Worst Science Fiction Film of All Time

JELEINEN

Dude, that was an awesome movie. Never mind that it was campy (as it was written by Lorenzo Semple, who penned the '60s Batman TV series) and the fact that Sam J. Jones' dialogue was dubbed by someone else, but it had one of the most awesome soundtracks ever recorded.

I second that Flash Gordon is an awesome movie.

Anyone who disagrees is due a session with the bore-worms.

Graham

Here's another bomb that hasn't been much talked about.

Wild Wild West (1999). The original 1960 TV series was awesome, as it introduced James Bond elements into a Western. The theatrical remake, on the other hand, was a complete stink-fest. The talents of Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh were completely wasted here. You can put Will Smith in a bad movie and make it watchable; this one, however, is unwatchable with or without him. Robert Conrad, who played James West in the original series, boycotted this film over unpaid royalties and racial aspects in the storyline.

I didn't see this film until a couple of years later, when a friend of mine kept telling me it was the worst film ever made. I told him there are worse movies out there, and we did a Bad Movie Challenge. He made me watch Wild Wild West, while I made him watch this:

Inspector Gadget (1999). Now I'm not gonna explain this anymore, as many of you have probably seen it already and got your childhood raped severely. My friend is still traumatized by this movie to this day.

What if...a sci-fi film was made, and it was produced by The Asylum (Transmorphers, The Day the Earth Stopped) and John Travolta, written by Joe Eszterhas (Showgirls, An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn), Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer (Date/Epic/Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans), and directed by Uwe Boll and Roger Christian (Battlefield Earth)? And it starred Shaquille O'Neal and Hayden Christensen?

Would the world implode in hell then?

What if...a sci-fi film was made, and it was produced by The Asylum (Transmorphers, The Day the Earth Stopped) and John Travolta, written by Joe Eszterhas (Showgirls, An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn), Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer (Date/Epic/Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans), and directed by Uwe Boll and Roger Christian (Battlefield Earth)? And it starred Shaquille O'Neal and Hayden Christensen?

That's like division by zero.

You got the title wrong! The actual title of the film is not "An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn" (which makes some sense) or even "Burn Hollywood Burn: An Alan Smithee Film" (which would make the most sense), but "An Alan Smithee Film Burn Hollywood Burn." Not colon, no hyphen, nothing.

At least, that's what it said in the LA Times review when it came out...for some reason, I stored that little nugget of knowledge in my long-term memory, Lord knows why...

I second that Flash Gordon is an awesome movie.

Anyone who disagrees is due a session with the bore-worms.

Graham

More like anyone who disagrees needs to be strapped down and made to watch the Sci-Fi channel POS remake!

Taksraven

as for I come in peace, I've never seen it, but how can you hate Dolph Lundgren? he's the ultimate Russian!

I think that he was the ultimate Soviet, rather than the ultimate Russian.

Taksraven

Nah, I think that the results would be rather dull. The best bad movies are the ones that they tried to make good.

Taksraven

Here's some god awful ones:

5. I come in peace

I actually watched that twice back in the day on VHS or LD......I forget. Anyway, I actually quite liked it and wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Just some gun trivia as I always pay attention to who uses what in movies, IIRC, Dolph used a H&K P9S, which is quite a cool pistol and very rare to see on film and the 'Alien' pistol was actually a Calico 9mm, with a huge muzzle flash.

Graham

No, the movie would turn out to be pretty good in the conventional sense...

and then the known universe collapses into a singularity.

I actually watched that twice back in the day on VHS or LD......I forget. Anyway, I actually quite liked it and wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Just some gun trivia as I always pay attention to who uses what in movies, IIRC, Dolph used a H&K P9S, which is quite a cool pistol and very rare to see on film and the 'Alien' pistol was actually a Calico 9mm, with a huge muzzle flash.

Graham

I wanna say that the catch phrase for Dolph when the alien says "I come in peace" was "You go in pieces" BANG! :lol:

You don't know what "worst sci-fi movie ever" really means until you see this:

The man who saves the world (Turkish Star Wars)

If you want more info, it's an interesting read

Wiki trivia on the movie

contains stolen scenes from stars wars??? they made a sequel called the son who saves the world with stolen scenes from star wars (aka a new hope), the star trek series and battlestar galactica. lol, i just might have to watch this one...

You don't know what "worst sci-fi movie ever" really means until you see this:

The man who saves the world (Turkish Star Wars)

If you want more info, it's an interesting read

Wiki trivia on the movie

Ya gotta hand it to them...not many people would look at the Death Star and think, "Y'know, if the earth had a shield made of people's brains, I bet it would look exactly like that!"

Anyway, if we're going to talk about Star Wars rip-offs (and Turkish Star Wars is EASILY the worst of those), we have to mention Star Crash, Message from Space, the aforementioned Battle Beyond the Stars, and (my personal favorite) Escape from Galaxy Four.

Seriously, check that one out. It seems totally kiddie, until that first sex scene...

Haven't heard anybody come leaping to the defence of Battlefield Earth. For the amount of money wasted on that crap, it gets my vote as worst SF film, then Waterworld.

Taksraven

Gotta be Starship Troopers 3: Marauder.

Hero of the federation is worse than marauder. Marauder at least brought back the stupid satire that made the first movie funny, hero of the federation is just painful to watch.

I don`t get the hate for A.I. in this thread at all. That was not a BAD movie. It was actually quite good in most normal people`s opinions.

I will certainly step up and defend some aspects of AI. Ultimately the movie was a failure but it did contain some interesting ideas about humanity and mortality. (Similar to Contact, another movie with good potential that ultimately failed)

The role that Frances O'Connor had was the best one in the film, she was great in it. The story was very dark, too dark for some.....

Taksraven

Am I jumping the gun here, or can I add the new Star Trek movie to the list? I mean, I haven't seen it, but come on, you know it's gonna be bad.

As far as Star Trek movies go, nothing can be worse than Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Personally, I don't think this new one will be a great film, but at the same time, it won't be such a bad one.

As far as Star Trek movies go, nothing can be worse than Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Personally, I don't think this new one will be a great film, but at the same time, it won't be such a bad one.

Yeah, but picking on Star Trek V is kinda like picking on retarded kids. Its just too easy.

Taksraven

(sorry, I'm sure that probably offends everybody, but I have been hanging around the ruthlessreviews forum too much)

I don`t get the hate for A.I. in this thread at all. That was not a BAD movie. It was actually quite good in most normal people`s opinions.

The biggest problem with A.I. is that it was 30 minutes over its running time. It should've just ended

with David and Teddy stuck at Coney Island.

Instead,

Spielberg had to drag us into 2000 years later, where mankind is extinct and David still wants to see his mommy.

Since then, I have not seen a single Spielberg movie other than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (another one that pissed me off).

The biggest problem with A.I. is that it was 30 minutes over its running time. It should've just ended

with David and Teddy stuck at Coney Island.

THANK YOU.

I've been saying the same damn thing since I saw it in the theater. :lol:

Ok, how about some fresh meat. Did anybody see John Carpenter's 1995 remake of "Village of the Damned"? God, that was crap.....

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, how about some fresh meat. Did anybody see John Carpenter's 1995 remake of "Village of the Damned"? God, that was crap.....

Taksraven

Was that Christopher Reeve's last flick before he took a header off a horse? If it is, then I haven't seen that particular flick yet.

Any comments on the Universal Soldier sequels?

Universal Soldier II: Brothers in Arms (1998, direct-to-video)

Universal Soldier III: Unfinished Business (1998, direct-to-video)

Universal Soldier: The Return (1999)

BTW, there's a new one coming up called Universal Soldiers: The Next Generation. Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren will reprise their roles for this one. Also, this film disregards any of the sequels mentioned above.