INCEPTION - July 2010

ever see the real time

?

Yeah, thats pretty good. Stuff like that started to appear as soon as the DVD was out.

More obscure stuff,

Check out Mal's expression as Saito gets angry....

10oqi44.jpg

AND, the other famous one, with Yusuf giving the finger to the projections as he drives off the bridge......

j0bths.jpg

Opposite for me--didn't see the finger, saw her expression.

I don't recall either. Interesting. And, funny.

My favorite mistake was in Presumed Innocent, when a reporter comes up to Harrison Ford with a tape recorder right infront of the camera, and the tape recorder is empty.

This was before Digital Recorders. And, once again, I have dated myself.

Correct. It is in the shooting script therefore not a mistake.

That's why I love Nolan. His films are so layered that my wife and I discuss them for weeks after we've seen them! Even if she doesn't like them (like the dark knight). How can you NOT like Batman 2? Really! :)

I don't recall either. Interesting. And, funny.

My favorite mistake was in Presumed Innocent, when a reporter comes up to Harrison Ford with a tape recorder right infront of the camera, and the tape recorder is empty.

This was before Digital Recorders. And, once again, I have dated myself.

I just noticed that the other day when I saw it again afer a long time. I had to rewind just to make sure I saw what I saw. lol!!!

How can you NOT like Batman 2? Really! :)

I could give a long list that in summation comes up as "he must have done an aweful lot of planning to pull of those explosions, especially for someone who doesn't play well with others", but that does not belong in a thread about Inception - which is a very good film.

I could give a long list that in summation comes up as "he must have done an aweful lot of planning to pull of those explosions, especially for someone who doesn't play well with others", but that does not belong in a thread about Inception - which is a very good film.

There's at least one website I know of that's dedicated to picking apart Inception and no doubt Dark Knight as well. Freaking Debbie Downers...

There's at least one website I know of that's dedicated to picking apart Inception and no doubt Dark Knight as well. Freaking Debbie Downers...

Probably be interesting to read, the difference is that while watching Inception I was drawn into the story, while watching Dark Knight I spent at least half the time going "And NOBODY noticed all those explosives being planted in the Hospital / Boat" - it's always bad news for a film when the suspension of disbelief is so thoroughly shattered while the scene is still playing.

An experience I had:

I had gone to the video store looking for a movie. The inception trailer proceeded to play. I hear a woman off in the distance say "I hate that movie" her husband ask her why. She then says "I don't like a movie that makes me think too hard."

I then walk away.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

An experience I had:

I had gone to the video store looking for a movie. The inception trailer proceeded to play. I hear a woman off in the distance say "I hate that movie" her husband ask her why. She then says "I don't like a movie that makes me think too hard."

I then walk away.

LOL. And there you have the exact reason why "The Kings Arse Speech" is going to clean up at the Academy Awards this year and Inception will be lucky to get anything.

LOL. And there you have the exact reason why "The Kings Arse Speech" is going to clean up at the Academy Awards this year and Inception will be lucky to get anything.

There's also the fact that they hate science fiction.

Edited by anime52k8

• 4 weeks later...

How right you were. Those things are rigged anyway.

They won but not in the categories that matter to Executives.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Eh, if Star Wars could lose in '77 to Annie Hall, Saving Private Ryan in '98 to Shakespeare in Love, you can't help but notice the trend. The only movies that typically do well in Oscar type awards shows are the artsy-fartsy, non-violence oriented, approved by man-hating feminists movies. With the categories that it won, it would've been better if Inception had just been left out of that sham of an awards show completely...

Fanboy much? It might not be your cup of tea, but its hard to deny that the King's Speech was extremely well done and deserved most of the accolades it received. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Inception and thought it was a great film. But King's Speech was truly a great piece of film-making, it had the same attention to detail as Inception but with better acting and polish.

Eh, if Star Wars could lose in '77 to Annie Hall, Saving Private Ryan in '98 to Shakespeare in Love, you can't help but notice the trend. The only movies that typically do well in Oscar type awards shows are the artsy-fartsy, non-violence oriented, approved by man-hating feminists movies. With the categories that it won, it would've been better if Inception had just been left out of that sham of an awards show completely...

Saving Private Ryan didn't win because of the Thin Red Line. Basically it was another great war film (arguably better in many ways) that split the vote with Private Ryan and left the Shakespeare to win. And Artsie rarely win either... one look at the last few winners makes that evident: Lord of the Rings, No Country for Old Men, The Departed and the Hurt Locker. I doubt No Country and the Departed could be considered "non-violent" or man-hating.

Fanboy much? It might not be your cup of tea, but its hard to deny that the King's Speech was extremely well done and deserved most of the accolades it received. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Inception and thought it was a great film. But King's Speech was truly a great piece of film-making, it had the same attention to detail as Inception but with better acting and polish.

I won't deny being a fanboy, but at the end of the day a King's Speech/Inception comparison is really apples and oranges. I don't doubt that Kings Speech is a great piece of film making (have not had a chance to see it yet though), but I think that it does tick most of the boxes when it comes to the sort of thing that the Academy is after in what they consider to be a "successful" film. Inception was epic fail in one of the first areas that these films are judged, and that is that it was an SF film. BIG NO NO!!

Even though most areas of filmmaking are dedicated to escapism, SF, the ultimate escapist genre is always seen as some sort of unworthy bastard child. I *know* that there are plenty of SF films out there that are absolutely shite B-Films, but there are also plenty that hold their own against what are considered to be more mainstream films.

In fact, if you look at the 25 top-grossing films of all time, (a list that Inception is on but will be bumped out of the top 25 by the next Harry Potter film), pretty much all of them are either animated, fantasy or SF. (The major exception is Titanic.)

Saving Private Ryan didn't win because of the Thin Red Line. Basically it was another great war film (arguably better in many ways) that split the vote with Private Ryan and left the Shakespeare to win. And Artsie rarely win either... one look at the last few winners makes that evident: Lord of the Rings, No Country for Old Men, The Departed and the Hurt Locker. I doubt No Country and the Departed could be considered "non-violent" or man-hating.

Look at LOTR on that list though. That was an obvious Academy knee-jerk reaction to a film series being very popular and successful, but they only get acknowleged with the last film in the series?? (In my opinion the Two Towers was the best of the bunch)

Someone made a comment on a site I forget at the moment, but they basically summed it up like this:

In the past the academy has shown a distinct preference for movies involving British royalty, health/developmental disorders, and WWII. The King's Speech was like a triple whammy.

Soo... yeah. For them, Inception was like a pack of Star Wars cosplayers putting on a completely and utterly epic skit at a Star Trek convention. It may be incredibly awesome, but not at all what they want to see. tongue.gif

And I pretty much think the only reason they finally gave Return of the King best picture was because of the outcry that they snubbed the series the previous two years. I'll be anxious to see what kind of treatment they give The Hobbit.

Edited by Chronocidal

the king's speech was a double whammy. A period piece about a character who has an issue that they must overcome.

So yeah. it was a guaranteed winner.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...