Captain America: First Avenger

EXO

If they're doing most or all of the movie in the 40's they really should go with something more like Ultimate captain america's costume

the concepts shown are cool but way too modern looking for WWII era.

While the uniform may look more like something that'd be '40s era, the mask gets a big NO. Too much of an S&M vibe going with that...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
And wasn't Marvel having that whole unique actor per character? Wasn't Evans the human torch?

Can't help it if Fantastic Four flopped....

Here are some of the pics from the Entertainment Weekly article:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/109625-more-captain-america-photos

Yeh, they'll have both the original and later shields.

I hope Chris Evans uses some real steroids before taking on this role, he is not credible as a super strong guy.

Agent One of all people approving the abuse of steroids?? WTF???

Taksraven

Agent One of all people approving the abuse of steroids?? WTF???

Taksraven

HAHA, not really. Steroids were first used for performance enhancement by the Nazis, and I am amused by the irony:

"The 1930’s synthesizing of testosterone marked the invention of AAS, as we know them today. Since then literally hundreds of different forms have been catalogued, while far fewer numbers were commercially produced.

Shortly after development, AAS were adapted for a variety of purposes including the increase of aggression in Nazi soldiers, elite-level athletics in the1950’s, and the very specific production for weightlifting athletes."

ref: http://www.steroidabuse.com/steroids-101.html

Our military knew this, but hadn't cracked the medical formula yet. Captain America was a comic written about what would happen if the allies figured it out. The comic wasn't just a blatant endorsement if steroid use, but a glamorization of it. I am just blown away that this comic is living on, so I figure if they are gonna keep the franchisee alive I wonder how they are going to either write around this, or embrace it.

Didn't they already address it in The Hulk? They just simply call it the Super Soldier Serum.

The Hulk was radiation... Super Soldier Serum = Synthetic Testosterone. We don't know what the Nazis called the drug, but it basically had the same goal, supersoldier.

The Hulk was radiation... Super Soldier Serum = Synthetic Testosterone. We don't know what the Nazis called the drug, but it basically had the same goal, supersoldier.

IIRC in the 2008 movie, it was a mix of the super soldier serum and gamma radiation. Kind of a mix of the original Marvel origin and the Ultimates version.

Yeah. But you're mixing up history and the established movie lore. In the Hulk movie they talked about the Super Soldier Experiments and they never mentioned steroids (IIRC). I mean it COULD be steroids but I don't remember them specifying it as such.

Yeah. But you're mixing up history and the established movie lore. In the Hulk movie they talked about the Super Soldier Experiments and they never mentioned steroids (IIRC). I mean it COULD be steroids but I don't remember them specifying it as such.

Well, we all know injecting steroids (along with some hard work in the gym) will make one superhuman so... Call it whatever you want. Its Anabolic Androgenic Steroids.

Well, we all know injecting steroids (along with some hard work in the gym) will make one superhuman so... Call it whatever you want. Its Anabolic Androgenic Steroids.

I'm not sure how far the technology has come over the past years; buuuuuuuut: if the side-effects are still basically the same as what they used to warn us against when I was younger, i.e. violent mood swings, emotional instability, shrunken testicles, etc....

then I'd hardly call that superhuman. The whole shrinking-balls thing would be more than enough to discourage me from trying that sh*t.

ed: while I think Hugo Weaving is good at playing bad guys, I can't help but wonder: couldn't they have found a good German actor to play Red Skull (Johann Shmidt)?

Edited by reddsun1

All this talk about steroids... everyone is forgetting the critical "vita-rays" that catalyzed the injected chemicals to complete the process (that, or there was a critical shortage of comic geeks participating in a thread about a comic book movie until I posted :p )

I'm not sure how far the technology has come over the past years; buuuuuuuut: if the side-effects are still basically the same as what they used to warn us against when I was younger, i.e. violent mood swings, emotional instability, shrunken testicles, etc....

then I'd hardly call that superhuman. The whole shrinking-balls thing would be more than enough to discourage me from trying that sh*t.

ed: while I think Hugo Weaving is good at playing bad guys, I can't help but wonder: couldn't they have found a good German actor to play Red Skull (Johann Shmidt)?

When they wrote the comic, they were unaware of the side effects.

• 2 months later...