Guest davidwhangchoi

hey guys i think someone posted this a long time ago when i wasn't into gundams.

i was watching this to do panel lines and decals: the guy has a gundam 0.3 pencil. he looks like a pro.

https://youtu.be/FZ6FlJ3mzYs

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

^that guy is Katsumi Kawaguchi, basically a spokeperson from Bandai for anything related to Gunpla.

oh, that's cool. i'll watch him.

Meijin Kawaguchi? Thanks for the link David! Picked up devil may cry definitive edition earlier so will juggle my time with that hehehe

lol

ok, decaled him up and starting on the head unit:

IMG_1928_zpslvmyrsz9.jpg

Hi, all aile strike users and rg gundam builders, i'm starting on the eyes and the booklet shows two options (section 08 -1):

IMG_1931_zpsqlexewcp.jpg

one is to decal the gold eyes individually numbers (7 ,8) and then decal the robin mask, number (74), separately and the other decal is just the full mask with the eyes as seen on the sheet: label (4):

IMG_1935_zpsbquuxpws.jpg

which did you guys use? i don't want to choose the wrong one mess up the eyes :unsure:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Well it's preference. You can just use decal 4 for the full face or you can use the decals separately like its explained. I just slap on the whole decal (4) it goes on nice and worst case scenario you can try the other way.

The thing I love about these RG kits is that they are easy to disassemble and you can paint later.

With the RG kits, it's kind of like they're giving you options... but you don't really need them.

Basically, it's telling you that you can use put on sticker 74 (the black part), then put 7 and 8 (the gold ones) on over/in the eye holes. Or, you can just put 4 (the black with gold eyes already on it) on instead.

Maybe a more advanced gunplar will have a good reason to use 74, 7, and 8, but I can't think of one. Maybe someone who wants to paint the black and just use the gold stickers, or vice versa?

My advice? Just put #4 on and call it a day.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I just slap on the whole decal (4) it goes on nice and worst case scenario you can try the other way.

My advice? Just put #4 on and call it a day.

74 would be good if you want the eyes to still have a translucent effect.

ok, sounds good! i'll use 4.

(translucent effect? sounds pro :blink:)

i'll be back after completing the unit :)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Yeah I'm currently making the RG exia. I hate that I leave these ugly marks on the GN condensers o the legs. It's been staring me down these past couple of days that I can't bring myself to build the rest haha.

I've built the Zeta 2.0 but I'm having a hard time building a RG lol

Guest davidwhangchoi

finished the eye decal and tried to make the red lining under the eyes like the box cover:

IMG_1941_zpsawqjetle.jpgIMG_1940_zpsfj5ooyss.jpg327.jpg

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I guess having painted warhammer minis before helped me a alot as I always paint the eyes whichever scale. That's usually the first thing I do. I usually cover the whole piece with Vallejo heavy charcoal and pick off the raised eyes with a smaller pointed brush and the appropriate color. I always use miniature acrylic paints like Vallejo or GW cause they're pretty easy to handle (and clean) with a brush.

For those looking at an alternative to the gundam markers (which I find to be too thick and messy) for panel-lining, do take a look at this range of pens: http://www.dickblick.com/products/copic-multiliner-pens/

I personally use the 0.03mm variation when I'm too lazy to use an enamel wash.

The good thing about these pens are that it comes in a variation of colours.

I mainly use the black, cool gray and brown ones depending if I want the panel lines to be subtle or 'pop' for a more anime-ish look.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I guess having painted warhammer minis before helped me a alot as I always paint the eyes whichever scale. That's usually the first thing I do. I usually cover the whole piece with Vallejo heavy charcoal and pick off the raised eyes with a smaller pointed brush and the appropriate color. I always use miniature acrylic paints like Vallejo or GW cause they're pretty easy to handle (and clean) with a brush.

40k warhammer figures are tiny! do you build any gundams?

That's dedication!

I can barely apply decals properly. My hands are so unsteady

Nice Strike David

thanks! i'm very slow but thanks to the guys here, it kept me going. the decals i keep messing up and have to reseat them 5x before finally getting it right. it's painful to do them...

For those looking at an alternative to the gundam markers (which I find to be too thick and messy) for panel-lining, do take a look at this range of pens: http://www.dickblick.com/products/copic-multiliner-pens/

I personally use the 0.03mm variation when I'm too lazy to use an enamel wash.

The good thing about these pens are that it comes in a variation of colours.

I mainly use the black, cool gray and brown ones depending if I want the panel lines to be subtle or 'pop' for a more anime-ish look.

i'm going to try these. thanks.

I just snap build and just decal + clear coat them if i happen to buy the decals or they come with it like the ver Ka's. I always avoid panel lining cause I suck at it so bad and usually mess up. Im lazy like that :D

Btw does anyone know if the RG Exia can fit in the regular HG GN Arms Type E?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Btw does anyone know if the RG Exia can fit in the regular HG GN Arms Type E?

yeah, it definitely does, i got the hg gn arms real color version which is basically the same thing with rg style decals and maybe the colors were slightly remolded to match the rg. but it's the same exact kit.

http://p-bandai.hk/hobby/special-1000000388/

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks! To be honest i had thought of getting the GN Arms right after i saw yours a few pages earlier. The decals really improve the look for the P-Bandai version and makes it much more coherent with the RG Exia.

get whatever is cheaper. i found one pretty cheap so i got the real grade color version.

if you get the regular one you can get the rg decals on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Detail-Up-Water-Decal-1-144-HG-GNR-001E-GN-Arms-TYPE-E-Gundam-Model-Kit-/271796935030?

for about 12 bucks shipped.

i calculated the price and it came about the same so i went with the real color version.

Guest davidwhangchoi

panelined the guy's head: so tiny (highlighted in yellow)

while decal-ing his eye i moved it so much most of the gold paint rubbed off (both eyes), (green highlight):

IMG_1950_zpsy6epiodz.jpg

can't tell from far away the gold on the eyes have rubbed off

IMG_1947_zpsxkjffb7c.jpg

ok, this guy is awesome.

IMG_1953_zpsbhojy3mp.jpg

i see what the hype is about w rg's. i like them :) i need to build the aile backback shield and weapons. but i'm toast. i'm going to watch everyone's photos/post on this thread and a few more gundam tutorials.

i want to thank you guys for all the tips. this is my first rg gundam and couldn't believe it came out looking like an actual robot. i literally wreck everything i built (meaning it comes out like a mess) (i ruined a 150 valk bc i tried panel lining it a long time ago) prob the best tips: were how to decal and thumbing off panel lines with tooth picks and getting that 0.3 pencil that 3 weeks ago that a MW member recommended 2 years ago (glad i saved his pm). also thanks to EXO who's been texting me tips on beginners modeling.

i'm going to try and get the gold paint and maybe try to get the mr. hobby stuff or something cheaper and try that.

mike what type is that gold paint marker you use? is that a gundam brand paint marker?

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I think it's looking fantastic, David. It's too bad that those metallic stickers can be so fragile to handle (I noticed a bit coming off around the edges of the elbow stickers, too - it's unavoidable as far as I can tell). But, since you opted for the one-piece eye sticker (good move), don't you have the individual gold eyes that you could slip on over the damaged ones? Luckily the eyes aren't a part that gets touched much once they are in place.

For what it's worth, although I do like gold Sharpie, the gold gundam marker is my pick. It's one of the nicest metallics I've seen in a brush-on type paint.

Guest davidwhangchoi

For what it's worth, although I do like gold Sharpie, the gold gundam marker is my pick. It's one of the nicest metallics I've seen in a brush-on type paint.

is that carried on amazon? what's the model number of it. thanks for the recommendation

It's just a gold Sharpie. It's good for the joints, but it's more metallic and less shiny than the eye stickers, so I wouldn't recommend it for the eyes. Also, it rubs off fairly easily, but it can be easily reapplied. You can try clear coating it, but the Tamiya clear coat I had mostly disolved it.

I'm sure you can find them at Amazon, but unless you have Prime and really don't feel like going to a store, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you that they're available almost everywhere that has a pen aisle... Walmart, Target, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, even most drug stores. They're conveniently sold in a pack of three "Sharpie Metallics," with one gold, one silver, and one copper per pack.

is that carried on amazon? what's the model number of it. thanks for the recommendation

I have GM52 from the SD Gundam Force set, and GM82 from the Gundam Sangokuden set. As far as I can tell, they are the same paint. Both are very handy sets, particularly the latter (which is all metallic colors), but the buying options on Amazon look terrible right now. You can get them places like HLJ, or you can sometimes buy the individual markers on ebay.

Guest davidwhangchoi

ok ,thanks. they're backordered on hlj but i placed an order anyway. i'm going to go to gundam planet and see if they have it.

My gunpla came. I haven't touched the G-Self or Wing Zero, but I opened Psyco Gundam to look at the runners and the manual. Bandai seems to have made some odd choices here. Like, they have stickers for a lot of the yellow markings, but all the red marks need painted. Likewise, there's the usual sticker for the eyes, but none for the cameras behind the v-fin or on the back of the head, and those ones are trickier because I don't have a metallic pink paint. Also, the kit has a ton of runners, but the hip joints are on the same runner as the upper thigh armor. I don't know why they didn't put the hip joints on the runners with the leg frame, because they should be the same off-white as the frame, not the purple of the thigh armor.

Oh well, I slapped a coat of spray paint on the hip parts. I can't build now since I'm heading to Wheeling to catch a Nailers game anyway.

I got my pens today. Hmmmm, I'm not so sure about these new pens. They're very watery. Worked well with solid panel lines, but things like rounded details or scoops, they don't do well at all on.

I'll give it a little more effort.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I got my pens today. Hmmmm, I'm not so sure about these new pens. They're very watery. Worked well with solid panel lines, but things like rounded details or scoops, they don't do well at all on.

I'll give it a little more effort.

what kind of pens :)

what kind of pens :)

GM-301P-303P, Black, Brown and Gray. They run ink through the panel lines versus using a pencil or a gundam marker and draw the lines. You just top the panel line gently with the tip of the pen and the ink runs down. The biggest problem I have with it is that it's a huge amount of ink that's going down those lines, it's easy to clean up, really easy.

I just gotta get use to this style though I think.

Psyco Gundam coming along fast. It's big, but it's an HG so it's naturally not complicated. It kind of reminds me of playing with Duplos after playing with Legos.

I have the head, legs, and back half of the torso (minus the backpack) done. I have some paint drying on the emitters for the scattering mega particle cannons, and I'll leave them dry while I go out to dinner with the wife, then I should be able to finish the torso when I get home. I'm thinking it should be done by tomorrow at the latest. I just wish I could find decals for it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

hi, when you guys spray paint, where do you do it? does anyone do it in an apartment or do you have to own a home basement?

and why go you guys use sticks and clips to hold up each part? (silly question... i've seen modelers use it...sorta interesting but don't know what it does.)

using hikuro's pic

image.jpg

Edited by davidwhangchoi