Splice

Went to see the film “Splice” this week and was rather impressed and at the same time repulsed by the movie. The story is about two geneticists Clive and Elsa played by Adrien Brody (The Pianist, King Kong) and Sarah Polley (My Life Without Me, Dawn of the Dead). The two have been splicing animal DNA to create new organisms and with their success they dare to illegally create a meta-human named Dren (played by Delphine Chanéac).

First thing one should know about this film is it’s deceptive marketing. Trailer fraud is presenting this film as a monster/action movie when it’s not. “Splice” has far more in common with David Cronenberg’s 1986 remake “The Fly” than it does with the much deplored “Species”. Second thing one should know is the film can be incredibly disturbing. Since it’s not the horror film it’s made out to be in the trailers, most of the upsetting sequences are far more personal and psychological. It’s difficult to describe what is so shocking without spoiling a large amount of the film. Say what one will about the deceptive marketing, at least the trailer doesn’t spoil the film itself. The performances in “Splice” are solid and the script is original. The effects are really good, especially for the character of Dren. The movie is a slow burn that builds a lot of tension toward the one action sequence at the end. Most of the movie is spent exploring the triumphs and follies of the two lead characters. It the choices made by these two brilliant but naïve scientists that ends up impacting their creation more than the science itself.

I’m not really sure I can recommend this movie but its worth mentioning simply because it’s so different than anything else out there right now. I suspect many would be startled and possibly repulsed by some of the issues explored in the film. But if you’re in the mood for some dark and disturbing science fiction and you’re a fan of films like Cronenberg’s “The Fly”, then “Splice” is worth checking out.

Man, I can't think of any part where I'd even consider laughing. ::edit:: Oh wait, yeah, when she smiles at the end of the very first scene at the farm, that was good. ::edit:: I do think "disturbing" is probably the best description. It's not gross/gory, it's not a suspense thriller, it's only barely even in the horror genre IMHO---the "scary" parts are such a small fraction of the total run time and mostly all clumped together at the end---a lot of PG movies are like that.

I think my favorite moment was "tedious".

PS--I didn't like the "big surprise" at the end (not the VERY end one, that one was SO obvious she didn't even need to stand up), even though it was blatantly foreshadowed (one of those things you don't realize was foreshadowed until it happens). Didn't ruin the movie, but definitely kinda ruined the end for me. That falls under the "squick" category.

::edit:: Oh man, where do you get a plush baby Dren?

Splice+Los+Angeles+Premiere+Arrivals+XQYHV1tepzel.jpg

I saw it on the weekend. I think this is one of those movies, like "Fight Club", that you'll either love or hate. I'm sort of in the middle, where I'm satisfied with what I saw but I'm not interested in watching it again.

So you're saying people will either love it, or hate it, or be somewhere in the middle? That's a bold prediction. (Just teasing).

"Species" was the first thing I thought when I saw the trailers too. I had no interest in this movie, but now I'm sort of curious.

Man, I can't think of any part where I'd even consider laughing.

The funniest bit was

the Fred and Ginger presentation when Ginger turned into a male and the two ripped each other apart and exploded out of the glass case splattering the audience.

I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, but I was in stitches. When the music quieted down I realized half the people in the theater were laughing too.

The other funny scene that comes to mind was

the coitus interruptus. The scene was sick and wrong, but again the theater burst out in laughter when Elsa walked in and caught them.

Maybe I was just with a really sick crowd that night. :D

So you're saying people will either love it, or hate it, or be somewhere in the middle? That's a bold prediction. (Just teasing).

I like to hedge my bets :)

Now that I think about it, I would probably rent it on DVD or Blu-ray if it came with good special features about the creature FX, which were very impressive.

The funniest bit was

the Fred and Ginger presentation when Ginger turned into a male and the two ripped each other apart and exploded out of the glass case splattering the audience.

For me and and audience I saw it with, it was the scene immediately after that, where the characters were in the conference room in awkward silence, until "Well... that could've went a lot better," or whatever David Hewlett's character said :D

Yeah, Fred and Ginger was a great sequence. It also provided foreshadowing of what was to come. It's kinda odd, but I ended up really feeling for Dren after all was said and done. Don't want to get into spoilers but I felt the film did a good job of showing her perspective.

I agree, I feel that Dren was the true 'hero' of the film. I don't know if a sequel is necessary, but I can't help but be curious as to which direction the story would go.

My morbid curiosity wants to know how the Dren/Elsa baby is born. Will it come out the normal way and be even more human? Will it rip it's way out? Will it devour Elsa after it's born?

:)

GO SEE IT! Support a fellow MacrossWorlder!! Plus its Canadian... haha...

I designed the Incubator that Dren was "born" from (did you see the Macross Vernier Thrusters? - I always try to hide that in everything I design).

This was a case of a smart small Canadian script, that was purchased by a big U.S. company (Joel Silver) and promoted by someone who didn't understand the point of the movie. Actually the marketing was over $35million when it only cost less than $30million to make the film!

I designed the Incubator that Dren was "born" from (did you see the Macross Vernier Thrusters? - I always try to hide that in everything I design).

This was a case of a smart small Canadian script, that was purchased by a big U.S. company (Joel Silver) and promoted by someone who didn't understand the point of the movie. Actually the marketing was over $35million when it only cost less than $30million to make the film!

The incubator was very cool, good work! I didn't catch the thrusters but I'll be buying the DVD so I'll look for them. Funny that they had so much for marketing and used the money so poorly. I'm sure this film will build a healthy cult following though once time passes, word gets out and more people see it. I'm getting really sick of mentioning the movie to friends and the first they every single person says is, "Oh, that Species rip-off?" MARKETING FAIL

I've been on the edge to go see this, but now that I know its not a horror / species rip off, I'll make the trip and watch it with some friends.

Just watched it, and wow is it marketed wrong. Not a horror movie at all, not even a suspense movie. More of a "what if" type with some very serious ethics questions in the mix.

Sure, you make a new lifeform. Now you have no idea how it will behave or even a clue to its basic life cycle.

I think the only creature with a stranger life cycle would be the Xenomorph from Aliens, but even that one is based on the aquatic hydroids of earth.

Just watched it, and wow is it marketed wrong. Not a horror movie at all, not even a suspense movie. More of a "what if" type with some very serious ethics questions in the mix.

Sure, you make a new lifeform. Now you have no idea how it will behave or even a clue to its basic life cycle.

I think the only creature with a stranger life cycle would be the Xenomorph from Aliens, but even that one is based on the aquatic hydroids of earth.

apologies for being obtuse but the movie sucked

oh definitely getting the canadian feel from this

WOW. Now I have to see this film again. Congratulations on your work. It helped make for a interesting film. Well done.