Worst Science Fiction Film of All Time

JELEINEN

This is easy... ANYTHING sci-fi directed by Uwe Boll, Tim Burton, and most of all... Paul Verhoeven!

Don't knock Tim Burton, but there some genres that some directors don't do well (his two Batman movies were excellent). As for Boll and Verhoeven, those two are the King Midases of dung.

Point #1. Starship Troopers was actually a good film. Anything about it that was a bit schlocky was intentional so I am willing to forgive. Might not be the best book-film adaptation but I doubt its the worst either.

Point #2. Is this place just a refugee detention centre for Robotech.com?

Point #3. Love the avatar, but everybody knows that Minsc (and Boo) were the best. B)) B))

Taksraven

Point #1: Sclock doesn't even begin to describe that crap. It definately is one of the worst book adaptations out there.

Point #2: I'd rather be here than there anyway. The TOU over there is as facist as you can get.

Point #3: Nice to see another Baldur's Gate II fan out there (the user interface is better than the first game, and the vocal talent is much better as well). I just have to find the time to upload a pic of Minsc from my bonus disk to Photobucket.com (yes I do have the large box set of the Baldur's Gate II Collection).

The first Matrix was cool, and a little over rated, but it TOTALLY ruined hand to hand combat in most action movies for, I think, even more than 7 years. I just saw Transporter 3 and that crap is all over it.

Not cool, and grossly overrated. Dark City does that story much better.

Don't knock Tim Burton, but there some genres that some directors don't do well (his two Batman movies were excellent). As for Boll and Verhoeven, those two are the King Midases of dung.

For the most part, majority of Verhoeven's works are crap, but you have to admit that RoboCop is one of the best sci-fi films ever made.

If you want to talk about worst director, how about Roger Christian? He forced most of you to tilt your head sideways while watching Battlefield Earth.

How about Johnny Mnemonic.... That was a weird movie....

that was a GREAT movie. My favorite Keanu Reeves movie other than Point break, it's a classic.

Point #1: Sclock doesn't even begin to describe that crap. It definately is one of the worst book adaptations out there.

oh come on, it's such a stupid movie it's great. it's not true to the book at all but it still complements the book in a nice way, satirizing it. I love the book too.

For the most part, majority of Verhoeven's works are crap, but you have to admit that RoboCop is one of the best sci-fi films ever made.

If you want to talk about worst director, how about Roger Christian? He forced most of you to tilt your head sideways while watching Battlefield Earth.

OH GOD, THE DUTCH ANGLES?!!! WHYYYY?!?!?!

I wouldn't call robocop the best scifi film ever, but it is a classic.

Edited by anime52k8

[...]As for Boll and Verhoeven, those two are the King Midases of dung.

Point #1: Sclock doesn't even begin to describe that crap. It definately is one of the worst book adaptations out there[...]

Don't be silly, the majority of Verhoeven's work is good to very good. The only weak movie he made was Hollow Man. "Soldaat van Oranje" and "Turks Fruit" are amazing.

As for being true to the book: Verhoeven hated Heinleins book, he thought it was Nazi propaganda and just used the visual elements described in the book to make his own story. Starship Troopers is just about Verhoevens fear of fascism coming back in the future. It's a cruel joke on Heinlein.

Most of his movies are about his main obsessions: fascism or christianity or both. For example Robocop is about the resurrection of Christ. Murphy is Jesus and Robocop the ressurection, I'm still amazed he got away with that one.

The man is a bit crazy, but makes visually interesting movies.

Don't be silly, the majority of Verhoeven's work is good to very good. The only weak movie he made was Hollow Man.

Don't forget Showgirls. Other than that the rest of his stuff is good.

Taksraven

Don't be silly, the majority of Verhoeven's work is good to very good. The only weak movie he made was Hollow Man. "Soldaat van Oranje" and "Turks Fruit" are amazing.

As for being true to the book: Verhoeven hated Heinleins book, he thought it was Nazi propaganda and just used the visual elements described in the book to make his own story. Starship Troopers is just about Verhoevens fear of fascism coming back in the future. It's a cruel joke on Heinlein.

Most of his movies are about his main obsessions: fascism or christianity or both. For example Robocop is about the resurrection of Christ. Murphy is Jesus and Robocop the ressurection, I'm still amazed he got away with that one.

The man is a bit crazy, but makes visually interesting movies.

So that explains the ending sequence for Starship Troopers 3...

As for Robocop: What? You just... my mind just exploded... :wacko:

How bad was the Wing Commander movie? I've never seen it, and I'm not gonna spend money on renting it.

as someone who's never played the games ever, I didn't think it was nearly as bad as everyone says it is. it's not good, but it's not horrible.

Didn't even have to care about the editing, you just see it, it's right there. And I don't even care about Mila Jovovich, she's a horrible actress and that's apparent cause she's picked in crappy sci/fi titles. Every movie she's in sucks, Fifth Element, all the RE movies, UltraViolet, I mean k'mon...she has some bad luck.

I actually like Fifth Element and sorta have a soft sport for the RE movies. I bought all of them on DVD. Never was into the games, so any lack of consistency doesn't bother me.

Graham

How about Johnny Mnemonic.... That was a weird movie....

Yeah, but Dolph Lungren's mad priest/assasin character was great in that movie. I would have totally paid to see a movie just about that character staring Dolph.

Graham

I'm gonna have to go with the majority and say that Battlefield Earth is the worst sci-fi movie ever.

And I can't believe somebody added The Last Starfighter a few pages back. That is an 80s' classic. The Gunstar is such a cool ship.

Graham

How about DYRL?! Just kidding. Here's some god awful ones:

1. G-saviour

2. Planet of the apes remake

3. Robot jox (i don't care if it's a cult classic, it sucks)

4. Flash Gordon (the 80's movie)

5. I come in peace

6. Demolition man

However, the all time worst sci-fi film, if it qualifies, is (drum roll)....

Masters of the Universe (1987).

Never have I seen such a travesty. And they say Top Gun has a lot of repressed homosexuality?

Basically, I hate Dolph Lundgren. Even Universal Soldier...I hate him. I'm glad Rocky kicked his ass, and I hate Sly Stallone as well.

Dude, that was an awesome movie. Never mind that it was campy (as it was written by Lorenzo Semple, who penned the '60s Batman TV series) and the fact that Sam J. Jones' dialogue was dubbed by someone else, but it had one of the most awesome soundtracks ever recorded.

I'm gonna go with "The last starfighter". Oh my god that was horrible...

How about DYRL?! Just kidding. Here's some god awful ones:

1. G-saviour

2. Planet of the apes remake

3. Robot jox (i don't care if it's a cult classic, it sucks)

5. I come in peace

6. Demolition man

However, the all time worst sci-fi film, if it qualifies, is (drum roll)....

Masters of the Universe (1987).

Never have I seen such a travesty. And they say Top Gun has a lot of repressed homosexuality?

Basically, I hate Dolph Lundgren. Even Universal Soldier...I hate him. I'm glad Rocky kicked his ass, and I hate Sly Stallone as well.

wait, what?!? Ok yes G-savior, the Mark Wahlberg Apes remake and Masters of the Universe were all crap but the rest of them?!? Flash Gordon and Last Star Fighter are classics. they're great movies, so much fun and demolition man is funny as hell, even if it was stupid.

as for I come in peace, I've never seen it, but how can you hate Dolph Lundgren? he's the ultimate Russian!

How bad was the Wing Commander movie? I've never seen it, and I'm not gonna spend money on renting it.

Horrible film. Don't bother.

Taksraven

Anyone here have any thoughts on Jumper? That punk Hayden Christensen says a sequel or two may be in the works.

I think they made 1 whole movie on about 2/3 of a finished script.

:edit:

and it had Hayden Christensen in it...

Edited by anime52k8

Here is a pretty definitive list of bad films, SF and otherwise thats a lot of fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Films_considered_the_worst_ever

(There is a bit of an editing war taking place over the page at the moment so some of the "classics" they have introduced me to are not listed. After reading an older list I think I would love to see "Mac and Me"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_and_me )

Taksraven

Anyone here have any thoughts on Jumper? That punk Hayden Christensen says a sequel or two may be in the works.

Not great but certainly not as bad as a lot of people have been saying. I had more of a problem with the acting (or lack thereof) than the actual script. Hayden and Rachel Bilson were just there as eye-candy and Jackson looked silly with that hair.

Taksraven

while technically not true SciFi, it's close enough that it deserves mentioning: Jaws: The Revenge

so bad it was actually worse than Jaws 3-D

also, does this even count as sci-fi:ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever? I've seen it, and I honestly can't even tell what genre it's in, let alone what its about.

I actually like Fifth Element and sorta have a soft sport for the RE movies. I bought all of them on DVD. Never was into the games, so any lack of consistency doesn't bother me.

Graham

i actually liked fifth element after i finally saw it on cable. i guess that i just like bruce willis movies (except for live free or die hard [is that the correct title?]). i liked resident evil too (i haven't seen part 3 yet). i thought that it was gonna suck like all of the other video game movies until my friend rented it and showed it to me. i don't play resident evil so i don't know how close or how far it is compared to the video game.

Here is a pretty definitive list of bad films, SF and otherwise thats a lot of fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Films_considered_the_worst_ever

(There is a bit of an editing war taking place over the page at the moment so some of the "classics" they have introduced me to are not listed. After reading an older list I think I would love to see "Mac and Me"

Taksraven

Mac and Me... is that the movie that the alien became an american citizen at the end? What the?!?

I remembered howard the duck... of course as a kid, you would enjoy it, as an adult however...

Not great but certainly not as bad as a lot of people have been saying. I had more of a problem with the acting (or lack thereof) than the actual script. Hayden and Rachel Bilson were just there as eye-candy and Jackson looked silly with that hair.

Taksraven

You think Hayden is eye candy? Sorry, but I don't swing that way. :ph34r:

Taksraven

Strangely enough, the theme song from that movie became a #1 hit in the Philippines and has been covered by a lot of local artists there.

while technically not true SciFi, it's close enough that it deserves mentioning: Jaws: The Revenge

so bad it was actually worse than Jaws 3-D

also, does this even count as sci-fi:ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever? I've seen it, and I honestly can't even tell what genre it's in, let alone what its about.

I think they both count as Sci-Fi, as their scripts defy logic - and the numerous re-writes of the ending of Jaws: The Revenge is the least of the problems.

I mentioned this movie a couple or so years ago, but never really explained it well. So here it goes:

Evilspeak (1981). When a young cadet is constantly being bullied at his military academy, he takes revenge by communicating with Satan through his computer at the basement of the academy's church and doing his evil deeds.

Now, I vaguely remember majority of the film, as I saw it over 20 years ago. Probably the most memorable part is when the headmaster's secretary has the book of Satan on her desk and she fails to unlock it. Later on, while taking a shower, she is mauled to death by a couple of pigs.

Now, I vaguely remember majority of the film, as I saw it over 20 years ago. Probably the most memorable part is when the headmaster's secretary has the book of Satan on her desk and she fails to unlock it. Later on, while taking a shower, she is mauled to death by a couple of pigs.

I'm interested in seeing this now. :blink:

Bad Taste, Peter Jackson versus aliens. You know it is a great movie as far as how he made it but damn it is just bad, humorously bad.

Bad Taste is a classic. Peter Jackson's best work IMO. It's one of the first titles in my DVD collection. So funny IOMO!

Mmm.........chunky bits!

Or put it this way, I'd rather watch Bad Taste anyday than LotR, which I really struggled to like, despite being a fan of the book since an early age.

Graham