Bandai planning to re-release more classic IMAI kits

AcroRay

Looking at the buildup of the Imai Regult and some of its idiosyncrasies, I think it is rather apparent that it served as the model for Matchbox's large scale ROBOTECH toy.

For those not familiar with the old school kits, Hobbysearch has photos up where you can see what to expect in terms of seamlines:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10129345b/30/1

Look at the old, yellowed decals on that and the obvious stand-in decal on the arms. That's a VINTAGE kit they're displaying! :blink:

Look at the old, yellowed decals on that and the obvious stand-in decal on the arms. That's a VINTAGE kit they're displaying! :blink:

Yup thats the colour my Monsters decals have gone and its vintage 1985. Hopefully the new one when it gets here will have nice crisp new ones that wont yellow after 25 years :p

• 2 weeks later...

I'll note that according to a friend of mine who built and still owns a vintage Imai 1/72 Regult kit the eye is made to accept a grain-of-wheat bulb so it can light up, and the back hatch opens to allow access for a battery and electronics! No electronic elements were included with the kit, but the structural elements are there, and there's no detail inside of the pod's hull for the hatch to reveal.

Apparently lighting wasn't noted in the instructions as he recalls, but there's a light pipe in the inside portion of the red plastic eye that fits a bulb (similar to Bandai's light-up SPACE CRUISER YAMATO EDF Andromeda kit). The effect is that the eye seems to follow you as you walk around it.

So, I hope this feature is still part of Bandai's re-issue of the kit, and that they might expand on the directions for the feature, or even included some parts.

Edited by AcroRay

The grain of wheat bulb could be replaced with an LED and watch batteries they would last for ages and weigh virtually nothing.

A watch battery won't last for ever even with an LED. In fact, I remember when I built Bandai's GP-01 several years ago; there was an LED for the eyes powered by a watch battery (an 8$ battery!) and it died in less than 8 hours of use. Just thought I'd put that out there.

That looks like just a good, clean, flawless build of that kit with a great paint job. It really is a good kit and with some good model building skills, especially seam elimination, it will turn out very nice.

Thanks for the pics.

The Graphics build has some modifications to the leg articulation, and they've made the shoulder missile launchers loaded, with opening hatches. The stock kit has the shoulder launchers sealed and molded into the shoulder halves.

Yeah, I forgot that the shoulder missile hatches don't open on the original kit. Still, I think it shows that the original is still a good basis to build from and it just takes a little attention to get it looking quite good.

:o That looks sweet! Have to ask, what issue of Model Graphix is that?

It's from the December issue.

I think the leg articulation mod is the most important to give this kit a decent appearance. Surface detail was ok on the Imai kits, so if you can live with the deviations from the original art, work on these seams, give it a nice paintjob and build up your Destroid Army without shelling out a fortune on garage kits or the updated releases.

I have both the old Imai Tomahawk, and the new Wave one and really there is no comparison. The new one is just beautifully engineered and reproduced. Having said this, that old-school Spartan build-up looks fantastic, I almost thought it was a new Wave release!

Edited by PetarB

I have both the old Imai Tomahawk, and the new Wave one and really there is no comparison. The new one is just beautifully engineered and reproduced. Having said this, that old-school Spartan build-up looks fantastic, I almost thought it was a new Wave release!

I have both the old Tomahawk and Defender, and the (Imai) Defender is already a major improvement against the (ARII) Tomahawk. I agree that the new Wave kits are fantastic, but there's no reasom for a somewhat experienced modeler to shy away from the old kits. I think you can get great results with the Regult and Monster with an OOB build and a good paintjob.

Pre-ordered the Regult, can't beat that price.

Does anyone have pics of the Imai 1/100 'Amored Space Suit' (zent officer) next to a Imai 1/72 Regult or Glaug?

(wondering if it looks like that 1/100th officer could squeeze into that 1/72 glaug)

The "Armored Space Suit" figure is actually pretty close to John Moscato's Kamjin resin kit in size.

• 2 weeks later...

Hobby Search has some detailed scans of the Regult's instructions. Some seriously nice articulation on the legs and cannons. The chin guns are not articulated, but it wouldn't be impossible to do so. Nice! Can't wait for mine, or for the opportunity to build it someday... :lol:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10129343z/70/1

Edited by AcroRay

I loved the base of the first monster better. In the series it's making that "stomp" on the Daedalus and crushing the armor plate. If I was the captain, I'd be like, "how many times did we tell you not to walk on the deck." The second model has a much better pose on it. It's interesting that thing has "hover feet." Talk about some serious thrust! Thanks EI for posting!

And yes, I bought a monster for my son and I to build and two pods. He gets two models and I get one pod to add to my collection. I never did get a pod all those years ago! - MT