-15 years ago, and today I think I only have a great love for the original series. I still like Plus, I liked Frontier, I liked parts of 7, etc., but I think if you aren't a fan of the original story, you're not a "Macross fan." You're a "II fan," or a "Plus fan," or a "7 fan," or Zero, or Frontier, whatever, but if you love the original Macross then you are a Macross fan no matter if you disavow anything that followed it. Oh yeah, and Robotech doesn't count, otherwise you're a "Robotech fan." :p

So why bring up this mostly irrelevant story? Keith was laying out (BTW, Keith, I remember you well from AFM days... I see you're no less passionate than ever, and good for you, no sarcasm) some criteria of what makes a Macross fan. Well, I was as big a Macross fan as any 7-15 years ago, and today I think I only have a great love for the original series. I still like Plus, I liked Frontier, I liked parts of 7, etc., but I think if you aren't a fan of the original story, you're not a "Macross fan." You're a "II fan," or a "Plus fan," or a "7 fan," or Zero, or Frontier, whatever, but if you love the original Macross then you are a Macross fan no matter if you disavow anything that followed it. Oh yeah, and Robotech doesn't count, otherwise you're a "Robotech fan." :p

I don't know about that. Personally I think the number one criteria for being a Macross fan is being a fan of the number one selling point for every Macross series - the Valkyries.

I don't know about that. Personally I think the number one criteria for being a Macross fan is being a fan of the number one selling point for every Macross series - the Valkyries.

It's certainly possible to like mecha designs without liking the storyline, but it's probably also possible to like a storyline while disliking the mecha. For me and Macross Frontier, I was kind of neutral about the mecha. My collecting days were long over, so I just wanted the VF's to be good enough, as opposed to atrocious. Even though I enjoyed the series, I can't tell you any specifics about the mecha right now, but since I can't remember anything bad then they probably were good.

Anyway, I was speaking specifically from the storyline perspective. I think it'd be awfully hard not to like the original Macross series and still call yourself a Macross fan. Disliking any follow-up, however, doesn't disqualify your status.

I'd disagree with some of you said. I think the problem here is with some people saying "I don't like Plus, Seven, zero or Frontier because its not macross" as if SDF was some pure, unimpeachable near religious text that everything must be defined by. To me saying that doesn't not make you a macross fan... it makes one somewhat of a "closed minded macross fan." I think all those series tie into aspects of macross and introduce their own... which add so much more to the entire series. And what is "the original macross? Is it SDF or DYRL? There are differences between each that makes it less clear what is "macross."

For example, When people say that Macross is gritty war drama and unlike its sequels... its kinda like huh? First off, macross wasn't as gritty as some of its contemporaries; Space Runaway Ideon and Gundam were far grittier in many respects, as was Armored Troopers Votoms. Sure you can say that kids were piloting the Gundam and the like, but more of their main characters perished than in Macross. And they didn't win against Zeon by singing their way out... thats for sure. Moreover I think Plus and Frontier are grittier in some respects (though I'd probably say that Frontier was at the same level as SDF Macross.) I know these are subjective judgements, but they are there to illustrate my point. I think to simply say that "macross is this way and the rest aren't like it," to me seems ignorant of what macross was like compared to the culture of its day as well as how successive releases compare to it and their contemporaries.

Edited by Noyhauser

Do we really need to go this route? Randomly deciding who's a fan and who isn't?

'Cause it's kinda lame.

First, welcome to the fold. As a wise man once said, you've taken your first step into a larger world.

As a Robotech fan who finally got around to watching SDF:M much later in life (actually saw DYRL, MacPlus, MacII, Mac7 and Zero beforehand) I can tell you this.

All the of the series' are great...some better then others but each containing what we all love, BAD ASS MECHA! ^_^

SDF:M/DYRL were the pioneers and started it all...I thank Robotech for the introduction and will love/hate it for life but the original Japanese story is superior in many ways that I won't get into on this thread...

Yes, Mac7 was not my favorite, definitely not for someone who is looking for a 100% serious series. It has been years since I've seen it and hoping to find a version with better subs...but I doubt it will overtake my current favorite, Macross Frontier.

Zero went beyond what all of us considered lore, and took a chance with the Protoculture but Azrael helped me see a point I hadn't thought of until now. And the VF-0 was too frakin sweet.

Macross Plus, another great production imo, no war but its a big universe and grounding the epic conflict down to a pair of test pilots and an AI was pretty cool. If you want to see a Valkrie pushed to its limits, watch this!

Macross II, we should be called Marduk Marines, because I'm one of the few and the proud that liked this mini series tremendously. Mecha design, ship design, story and characters were all just fine for me. So watch it, to me its 10000x better then Mac7 even if its not considered canon.

Macross Frontier, pure win...I'm on my third viewing and looking forward to the movie to get in my hands. Plenty of nods to the original series that made it an instant attachment as far as nostalgia goes. I felt just as good about the characters in this show as I did in the original and MacII. Not to mention the Macross Quarter kicks all kind of ass.

Edited by Zor Primus

Do we really need to go this route? Randomly deciding who's a fan and who isn't?

'Cause it's kinda lame.

My bad. I'm not trying to exclude anyone. Was just saying once you start liking Macross, it really doesn't matter if you don't like the follow-ups, that doesn't make you any less a fan. I do think it'd be weird, though, to find someone who says "I love Macross!" but thought lowly of the original. Not trying to start trouble...

So do you guys think it's better or worse, or of no significance at all, that all the major Macross projects feel so different from one another?