VF-25A Messiah

sketchley

I was browsing through the Japanese wikipedia article on the VF-25 Messiah, and it mentioned the existance of the VF-25A.

linky: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%A1%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2_%28%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9%E3%82%B7%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%29

Text in question:

VF-25A(一般機)

標準型。頭部はG型と同形状だが、機能的な差異は不明。S.M.S.ではスカル小隊以外の隊員が搭乗する。

Scanlation:

VF-25A General/Ordinary Craft

The standard type. Even though the head is the same shape as the G model, it's functional difference is unknown. SMS group members, except those in Skull Squad, board it.

The article also cites a source:

『月刊ホビージャパン』2009年11月号 P181にてVF-25Aとの記載あり。

Scanlation:

"Monthly Hobby Japan" 2009.11. There is a record/statement of it on pg 181.

Does anyone have that issue of Hobby Japan? If so, can you provide a legible scan of the page?

I'm thinking so, too. But I'd like a bit more confirmation in a print source. Which is why I'm asking if anyone has a scan of the article - as hobby magazines sometimes make up ficticious mecha/equipment for an anime series. The good thing is that when they do, they do indicate that it's not canon.

A good example is the VF-25Gu Klan Custom.

Scanlation:

VF-25A General/Ordinary Craft

The standard type. Even though the head is the same shape as the G model, it's functional difference is unknown. SMS group members, except those in Skull Squad, board it.

's probably the khaki VF-25s we see during the final few episodes... I think I may have this issue. I'll check when I get home.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

vlcsnap2010060218h04m25.th.png

And there it is, in episode 7.

That was fast... I only mentioned the topic to you five minutes ago. :blink:

Yeah, that's almost certainly the culprit... though I don't recall ever seeing it up close in battroid mode. (Convenient model and texture reuse, making it a khaki VF-25G)

That was fast... I only mentioned the topic to you five minutes ago. :blink:

Yeah, that's almost certainly the culprit... though I don't recall ever seeing it up close in battroid mode. (Convenient model and texture reuse, making it a khaki VF-25G)

I don't think we ever saw a CF VF-25 in battroid or GERWALK period. Heck, they didn't even get a full FAST pack setup.

I don't think we ever saw a CF VF-25 in battroid or GERWALK period. Heck, they didn't even get a full FAST pack setup.

As sketchley noted, there hasn't been much literature on this VF-25A. Yes, I'm sure we're well aware that it appears in the series, but the amount of written info has been hard to come by. In 49 issues of the Chronicle (unless it magically appears in #50), there's been no mention of it. The Chronicle even mentions the VF-27-Beta and Gamma, in writing, but there's been no mention of this "A-version" of the VF-25. Not even a model for Bandai to milk the G-mold from.

As sketchley noted, there hasn't been much literature on this VF-25A. Yes, I'm sure we're well aware that it appears in the series, but the amount of written info has been hard to come by. In 49 issues of the Chronicle (unless it magically appears in #50), there's been no mention of it. The Chronicle even mentions the VF-27-Beta and Gamma, in writing, but there's been no mention of this "A-version" of the VF-25. Not even a model for Bandai to milk the G-mold from.

This is indeed strange. I too expected BANDAI to milk the Messiah mold and give us a brown VF25. I also had high hopes for this CF VF25 for Macross Chronicle, since they included the green VF27 even if it appears only for a couple of seconds, buit it seems we're not going to get it.

By the way, as MrMarch said, the VF25 cannon fodder battroid is shown in one scene but still has Skull 3 markings (I guess they were on low budget).

Edited by nexxstrait

As sketchley noted, there hasn't been much literature on this VF-25A. Yes, I'm sure we're well aware that it appears in the series, but the amount of written info has been hard to come by.

Well, yes... but it bodes well if we can confirm the data presented by other means if we can't get our hands on the article that originated the description. Once I get back from dinner I'll check and see if we have the issue on hand. Then we can MAYBE remedy said lack of written information... (which is, of course, contingent on whether or not the magazine actually covers the mecha in any depth)

EDIT @ 21:43: Nope, turns out I don't have that exact issue after all. Just the first three issues from that year.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I wouldn't be too sure Bandai won't put out a VF-25A kit.

As for the coloring, the 1/250 scale fighters show it to be more of a German Desert Tan, which is quite a bit lighter than the VF-1A brown.

The A-type must be canon because it showed up in Bandai's Macross Fighter Collection. It has a tan color and a G-type head.

Hmmmm... (quick internet-fu use later)

I'll be... http://bandai-hobby.net/macross/goods/f_collection2.shtml

(listed as VF-25A Mass Production Type)

Link with top view: http://auction.woman.excite.co.jp/item/136494107

Random other Japanese sites that have the VF-25A:

VFX: http://ysflight.s31.xrea.com/beginner/?VFX

VF-25A kit mod blog: http://blog.livedoor.jp/sanaki0527/archives/cat_10026005.html (groovy, LARGE picts)

but the amount of written info has been hard to come by. In 49 issues of the Chronicle (unless it magically appears in #50), there's been no mention of it. The Chronicle even mentions the VF-27-Beta and Gamma, in writing, but there's been no mention of this "A-version" of the VF-25.

Next to none, is more like it. Google searches in Japanese of the VF-25A net only links to sales sites for the Bandai VF collection OR blogs and other non-canon sources that mostly deal with scratch builds and kit bashes.

I've just spent the past few days scouring Macross Chronicle for any mention of the VF-25A.

There is none.

Macross Chronicle even goes so far as to call the VF-25A the "standard version".

So... having Bandai release a VF set with the VF-25A in it is a big step in the direction of proving it's a canon designation. Nevertheless, just remember that the Japanese wikipedia article that started this topic has to have a source cited to prove it exists; and that's only one, known, source.

Edited by sketchley

Next to none, is more like it. Google searches in Japanese of the VF-25A net only links to sales sites for the Bandai VF collection OR blogs and other non-canon sources that mostly deal with scratch builds and kit bashes.

I'm getting the weird feeling that the Hobby Japan listing might be for the 1/250 Bandai VF collection model. I've never known Hobby Japan to spotlight many scratch-built kits like Dengeki Hobby unless they're highlighting the VF-25G kit in that page and showing how it would look repainted. But like I said, of kits that could be milked, I find it a little odd that Bandai hasn't put out a VF-25A kit (which would be a mostly recolored VF-25G). We've had a Deculture-version of the G (the one with the Klan-decals) and we've gotten a VF-27-Beta. But no VF-25A yet? :unsure:

I'm getting the weird feeling that the Hobby Japan listing might be for the 1/250 Bandai VF collection model. I've never known Hobby Japan to spotlight many scratch-built kits like Dengeki Hobby unless they're highlighting the VF-25G kit in that page and showing how it would look repainted. But like I said, of kits that could be milked, I find it a little odd that Bandai hasn't put out a VF-25A kit (which would be a mostly recolored VF-25G). We've had a Deculture-version of the G (the one with the Klan-decals) and we've gotten a VF-27-Beta. But no VF-25A yet? :unsure:

Well Bandai is a big company and getting it to move in any direction is like turning an oil tanker. It will turn, it just takes a long time....;)

Hmmmm... (quick internet-fu use later)

I'll be... http://bandai-hobby....llection2.shtml

(listed as VF-25A Mass Production Type)

If you compare the coloring on the VF-1A in the back row on the right side to the VF-25A on the left side of the back row, you get an idea of the color difference. Then you can also compare the VF-25A to the green VF-27B just below and to the left of it in the second row.

Edited by Zinjo

Isn't the vf-25a that web exclusive model with the different head sculpt and the orange/white color scheme???

I think you're thinking of the YF-25 Prophecy...