Question about the PSP

Gunpod71

Sup guys I'm planning on getting a PSP. Whats the difference between the old version (thick) and the new one? I heard the new PSP version is not that sturdy and the door that holds the disc can easily break? Im also getting Macross Ace Frontier with it, any suggestions to stick with an old system or the new one?

I have the old version and my friend has the thin one (the newest one is download only and , i think, doesn't use the disks) the best thing about the thin is that it has RCA jack that allows you to plug it into a TV.

The thick V.1 (what i have) doesn't have the jacks to connect to a TV.

The door certainly is more flimsy, but if you get a good case to store it and you aren't rough with it i'm sure it wouldn't break.

Edited by RDClip

The PSP Go is the download only version with no UMD drive.

As for Macross Ace Frontier it requires the 5.55 Firmware which you will have to plan around if you intend to use an older PSP-1000 and keep its hacked custom firmware features. The newer PSP-2000s and PSP-3000s are much harder to hack, so if you have not interest in using the custom features I would just go with the PSP-3000. It has the best display and will work with any TV with component and/or composite input while the PSP 2000's only works with HD TVs that support progressive input.

Edited by Freiflug88

Here's the deal; you want a hackable PSP, you get yourself a PSP-1000 (the old fat one). They're the easiest to hack (some 2000's can, so far the 3000 and the Go can't).

If you're not planning on doing that, then get the 3000 (the current slim that still uses UMDs). Be careful if you shop used, because you don't really want a 2000 (also slim). The PSP-3000 has a much better screen than the fat or the 2000.

You can tell the difference between a 2000 and a 3000 by the buttons along the bottom front. On the 2000, the Home, Select, and Start buttons are sort of half circles. On the 3000, they're pill-shaped, like longer versions of the volume buttons. Also, the Home key says "HOME" on the 2000; on the 3000 it's the PlayStation logo. Lastly, there's a little hole to the left of the PSP logo on the 3000; that's for the built-in mic.

I don't recall if you can hook a 2000 up to a TV. You can for a 3000. One thing to keep in mind is that there's two cables out there for it, a composite (1 video, two audio) and a component (three video, two audio). If you use the composite, you can only watch movies. To play games on a TV, you need the component cable. Also, be aware that while movies will stretch to fit your TV, games will not. On my 720p 52" DLP, a game will take up something like 50-60% of the available screen, with black borders all around it.

Do not buy a PSP Go. Not only does it cost more, you can't use UMDs with it. This would be less of an issue if more PSP games were available in the PlayStation store, or if you couldn't find most of the games there cheaper elsewhere, but there you have it.

You can hook a PSP-2000 up to a TV. It has the port to do it.

Also, the current custom firmware I'm using for my PSP allows me to play games requiring firmware 6.20. Also, thanks to some good tutorials I found online, my 2000 PSP was pretty easy to hack. I had PS1 games playing on it within about an hour after I had the battery charged.

The component cables suck though. They should be longer. I Have a 47 inch tv and have the sit right in front of it because the component cable isn't long enough to stretch to my couch.

The thick V.1 (what i have) doesn't have the jacks to connect to a TV.

The door certainly is more flimsy, but if you get a good case to store it and you aren't rough with it i'm sure it wouldn't break.

For my PSP I bought a hard case by Hori from PlayAsia.

Edited by gerwalk25

I like my PSP-2000, custom firmware and I just downloaded the MAF .iso from bitorrent. rock the biggest memory stick Sony make so I can carry around 20 .isos at once aswell as music and video. when I lived in Japan I didnt have a digital TV in my apartment and analogue reception was garbage so I used the PSP 1seg tuner attachment to watch TV. Now in Australia I can even access the recorded shows on my PS3 I made with PlayTV with my PSP from anywhere with wireless. I love all Sonys bells and whistles, I just wish they`d allow more video codecs on XMB so my Sony rig could truly do everything - I have to use PS3 Media server from my Vaio to watch all my files now, which is annoying because I already have to have too much sh*t turned on to watch a show.

Edited by Lott Sheen

The component cables suck though. They should be longer. I Have a 47 inch tv and have the sit right in front of it because the component cable isn't long enough to stretch to my couch.

Well, it IS a hand held. Can't have our cake and not have labor pains.

Wait... :huh:

PSP-3000s can be hacked, too, they just have to have an older version of the Firmware installed.

I have a 2000, and have no regrets, though. I do not play consoles at home, so I usually use it on the train. I watch TV shows, read books I downloaded, listen to music, and with the hack, I also play all the PS1 I have as well as re-living the fun of the SNES and Gameboy games I wasted my entire childhood on.

But if you do not care about any of that, then Macross Ultimate Frontier is a good enough reason to get any of them, 1000, 2000 or 3000. As has been stated, the PSPgo is useless if the games aren't on the PSN Store, and MUF isn't, so forget it.

3000s were hackable sometime last year. The firmware can't be flashed but it reads a dummy "image" file which loads a CFW into memory.

Pretty clever of them hackers.

Sounds like from reading this thread that if I don't really care about hacking, I could go with the PSP-3000 or the PSP-2000 to get the best connectivity as the 1000 has no video out. If I care about hacking PSP-2000 is easier to hack than the PSP-3000, and the PSP-1000 is the easiest to hack. But, at the same time the features (connectivity) are not as good as you downgrade to the 1000.

Sounds like I should avoid the PSP Go at all costs. LOL!

This thread has helped me a lot because I am also considering the PSP in order to play Macross games. Just to make sure, playing import games does NOT require any hacks?

Sounds like from reading this thread that if I don't really care about hacking, I could go with the PSP-3000 or the PSP-2000 to get the best connectivity as the 1000 has no video out. If I care about hacking PSP-2000 is easier to hack than the PSP-3000, and the PSP-1000 is the easiest to hack. But, at the same time the features (connectivity) are not as good as you downgrade to the 1000.

Sounds like I should avoid the PSP Go at all costs. LOL!

This thread has helped me a lot because I am also considering the PSP in order to play Macross games. Just to make sure, playing import games does NOT require any hacks?

To clarify one thing, if you don't care about hacking, skip the PSP-2000 too. The PSP-3000 has an improved screen.

And yes, you can import Macross games and they'll play just fine on a US PSP, or a British one, or an Australian one, etc (although, given the improvements, I'd say you can skip Macross Ace Frontier and go straight to Macross Ultimate Frontier). UMD games aren't regionally locked, just UMD movies.

To clarify one thing, if you don't care about hacking, skip the PSP-2000 too. The PSP-3000 has an improved screen.

And yes, you can import Macross games and they'll play just fine on a US PSP, or a British one, or an Australian one, etc (although, given the improvements, I'd say you can skip Macross Ace Frontier and go straight to Macross Ultimate Frontier). UMD games aren't regionally locked, just UMD movies.

That's what I wasn't 100% sure about. The screens between the 2000 and 3000. I was looking at a website that listed the specs. for all 3 (1000, 2000, and 3000) side by side, and the screen specs. look the same to me. Unless the note about "full transparent type" screen on the 3000 means an improvement. What does that mean in layman terms. Better color, sharper picture, more brightness?

http://closingablaze.com/2008/09/psp-full-...l-three-models/

Thanks for the info guys, BTW. I'm sure a lot of us PSP newbs appreciate it. :D

That's what I wasn't 100% sure about. The screens between the 2000 and 3000. I was looking at a website that listed the specs. for all 3 (1000, 2000, and 3000) side by side, and the screen specs. look the same to me. Unless the note about "full transparent type" screen on the 3000 means an improvement. What does that mean in layman terms. Better color, sharper picture, more brightness?

http://closingablaze.com/2008/09/psp-full-...l-three-models/

Thanks for the info guys, BTW. I'm sure a lot of us PSP newbs appreciate it. :D

The PSP 3000 has less glare and two options for Color Space. Normal is the same as the PSP 2000. The other option is Wide. Wide has better contrast and more vivid color. For many games, it will be an improvement. Some games may experience issues with interlacing, though.

The psp go has no moving party... much less likely to break and gets better battery life.

It also has a smaller screen, and no Macross Ultimate Frontier which = fail! As for moviing parts, doesn't the screen extend outward from the button setup?

Edited by Keith

I know the PSP Go is worthless, but cant you get the Japanese version and DL Macross Ultimate Frontier there? But you gota be in Japan to DL it which is kinda lame... lol

Is it even on the Japanese PSN download store? I have to give the PSP Go a thumbs down as well. That thing has poorer ergonomics even compared to the PSP, and the sliding screen looks damn fragile. The only thing going for it is the smaller size.

Is it possible to take the Macross game disc and rip it to your computer. At which point you can upload it to your PSP Go? I am purely speculating, I really have no idea if this is possible.

No. You need custom firmware to do that. And while there's apparently a savegame "Hello World" exploit, I don't believe a custom firmware for the Go is available.

It also has a smaller screen, and no Macross Ultimate Frontier which = fail! As for moviing parts, doesn't the screen extend outward from the button setup?

hard drive. fan. optical drive. don't be an idiot.

Buying a console or paying $150+ for any sort of gaming device to play 1 game = retarded.

As opposed to paying that (or more) for one Valkyrie toy? Or any price over $100 for any activity that you might not be into, but someone else is?

Judge not my hobby, lest I start judging yours.

hard drive. fan. optical drive. don't be an idiot.

No reason to be bitter just 'cus you can't play import UMD's that aren't available via download even in their native countries. Fewer features + higher costs = idiots choice afterall.

I have a Go. Because when I do travel, I sure as heck don't want to be lugging UMD's with me. Not like I buy a lot of portable games either. I like the feel of it compared to my brick sized 1000. I just never wound up taking it with me when I traveled because it seemed bulky.

The Go is perfect for my needs. I like the buttons and analog stick better as well.

I should sell the 1000 and the UMD's because honestly I never touch them anymore...

The Go could be great if it weren't for the price...it is overpriced by $100.

Edited by Gaijin

Buying a console or paying $150+ for any sort of gaming device to play 1 game = retarded.

Why is that retarded? $150 is really not that much money. As others have stated, a lot of us have spent way more than that on other things equally as useless maybe even more useless. Besides what's the difference in justification between playing 1 game vs many games.