Bandai planning to re-release more classic IMAI kits

AcroRay

Cheaper is debatable, since we have yet to see what the re-issued kits will retail for. Second, unlike "Gunpla" kits, the old Macross kits actually require considerably more dexterity and skills to put together, so the idea that they'd be aimed at a younger audience does not jive with me. Third, using the second point, the re-issues are also not molded in the component-specific proper colors like Gunpla, and because of all the puttying that's needed to get surfaces flush, they will need to be painted to look half-way decent, so when you factor in the cost of sanding supplies, putty and paints, it probably comes out to more than the cost of a similar size Gunpla kit.

Then again, if you can get a young child to master those kits, they'll really develop excellent building/finishing skills that many of the current Gunpla-only youngsters have lost.

My sentiments exactly!! I'm with the captain on this one, the only redeeming quality to these kits is their box artwork. However, I did cut my chops on them back in the day - it was an exercise in frustration. It certainly taught me patience, disappointment and the ability to substantially modify a given thing to make it better myself! (of course in hindsight, it took time away from dating! - argh!!) I built every one of those back in the day... of which I think the little Nichimos and the Monster are the only one's I still have today.

That Monster isn't poorly posed, its the only way it can be posed! The guns are non-moveable and the joints on the legs can only swivel in 1 direction!

The only good to come out of this is that I hope it will generate enough interest in the original series or Macross in general to warrant new toolings to be produced. Or possibly a new art book that has nice reproductions of the original box art paintings. ;-)

Well, I don't think those 4 kits are the only reissues that Bandai's bringing.

Hofefully that there will announce more additional reissues kits.

But remember that Bandai only owns molds from Imai, and no Arii.

Looking at the detroids they've chosen, they are cognizant of the recent Wave releases and have chosen to supplement the recent releases, so they don't oversaturate and end up wiht a bunch of peg warmers. I'd bet they'd also rush to beat competitors to the punch with re-releases of old stuff that someone else was looking at putting out.

So if some someone else was thinking about releaseing a Regult, or a Monster, they just may have lost part of their market.

I think I may try and get a Monster and maybe a Regult the monster just for old times sake and the Regult due to my missing getting Mr Moscato's rendition, everything else I am more than happy with my Moscato versions so unless John hasnt made it I wont bother.

Part of what interests me is the Pain in the Ass build quality, makes it more of a challenge IMO.

I am then only really bothered about the SDF 1/5000 as I have nothing of the SDF1.

I think I may try and get a Monster and maybe a Regult the monster just for old times sake and the Regult due to my missing getting Mr Moscato's rendition, everything else I am more than happy with my Moscato versions so unless John hasnt made it I wont bother.

Part of what interests me is the Pain in the Ass build quality, makes it more of a challenge IMO.

I am then only really bothered about the SDF 1/5000 as I have nothing of the SDF1.

WAY back in the day, I remember owning the Imai 1/72 Destroid Spartan, never could get my hands on the 1/72 Defender. Never got around to the Spartan before losing it in a most unfortunate plumbing related accident, LOL - so these reissues will be welcome. Now the question: proportionally and detail wise, the Spartan SEEMED like it was pretty decent, hopefully the fit isn't a total PITA, has anyone here actually ever built it? Or can comment on poportions,etc. of the Defender?

well atleast they are using the exactly old box art with new company logo, Bandai redesigned all the box art when they took over all Imai kits in early 90s.

The old Arii and Imai box art rules, just the mecha on white back ground with Text crossing vertically.

They won't be oversaturated since those reissues are to be made in very limited run, and only available for very short time.

I don't know about that. They're spending a good amount of money refurbishing the molds and machinery so I would expect them to reissue these kits over and over from time to time.

I also wouldn't put it past Bandai from playing a little hardball with competitors and putting this stuff out, only because Wave started making Macross kits. It's hard to know what their motivations are, but I find it a little suspicious and strangely coincidental that this is happenign right around the time Wave it just starting to come to market with some Macross kits that haven't been sold since the Arai / Imai days.

WAY back in the day, I remember owning the Imai 1/72 Destroid Spartan, never could get my hands on the 1/72 Defender. Never got around to the Spartan before losing it in a most unfortunate plumbing related accident, LOL - so these reissues will be welcome. Now the question: proportionally and detail wise, the Spartan SEEMED like it was pretty decent, hopefully the fit isn't a total PITA, has anyone here actually ever built it? Or can comment on poportions,etc. of the Defender?

Both kits are fine. There's a lot of dismay at the build quality, I don't understand it unless the population of this board is substantially younger than you'd expect from a bunch of Macross fans. :p

Sure, standards have improved these days, but if you can handle a tube of putty, a square of wet-and-dry and an airbrush, you'll be fine.

I'll certainly pick up a Monster, at least.

When I was a little boy, I remember seeing these in the shop for the first time. I had - at that stage - had absolutely no exposure to anime, robotech, anything, but as an SF nut I knew from the artwork that this was like a window into a parallel universe, and I had to go there, I'd never seen anything like them. They had a HUGE impact on me, and while I remember being a bit disappointed by the actual models themselves, they started my love affair with all things Macross, and anime. I would LOVE to get posters of the covers of these boxes. Those paintings are just awesome.

Yeah they are some of the best. Those artworks got me hooked and into Macross/Robotech and drawing robots etc. Added to Transformers they are the most influential in my life when it comes to SciFi.

The original art work was recently sold off, it was posted here, I think they went for a high price. I'd settle for a nice hi def scan :)

Both kits are fine. There's a lot of dismay at the build quality, I don't understand it unless the population of this board is substantially younger than you'd expect from a bunch of Macross fans. :p

Sure, standards have improved these days, but if you can handle a tube of putty, a square of wet-and-dry and an airbrush, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the heads-up! Now, to figure out who'll be getting them in online....and when >___> <___< Assuming HLJ...

Grapeape, the Spartan is a nice kit regardless of it's age. I built one and thought it was cool. The whole cannon array popping out of the chest is cool too! I'm looking forward to these releases. If anybody sees some early bird specials or has some intel on when these will be available, please share! - MT

Well, I'm happy to see what I hope is just the first of these to come 'round. Regult for certain, Spartan absolutely (love that gun array too!), Monster maybe... woulda perferred the larger version (1/160th was it?), or was that not IMAI? Defender... well, I think I'll invest in the Wave version instead B)) I built the 1/72 Imai some time back, so I'd rather build something new.

My sentiments exactly!! I'm with the captain on this one, the only redeeming quality to these kits is their box artwork. However, I did cut my chops on them back in the day - it was an exercise in frustration. It certainly taught me patience, disappointment and the ability to substantially modify a given thing to make it better myself! (of course in hindsight, it took time away from dating! - argh!!) I built every one of those back in the day... of which I think the little Nichimos and the Monster are the only one's I still have today.

That Monster isn't poorly posed, its the only way it can be posed! The guns are non-moveable and the joints on the legs can only swivel in 1 direction!

The only good to come out of this is that I hope it will generate enough interest in the original series or Macross in general to warrant new toolings to be produced. Or possibly a new art book that has nice reproductions of the original box art paintings. ;-)

Seriously, what do you want the Monster to do? It wasn't all that mobile in the show, and the kit certainly was capable of pretty much every pose the big green lumbering cannon-cow managed on screen. :lol: The arms are much more articulated than the test shot demonstrates. Yeah, the legs only move forward & back, but they do it at the hips, knees and ankles. Fine by me, both in 1985 and now. Especially for only $25. Wave would charge me $80+ that I absolutely don't have to spend.

These 1/72 kits are really great, especially for the price point and the nostalgia. Any competant modeller can make a decents show of 'em, and have been for 2 & a half decades.

Edited by AcroRay

Instruction scans from the vintage Defender. Assembly and detailing. This was my first Macross kit, and one of my first mecha kits. Before that was Gundam, which wasn't anywhere nearly as detailed, articulated and 'serious'. (Gundam still had a heavy Super Robot feel.)

I must honestly note, however: much to the disappointment of many, the Spartan does not have missile clusters or opening shoulder hatches.

post-1561-128581284971_thumb.jpg

post-1561-128581288463_thumb.jpg

Edited by AcroRay

Instruction scans from the vintage Defender. Assembly and detailing. This was my first Macross kit, and one of my first mecha kits. Before that was Gundam, which wasn't anywhere nearly as detailed, articulated and 'serious'. (Gundam still had a heavy Super Robot feel.)

I must honestly note, however: much to the disappointment of many, the Spartan does not have missile clusters or opening shoulder hatches.

Yeah, don't know why IMAI did that. ARII had opening missiles hatches for their 1/72 Tomahawk and GBP-Armoured VF-1J, although they didn't open very far. Having the opening gun cluster hatch on the Spartan but not the missiles... oh well.

I have built a few of these ARII/Imai 1/72 Destroid and 1/160 Monster kits and they are a pain to get the parts to fit properly. It took a lot sanding down the mismatched parts and filling in the large gaps with puddy. If done correctly, they do come out well.

post-7534-128588992947_thumb.jpegpost-7534-128588986163_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-128588976638_thumb.jpg

Just don't expect the level of fit and finish quality as compared to today's Bandai 1/72 VF-25 series. Another thing is that the arm and feet articulations are very limited. I replaced some of the joints with Yellow Submarine ball joints.

I have built a few of these ARII/Imai 1/72 Destroid and 1/160 Monster kits and they are a pain to get the parts to fit properly. It took a lot sanding down the mismatched parts and filling in the large gaps with puddy. If done correctly, they do come out well.

Sweet buildups, Ron. I got pics of your Spartan tucked into my Spartan's box, for reference when I get around to building mine. B))

Wow!

This is a welcomed release in these quarters. I was just thinking about these Macross 1/72 scale model kits a few days ago and why Bandai has not re-released these kits after all these years. This has taken way to long in my book to get these back on the market.

Seriously for $23.00 you can't go wrong with these kits and cost just about the same they did back when my parents bought some of them for me in the 1980's.

And these being too difficult for kids to build? I was around 8 years old when I first saw these kits available and I had no issues building them. In fact they a bit easier as the parts are big and easier to handle for little kid hands. It will be great to revisit these kits again after all these years. In fact I was planning to make a build up of my old Destroid Defender I built as a kid but it will be nice to purchase a new kit instead.

Don't get me wrong we definitely need brand new tooled Master Grade style Macross kits from Bandai but for other nostalgic reasons I welcome these with open arms and looking forward to building them to specs that I wasn't able to do as a kid.

Leonardo

For those interested, they're up for pre-order at HLJ.

Yup. HLJ has them for 1,700Yen or around $20 (early bird price). That 1/72 Regult is a good buy for those who can't afford the 1/60 Yamato kit.

ahhhh missed the early bird preorder for the 1/72 regult. gonna order a few of these with sal shipping when they are on sale again. its better than paying 50+ dollars on ebay for an original.

anywhere else selling the 1/72 regult?

Crap - I missed the early-bird too. :( Still preordering a Regult and a Monster. Links, if anyone wants 'em:

1/72 Destroid Spartan

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN966790

1/72 Destroid Defender

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN966790

1/72 Standard Regult

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN966788

1/200 Destroid Monster

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN966791