What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Started watching Occult Academy over the weekend (up to ep4), and i'm liking it so far. Much of that has to do with the lead character Maya. Loving her.

Who doesn't love the token tsundere character? :p

I finished this series few days ago too. Not bad considering it doesn't take itself too seriously. But nothing great either.

And sharing the same seiyuu as the one and only Mio-chan no less! :wub:

mama Mio! now i gotta watch it too :D

speaking of K-On, just started on the second season airing on Animax. didn't like them changing Azusa's dub to a screechy, much younger voice. i liked it in the 1st season when she sounded mature despite her appearance/age. is Azusa's original Japanese voice young or mature?

mama Mio! now i gotta watch it too :D

speaking of K-On, just started on the second season airing on Animax. didn't like them changing Azusa's dub to a screechy, much younger voice. i liked it in the 1st season when she sounded mature despite her appearance/age. is Azusa's original Japanese voice young or mature?

A young voice with a mature sounding air around her. She's the most mature sounding next to Mio and Mugi. I won't knwo about the dubs. :p

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'd love to watch such a film on a IMAX screen. Was there a reason it happened at all? Like a special occasion?

Started watching Super Dimension Century Orguss this evening, which i'm enjoyed quite a bit. I'd say more about the first two episodes that i've seen, though at the moment i'm pretty mesmerized by Mimsy's arse.

Yeah, there's this big documentary festival going on in town right now (think it's called Copenhagen Docx or something like that). What an anime/house-musical has to do with documentaries I have no idea. But there was a full house of mostly Daft Punk fans who kept screaming for the operator to "crank it up".

Orguss is a pretty rewarding experience if you can get hold of a version with some proper subs. Mikimoto's character designs are beautiful as usual and the series has one of the coolest soundtracks of any 80's anime plus a very satisfying ending in my opinion. As a plus, Kei Katsuragi's way of approaching women is just plain hilarious.

Looking at Orguss, you have to feel a bit jealous that Macross didn't have its animation consistency. Sure there are still some off-model episodes, but the consistency overall is much better.

Wow, this is actually the first time I've entered this thread, and you guys are talking about Orguss. That is awesome, as not only is it probably my favourite anime series of all time, but I bought the single on vinyl just yesterday. RIP Casey Rankin.

As for what I'm watching right now, well, I did actually watch Orguss recently for a bit because believe it or not, I used it in a lesson a couple of weeks ago as I was teaching my students the concept of the Space Elevator.

Apart from that, I'm watching Kawamori's "Earth Girl Arjuna". It's surpisingly good, I thought the preachiness would put me off, but so far the only thing I've found annoying has been a little prick called "Chris". I'm still only on episode 5 or so, but so far, so good.

Also, I recently saw Megazone 23 again, as I am writing an article on that at the moment. Awesome, awesome stuff, every time.

And of course, I've gone back to watching Macross 7, too, to keep up with VFTF1's thread. Today on the Shinkansen I saw episode 24, so I will write up my thoughts there soon.

Anyone who hasn't seen Orguss, Megazone or Arjuna -- all are highly recommended!

But there was a full house of mostly Daft Punk fans who kept screaming for the operator to "crank it up".

That's awesome. Glad to hear it was packed with Daft Punk fans.

As a plus, Kei Katsuragi's way of approaching women is just plain hilarious.

& now i know where Hayami Show's playboy voice started. He's such a damn awesome main character.

Looking at Orguss, you have to feel a bit jealous that Macross didn't have its animation consistency. Sure there are still some off-model episodes, but the consistency overall is much better.

Yeah that's pretty much all i could think about while watching the first episode of Orguss. Though we had DYRL which made up for it. :3

Wow, this is actually the first time I've entered this thread, and you guys are talking about Orguss. That is awesome, as not only is it probably my favourite anime series of all time, but I bought the single on vinyl just yesterday.

Wow that's pretty awesome. I have all the more reason now to enjoy Orguss has much as possibly. & wow teaching you students about the Space Elevator. How did that come about in class?

& yeah Arjuna is a great show, with such a wacky yet awesome Yoko Kanno score. It's amazing the amount of people who watch show, and come away calling it a hippy's experience. :p

Edited by shiroth

Wow, this is actually the first time I've entered this thread, and you guys are talking about Orguss. That is awesome, as not only is it probably my favourite anime series of all time, but I bought the single on vinyl just yesterday. RIP Casey Rankin.

As for what I'm watching right now, well, I did actually watch Orguss recently for a bit because believe it or not, I used it in a lesson a couple of weeks ago as I was teaching my students the concept of the Space Elevator.

Did you get the opening track or the ending "Gypsy" in vinyl? Either way it's an awesome pickup.

Have you ever watched Orguss 2? It's a surprisingly good sequel considering

that for most of the series it seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the original

Crazy, I just finished Orguss and Orguss 02 last week and like them both.

Orguss

The end part of Orguss could have played out a bit longer and the whole thing with Chilham scheming up a plan to control the Tokuitens with the space-time device and then Emaan engineers discovering this didn't really play out nicely. There also seems to be a logical mistake (at least to me) in the story at the end.

At the end we see the Mu battle Emaan and Chilham, because they want to stop Kei and Olson from using the space elevator to reach the Daitokuiten and fix everything.

If the Mu wanted to keep and have control of this new trans-dimensional world, why didn't they just blow up the space elevator first?

Any efforts from Emaan, Chilham and the Tokuitens would have been suffocated from the start.

Orguss 02

Don't be fooled by the first three episodes.

Like Marzan I thought this OVA had nothing but the name and the mecha in common, but the second half really enlightens and ties up nicely to the series.

Oh and before I forget, probably the worst OP music theme for a real robot show I've ever heard!!!

Weirdly enough, I've also been rewatching Orguss... I started a few weeks ago, got through the first four episodes, and then got sidetracked...but I'm picking it up again. Just watched episode six last night.

EDIT: As for Renato teaching about the space elevator, I was there while he regaled both me and one of his colleagues about it. I was kinda nodding the whole time, thinking, "OF COURSE we have to build a space elevator. Duh," while Renato's colleague seemed to be shocked and totally weirded out by the very concept of it. See, guys? THIS is why kids should be exposed to science fiction... :lol:

Edited by Gubaba

What? No Oreimo? You have to watch that this season too :D

Got around to downloading what's out so far this morning...

I... You've broken me. I lol'd many times up to the latest episode. So typical, midly wrong, yet so silly-awesome-funny and fresh.

First time meeting the brother, I expected to hear Araragi, but suddenly I've been greeted by Alto. Thanks!

Did you get the opening track or the ending "Gypsy" in vinyl? Either way it's an awesome pickup.

Both: they are on alternate sides of the same disc. ^_^

As for Orguss 02, I actually didn't like it back in the day, but I can really appreciate it now. The space elevator and the Mu appear in the first episode, which is really cool -- when I first saw it, I had no knowledge of the original series so I didn't understand that whole deal.

Wow that's pretty awesome. I have all the more reason now to enjoy Orguss has much as possibly. & wow teaching you students about the Space Elevator. How did that come about in class?

It's a course on "Astrosociology", a new field which looks at space not (only) from a physics perspective but from a human sciences one. Here's the ongoing blog (although most of it is in Japanse, sorry) -- And yes, that's me in the spacesuit :p

http://mieruka.meiji.jp/2010/shinuchu2010/

Orguss

If the Mu wanted to keep and have control of this new trans-dimensional world, why didn't they just blow up the space elevator first?

Any efforts from Emaan, Chilham and the Tokuitens would have been suffocated from the start.

Orguss 02

Oh and before I forget, probably the worst OP music theme for a real robot show I've ever heard!!!

Well, I imagine the Mu would eventually have used the elevator to conquer space and expand their empire once the earth was theirs, so I guess they wanted to keep it around.

As for the Orguss 02 music, there are two, one is really freaky, the other is really funky!

It's a course on "Astrosociology", a new field which looks at space not (only) from a physics perspective but from a human sciences one. Here's the ongoing blog (although most of it is in Japanse, sorry) -- And yes, that's me in the spacesuit :p

http://mieruka.meiji.jp/2010/shinuchu2010/

Shame it's mostly in Japanese because i'd love to give it a read. & awesome picture, i must say.

As for the Gypsy vinyl, is that the one with the very sexy Mimsy cover? Not sure if that's only for the CD version or not.

Got around to downloading what's out so far this morning...

I... You've broken me. I lol'd many times up to the latest episode. So typical, midly wrong, yet so silly-awesome-funny and fresh.

First time meeting the brother, I expected to hear Araragi, but suddenly I've been greeted by Alto. Thanks!

I knew you'd like it. :D

Star Driver is getting pretty fun too. Really loving the Diebuster references (same mecha designer) especially the eyecatch in some episodes.

Orguss 02

Don't be fooled by the first three episodes.

Like Marzan I thought this OVA had nothing but the name and the mecha in common, but the second half really enlightens and ties up nicely to the series.

Yeah, if I remember correctly the english and japanese versions have different OP's and the one you're referring to is TERRIBLE.

But then Mikimoti gives us one of his prettiest character designs ever (Natamura) so I guess it evens itself out.

Star Driver is getting pretty fun too. Really loving the Diebuster references (same mecha designer) especially the eyecatch in some episodes.

There's more Utena references then anything else, but yeah the Gunbuster 2 eyecatch is pretty sweet.

Every Transformers fan on the planet needs to see the first half of this weeks (episode 7) episode of Panty & Stocking. The old school references were off the chart. There was R.C., Starscream, Soundwave, Hotrod, Grimlock, Devastator, even Unicron right at the end. & to top it all off, showing scenes from the 1986 film during the montage scene showing the battles. That was just too much for me to handle, though at the same time incredible.

Every Transformers fan on the planet needs to see the first half of this weeks (episode 7) episode of Panty & Stocking. The old school references were off the chart. There was R.C., Starscream, Soundwave, Hotrod, Grimlock, Devastator, even Unicron right at the end. & to top it all off, showing scenes from the 1986 film during the montage scene showing the battles. That was just too much for me to handle, though at the same time incredible.

The proper term is "F^CKING EPIC!!"

Watched Evangelion 2.2: you can [not] advance yesterday: it was better than the first movie and also better than the same "segment" (sort of...) in the TV series.

I'm surprised to see myself curious about the next movie...

Watched Evangelion 2.2: you can [not] advance yesterday: it was better than the first movie and also better than the same "segment" (sort of...) in the TV series.

I'm surprised to see myself curious about the next movie...

Why surprised? So far Rebuild of Evangelion has been nothing short of epic, and from what we can see in the short preview at the end of 2.22, will probably continue to be so. And I mean, they do leave you

with a massive cliffhanger at the end, don't they?

True, didn't think much of P&S at first as it was so similar to early cartoon network shows. However since Ep 4. it got better and better. Gainax did it again.

Orguss is truly a remarkable show. I can't say anything but praise for episode 10 (Barbarians). The ever so fun love triangle (if you even want to call it one :3) is progresses at such a good pace, plus the characters are just so much fun to watch. This is going to be a personal favorite show, for sure.

& of course, the Tennis scene was easily the best part of the series so far. :p

Orguss is truly a remarkable show. I can't say anything but praise for episode 10 (Barbarians). The ever so fun love triangle (if you even want to call it one :3) is progresses at such a good pace, plus the characters are just so much fun to watch. This is going to be a personal favorite show, for sure.

& of course, the Tennis scene was easily the best part of the series so far. tongue.gif

Considering Kei is essentially saying "nah, yo biyatch is mine now bra' " , I'd hardly call it a triangle :)

Why surprised? So far Rebuild of Evangelion has been nothing short of epic, and from what we can see in the short preview at the end of 2.22, will probably continue to be so. And I mean, they do leave you

with a massive cliffhanger at the end, don't they?

Frankly, I found the first movie even worse than the original TV show: I decided to watch it because I thought that maybe its director had found the time to think about his original concept in order to improve it and to imagine a way to represent it in a rather understandable manner, but it wasn't the case...

This second movie, on the other hand, gave me the impression of an evolution in comparison to the original TV series: I'll see with the two other movies if it really is the case or not...

Just watched Yamato Revival. It was not terrible, but it was not great either. The main problem was it seemed to have taken a 26 hour plot and crammed it into a 2 hour movie. Best description for it would be muddled.

Not really much of a spoiler, but I thought I better mark it anyway.

An alliance against Earth is brought up, then they attack, then one of them defects, then another, then a big boom, then another group appears to have not needed the alliance at all - but no decent reason is given for them having the alliance setup in the first place... (there is a reason given, but it just does not sound reasonable).

None of the minor characters get enough characterization to make them stand out, and even Kodai and family are just introduced and nothing really seems to happen.

Mighty nice seeing the Yamato in action again though.

Edited by Dynaman