Bandai planning to re-release more classic IMAI kits

AcroRay

In the June HOBBY JAPAN is an article covering Bandai's plans for vintage Macross kit re-releases. Sure, they've done that several times already. But the article shows a warehouse full of IMAI tooling, including the classic DESTROID MONSTER kit, and offers a poll they are (or will be) soliciting collector input on what kits to release - including the highly sought-after 1/100 ARMORED FACTORY.

I've attached copies of scans, courtesy Super Robot Wars Hot News. Page 161 features the kit list on the lower right side of the article. On page 162 the tooling is pictured. The Destroid Monster is bottom center.

Its amazing to see all that tooling standing ready to be cleaned up and loaded into the injectors - like a warehouse full of 'Arks of the Covenant'. For years, popular rumor had it that many of these kits had been scrapped.

Obviously, Bandai can be said be a bit behind the race on some of this stuff. Hasegawa, and now Wave have been filling the gaps on a lot of these kits in these scales that Bandai has apparently had collecting dust in storage just shy of forever. Still, it would be a nice infusion of nostalgia for this collector to pick up some Imai kits I had missed in the 80s or traded/sold in the interviening decades...

(Special thanks to MicroBry for looking over the article and telling me the details!)

post-1561-1273191216_thumb.jpg

post-1561-1273191265_thumb.jpg

The bandai macross kits are a joke. The Frontier ones are great but the SDFM and DYRL ones that they are reissuing require so much work to get a decent finish and are mostly silly sculpts.

Interesting. I would certainly be up for a 'Monster'!

However, it would be really, really nice if we saw something new like a 1/72 VF-11. I don't think that will ever happen now though. Still, it's a pretty good time to be a Macross modeler!

I had the 1/200 Monster back in the 80s. Apart from some posing problems due to the lack of poly-caps, I thought it was a great, accurate kit.

Notice they've got several of the SD kits on the voting list, along with the Quel-Quallie and a 1/5000 Macross. And the 1/72 Destroid Spartan.

The 1/12 figure kits are on the list, too. But I can't imagine why they'd even bother. Those are truly out-dated by a huge array of other modern figure products.

I have a built 1/5000 TV Macross, but for long time I been thinking about to modificate another one for make it in Robot mode.

I'd say this is good news. I wouldn't mind getting the Macross Factory and the Armored Valkyrie kits.

These old Imai kits are great for experiments and kit building experience.

The article says that when Imai collapsed, many of the workers joined Bandai's model kits division. The guy being interviewed is one of the few remaining old guards.

It's not far-fetched to say that the existence and knowledge of these molds were forgotten to time.

Edited by Vifam7

I love working those classic kits. They can be a pain in the ass, but I have a lot of fun whipping them into shape. I would buy them all. Bring 'em on, Bandai!

It's not far-fetched to say that the existence and knowledge of these molds were forgotten to time.

It's amazing that a company can get so large and complicated that they can actually forget they've got several TONS of metal tooling in their inventory! :lol:

Still got my 1/200 monster from 1984/5 in all its badly built up ness. If they rerelease at least I can build one properly this time. Hope fully they might drag out the 1/72 GBP as my minty in box one is far to much of a temptation for me not to build.

Come on Bandai so I can get new ones and save my vintage collection.

It's amazing that a company can get so large and complicated that they can actually forget they've got several TONS of metal tooling in their inventory! :lol:

Yeah back in 1993 I worked for them for a while, our warehouse was like a scaled down version of the one from the X Files, some of the stuff in there was just junk but nowadays would be gold dust.

I just came across some of these kits in lower Naha City, Okinawa.

My favorite 24HR indoor flea market had fully stocked shelves of hard to find "oldie-goodies", including IMAI Macross TV era, Queadlruun armour, the StormAttacker SDF[mebbe 1/5000], a Glaug, a HWK Monster and a Defender(?...tan, cloven hoof feet and dual-rifle gun forearms?).

Prices were much steeper than their other Gundam heavy stock. ~$60-90 per kit--only 1 of each type, although 2 of the Defenders. I said naww. i get the impression the horrible economy is forcing the very last, grey-haired hobby shop owners in feeble retirement to sell off the last of their well hidden, basement stock & re-issues. So many old, obscure 70's & 80's anime kits surfacing, but still demanding hi prices.

I like the idea of having Bandai re-issuing the old Imai Macross kits, hopefully the 1/72 Zentradi Tactical and Commander Pods.

But I wish Bandai would do Perfect Grade Macross kits, like the Gundam kits, that fit perfectly with highly detailed parts and decals. :D

lower right corner of first image says a macross re-issue waiting list:

8. Destroid spartan

9. Destroid defender

10. Regult

12. Destroid Monster

14. Macross SDF-1 cruiser

15-18 are main character figures in 1:12

Part of the article is careful instructions for how to pick a couple of favorites and send your choices to Bandai. They're soliciting input, not offering a release schedule - much as we'd hope for one.

The Monster at Shizuoka may have just been an example of potential product for marketing purposes, rather than an actual statement of upcoming product.

Edited by AcroRay

Honestly, I don't see the point of these re-issues. The only reason I'd want the old kits is my nostalgic feelings for the original box art/layout. The kits themselves are badly proportioned, poorly (or not) articulated and just generally sub-standard compared to anything currently being offered, which is why I've been known to snap-up old kits, keep the boxes and dump the (useless) plastic contents on my friends.

But not to fear, I'm sure that the re-issues will come at the newer, "correct" inflation-adjusted prices, even though the tooling was all paid for over a quarter-century ago.

Yeah but its more affordable. Look at Mechtech whos building his ship. a 1/200 monster is going to be much cheaper to come buy these days then what they are now. In the long run it will save him money. $40.00 is better then $80.00+ dollers.

Yeah but its more affordable. Look at Mechtech whos building his ship. a 1/200 monster is going to be much cheaper to come buy these days then what they are now. In the long run it will save him money. $40.00 is better then $80.00+ dollers.

Indeed the cheaper price may attract more kids into this hobby. Think of how much we pay for a box of imai/arii macross model compare to the price that bandai is selling the newer kits right now. The model hobby is getting more and more expensive. It's a hobby for people that are able to earn a lot. Do you think a father will let his son start a hobby in model. Many of my colleagues want to introduce their kids into building models and they usually ask for my opinion/ I'll just tell them to think of how much he is going to pay for the start up tools (glues,paints,knives, sand papers...) I'll stop them from buying them expensive models. But you know with kids... they want what others have. They end up trashing all the expensive models...

Lesser and lesser kids or younger generations are into this hobby. I'm born in the 60's I still remember that buying a little box of model here in HK during the 70's was around 1.5HKD and if you buy a box of model that comes with motors then it'll be 20-30 dollars. The 1/100 macross kit in the 80s are 20-30 HKD. I already cannot afford to buy one. Right now a 1/72 Macross Frontier kit are around 300-700 HKD. I won't bother to buy it for my son.

It's just tooo expensive.

Indeed the cheaper price may attract more kids into this hobby. Think of how much we pay for a box of imai/arii macross model compare to the price that bandai is selling the newer kits right now. The model hobby is getting more and more expensive. It's a hobby for people that are able to earn a lot. Do you think a father will let his son start a hobby in model. Many of my colleagues want to introduce their kids into building models and they usually ask for my opinion/ I'll just tell them to think of how much he is going to pay for the start up tools (glues,paints,knives, sand papers...) I'll stop them from buying them expensive models. But you know with kids... they want what others have. They end up trashing all the expensive models...

Lesser and lesser kids or younger generations are into this hobby. I'm born in the 60's I still remember that buying a little box of model here in HK during the 70's was around 1.5HKD and if you buy a box of model that comes with motors then it'll be 20-30 dollars. The 1/100 macross kit in the 80s are 20-30 HKD. I already cannot afford to buy one. Right now a 1/72 Macross Frontier kit are around 300-700 HKD. I won't bother to buy it for my son.

It's just tooo expensive.

Cheaper is debatable, since we have yet to see what the re-issued kits will retail for. Second, unlike "Gunpla" kits, the old Macross kits actually require considerably more dexterity and skills to put together, so the idea that they'd be aimed at a younger audience does not jive with me. Third, using the second point, the re-issues are also not molded in the component-specific proper colors like Gunpla, and because of all the puttying that's needed to get surfaces flush, they will need to be painted to look half-way decent, so when you factor in the cost of sanding supplies, putty and paints, it probably comes out to more than the cost of a similar size Gunpla kit.

Then again, if you can get a young child to master those kits, they'll really develop excellent building/finishing skills that many of the current Gunpla-only youngsters have lost.

Cheaper is debatable, since we have yet to see what the re-issued kits will retail for. Second, unlike "Gunpla" kits, the old Macross kits actually require considerably more dexterity and skills to put together, so the idea that they'd be aimed at a younger audience does not jive with me. Third, using the second point, the re-issues are also not molded in the component-specific proper colors like Gunpla, and because of all the puttying that's needed to get surfaces flush, they will need to be painted to look half-way decent, so when you factor in the cost of sanding supplies, putty and paints, it probably comes out to more than the cost of a similar size Gunpla kit.

Then again, if you can get a young child to master those kits, they'll really develop excellent building/finishing skills that many of the current Gunpla-only youngsters have lost.

Actually these old kits are good skill improvement kits. Once once one is adept at Gunpla, the next step in the learning process is to build a traditional glue and paint kit. For beginners, I wouldn't recommend jumping straight into a rather expensive Hasegawa. A cheap Arii or Imai kit will do.

Cheaper is debatable, since we have yet to see what the re-issued kits will retail for.

Well, the original Imai Monster sold for, what, 700 yen? And the original Imai Queadluun Rau sold for 700 yen as well, I believe... And in Bandai's latest reissue of the Imai Queadluun Rau, they sold it for 1000 yen - about 50% price increase. So that gives us a rough idea of the cost of a Bandai-reissued Monster.

I believe they'll probably increase the price a little more - maybe 1200-1600 yen? It's all speculation, of course...

It's true that the old Imai and Arii kits have a lot of problems - and I agree, they're really not well-matched to the expectations of gunpla builders these days. But I would buy and build 'em. I built up an Imai Queadluun Rau - had a few problems with it (the worst: the backpack unit is hollow, built out of two halves - these had a nasty tendency to crack apart under minor stresses... It's something you have to deal with with old kits, the mating surfaces often aren't that good. I've heard it helps to sand the mating surfaces square first.)

Now, when I first got the Queadluun Rau kit, I looked at all the things that were wrong... This proportion wrong, that detail poor, whatever - I wanted to correct all that. But years later when I actually built the thing, I just built it straight and gave it the best paint job I could manage. It actually looks quite good, I think. Sometimes just a little TLC and a good paint job can do wonders for a kit that's otherwise basically a lemon.

There's a fair number of things I'm not entirely happy about with the Imai Monster (I own two already) and some aspects of the construction are fairly frustrating - but if it really is reissued, I would buy more, for a few reasons:

• It's cheap
  • It looks pretty good
  • It's in scale with my Nichimo collection
  • It's small enough that I could realistically do a "Daedalus Attack" diorama.

I'm the sort of modeler who's willing to deal with some of the frustrations of an old kit. Actually, I like the simplicity of them... New kits tend to introduce all kinds of extra complication (moving internal frame and so on) and a lot of it just isn't necessary. I do feel like there's something nice about dealing with a kit that has just the parts you need to build the subject. Of course, a lot of people don't feel this way about old kits... Like the other Arii and Imai reissues Bandai has done, the Imai Monster isn't for them. But since Bandai already has the tooling, if people will buy it, it makes perfect sense to do a run of the kit...

The release could go either way. Bandai could mark them up as 'collector editions' in limited quantities, or be just as likely to try to pop them out cheap like the last run with a wider distro. Depends on which buyer segment they think they'll get their best sales at. Some of that will depend on how much cleaning and repair the tooling needs, and what special considerations need to be made if they're standardized to injection molding setups that Bandai doesn't have active in their production lines right now. I'd like to hear what the folks at HLJ might have asked Bandai and been told about the effort.

Admittedly, these are a bit below the quality of current kits. But if priced accordingly, I'm happy with a kit tooled up to earlier - even antiquated standards. There is a segment of the hobbyist population that does appreciate 'vintage kits', which I think these qualify as. I would shell out $20 for the old 1/200 Monster kit.

Oh - and way to go Bandai with that Destroid Monster test shot at Shizuoka. :wacko: Why do they always have people set these things up who have no idea how to pose an articulated kit in an appealing way? Thing looks like that poor 'surprise me' kitten from YouTube... Tickle-tickle-BOO! Agh!

I'll definitely pick up a few of these if they come true. Probably more than one Monster, too.

I love working those classic kits. They can be a pain in the ass, but I have a lot of fun whipping them into shape. I would buy them all. Bring 'em on, Bandai!

That's the spirit! cool.gif

• 4 months later...

Yayyyy! I don't feel toooo bad about shelling out $40 each for the 1/72 Defender and Spartan in the vintage market a year or so ago. B)) Now I can have a new Monster and Regult plamodel.

I can't imagine they'd go to the effort to re-tool them into snap kits. Still, weirder things have happened. Either way, I'd be happy!

Edited by AcroRay